daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 9th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #5301
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

I must've rushed through the article because I didn't see where it said the Pinnacle would still be built. But on news 11 they say the pinnacle construction will begin as soon as the units are sold.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #5302
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

For the past 15 years 75% of all the new home sales in York County has been to Marylanders. I think York is starting to feel some pain from all the development that has happened in that county. This may not be a bad idea at all and we surely should pick up York County as part of our Metro area when the 2010 census is conducted.

York-Baltimore rail line proposed

08/08/07
By Pat van den Beemt

A city councilman in York, Pa., is asking legislators from Pennsylvania and Maryland to consider construction of a rail line between York and Baltimore. Joseph Musso, vice president of the York City Council, introduced a resolution May 1 that was unanimously approved by the five-member council. It asks the governors of Maryland and Pennsylvania to convene a task force to define the feasibility and cost of building the rail line.

Musso's resolution suggested the line follow the existing Heritage Rail Trail, a 21-mile, recreational trail that extends from York to the Maryland state line at Freeland. From there, it would connect to the former Northern Central Railroad Trail, lately renamed the Torrey C. Brown Rail Trail, which runs for 20 miles to Ashland Road in Hunt Valley.

He envisions only a few stops -- in York, at Hunt Valley, at Penn Station in the city and in downtown Baltimore.

"I don't have enough information for a set plan of exactly where a rail line would go. If initially we'd connect to the Light Rail in Hunt Valley and people could get to Baltimore that way, so be it," he said, not offering any details of how the connection would be made. "But eventually we'd need to look at a faster way. If you can't make this trip in as much time as you can drive it, it's not going to work."

Musso said he focused on the Heritage Rail Trail corridor because "we already own the rail line and the right of way; we could move quickly since we wouldn't have to buy land. We wouldn't want the trails to go away, but maybe they could co-exist with a rail line."

He said the line could be either light rail or heavy rail.

Musso's idea of using the bike-and-hike trail bed doesn't sit well with Del. Wade Kach, who represents most of North County in the General Assembly. "I have to give him credit for trying to address the issue of traffic between Baltimore and York," said Kach, who has held town hall meetings and formed committees to deal with local traffic problems. "But I have real concerns about eliminating the hike-and-bike trail and turning it into a mass transit line," he said. "I could not support that."

Musso conceded he had not considered the rail's effect on North County residents. Kach suggested that a rail line built into the median of Interstate 83 connecting Baltimore and York would work best -- but noted there is no median on the Pennsylvania stretch of the highway.

Baltimore County Executive Jim Smith had not yet seen the proposal, so he would not comment, spokeswoman Ellen Kobler said.

Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley has not responded to the proposal, said Sharon Wicker, a spokeswoman for the Maryland Transportation Authority. Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, who represents North County, issued a statement through Lisa Wright, his press secretary.

"The proposal by the York City Council for light rail to Hunt Valley would need to garner support from my constituents, local Maryland town and county and state officials," he said.

Pennsylvania Congressman Todd Russell Platts wrote to Musso after receiving the proposal. "As you are aware, the cost of establishing a light-rail system in the York area would be quite significant. Before I would begin seeking any funds for such a project, I would need to ensure that it has strong support from citizens and elected officials throughout the York area and Maryland," he wrote.

Musso said he hopes to arrange a meeting of key officials from Pennsylvania and Maryland once both states respond.

The resolution also asked managers of York County's public transportation system, Rabbit Transit, to consider running express commuter bus service between York and Baltimore. "We're very much interested and we've already had some conversations with the (Maryland Transit Authority)," said Richard Farr, Rabbit Transit's executive director. "We could probably fill three buses, but we'd have to buy them first."

Rabbit Transit's recently funded, $1.2 million capital budget could be used to purchase the buses, he said. A year ago, Rabbit Transit started commuter bus service between York and Harrisburg, Pa., where it drops passengers off at the state capitol complex.

Rabbit Transit is also developing van-pool service between York and Hunt Valley. Although about 60 people are registered, the service hasn't begun yet because the interested people are scattered around York and York County, Farr said. "As soon as we have 15 people living in the same area who want it, we can get it going," he said.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; August 9th, 2007 at 01:51 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #5303
30 Floors Up

Going Down?

There is a mssive hole in the ground where the new University of Maryland hospital is under construction. Looks like that building will have 3 or 4 levels under ground. I'm going to try and get pictures this weekend.

Since the site is not below the water table, they are making much more progress than the Four Seasons/Legg Mason complex because they could start digging right away without first constructing a slurry wall.
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #5304
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Baltimore Metro Article

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...,4662633.story
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #5305
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

D.C.-based investor buys west-side property
From the August 3, 2007 Print Edition
The Bernstein Management Corp. paid $10.2 million for the building at 300 W. Lexington St. on the city's west side. The property is across the street from the so-called 'superblock.'

'Promise' of city's west side attracts D.C.-based investor
Baltimore Business Journal - August 3, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
Nicholas Griner | Staff
One Market Center sits at Lexington and Howard streets downtown.
View Larger The Bernstein Management Corp., a privately funded Washington, D.C., real estate investment and management group, has picked up its second property in Baltimore, paying about $10.2 million for One Market Center on the city's west side.

The company's foray into this market, which started in May with its acquisition of the eight-story Raleigh Building in the Carroll Camden Industrial Park for $8.8 million, builds upon what already is a record-setting year for commercial real estate sales in Baltimore. Bernstein was one of 11 bidders for the Lexington Street site, of which only two were local firms.

"It's great to see because it's a group that has resisted [Baltimore real estate] in the past," said Robert T. "Bo" Cashman, a local broker with CB Richard Ellis Inc. who represented Bernstein in the sale. "They're a major player in D.C., and Bernstein's now got half-a-million square feet in Baltimore."

A growing number of out-of-state private and institutional investors have entered the Baltimore market this year, bringing the number of investment building sales to more than $300 million. Prominent building sales have included 500 E. Pratt St., the Mercantile Bank & Trust Building, the SunTrust Bank Building and the Blaustein building at One North Charles St.

One Market Center is a seven-story, 202,000-square-foot building on the city's west side. It is adjacent to the so-called "superblock," a blighted area of downtown in which city officials are trying to stimulate new development projects.

In January, the city's spending board passed a $21 million land deal through which the Baltimore Development Corp. will acquire and sell properties in the superblock to private developers planning to launch a $250 million mixed-use development at the site.

Joshua B. Bernstein, president of Bernstein Management, said he believes Baltimore is in the process of a long-term transformation that will make the commercial market a less risky venture for out-of-state investors.

"There's been promise there for a number of years but not much progress," Bernstein said of the superblock. "I like the idea of investing in underserved areas and participating in economic development while, at the same time earning a return on our investment."

There are about 80,000 square feet of vacant space in the building, which is occupied mostly by telecommunications companies. Bernstein bought the property from Murdock Atrium LTD Partnership, which paid $2.2 million for it in April 2002.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #5306
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post

It's about 40 miles from York to Hunt Valley, that seems like an awfully long trip for light rail. Are they any other light rail lines in the world that approach that length? (Aside from our present one which I believe it a little over 30 miles long).

Also, York to Hunt Valley without any stops in between? Not that there is much to stop for along the way, but imagine getting on the wrong train. You'd have to go all the way down to Baltimore before you could turn around and come back!!!

It would be interesting if someone proposed a layout whereby we laid tracks from Penn Station through Baltimore and out to Hunt Valley along the lines of the future Yellow Line and then all the way out to York. The system could run two lines - one that traveled between Penn Station and Hunt Valley with a number of stops in between, and another that traveled between Penn Station and York in an express manner, only stopping at Hunt Valley.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #5307
scando

Likes (Received): 453

Quote:
For the past 15 years 75% of all the new home sales in York County has been to Marylanders. I think York is starting to feel some pain from all the development that has happened in that county. This may not be a bad idea at all and we surely should pick up York County as part of our Metro area when the 2010 census is conducted.

08/08/07
By Pat van den Beemt

A city councilman in York, Pa., is asking legislators from Pennsylvania and Maryland to consider construction of a rail line between York and Baltimore. Joseph Musso, vice president of the York City Council, introduced a resolution May 1 that was unanimously approved by the five-member council. It asks the governors of Maryland and Pennsylvania to convene a task force to define the feasibility and cost of building the rail line.
I have run across this story several times over the past few years and always get a chuckle. We can't get transit right inside the Baltimore metro area and we'd worry about commuters from York? I have a bunch of relations and aquaintances who moved to areas around York and Shrewsbury to get away from the cost and nastiness of Baltimore and to save $200 per year in taxes. They thought that they lived in what would be the last suburb to be built in PA. Surprise...suburbs in S York county have grown like Kudzu and people who used to have a serene drive down I83 or Hanover Pike are now stuck in traffic. Duh. Never saw that coming. Now a York coucilman wants us to tear up the beautiful North Central Trail and spend our money so we can help these willing refugees expedite their commute. This is one time I'm glad that MD doesn't fund transit adequately.
scando no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #5308
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I have run across this story several times over the past few years and always get a chuckle. We can't get transit right inside the Baltimore metro area and we'd worry about commuters from York? I have a bunch of relations and aquaintances who moved to areas around York and Shrewsbury to get away from the cost and nastiness of Baltimore and to save $200 per year in taxes. They thought that they lived in what would be the last suburb to be built in PA. Surprise...suburbs in S York county have grown like Kudzu and people who used to have a serene drive down I83 or Hanover Pike are now stuck in traffic. Duh. Never saw that coming. Now a York coucilman wants us to tear up the beautiful North Central Trail and spend our money so we can help these willing refugees expedite their commute. This is one time I'm glad that MD doesn't fund transit adequately.

Well said!
southbalto no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #5309
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

What are they going to call it "The Pennsyltucky Express"?

Would the first day of hunting season become a paid holiday by the MTA?
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #5310
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Ha!

Unfortunately, the best places to hunt are starting to sprout McMansions and Tupperware townehomes. Soon it'll just be bowhunting off the back deck by the dawn's early light. Not that I would, mind you.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #5311
30 Floors Up

My Little Pennsylvania Rant!

Scando, I agree with most everything you said except for one thing - taxes. They didn't save anything in taxes. Pennsylvania, being a Commonwealth and not a State, has so many layers of government it isn't funny. They have Burough, Township, County and State taxes, and when you add them all together they equate to what you pay here. There are often 7 or 8 different school systems and police departments in each county, and they all have their own chiefs, administrators, and overhead. They tax you for being alive - Per Capita Tax. They tax you for working - Occupation Tax. It's insane. So you pay the same amount of taxes and get nothing in return. In Maryland, you at least get some services.

They do no planning what so ever at a county level. Some areas of the state don't even have zoning. When Maryland instituted Smart Growth, all the developers just went north across the state line and started building. In short, Pennsylvania is a mess when it comes to development.

BTW, I call it Bedrock because it is a rock based econony. They use rocks on the road when it snows instead of salt, so the roads are snow covered for weeks. They use rocks to pave roads - tar and chip - which destroys your car and lasts about 2 years. So instead of using asphalt which will last 20 years, they throw down oil and rocks every 2 years right on schedule. Everything up there is based on rocks. If I owned a quarry I'd be filthy rich. That is part of the reason the roads, including the Interstates, are an absolute mess.

They even have thier own currancy - the mill. Your property taxes go up by "mills" not by dollars and cents. WTF is a "mill" and why can't they use the same monetary units as the rest of the county?

And while I'm at it, all beer and liquor is sold throgh state run stores. If you want to by a single beer or a 6 pack on a Sunday, they won't sell you that, but they will sell you a case. I kid you not. I lived there for almost 13 years and I never bought any alcohol in PA. I bought all mine in Maryland and "smuggled" it home.

Pennsylvania = INSANITY!

P.S. TRUE STORY I recieved a notification from the board of elections in my old Pennsylvania county last week. They used the change of address I had filed with the Post Office and sent it to me in Baltimore. They enclosed a form and checked the box that indicated they "couldn't determine if I had moved within Franklin County or not". They then asked for a bunch of personal information including SSN, Drivers License Number, etc. This is what I sent back to them along with the blank form that they sent me.

"Dear Franklin County Voter Registration Office

This form was recently sent to my new address by your office. Someone there actually typed the city and state on the envelope I received it in. The state noted on the envelope was Maryland. For your information, Maryland is not located in Franklin county. In fact, Maryland isn't even in Pennsylvania!

Now I know that the school systems in Franklin County are horrid, so your employee most likely didn’t know that Maryland is a state. May I suggest that you send your brightest employee, the one with an IQ above 80, to remedial geography class so that they can learn the difference between cities, counties, and states. Perhaps then this office can stop squandering tax dollars by sending out mailings like this.

Furthermore, even if I had moved to a different address within Franklin County I would not provide the information you are requesting because, quite frankly, it is none of Franklin County’s business. You have no need to know this information. All you need to know is that I am over 18 years old, my street address, party registration, and name.

Regards,"

I checked because I couldn't believe they could be that dumb. Sure enough, what I had recieved was a legitimate letter and not some Phishing scam to get personal information! Do I sound bitter? Please don't answer that!

Sorry for the deviation from "Development News", but it is slow around Baltimore these days.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; August 9th, 2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #5312
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

I can't figure it out. They plop these McMansions down in the middle of a cow pasture on 1/2 acre lots and people buy them. In 10 years or so you might even have a real tree growing in your yard!

All I know is that I never want to live in a house where somebody can cut their way in with a razor knife.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #5313
cgunna
2A

Quote:
Scando, I agree with most everything you said except for one thing - taxes. They didn't save anything in taxes. Pennsylvania, being a Commonwealth and not a State, has so many layers of government it isn't funny. They have Burough, Township, County and State taxes, and when you add them all together they equate to what you pay here. There are often 7 or 8 different school systems and police departments in each county, and they all have their own chiefs, administrators, and overhead. They tax you for being alive - Per Capita Tax. They tax you for working - Occupation Tax. It's insane. So you pay the same amount of taxes and get nothing in return. In Maryland, you at least get some services.

They do no planning what so ever at a county level. Some areas of the state don't even have zoning. When Maryland instituted Smart Growth, all the developers just went north across the state line and started building. In short, Pennsylvania is a mess when it comes to development.

BTW, I call it Bedrock because it is a rock based econony. They use rocks on the road when it snows instead of salt, so the roads are snow covered for weeks. They use rocks to pave roads - tar and chip - which destroys your car and lasts about 2 years. So instead of using asphalt which will last 20 years, they throw down oil and rocks every 2 years right on schedule. Everything up there is based on rocks. If I owned a quarry I'd be filthy rich. That is part of the reason the roads, including the Interstates, are an absolute mess.

They even have thier own currancy - the mill. Your property taxes go up by "mills" not by dollars and cents. WTF is a "mill" and why can't they use the same monetary units as the rest of the county?

And while I'm at it, all beer and liquor is sold throgh state run stores. If you want to by a single beer or a 6 pack on a Sunday, they won't sell you that, but they will sell you a case. I kid you not. I lived there for almost 13 years and I never bought any alcohol in PA. I bought all mine in Maryland and "smuggled" it home.

Pennsylvania = INSANITY!

P.S. TRUE STORY I recieved a notification from the board of elections in my old Pennsylvania county last week. They used the change of address I had filed with the Post Office and sent it to me in Baltimore. They enclosed a form and checked the box that indicated they "couldn't determine if I had moved within Franklin County or not". They then asked for a bunch of personal information including SSN, Drivers License Number, etc. This is what I sent back to them along with the blank form that they sent me.

This form was recently sent to my new address by your office. Someone there actually typed the city and state on the envelope I received it in. The state noted on the envelope was Maryland. For your information, Maryland is not located in Franklin county. In fact, Maryland isn't even in Pennsylvania!

Now I know that the school systems in Franklin County are horrid, so your employee most likely didnít know that Maryland is a state. May I suggest that you send your brightest employee, the one with an IQ above 80, to remedial geography class so that they can learn the difference between cities, counties, and states. Perhaps then this office can stop squandering tax dollars by sending out mailings like this.

Furthermore, even if I had moved to a different address within Franklin County I would not provide the information you are requesting because, quite frankly, it is none of Franklin Countyís business. You have no need to know this information. All you need to know is that I am over 18 years old, my street address, party registration, and name.

Regards,"

I checked because I couldn't believe they could be that dumb. Sure enough, what I had recieved was a legitimate letter and not some Phishing scam to get personal information! Do I sound bitter? Please don't answer that!

Sorry for the deviation from "Development News", but it is slow around Baltimore these days.
lol

classic rant!
cgunna no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #5314
MobtownManiac
Charm City Ambassador

Likes (Received): 0

I lived in PA for 5 years. York County, in fact. You couldn't pay me enough to live there again. We had a blizzard here in MD one year. I was driving up a plowed, salted, clear I-83 at a good clip - until I hit the PA line. Then I was skidding, sliding, and trying desperately to control my car on what seemed to be a 6-inch thick pad of ice. This was about 5 days after the storm - they hadn't done anything!!

I love it when people in MD complain about our roads. Head north for a while & then maybe you'll understand how good we have it down here.

That said, I'm not opposed to extending a line to our expatriots... if it's all part of a larger plan that includes the Red, Yellow, and Green lines all coming to fruition as heavy rail. This "maybe light rail or maybe buses" crap is so shortsighted. Frustrating!
MobtownManiac no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #5315
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Pennsylvania = INSANITY!

Now I know that the school systems in Franklin County are horrid, so your employee most likely didn’t know that Maryland is a state. May I suggest that you send your brightest employee, the one with an IQ above 80, to remedial geography class so that they can learn the difference between cities, counties, and states. Perhaps then this office can stop squandering tax dollars by sending out mailings like this.

Furthermore, even if I had moved to a different address within Franklin County I would not provide the information you are requesting because, quite frankly, it is none of Franklin County’s business. You have no need to know this information. All you need to know is that I am over 18 years old, my street address, party registration, and name.

Regards,"

^Thats why I love you 30 Floors...Hilarious
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #5316
30 Floors Up

To make amends for my last post:

City unveils superblock plans
Baltimore Business Journal - 3:04 PM EDT Thursday, August 9, 2007 by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

A 35-story office building, a hotel, and more than 20,000 square feet of retail space are among the options being considered for the Baltimore City revitalization project on the city's west side called the superblock.

Baltimore Development Corp. President M.J. "Jay" Brodie, during a press conference Thursday afternoon, unveiled conceptual plans for a portion of the superblock -- a long-delayed endeavor in an economically depressed part of downtown -- being developed by the Cordish Co. and the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation.

The idea of the project, which will combine with a larger plan for the area being launched by Lexington Square Partners LLC, is to create a thriving retail environment to fill the void created when four major department stores at Lexington and Howard streets closed up several decades ago.

Cordish and Weinberg have developed two scenarios for their portion of the superblock, which is bounded by Park Avenue, Howard, Clay and Lexington streets.

The first possibility, estimated to cost $26 million, would include lining Lexington Street with two levels of more than 20,000 square feet of retail space, an undetermined amount of office space, and two levels of parking to accommodate about 100 vehicles.

The second option, dependent upon Cordish and Weinberg being able to sign a major tenant, would be to build a 35-story office and residential tower to include 10 levels of parking. Brodie said there is the possibility there could be other uses as well, including a hotel or an entertainment component like Cordish's successful Power Plant and Power Plant Live projects along Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

"What we want is an exciting West Lexington Street at the pedestrian level," Brodie said, hoping for an environment where people will want to walk along the streets, shop and find places to eat.

Ronald M. Kreitner, executive director of Westside Renaissance Inc., said he is encouraged by the plan but concedes there is still far to go before the superblock becomes a vibrant pedestrian area. "It represents a very bold vision for development here on the west side," Kreitner said. "Development is proceeding incrementally, and I think we all hope that it can proceed at a faster pace so you get maximum synergies."

Brodie said the Social Security Administration is one of the possible tenants for the office tower, as well as other federal government agencies. The federal agency is in the process of seeking out space in Baltimore City to relocate from its Greene Street headquarters.

Brodie said neither Lexington Square nor the Cordish-Weinberg team has requested financial assistance from the city. Still, Brodie did not dismiss the possibility Cordish might request financial assistance if it decides to develop an office tower with a parking garage. He said he could not recall a single example of a parking garage being built within Baltimore City over the past several years that has not been built without financial assistance from the city.

Most recently, the BDC backed a $33 million financial incentives package for construction of a new headquarters for Legg Mason Inc. (NYSE: LM) at Harbor East, a project which will include a substantial underground parking garage. Brodie said the Cordish-Weinberg project could take about a year to design and seek approvals from the city, and another two years to build.
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #5317
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 141

Thats ok I enjoyed the PA rant too..and BTW remind me never to flame you on here.
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #5318
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
[b]Brodie said the Cordish-Weinberg project could take about a year to design and seek approvals from the city, and another two years to build.
Gee wiz!! We've already seen the main bulk of the superblock renderings that includes the two fourteen-story residential buildings, so you mean to tell me that they wouldn't get started on this other part for another three years? Why so long? The reason i'm asking is because this is only a portion of ths superblock.

Last edited by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore; August 9th, 2007 at 11:26 PM.
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #5319
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

i lasted 2 years in york and i had to get out! if anything, i think we should build a nice toll plaza at the state line so all of the commuters can chip in to help fund the services they use in our fine state. a buck a head everyday? now THAT would solve some budget issues!

york....i won't even stop there for gas.
quabex no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #5320
cgunna
2A

The good news is that SSA is part of the plans. I can't think of a stronger tenant for the office portion of the development.

The bad news, is clearly, the whole 2-3 years thing....
cgunna no está en línea  

Closed Thread