daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 6th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #581
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
It was said before how irregular the land parcel is for 300 East Pratt. No matter what goes there the structure will look very sleek and slender when looking from Federal Hill. However, if I could choose one it would be the older rendering; probably because it has a unique style not seen downtown.
I do like the "waterfall" design.

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #582
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

We have to hope 1 Light

street get sold. Clarke does not have the cash to build any thing. He is correct that he is waiting for an offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
I hope he's just kidding around! That comment, and its the first one to represent this, doesn't sound promising.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #583
scando

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
^Maybe once we build the Hilton and all the other new and converted hotels we can knock down that damn ugly Holiday and Days Inn.

My God, they are waste of space eyesores!

Forgive me, but what jackass designed that and what nimrod approved that Holiday Inn?--it mars the whole block!

Nate
The Holiday Inn was built quite a while ago, like early 60's, when nobody expected much in the city, a miracle at the time. I hear that it had a rotating restaurant on the roof (that round attachment that is still there but doesn't rotate anymore) and that it turned around once every 60 minutes so diners could see the entire "skyline" of that day. I've attended many meetings in that top room. The inside of the building isn't too bad. Not much on the outside but be careful about your comments, lest someone declare it historical.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #584
scando

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post
I know that Lockwood Place originally was intended to be taller than it is, but the plans got scrapped for logistical reasons. And I think it's great how the space is filling up with quality retail right now, but... man is that space depressing to me when I drive by it and see how small it is, especially considering how it sits on the city's main drag.

Is there any way that somewhere along the line, the building could be built upon to add additional stories to it, perhaps for more prime office space, on top of the already established street retail? Or is that just an impossible dream?
It would be an interesting project to build over the top of the retail building. I'm no engineer, but having watched it being built, my gut says that the lean steel structure was not meant to support additional stories. There was a brief plan to build a much taller structure on the site, but the developer backed out very suddenly when a few minor questions were asked by the city planners.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #585
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Haha come on Clarke you are killing us. I guess we should have expected such a response. I like the old rendering for 300 E Pratt better but I'm coming around to the idea that the newer one could be good and that the rendering will be further improved before it's built.

I also thought the same about the Hilton Hotel, and the prison is still going up so what do I know?
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #586
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 312

Broadway Market may get update

ambitious plan to overhaul a swath of land along Broadway in Baltimore’s Fells Point neighborhood has moved closer to reality, securing approval from a city design panel and neighborhood groups.

The Marketplace at Fells Point is the brainchild of Baltimore businessmen Daniel Winner and David Holmes, who two years ago began quietly buying up properties between Thames and Fleet streets. The two want to push investment further north from the Fells Point waterfront to rejuvenate the onetime shipping hub turned entertainment destination. Now, $15 million later, the investors have amassed nearly 50 properties that together form a key-shaped development parcel where they have proposed major renovations and new construction.

“This project is really about restoration and retail,” said Holmes, who owns the company Blueprint Concepts LLC. “We want to restore it back to its historic fabric.”

The project’s focal point would include a facelift for the Broadway Market, located between Fleet and Aliceanna streets. The market is now largely vacant, with only a few vendors still in operation. Winner and Holmes have proposed restoring the market to its original design, which included a second story that was destroyed in a fire. The team would retrofit the market for two, larger tenants, such as a restaurant and a book store. The public market just south of Aliceanna Street would continue its traditional vending function.

The Marketplace at Fells Point would also bring renovations of commercial storefronts, including the spots where restaurants Crabby Dick’s and Fells Point Station operated before Winner and Holmes bought the buildings. A nine-story tower could also rise at the corner of Bethel and Fleet streets, including five stories of parking and four stories of either residential or office use.

All told, the project could include 40,000 square feet of retail space, either 65 residential units or 80,000 square feet of office space and 250 parking spaces. More open space and street improvements are also planned to give the area a “town center” vibe.

Tracy Gosson, who just stepped down as the executive director of Live Baltimore, a nonprofit that promotes city living, thinks Marketplace at Fells Point will help connect East Baltimore with new investments downtown.

“Fells Point has just kind of been bypassed,” said Gosson, who is acting as a consultant to Winner and Holmes. “Harbor East has taken off, Canton has taken off, and somehow Fells Point kind of just missed the money that’s coming in.”

The neighborhood is a favorite watering hole for Baltimore locals and a destination for tourists. But, vacant and crumbling buildings are interspersed with stylish boutiques and restaurants on the drive into Fells Point from downtown.

“The 600 block of Broadway has been a serious blight on our business district for a number of years now,” said Jeremy Fennema, president of the Fells Point Development Corp. “There’s really a community effort to develop this area.”

Many of the properties Winner and Holmes bought were vacant or rundown. But neighborhood residents are not willing to put just anything in their place. They want to see Fells Point revitalized without losing its quirky identity.

“I think the development corporation would like to see a lot of local business here,” Fennema said. “Chains can be an anchor and a draw for an area, but you don’t need that in Fells Point. You have good, solid businesses down here.”

Winner and Holmes spent the last year meeting with community organizations to collaborate on development plans. They wanted neighborhood support before presenting formal plans to the city.

With the community’s blessings in tow, the group last week received conceptual approval from the city’s Urban Design and Architectural Review Panel. Councilman James B. Kraft, whose district includes Fells Point, will submit legislation to the City Council next week that would allow the project to move forward.

Winner and Holmes do have to surmount a few obstacles before they can begin construction, such as gaining approvals from the council and the city Planning Commission. The team also hopes to secure a long-term lease in the Broadway Market, which is now owned and operated by the city. Winner and Holmes are searching for an equity partner to co-develop the project, which would cost about $50 million to complete. They also hope to obtain public assistance, such as tax credits and low-interest loans, none of which has been approved yet.

If everything moves according to plan, Winner and Holmes could begin construction this year and be done in the next 18 to 24 months.

“It will have a very immediate impact,” Gosson said of the project

Good news for fells point and the market. The market is in SAD shape!!
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #587
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

I liked this rendering for one light street. anyone know how old it is or who designed it? what happened to it?
House3780 no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #588
jpav

Likes (Received): 0

I think Clark is what happened to it. That is a nice looking building though. If he sells it I don't believe the new developer will go with that rendering. Looking forward to the Fells Point Development.
jpav no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #589
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Clark is a PRICK. There was no need to respond to a polite e-mail like that.

Anyone remember one of his other responses when someone criticized the ugly public housing looking building he proposed for that site? His response was in Italian I believe, and it translated into "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", or something like that. He appears to be very arrogant.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #590
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

anyone have any idea how much coin 1 Light street could fetch on the open market???

any guesses?
cgunna no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #591
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Challenge to razing dropped
Baltimore Heritage ends fight with Mercy over historic houses
By Jill Rosen
Sun reporter
Originally published February 6, 2007

Baltimore Heritage dropped yesterday its fierce two-month battle to save a row of historic downtown houses, clearing the way for Mercy Medical Center's $292 million expansion and exposing divisions among preservation advocates.

Officials with the preservation group lamented losing the 1820s-era homes - particularly so soon after their fight to save the 100-year-old Rochambeau apartment building ended badly. However, they said they had to pull the plug on what was becoming a costly, time-consuming and, perhaps, ultimately pointless exercise.

"We felt we would just be in the spot of being obstructionists rather than preservationists," said Julian L. Lapides, the president of Baltimore Heritage and a former state lawmaker. "Even if we won our suit it would be a one-year delay. We just decided we didn't want to be in the posture of obstructionists."

The move cancels a city appeals hearing set for today and will allow Mercy to begin razing the houses along the 300 block of St. Paul Place to hasten construction of a new inpatient tower.

"We were very pleased when they told us they were going to drop their objections and let us move forward," said Gary N. Michael, Mercy's senior vice president of marketing. This "keeps us on our original plan of construction."

Once word spread last fall that the City Council had, at Mercy's request, removed the historic protections from the homes, lovers of historic architecture rallied around the red-brick buildings and condemned City Hall for turning to stealthy tactics to speed up the hospital's expansion.

By dropping its challenge to the demolition, Baltimore Heritage has dismayed some preservationists - even some of the group's board members - who hoped to send a stronger message to city leaders.

"I always felt that the matter most important here was one of principle," said attorney John C. Murphy, a Baltimore Heritage board member. "If you allow this process for removing protected properties from legislation - and without anyone knowing about it - it's a very bad situation. I'm very disappointed."

As part of the agreement to drop the challenge, Mercy offered to donate money to a city preservation cause - the details of which are still being worked out, hospital officials say.

Some preservationists appreciate the hospital's gesture, but to others it smacks of a payoff.

"Mercy obviously would not have made the payment unless the appeal stopped," Murphy said. "It's not possible to see this as anything but what it is."

Though the hospital announced its expansion plans in 2005, the situation came to a head this fall when City Councilman Keiffer J. Mitchell Jr., at Mercy's request, drafted an amendment to an otherwise innocuous bill that removed the houses from a list of "notable" properties - a designation that required a one-year waiting period before demolition, among other things.

Preservation advocates - even the city's Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation - knew nothing of the action until the bill was signed into law.

The city then granted the hospital a demolition permit, which Baltimore Heritage quickly appealed, citing violations of open government standards.

The meat of the argument involved city officials failing to change the title of the bill after Mitchell's amendment. City law requires bill titles to reflect the substance of the legislation.

While many thought that their argument carried some legal heft, Baltimore Heritage officials said that as the appeal costs mounted, they realized the best they could hope for was getting the "notable" status reinstated and making Mercy wait a year to begin demolition.

In 2006 alone, legal fees cost the organization $7,500, a substantial portion of its $75,000 annual budget.

Over the past few weeks, the hospital and the preservationists have met to try to find a compromise. Nothing worked.

Last month, Mercy offered to spend $400,000 to rebuild one of the houses in a city museum. But engineers the hospital hired to assess the proposal's feasibility said it would be impossible.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #592
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

let the rising of the crane begin!!!!

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; February 6th, 2007 at 08:38 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #593
waj0527

Likes (Received): 499

What ever happened to Microsoft opening a Baltimore office?
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #594
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
What ever happened to Microsoft opening a Baltimore office?
^ good question! ^

And what the heck is going into the Fuddruckers space on Pratt?
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #595
getontrac

I wanna see a rendering of the proposed Mercy building.

Is that too much to ask for before demolition?

At least the horrid Calvert St garage will be history!
What an eyesore!!!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #596
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post

Good news for fells point and the market. The market is in SAD shape!!
I agree, Balmurfan. I think this project will be a positive one. I really hope the architects give us a fantastic design though. I would hate to see Fell's Points mainstreet ruined by just mediocre architecture.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #597
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
I wanna see a rendering of the proposed Mercy building.

Is that too much to ask for before demolition?

At least the horrid Calvert St garage will be history!
What an eyesore!!!

Nate
I agree Nate.

I love that old One Light Street proposal. It has the old look to it like the B of A building yet has a nice modern glass look to it. I'd be thrilled with that.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #598
Brian21

Yeah that design is from like 4 yrs ago. That is my favorite proposal of that site. It would have been 35 flrs and close to 500ft tall. Though the tower looks awesome in that older rendering, I think it would have been unbelievable if it were say 700+ ft! Plus it would have had 2 spires/antennas on the top. Would have had a Sears tower look to it. WOW....*begins to imagine*
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #599
rxsoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
anyone have any idea how much coin 1 Light street could fetch on the open market???

any guesses?
my guess is whatever it is, clarke wants more! Why else would he be unable to find a buyer for as long as he's been managing it? With all the people interested in buying properties in baltimore, the fact this hasn't sold yet is probably because he thinks its worth more than it is.... guess that goes along with the arrogance comment made earlier.
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #600
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
Yeah that design is from like 4 yrs ago. That is my favorite proposal of that site. It would have been 35 flrs and close to 500ft tall. Though the tower looks awesome in that older rendering, I think it would have been unbelievable if it were say 700+ ft! Plus it would have had 2 spires/antennas on the top. Would have had a Sears tower look to it. WOW....*begins to imagine*
That is the second plan for 1 light. I'm pretty sure that Peter Fillat was the architect. My favorite is the original that was planned in the late 80's early nineties. It was awesome. Somebody posted an image of it about a year ago. does anybody still have it? Steven? Wadaguy? Somebody?

Closed Thread