daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 7th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #621
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

More Light Rail malaise...

Train strikes woman in Linthicum, severs foot
MTA: Pedestrian did not move from tracks as train approached

By a Sun Reporter

February 7, 2007, 9:09 AM EST

A woman lost a foot after being struck by a light rail train this morning in Linthicum, a spokeswoman for the Maryland Transit Administration said.

At about 7 a.m., a pedestrian who appeared to be in her 30s stepped in front of a moving train at the BWI Business Park stop, according to Holly Henderson, an MTA spokeswoman. The operator of the train sounded the horn several times but the woman did not respond or move from the tracks, Henderson said.

The pedestrian was struck by the train and -- while being dragged for about 20 feet -- her foot was severed, according to Henderson.

The woman, who has not been identified, was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Her condition is unknown.

Light rail service resumed after 8 a.m. and trains were running about 20 minutes behind schedule, Henderson said.
Copyright © 2007, The Baltimore Sun | Get Sun home delivery

> Get news on your mobile device at www.baltimoresun.com

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #622
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...ness-headlines

Quote:
As news broke earlier this week that the landmark Senator Theatre on the other side of York Road could be sold at foreclosure auction, business at Belvedere Square was booming. But retailers said yesterday that while they were confident that the shopping center had attained its own momentum, the Senator contributed to the mix.

how could the Senator be close to foreclosure? Baltimore only has a few good theatres and this is one of them. Alot of cities would love to have a theatre like this as well. I hope it stays open.

Remember when 12 Monkeys was filmed there?
I remember going to the Senator with my grade school due to its proximity to the city and its classy environment, which is extremely hard to find at commercial theatres.
One time in recent memory I saw the Hopkins Lacrosse team and the Gilman Football team in there , both seeing Sea Biscuit(if I recall correctly). This is truly a community theatre and alot of cities would love to have a place like the Senator. Closing it down would be unacceptable.

Last edited by Baltimoreborn1; February 7th, 2007 at 04:56 PM.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #623
tonyBmore
The rebirth of Bmore...

Harlem, go **** yourself. Sorry about the language everyone else.
tonyBmore no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #624
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
After seeing all of those beautiful proposals of the past that never became of reality; I am more doubtful that most of the new proposals will become of fruitation.
Please explain this "logic".
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #625
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyBmore View Post
Harlem, go **** yourself. Sorry about the language everyone else.
That'a not that bad. Didn't our Vice President use the same phrase on the Senate floor?
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #626
getontrac

No, really, you don't....

You see we hate Maryland, and if you didn't know, we're hicks and we don't like business/economic revenue growth because business/economic/revenue growth is good because it's business/economic/revenue/growth and that's make's us left-wing communists who are soft on crime because highways are business/economic revenue growth which makes places more like Charlotte and they have more business/economic/revenue growth because they don't like historic properties and that's related to business/economic/revenue growth which is better because business/economic/revenue growth is economic/revenue/growth which is the meaning of life you idiot...

Nate

Last edited by getontrac; February 7th, 2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #627
Huck

This is the one I liked the best!
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #628
Huck

I remember this one too!

I believe I.M. Pei was the architect. It was supposed to start a trend of taller office buildings rising back away from the harbor. Alas.

I have never seen this one! It looks like it was to be around Lexington Market.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #629
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

by the day, i'm getting more and more anxious with news from ArcWheeler about 10IH. i believe that baltimore deserves atleast one monster skyscraper. this city truly has come a long way. it angers me when i go to other forums and see smaller cities like nashville get the signature tower (which is now a whopping 70 floors instead of the 55 floors it was originally proposed to be). again, we deserve a "monster".

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; February 7th, 2007 at 07:02 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #630
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Also, if anyone is interested, there is a rendering on Design Collective's website of Harborview that includes part of the Pinnacle tower off to the side. As far as I know, it's a rendering that has never been posted here before. If you're interested, go to www.designcollective.com then go to Portfolio -> Architecture -> Urban Development -> Waterfront -> Harborview
I'm not so sure how new that rendering is. Or maybe they used a old photo as a background. Notice 100 E. pratt isin't built.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #631
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post

You see we hate Maryland, and if you didn't know, we're hicks and we don't like business/economic revenue growth because business/economic/revenue growth is good because it's business/economic/revenue/growth and that's make's us left-wing communists who are soft on crime because highways are business/economic revenue growth which makes places more like Charlotte and they have more business/economic/revenue growth because they don't like historic properties and that's related to business/economic/revenue growth which is better because business/economic/revenue growth is economic/revenue/growth which is the meaning of life you idiot...

Nate
lol...bravo, bravo!!
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #632
getontrac

Yeah, but from I rememberof the rendering, the base of their building was a monster garage.

I'm not willing to sacrifice proper base architecture for height. Height's great, but exciting architecture and streetlife-design trumps the monsters.

I guess I'm against Business/Economic/Revenue Growth...oh, darn

Nate
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #633
MasonsInquiries

yep, you're probably right, nate. sacrificing proper base architecture for height is definitely a bad thing. i guess i just got caught up in the fact that the signature tower's 1,057 feet. that fact alone is enough to make anyone cringe.
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #634
Brian21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
This would have been the city's tallest. Judging from that model that shows all the proposals, it would have towered over BoA and Legg Mason. 300 East Pratt would have been our 2nd tallest. So as for right now 10IH will be our tallest.

What do you guys think will be our second tallest? 300 E. Pratt or 1 Light St?
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #635

Quote:

Nate
Nice try Nate, but your impersonation is faulty. Let me point out a few errors.

1) Your statement has some semblance of logic.

2) Your committed no blatant grammatical errors or gross misspellings.

3) You didn't follow up your statement with a page full of equally ignorant postings with unfounded statements backed without evidence or thought pattern.

4) You made no mention of highways. Anyone with a global mindset knows that the answer to all things development related is asphalt. The economic powerhouses and playgrounds for white collar jobs are certainly not places like DC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco or New York. All of which emphasize public transport and quality of life.

5) Mistakenly, you included the word "because". That word does not apply to Mr. harlem87.

6) You seem to be older than 20 (I presume his birth year is 87), hence you have actual life experience.

7) You didn't put words in anyone's mouth with statements such as, "You said [random statement], so clearly you meant [an offensive and completely unilateral interpretation of the statement]."

harlem87, your energy is misguided. This is a pro-development forum. How would anyone on here be against development? You have a lot of opinions, many of them likely correct. And you have a right to your own opinions. However, you do not have a right to your own facts.

If you desire to be heard, feel free to chime in on conversations. However, the manner in which you approach these forums renders you ignored and diminishes the validity of your arguments. In other words, chill out or shut up.
21230 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #636
Brian21

21230 has spoken!!

LOL
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #637
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Ahh....Baltimore Financial Centre. This is easily my favorite proposal of all time.

waj0527 no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #638
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I think that one complements the existing skyline the best, especially the BofA tower; however, I think Baltimore may need something that is rather overtly modern to show the world it's not a dying rustbelter, but a boom town building gleaming glass towers...it's too old school.

Last edited by BalWash; February 8th, 2007 at 12:17 AM.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #639
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

I liked that one, too.
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #640
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:

Nate
I'll have to admit, that is pretty funny.
LOL!

Closed Thread