daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #641
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

More city west side properties slated for revitalization
Baltimore Business Journal - 3:00 PM EST Wednesday, February 7, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

The Baltimore Development Corp. is offering up more pieces of the city's west side for redevelopment, a month after getting permission from the city's spending board for a $21 million land deal to kickstart the "superblock" project in the same area.

The city's economic development arm said Wednesday it is seeking proposals for the redevelopment of four west side sections, mostly concentrated in the 400 block of North Howard Street. According to state assessment and taxation data, the city owns all the properties and should not need to condemn additional land for the projects.

The vacant properties are on Franklin and Howard streets, adjacent to St. James Place, the Mayfair Theater and the Congress Hotel. The city sold the St. James property to Renaissance Place LLC in December for $250,000 as part of a BDC revitalization effort. Renaissance developers Wendy Blair and Derrick McDaniels have launched a $7.5 million project at the site to include 25 market-rate rental units, 1,910 square feet of retail space and 44 parking spaces.

M.J. "Jay" Brodie, president of the BDC, said the BDC wanted to wait until Renaissance began its work at St. James before seeking developers for the other properties, to demonstrate there is interest in the predominately vacant area. He said he did not think the BDC would receive many competitive bids before work began at St. James.

"We wanted to have that evidence ... so that people would see that something is happening in the midst of all these vacant properties," he said, adding the BDC is interested in seeing some residential development with the new proposals once they are filed by a May deadline. "We think the timing is pretty good on the west side as far as I can tell, but we will see."

Brodie said Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse had planned to renovate the historic Mayfair Theater, and had an agreement with the BDC to undertake the project, but the developer's plans never materialized and its agreement with the BDC has expired. Brodie said Struever and other developers are still welcome to submit new proposals for the theater.

In January, the city's Board of Estimates voted to let the city buy or acquire about three dozen properties in the so-called superblock area starting at W. Fayette and Liberty Streets, about four blocks away from St. James Place. In turn, the city will sell the properties for about $21 million to a development team led by the Chera Feil Goldman Group of New York to undertake the redevelopment effort.

Chera plans to create about 200,000 square feet of retail space and between 400 and 500 market-rate residential units in the six-block area. The city has agreed to reduce the sale price by as much as $10 million to offset the costs associated with demolishing some of the buildings and clearing the area for the redevelopment project.

Unlike its current effort, the city will need to condemn several of the properties in the superblock, including some owned by the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation which was an early proponent of a west side revitalization effort. The city decided in the summer to condemn the foundation's properties after failing to come to terms on fair selling price for the land.

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #642
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

....but I DID mention Highways.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #643
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalWash View Post
I think that one complements the existing skyline the best, especially the BofA tower; however, I think Baltimore may need something that is rather overtly modern to show the world it's not a dying rustbelter, but a boom town building gleaming glass towers...it's too old school.
You know, I was thinking the same thing this afternoon on my way home. I've been working up in Hunt Valley for the last three weeks and the last few days I've been taking the Maryland Ave exit off 83 south through downtown. U of Baltimore's new university center adds so much to that area. Breath of fresh air!
southbalto no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #644
getontrac

I REALLY hope St. James Place gets rolling...that's been dragging on for YEARS!!!

Once that block gets going, I think there's no stopping the upper westside of downtown!

Nate
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #645
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Likes (Received): 10

interesting, the founder of godaddy.com is from baltimore. i saw him interviewed on cnbc. has a balto accent and says on wiki. also went to u of balt. guys name is bob parsons. fought in nam. worked for beth steel. went to u of balt

also i didn't know THE US'S largest IT staffing firm in the world is hq'd in balto.

TEKsystems is one of the nation's largest single source providers of information technology and communications staffing and services, providing more than 20,000 professionals to client locations every day. Our promise to you is world-class technology execution delivered with customer service that's second to none.

Our headquarters are in Baltimore, Maryland, and we have more than 90 offices throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe. TEKsystems is the nation's largest IT staffing firm- ranked number one in the industry by an independent review run by IT Services Business Report.

What's the secret to our success? Exceptional people, processes, and technology all dedicated to getting the job done right. That's what we mean by technology execution. We understand that for technology to work it has to serve real business needs, and that every IT service has to be implemented by people. So we focus first on understanding your company and its industry needs, and then on meeting those needs with extraordinary people who have both the industry specific technical skills and the work ethic and communication skills to help ensure your success.

Throughout TEKsystems' 20 year history in technology staffing, we have remained committed to the principles on which our technology staffing company was founded: integrity, character, confidence, respect, and unrelenting commitment to service.

IT'S A SUBSIDIARY OF ALLEGIS GROUP

Allegis Group - An International Network at Your Fingertips
Headquartered in the Baltimore, Maryland-metropolitan area, TEKsystems® is a member of Allegis Group, a privately held network of staffing and services companies. Founded in 1983, Allegis Group is the world's largest privately held staffing company, the third largest in the United States and the sixth largest in the world based on revenue. (Staffing Industry Report, August 2003)

Allegis Group ranked 69th on the 2004 Forbes Largest Private Companies list, with 6,000 corporate employees, including more than 1,300 dedicated recruiters. Respected as a leader in the staffing industry, Allegis Group has approximately 75,000 active contract employees, over 4,000 clients, and 220 offices in the U.S., Canada, and Europe.

Currently, Allegis Group serves every 9 out of 10 Fortune 100 companies as well as local and regional companies, and spans industries as diverse as information technology and communications, transportation, healthcare, insurance, government, banking, financial services, and consumer goods.
vivo no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #646
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
That would be correct. IIRC, this was to be over 600 feet. I forget what happened, but it came close to being built. I remember driving by the site many times to see if anything was going on. It looked like work was imminent at one point...sediment barriers went up around the block...but it was not to be. The Weinberg Center (Mercy Hospital) and a garage were eventually built there.
Must've been some dirty politics involved in preventing the Building from going up as planned.
harlem87 no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #647
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyBmore View Post
Harlem, go **** yourself. Sorry about the language everyone else.
Go Slam your ****** head on some bricks, that might help your thinking process.
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #648
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Please explain this "logic".
History can repeat itself.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:06 AM   #649
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
No, really, you don't....

You see we hate Maryland, and if you didn't know, we're hicks and we don't like business/economic revenue growth because business/economic/revenue growth is good because it's business/economic/revenue/growth and that's make's us left-wing communists who are soft on crime because highways are business/economic revenue growth which makes places more like Charlotte and they have more business/economic/revenue growth because they don't like historic properties and that's related to business/economic/revenue growth which is better because business/economic/revenue growth is economic/revenue/growth which is the meaning of life you idiot...

Nate
Don't forget that you are a supporter of Business/Economic/Revenue Growth for Virginia which is why you have not opposition against building a Subway to Dulles Airport(which you don't support the Green Line Extension to BWI Airporrt), The Springfield Mixing Bowl(you oppose building the ICC), and Tyson's Corner Expansion along with other Large Development Projects in Northern Virginia(You oppose the National Harbor and other Large Development Projects in the Maryland/DC Suburbs and Baltimore).
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #650
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, but from I rememberof the rendering, the base of their building was a monster garage.

I'm not willing to sacrifice proper base architecture for height. Height's great, but exciting architecture and streetlife-design trumps the monsters.

I guess I'm against Business/Economic/Revenue Growth...oh, darn

Nate
Don't forgeet to admit that your not a Maryland citizen and its very possible that you are from Virginia or some other good ol' boy southern state.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #651
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
....but I DID mention Highways.

Nate
But you failed to admit that you support highway building in Virginia but oppose ALL Highway Building in Maryland.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #652
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
Must've been some dirty politics involved in preventing the Building from going up as planned.
No...actually it was because Maryland failed to build a 16-lane expressway to provide access, tearing down the whole west side of downtown in the process. Instead, they built Camden Yards on the land.
micrip está en línea ahora  
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #653
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

blah...blah...blah...this! blah...blah...blah...that! It's like I'm watching someone spit BS out their @$$. Oh wait...
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #654
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
You know, I was thinking the same thing this afternoon on my way home. I've been working up in Hunt Valley for the last three weeks and the last few days I've been taking the Maryland Ave exit off 83 south through downtown. U of Baltimore's new university center adds so much to that area. Breath of fresh air!
I love what UB has done to the area.. They've been real aggressive in their growth and it kicks ass that theyve added a 4 year undergraduate program cause thats only going to speed up the progress.. I think this might help them too (from their web page)

UB First Scholars
The UB First Scholars opportunity covers out-of-pocket expenses for tuition and fees for the first academic year for all degree-seeking students enrolling as full-time, first-year students beginning fall 2007. The program has been made possible by a generous gift from an anonymous donor. In addition to meeting the criteria below, students must enroll full-time, during the day, for 2007-2008.

To be eligible, you must:

meet Maryland in-state residency requirements
submit an application for admission and all supporting documents by the application deadline of Feb. 15, 2007
complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1, 2007
apply for and accept any grant aid for which you qualify (federal and state aid)
qualify for admission to the University and enroll full time for the fall and spring semesters.
UB can only guarantee these scholarships to students who complete the admission application and FAFSA by the deadlines specified above. Late applicants will be considered on a space-available basis.

Interested? Read more on how to apply for admission as a first-year student TODAY!

What scholarships are available sophomore through senior years?

University Scholarship (3.5+ GPA) $5,000 per year

Dean's Scholarship (3.0 -3.49 GPA) $3,000 per year

Chair's Scholarship (2.5 - 2.99 GPA) $1,500 per year

Students must continue full-time enrollment at UB to be eligible for one of these merit scholarships beginning with their sophomore year. These scholarships will be based on the cumulative grade point average (GPA) students earn while enrolled at UB. Continuing students will be encouraged to complete the FAFSA in order to receive additional need-based financial aid.

For more information on first-year student admission to UB, visit the UB Office of Admissions or call 1.877.ApplyUB.
The University of Baltimore is part of the
University System of Maryland.

The University of Baltimore
1420 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
tollfree 1.877.ApplyUB
House3780 no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #655
House3780

I wonder why so much focus has been on the red line now that I think about it. I think we really need a mass transit system in place to connect all of our universities. We call ourselves a collegetown dont we?? Im guessing the current light rail would prevent another north south train of some sort from being built even though it would be real convenient being that just about all the colleges line up along York road and Charles Street.. Towson/Goucher, Morgan (the one thats a little out of the way), Loyola/ND, Hopkins, UB/MICA, UMB.. I think Towson (what Ive always considered Baltimores uptown) should really be connected to the heart of the city easier.. I know most of my international friends who are students there arent too thrilled about having to catch the 8 and won't. I know I never used to enjoy it much either.
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #656
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
I think that both UB and MICA have hit a critical mass in that area. For years both had a scattering of shambly buildings, disconnected from each other. The new UB building and that great glass crystal that MICA built along with other improvements has really improved this area. While I'm not crazy about the renderings I have seen of the upcoming MICA residence, it will add another interesting structure to Mt Royal
scando no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #657
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Harlem,

what exactly do you think is the difference between 'business,' 'economic' and 'revenue'
growth?
cgunna no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #658
House3780

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I think that both UB and MICA have hit a critical mass in that area. For years both had a scattering of shambly buildings, disconnected from each other. The new UB building and that great glass crystal that MICA built along with other improvements has really improved this area. While I'm not crazy about the renderings I have seen of the upcoming MICA residence, it will add another interesting structure to Mt Royal
I dont know if UB has hit critical mass yet. I dont think the president would have made it his very open mission to see the school double in admissions and size in the mt royal area if it did. Hes a business man as well as a school pres so I think hes prolly got it all planned out.

As far as MICA, I have no idea about them other than they are expensive and most of my friends who are art students usually would prefer going to SVA in NY.

Im guessing theyre both going on the "if you build it, they will come" model set up by the worst actor in the world.
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #659
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
I wonder why so much focus has been on the red line now that I think about it. I think we really need a mass transit system in place to connect all of our universities. We call ourselves a collegetown dont we?? Im guessing the current light rail would prevent another north south train of some sort from being built even though it would be real convenient being that just about all the colleges line up along York road and Charles Street.. Towson/Goucher, Morgan (the one thats a little out of the way), Loyola/ND, Hopkins, UB/MICA, UMB.. I think Towson (what Ive always considered Baltimores uptown) should really be connected to the heart of the city easier.. I know most of my international friends who are students there arent too thrilled about having to catch the 8 and won't. I know I never used to enjoy it much either.
If you haven't already, please read all of my previous transit posts and/or go to www.getontrac.org.

Nate
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #660
SoBoChris
7th generation SoBoean

Likes (Received): 223

Hey guys, I just found this great site aimed toward tourist. It does our fair city proud! Check it out for yourselves. http://www.baltimore.world-guides.com/
SoBoChris no está en línea  

Closed Thread