daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 19th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #61
waj0527

Likes (Received): 499

Baltimore Crime
waj0527 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #62
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Isn't the 1300 block of N Calhoun St an up and coming area in transition? It's not too bad there is it? Especially the parts very close to route 40\Edmondson\N Carrolton in the Harlem Park area?

I thought the poppleton development was going around there?
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #63
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Likes (Received): 0

See, it's all ready started. Since this is on the AP wire all the papers will use it as a filler story. BTW, the guy who they caught is from Baltimore county.

In Baltimore, not even police officers are safe from random crime—

BALTIMORE (AP) -

In Baltimore, not even police officers are safe from random crime.
Two visiting law enforcement officers were robbed at gunpoint outside a bar in the trendy Canton neighborhood, hours before they were to attend the funeral of a Baltimore detective who was shot to death during a robbery attempt.

Jason Dietsch of the U-S Department of Homeland Security and Virginia State Trooper Michael McCann were in Baltimore for Tuesday's funeral of Detective Troy Chesley. After dining with friends Monday night, they were standing in a block of bars and restaurants when two men came up to them and demanded money. McCann was punched in the face. Dietsch was struck on the side of the face with a pistol.

City police arrested 20-year-old Jean Sierra, after spotting him walking "very quickly" away from the scene. He's charged him with 23 criminal offenses, including robbery and handgun charges.

Dietsch was hospitalized overnight with a bruised eye socket and missed the funeral.

Last edited by wada_guy; January 19th, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #64
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

You gotta hope that this awful month of crime and these incredibly embarassing stories hitting the national wire, light a fire under somebody's ass in the Governor, Mayor, and Police Commissioner's offices, and we make some swift and tough moves on stopping crime in the city.

I've only moved down to Canton 3 weeks ago, and now I'm starting to feel unsafe.
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #65
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
Isn't the 1300 block of N Calhoun St an up and coming area in transition? It's not too bad there is it? Especially the parts very close to route 40\Edmondson\N Carrolton in the Harlem Park area?

I thought the poppleton development was going around there?
despite the poppleton development, it's a bad area; VERY bad.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #66
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

The problem is Baltimore's citizens aren't as outraged as we should be. New Orleans had thousands of protesters demonstrate their anger toward their spike in crime this year. Baltimore has 17 murders already and still we have no community action. We always have a tendency to place blame on politicians, law enforcement officers and city prosecuters. Sometimes it's right to do so, but it is we that have the power to also make a change. Just were do we start? I don't know.
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #67
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
The problem is Baltimore's citizens aren't as outraged as we should be. New Orleans had thousands of protesters demonstrate their anger toward their spike in crime this year. Baltimore has 17 murders already and still we have no community action. We always have a tendency to place blame on politicians, law enforcement officers and city prosecuters. Sometimes it's right to do so, but it is we that have the power to also make a change. Just were do we start? I don't know.
You’re right. It does depend on us, but we can’t do it w/o the police and the politicians. We need to vote for officials who will be tough on crime, for real. I don’t know how to do this, but he people in office since the 1950’s haven’t done it right and the city is too stupid to vote for new blood and take a chance. Its old Baltimore voting for old Baltimore politicians and with the same people in charge how can we expect any change? How did Jessamy get reelected again after letting all of these umpteen offenders out on the street? How did Martin get elected mayor for a second term after he failed to deliver on his promises to the City? How come we have the same city council people in office year after year after year after year….. Someone young, smart and aggressive rises up to challenge the incumbents the machine STOMPS on them and extinguishes their run and the new hope. It’s a shame, but until we decide we want better and vote new blood in, things are going to be the same. So the spiral will continue.

Crime is up in my neighborhood, once one of the safest in the City. Why? Because these animals keep on getting let out of jail. It’s the same old people committing the same old crimes over and over and over and over… Its bullshit, but like I said, we vote for the incumbants because we are so afraid of an outsider with new fresh ideas, we do the same old same old… Now I am depressed.
Hood no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #68
southbalto

All the issues are linked.

What do you attack first?

37% high school graduation rate
Lead Paint
Absentee parents
Crime
Drug use
50 years of no real investment
Deteriorating Infrastructure

ect ect ................Ad nauseam
southbalto no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #69
southbalto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
You’re right. It does depend on us, but we can’t do it w/o the police and the politicians. We need to vote for officials who will be tough on crime, for real. I don’t know how to do this, but he people in office since the 1950’s haven’t done it right and the city is too stupid to vote for new blood and take a chance. Its old Baltimore voting for old Baltimore politicians and with the same people in charge how can we expect any change? How did Jessamy get reelected again after letting all of these umpteen offenders out on the street? How did Martin get elected mayor for a second term after he failed to deliver on his promises to the City? How come we have the same city council people in office year after year after year after year….. Someone young, smart and aggressive rises up to challenge the incumbents the machine STOMPS on them and extinguishes their run and the new hope. It’s a shame, but until we decide we want better and vote new blood in, things are going to be the same. So the spiral will continue.

Crime is up in my neighborhood, once one of the safest in the City. Why? Because these animals keep on getting let out of jail. It’s the same old people committing the same old crimes over and over and over and over… Its bullshit, but like I said, we vote for the incumbants because we are so afraid of an outsider with new fresh ideas, we do the same old same old… Now I am depressed.

hey jeff........

HE may not be in your district but Adam Miester www.techbalt.com is running for keiffers spot. You may be interested in what he is doing.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #70
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Is money the reason we can't get more cops on the street? I wish we had footpatrols in our neighborhoods or minipolice stations like the kabans that I thought the city would be placing throughout the city. I wonder if money is a problem, could we get help from the Federal government. Bush needs to add a No Neighborhood Left Behind act to go along with a No Child Left Behind act. How can kids get a good education or whats the point if they cant live in a safe environment. I think everyone deserves to feel safe just as much as everyone deserves the same educational opportunities. Just one of those fundamental things.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #71
Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
hey jeff........

HE may not be in your district but Adam Miester www.techbalt.com is running for keiffers spot. You may be interested in what he is doing.
Very interesting indeed. I will have to read more about adam. thank you.
Hood no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #72
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
Bush needs to add a No Neighborhood Left Behind act to go along with a No Child Left Behind act.
If they passed No Neighborhood Left Behind Legislation in the same way they passed No Child Left Behind, the feds would place all kinds of expensive requirements and restrictions on the city and then not fund it!
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #73
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Old January 19th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #74
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

It amazes me how people get upset about development. They don't realize all the good things it brings with it. I would love to have a Target and a nice grocery store near where I live. Those things come about through development and too many people don't recognize that.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #75
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Planning panel shows support for Icon tower in Canton
By Jill Rosen
Sun reporter
Originally published January 19, 2007

Despite intense community objections to a planned waterfront high-rise in Canton, the Icon tower appears to be gathering some momentum - as city planners endorse the possibility of even more development for the popular southeastern neighborhood.

Yesterday, the city's urban design and architecture review panel discussed conceptual plans for the Icon, a condominium and retail project that would rise 23 stories from what is now a Lighthouse Point parking lot. The Icon's developers say they would like to come back within weeks to seek the panel's approval for the design so that in March the Planning Commission might consider the major land-use amendments the project ultimately would require.

Though Canton community association leaders continue to vehemently protest the Icon - reiterating their concerns of blocked views and increased traffic to the design panel yesterday - Baltimore city planners have begun pushing for a tower in that spot and more new construction in the surrounding area.
i wonder if the residents of canton gave developers this same kind of fit when the Anchorage Towers was built back in 1987?
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #76
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

That Icon news is certainly a surprising. I wonder what kinds of development we might see around the study area.

If anyone has been venturing around the forum to other development threads, you might have noticed, as I have, that office development proposals are starting to pop up in a number of cities. Hopefully, we'll see a few come our way.

In other news, I found this article interest.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...home-headlines
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #77
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Baltimore's biggest problem...

its the drugs.

most of the city's current problem's can be traced back to drugs.

maybe Kurt was right afterall...
cgunna no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #78
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
i wonder if the residents of canton gave developers this same kind of fit when the Anchorage Towers was built back in 1987?
Yes they did, although the resident demographic was much different back then. I think the organized groups are much more vocal these days, although one can not forget the original Fells Point-Federal Hill groups who opposed "the road". Talk about vocal...that's where Mikulski got her start...
Eerik no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #79
Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
its the drugs.

most of the city's current problem's can be traced back to drugs.

maybe Kurt was right afterall...
to expand on that. the lucrative nature of the illict drug trade and the money involved is what makes most of the crime and murders happen. Lets bring back Hamsterdam and see what happens.
Hood no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #80
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

From a theoretical point of view, Schmoke may have been right, but that does not mean one city can decriminalize drugs. Consistent national policy, providing a solid legal/medical framework within which to address the drug issue is necessary. Baltimore can take measures like increasing the number of drug treatment centers (done) and implement better policing, but one city can't reinvent national policy.

We are losing the battle many times over with each crime committed. Every murder deters more residents from living here, people from moving here, jobs from growing here. The costs of drug use are unbelievable. I can only imagine what Baltimore would be if we had half of the current crime rate.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  

Closed Thread