daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 6th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #601
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

Are you talking about the older proposal that kinda resembled the BoA tower? or the Futuristic looking proposal.

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #602
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

yeah, it had a V-shape at the top of it and had the name "ONE" at the top. i actually like that one better than the others. i remember that one very well.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #603
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
That is the second plan for 1 light. I'm pretty sure that Peter Fillat was the architect. My favorite is the original that was planned in the late 80's early nineties. It was awesome. Somebody posted an image of it about a year ago. does anybody still have it? Steven? Wadaguy? Somebody?
I guess it's time for me to refresh our memories on the renderings of old.

Here it goes:

One Light Street proposals minus one I can't find just yet.

Old Wyndham proposal

Federal Hill High-rise proposals

300 East Pratt Street proposals

Remember this model?

Harbor Tower

Random proposals:

Whew!

How's that?
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #604
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Thanks, Steven. That's the first time I've seena few of those photos. What were these two projects? And how long ago were they?

(This one kind of looks like the Wachovia Tower here in Miami)

PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #605
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Also, if anyone is interested, there is a rendering on Design Collective's website of Harborview that includes part of the Pinnacle tower off to the side. As far as I know, it's a rendering that has never been posted here before. If you're interested, go to www.designcollective.com then go to Portfolio -> Architecture -> Urban Development -> Waterfront -> Harborview
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #606
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
I guess it's time for me to refresh our memories on the renderings of old.

Here it goes:

One Light Street proposals minus one I can't find just yet.

Old Wyndham proposal

Federal Hill High-rise proposals

300 East Pratt Street proposals

Remember this model?

Harbor Tower

Random proposals:

Whew!

How's that?
Why has none of those proposals went into fruitation?????????????????????
harlem87 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #607
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Personally, I think Baltimore has done well with the architecture we do have. I would have taken 100 E. Pratt any day over that sombre tower proposed for the lot adjacent to 25 S. Charles (proposed as the Baltimore Financial Center). Commerce Place, 100 E. Pratt, the World Trade Center, and the Bank of America Building will all, in my eye, look forever vibrant, perhaps forever modern. I wouldn't have wanted the "Batman" version of One Light with the huge sign, although I would have taken the version that looks like a modified and enlarged commerce place, or the one with the dual masts/no lettering any day. In my opinion, downtown's only major building "failures" are the Equitable, which looks stern and dull on the outside, 36 S. Charles, 25 S. Charles, the extension on the BGE building at Charles Center, and the Mechanic. Not too bad considering that we could have really tacky 60s buildings when instead we got One Charles Center, which still looks graceful and sleek. I'm not sure where to place 500 E. Pratt or 111 S. Calvert in my mind, but I know that I love 750 E. Pratt.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #608
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

That was the Provident" tower proposal back in the late 80's, I believe.
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #609
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
Why has none of those proposals went into fruitation?????????????????????
5 of those projects will be built. 2 others "may". the others are gone........
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #610
Brian21

Man...I love that model that shows what the skyline would look like if all those proposals were built.
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #611
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
5 of those projects will be built. 2 others "may". the others are gone........
And to think that if ALL of those proposals have gone into fruitation, Baltimore would have been on the same level as Charlotte, Richmond, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Philly and Boston.

But now Baltimore is still struggling to escape from the city of depression stigma the has lasted for several decades.

Until Baltimore get rid of the corruptionist anti-progressive communists, the city will continue to repeat past history of failed/stalled Upscale Development.
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #612
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
Man...I love that model that shows what the skyline would look like if all those proposals were built.

After seeing all of those beautiful proposals of the past that never became of reality; I am more doubtful that most of the new proposals will become of fruitation.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #613
Javalady1

Those capable of vision and perseverance often succeed.
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #614
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
I wanna see a rendering of the proposed Mercy building.

Is that too much to ask for before demolition?

At least the horrid Calvert St garage will be history!
What an eyesore!!!

Nate
Speaking of Mercy, I've been to the City Clinic there at 323 N. Calvert 3 times in the past week for my shoulder.

I got the preliminary results from MRI: torn rotator cuff and fractured tuberosity and Hill Sacks deformity (among other things).

Going back on Thursday to visit the orthopedic surgeon...doesn't look good....surgery seems imminent. I'm already pretty much on desk duty, which is good, 'cause that's where the most important work is these days, but I don't want to think of the recovery period! Ugh!!

It's ruining my social life--hence I'm on the computer way too much!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #615
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Speaking of Mercy, I've been to the City Clinic there at 323 N. Calvert 3 times in the past week for my shoulder.

I got the preliminary results from MRI: torn rotator cuff and fractured tuberosity and Hill Sacks deformity (among other things).

Going back on Thursday to visit the orthopedic surgeon...doesn't look good....surgery seems imminent. I'm already pretty much on desk duty, which is good, 'cause that's where the most important work is these days, but I don't want to think of the recovery period! Ugh!!

It's ruining my social life--hence I'm on the computer way too much!

Nate
What the heck did you do to yourself?
BalWash no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #616
getontrac

On The Job Injury--in Gwynns Falls Park, pesky hillsides, trash clean-ups....

...far past bedtime now.....

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #617
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
That was the Provident" tower proposal back in the late 80's, I believe.
That would be correct. IIRC, this was to be over 600 feet. I forget what happened, but it came close to being built. I remember driving by the site many times to see if anything was going on. It looked like work was imminent at one point...sediment barriers went up around the block...but it was not to be. The Weinberg Center (Mercy Hospital) and a garage were eventually built there.
micrip no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #618
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javalady1 View Post
Those capable of vision and perseverance often succeed.
Exactly. I don't really know too many pesimists that succeed,
whatever the accomplishment sought after. (Including trying to persuade people to believe what's being said)
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #619
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Latest bankruptcy gives Sunny's Surplus a gloomy forecast
Baltimore Business Journal - February 2, 2007by Rachel SamsStaff
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
Nicholas Griner
Sunny’s Surplus store in Ellicott City.
View Larger Well-known local retailer Sunny's Surplus has filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy for the second time in seven years.

The last time, the military surplus and outdoor equipment chain resorted to bankruptcy in hopes of saving the business. But this time, it looks like Sunny's 58-year history could come to an end. The chain received bankruptcy court approval Jan. 31 to hold a going-out-of-business sale at its 15 stores, court documents show.

Elkridge-based Sunny's filed bankruptcy in Baltimore's U.S. District Court on Jan. 26. Companies typically use Chapter 11 to reorganize debt, as Sunny's did in its previous bankruptcy. But some companies choose to liquidate in Chapter 11 rather than Chapter 7 in hopes of having more control over the sale of assets -- and possibly obtaining a higher price for them.

Over the past several years, Sunny's sales were roughly flat, and competition from big-box retailers cut into Sunny's profitability, attorney Joel Sher said at a hearing in the bankruptcy case Jan. 31. Sunny's took cost-cutting steps last year, court documents show. But the warm fall and winter seasons "wreaked havoc" on Sunny's holiday sales, the company said in court filings.

The holiday season is typically a make-or-break time for retailers, when they make a significant amount of their profits for the year. Sher noted at the hearing that a snow storm forecast for Feb. 1 was "six weeks too late for the debtor." Sales at Sunny's stores open at least a year fell by about 60 percent from the previous holiday season, Sher said.

That pushed Sunny's into a "severe liquidity crisis," the company said in court documents. Sunny's has not been able to make routine inventory purchases for several months and owes $2 million to the Morris Weinman Co., its majority stockholder, according to court documents.

Sunny's CEO Benjamin Gilbert declined to comment.

Sunny's was founded in 1948 by Morris Weinman, selling military surplus items left over from World War II to blue-collar Baltimore workers. Today, Sunny's sells camping, boating and other sports equipment in addition to clothing and outerwear. The company's main competitors are national outdoor retail chains, such as REI and Dick's Sporting Goods, and regional chains like Hudson Trail Outfitters, according to court documents.

Sunny's bankruptcy filings offered one glint of hope for survival: Once assets are liquidated, the company said it "will determine whether it can revive its business in a smaller format." The Weinman Co. owns six of Sunny's store locations, and there is a possibility that officials could start up the business again in the family-owned stores once Sunny's immediate debts are paid off, attorney Sher said in court.

"Candidly, Your Honor, it's probably unlikely," Sher said, but Sunny's executives still hold out some hope.

Sunny's had total sales of $11 million in 2006 and employs 150, court documents show.

As the retail business has changed, Sunny's has undergone several makeovers. It began adding camping gear and "value priced irregular apparel" to its offerings during the recessions of the 1970s and 1980s, according to its Web site. In 1990, Sunny's changed its name to "Sunny's The Affordable Outdoor Store." Later in the decade, under a new CEO who came from discount retail chain Family Dollar, Sunny's de-emphasized its military surplus offerings and aggressively expanded, growing to 26 locations and hoping to go public.

It was too much. The company took refuge in Chapter 11 and sold off stores. More recently, Sunny's refocused on military surplus and returned to its original name.

Sunny's bankruptcy filing did not detail the company's holdings, beyond saying that both assets and liabilities are in the range of $1 million to $100 million.

Sunny's wants to complete its going-out-of-business sale by the end of March, according to court documents. Its stores are located in Maryland, Virginia and Delaware.

Old February 7th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #620
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Which "300" do you like better?

or...

definitely the 2nd one. hands down.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  

Closed Thread