daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #681
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

I was browsing http://www.asg-architects.com/, and found this Harbor Point rendering for the National Lacrosse Foundations new location. Not sure where the Foundation will be located, but the rendering is nice, nonetheless.

This firm is also designing the new BMA expansion, does anybody know anything more on this? The website doesn't give a lot of info.
PeterSmith no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #682
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

http://www.asg-architects.com/story/clients/news/docs/BMA-Sun-article062305.pdfAn article from the sun which has even more detail.

(I actually posted alot more in this reply but its all invisible for some reason.)..and now th elink wont work, so what a worthless reply. What I read was that they intend to double the size of the Museum over the next 20 years (article written in 2005). Updates include moving all exhibits off the first floor and expanding gift shop and restaurant space. Connecting the Museum with the Hopkins Campus. Increasing the amount of art on display. Expanding the stage and backstage to make different types of preformances possible. An underground garage shared with Hopkins.

The mission is to make the museum more tourist friendly, easier to navigate, alot larger, and increase the retail and display capabilities.

Last edited by Baltimoreborn1; February 8th, 2007 at 07:45 PM.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #683
rxsoccer

Likes (Received): 0

I posted this on another thread that harlem was doing his best to destroy but seeing that he won't get his ignorant ass off of this thread, I'll post it here too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
21230, your reality show reference just made me realize who this harlem person really is! Its PUCK from the real world SF! Glad to see that A-hole found another forum to spew his nonsense in! "Maryland hates business! blah blah blah! Virginia love business! blah blah blah! Baltimore will never be as good as places like Charlotte! blah blah blah!" WE GET IT!
I can go through your 3 million posts and find nothing more substantial than that and insults repeated everytime.
Puck, the guy you love to hate! For the reality show whores out there, enjoy! we're in the company of reality show royalty here!

seriously...WTF is anybody paying attention to this moron for? Somehow I imagine him looking like Bif from back to the future.... but I think I'll just post a pic of Puck after each one of his obnoxious comments (which is every one). Do you guys really keep reading those? I just pass them and am shocked everytime I read someone asking him a question...
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #684
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
The city would not, under most circumstances, have been able to absorb all of the office construction of the late 80s and early 90s IN ADDITION TO the proposals we have here. Sure, the 80s had a runaway economy and a lot of speculative real estate, but that sort of borrowing couldn't be sustained -- and wasn't -- hence the recession of the early 90s.

Finally, Baltimore was never in a favorable position vis-a-vis other cities when it came to bank condolidation. The mid-size regional banks of the past are, for the most part, a memory, as most have yielded to mega-banks which are diversified financial institutions, doing everything from credit and commerical banking, to investment banking and real estate. A city like Baltimore is never going to benefit from consolidation; inevitably, banking capitals like New York do. We take what comes, and live...

Anyway, the whole world isn't banking. Banking has to finance SOMETHING, and that something is the range of industries we have in the metro area. So what if they aren't in office towers. We've got guaranteed winners in Tide Point, Fells Point, IHE, and Canton. Those spots blow Owings Mills out of the water. I'm sure downtown will see some modest office construction in the coming years, but as long as our empoyment figures for the traditional downtown hover at 100k, don't expect anything spectacular.

Which brings me to my final point... wouldn't MPT studios on the West Side be a brilliant driving force for that area? Right next to the arts attractions, proximity to the Hipp, where performances can be telecast, etc...
For the most part, I agree with you, that Baltimore will no longer (probably) ever be a major banking center, however we came VERY, VERY CLOSE in the 80s to becoming one:

I hate to echo the combatative sentiments of another frequent poster here, but we (Baltimore and Annapolis) really blew it big time when we pretty much forced MBNA to leave Maryland due to a way too restrictive regulatory environment introduced in the State Legislature at the time.

It tore a huge hole into Maryland National Bank. Not only did it displace thousands of jobs in the process, but erased huge profits as well. It was a severance I'm not sure Maryland National ever recovered from...

While Maryland National probably would have fallen into the hard times it faced in the late 80s anyway (due to a general lax loan policy, for things such as new construction, as did many other banks) one can't help but think *what if* things had been different...

I clearly remember when North Carolina National Bank (NCNB) opened its first branch in Baltimore. At the time, the overall deposits of the bank were miniscule in comparison with Maryland National. But with an aggressive growth strategy, fueled by an open federal regulatory environment, and a progressive legislature in North Carolina, the bank whose acronym once stood for "Nobody Cares, Nobody Bothers" emerged into NationsBank, and now the mighty Bank of America.

Ask analysts, and many will confirm Baltimore was poised to become a large national -- some would even say in hindsight -- a large international financial centre. Ponder the names some of the previously posted towers were given: real corporate might. The elements were all in place, but a voice too powerful in Annapolis derailed destiny. The rest of the pieces, such as Alex.Brown, Redwood Street (the old "Wall Street of the South") and most of the other components vanished soon after...

The task for us now is, have we learned our lesson, and how can we help and nurture the next "big thing" that will produce big for Baltimore?
Eerik no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #685
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

LOL RX. I was going to try to stay out of this, I found a picture of Harlem on here and I didnt want to post it because it would be too mean. But since you post Puck, I have to Post the real Harlem. This is the last I will mention of him though. I think hes on Baltimore Development News right now...i can see what hes typing..."you dumbass...economic...dumbass...business...charlotte" Thats all I can make out
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #686
cgunna
2A

I think that the next 'big thing' is easily shaping up to be biotech and the reseach that goes along with it. We have two research campuses being developed. We have a world class medical school and the political will in place to ensure that this momentum keeps going.

Between Hopkins and UMD Medicine, we have two financially strong centers that can be the cornerstone of an entire biotech community. Hopefully, we will see in increase in pharma research and development in the area. Hard to say where the gubmint will end up with stem cell research but the potential for research there is tremendous.

Jobs
human capital
political will to make it work.

Hopefully we can avoid the blunders of the past.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #687
rxsoccer

maybe we should start a "who is the real harlem?" thread? Then we can devote an entire thread to hypothesizing things like:
1. what he looks like?
2. what his social life is like?
3. what his friends are like?
..... oh wait... those might get answered pretty quickly:
1. Puck/Bif hybrid
2. non-existent
3. N/A

Ok...I'm done being a jerk.... Now its time to sit back wait for the bully to awaken and start mocking, cursing, and probably even start threatening us like a nelson muntz.
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #688
Eerik

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Which "300" do you like better?

or...

I still prefer the original Schulweis hotel proposal, where he decided to abandon the office tower concept and trade out for a [Westin] hotel. Even though it was about six stories or so shorter than the current design, the RTKL design team definitely proved they too had become tired of the same-old, same-old in Baltimore...

My only concern is how the World Trade Center and whatever eventually gets built at 300 East Pratt play off each other composition-wise on the skyline. It should be interesting.

Eerik no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #689
Brian21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
LOL RX. I was going to try to stay out of this, I found a picture of Harlem on here and I didnt want to post it because it would be too mean. But since you post Puck, I have to Post the real Harlem. This is the last I will mention of him though. I think hes on Baltimore Development News right now...i can see what hes typing..."you dumbass...economic...dumbass...business...charlotte" Thats all I can make out

U guys are bad...lol
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #690
Brian21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik View Post
I still prefer the original Schulweis hotel proposal, where he decided to abandon the office tower concept and trade out for a [Westin] hotel. Even though it was about six stories or so shorter than the current design, the RTKL design team definitely proved they too had become tired of the same-old, same-old in Baltimore...

My only concern is how the World Trade Center and whatever eventually gets built at 300 East Pratt play off each other composition-wise on the skyline. It should be interesting.

Wasn't that one proposed back in the early 90's? Looks very similar to the current rendering. I like the second rendering, but I it should be taller. From the looks of it...the setbacks would be lit up at night.
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #691
Eerik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
Wasn't that one proposed back in the early 90's? Looks very similar to the current rendering. I like the second rendering, but I it should be taller. From the looks of it...the setbacks would be lit up at night.
Like others here, I'm most concerned about the base of the building, how it relates to the street. All proposals have called for parking above grade. In Baltimore, we really do not have a good track record for buildings with above grade parking. To put it bluntly...they all suck bad.

I wish 300 Pratt would bury the parking below as they did at The Gallery. However, I'd imagine the end product would probably be reduced in height by about five to ten stories.

But it has always been an interesting parcel; a remnant of the old street grid. Fairly narrow and compact.

By the way: I wonder what Gunts would have to say about the current proposal. As for the old Westin hotel proposal, he likened its massing and proportions to a Charles Rennie Mackintosh chair...

Eerik no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #692
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
I think that the next 'big thing' is easily shaping up to be biotech and the reseach that goes along with it. We have two research campuses being developed. We have a world class medical school and the political will in place to ensure that this momentum keeps going.

Between Hopkins and UMD Medicine, we have two financially strong centers that can be the cornerstone of an entire biotech community. Hopefully, we will see in increase in pharma research and development in the area. Hard to say where the gubmint will end up with stem cell research but the potential for research there is tremendous.

Jobs
human capital
political will to make it work.

Hopefully we can avoid the blunders of the past.
Alex. Brown is not Baltimore's fault. Heck, we got the company to move its core operations from Towson back to downtown. Only then did the company decide to break with tradition and cash in on the stock market, leading to the sale to BT. How many privately-held investment banks can you think of today -- I mean really significant ones? Brown Bros Harriman? I can't think of many. New laws that permitted conglomerations of financial institutions made sense and enabled mergers like BT-A.B, and we just fell by the wayside.

Be careful about biotech. Most of these companies have yet to show profits; they are operating on subsidies, venture capital, and speculation. At some point, government incentives and incubators notwithstanding, this baby has to fly on its own or crash. A lot of other regions are also spurring their own biotech operations, and while we may have Hopkins, others have Carnegie Mellon, MIT & Harvard, Stanford, and formidable competitors. I wouldn't write Baltimore off on this one, but I wouldn't hedge a bet on something with a slim probability of return. Many biotechs simply run out of cash before they produce a medicine, and then it's only one medicine....

Baltimore can still play in finance, but it depends on nurturing new businesses. Eerik mentions the MBNA disaster. True, it was. But with Delaware's low corporate taxes, I don't know what state could compete. Plus, a lot of those MBNA jobs are now in jeopardy following Bank of America's takeover of the credit company. Rather than obsessing over Legg Mason, we need to look at firms that are in Legg's shoes 20 years ago -- those with $10-$50 billion in assets, with 100 or so employees. Ferris Baker & Watts, Cignal Hill, and a couple others come to mind. We need to ramp up engagement of these firms, ensure that they can find good talent in the City of Baltimore, and give them solid companies to invest in. I'd take a look at the number of business upstarts and corporate profits for our region, keep an eye on those, and see if all the relevant variables make the case for a solid second-tier banking industry here. We may be far from New York, but by most standards, we're not destined to be in Philadelphia's permanent rear-view mirror.

Also, for those who looked at the Downtown Partnership report, I'd caution that a lot of their speculations are noise, not signal. If the folks there read the BBJ, they'd see how home sales are down and existing inventories are up. Toll Bros, a builder of luxury homes, repored substantially lower home sales. Although long-term mortgage rates are down, I highly doubt we're out of the housing slump anytime soon. Baltimore may get a big project or two, but a lot of the new inventory needs to be sold before we get ANYTHING new. That means Cityscape and a couple of the other projects we've been waiting on won't happen for the forseeable future.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #693
baltimoreisbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik View Post
For the most part, I agree with you, that Baltimore will no longer (probably) ever be a major banking center, however we came VERY, VERY CLOSE in the 80s to becoming one:

I hate to echo the combatative sentiments of another frequent poster here, but we (Baltimore and Annapolis) really blew it big time when we pretty much forced MBNA to leave Maryland due to a way too restrictive regulatory environment introduced in the State Legislature at the time.

It tore a huge hole into Maryland National Bank. Not only did it displace thousands of jobs in the process, but erased huge profits as well. It was a severance I'm not sure Maryland National ever recovered from...

While Maryland National probably would have fallen into the hard times it faced in the late 80s anyway (due to a general lax loan policy, for things such as new construction, as did many other banks) one can't help but think *what if* things had been different...

I clearly remember when North Carolina National Bank (NCNB) opened its first branch in Baltimore. At the time, the overall deposits of the bank were miniscule in comparison with Maryland National. But with an aggressive growth strategy, fueled by an open federal regulatory environment, and a progressive legislature in North Carolina, the bank whose acronym once stood for "Nobody Cares, Nobody Bothers" emerged into NationsBank, and now the mighty Bank of America.

Ask analysts, and many will confirm Baltimore was poised to become a large national -- some would even say in hindsight -- a large international financial centre. Ponder the names some of the previously posted towers were given: real corporate might. The elements were all in place, but a voice too powerful in Annapolis derailed destiny. The rest of the pieces, such as Alex.Brown, Redwood Street (the old "Wall Street of the South") and most of the other components vanished soon after...

The task for us now is, have we learned our lesson, and how can we help and nurture the next "big thing" that will produce big for Baltimore?
Eerik, I somewhat agree, but we lost our stock exchange in 1949 or something; it merged with Philadelphia's. Ever since, Redwood street wasn't much of a financial powerhouse. I think Baltimore could have become a major national banking center, but it certainly never was international.
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #694
baltimoreisbest

Hey anyone know what's happening to UBS's baltimore branch at 100 E. Pratt. The company has a suite on the 21st floor, which CoStar is listing as "will be vacant" by November of this year. Are they moving or calling it quits?
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #695
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

I e-mailed the Baltimore Development people and asked them some questions concerning various projects in the city. Here is the response:

Steve, in response to your inquiry – here are some brief updates:

300 E Pratt Street – Development team is is still in the exploratory stages of the plan, but it would be a mixed use tower at approximately 600 feet, 50+ stories. It would entail ground floor retail, garage parking, a hotel and condo tower. They hope to advance this project to the design review stage in the coming months.

One Light Street – Still searching for a deal, but interest is certainly heating up. No plan on the table as of now.

CityScape – Developer was granted an extension to advance the project. Still a mixed use tower with apartments, parking and retail. No news on the size.

Cordish tower - ???

10 Inner Harbor – again, a planned mixed use tower at somewhere in the 700’ vicinity, 60+ stories. Developer is analyzing an office component in addition to the hotel, retail, parking and condo components.

4 Seasons – Considering an office component addition. Design could change depending on the outcome. Stay tuned…

Naing’s Projects – he has gone through a design competition and is in process of selecting an architect to advance the project. Look for prelims in the summer. Project not likely to start until 08 or 09.

Bob Aydukovic
Vice President - Economic Development

Downtown Partnership of Baltimore, Inc.

T 410-244-1030

D 410-528-7718

F 410-234-2733

[email protected]

GoDowntownBaltimore.com

Last edited by StevenW; February 9th, 2007 at 01:58 AM.
StevenW no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #696
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

The 414 Water Street condominiums are nearing completion. An additional $2.8 billion in construction is expected downtown between now and 2010.
(Sun photo by Amy Davis)
Feb 6, 2007

The 21-story Zenith apartment tower, at Pratt and Paca streets near Camden Yards, is one of the major projects under construction.
(Sun photo by Amy Davis)
Feb 6, 2007
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #697
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks Steven. It's great to see that the Naing project is still in the works.
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #698
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

No problem.
I can't wait to see what the "winning" design for Naing's projects will look like.
I'm excited about the 4 Seasons as well.
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #699
Eerik

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
Eerik, I somewhat agree, but we lost our stock exchange in 1949 or something; it merged with Philadelphia's. Ever since, Redwood street wasn't much of a financial powerhouse. I think Baltimore could have become a major national banking center, but it certainly never was international.
True, Redwood Street lost its financial prestige already by the late 19-teens before the roaring 20s. The Baltimore Stock Exchange never carried much heft in terms of size, but the region still commanded a large financial presence on the national level. Take for instance the B&O and port: combine that with companies like A.Brown, Commercial Credit and others.

Baltimore (as a region) had the wealth to accomplish what others weren't able to... Maryland National, for example, even before its collapse and purchase had somewhere in the range of $17 billion in deposits. In today's terms, that's pocket change. But even as recent as the early 1990's, MN was the largest bank between Philly and Atlanta. While the merger plans were being considered by Bramble and Keating, MN was simultaneously trying in vain to pick up several large competitors in DC and Richmond.

True, Baltimore never was a real international financial centre, and I never said that...but some in the circles I have worked with in the past recall how close we came to becoming a major powerhouse in the mid-Atlantic. Instead of having the second largest banking center in NC, it could have been in Baltimore.

BEDCO (the predecessor to BDC) was really pushing hard to market Baltimore as the "financial centre" as an alternative to the DC "political centre." It really made sense. It is also at this time (early 1980s) when the maglev concept began to be discussed as a way to better connect the two cities, and a time when many opportunities emerged for Baltimore.

Afterall, don't forget that companies like Microsoft, Oracle and Starbucks became what they are today due to the great talent of analysts in the financial services sectors in the CBD. Today, you'd be hard pressed to find a repeat of anything like that happening...or so it appears.

Let's just hope the life sciences and bio-tech take off, sprouting a new prosperous economy. It will be tough. There are plenty of similar initiatives all over the country striving for the same results....
Eerik no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #700
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Great info Steven. Maybe I'll shoot an email over in another month and see if there are any changes.

I think a mass transit system would be huge for college students. Imagine students from places like Hopkins and Loyola and Towson taking mass transit down to Fells Point, Canton and Federal Hill? It would really enhance college life in Baltimore.

There was a mention of Cross Keys as a Rouse success in an article posted on here a page back. How do people on here feel about Cross Keys? I feel like it is very suburban with its gated community and that it pretty much disconnects itself from the rest of the city.
sdeclue no está en línea  

Closed Thread