daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #801
quabex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: baltimore, b-more, be more!
Posts: 367
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
The foot print of the existing building isn't very big, but if you add the additional space that is being occupied by the Holocaust memorial what size tower could conceivable be build there?
although the land of the holocaust memorial is owned by bccc, i can only immagine the uproar accompanying its sale. political clout would be thrown around like insults from harlem. i wouldn't count on that land becoming availible. i DO like the idea of the school leasing the site toa developer who would then lease back a portion of the new building to the school. its a win win scenario that allows the school to reap some benefits but doesn't displace it either. i see a good mixed use for that site!
quabex no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #802
PeterSmith
Moderator
 
PeterSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami/Baltimore
Posts: 5,851
Likes (Received): 2654

Here's what to expect from the Verizon building renovation:

Verizon Building in line for $12M renovation
Baltimore Business Journal - February 9, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

A Boston-based developer plans to spend about $12 million renovating the Verizon Building at 1 E. Pratt St. downtown to create outdoor dining at the prime Inner Harbor site for the first time in its history and bolster the city's efforts to make the thoroughfare more pedestrian friendly.

When it's finished this summer, the 10-story structure will feature about 22,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space and about 170,000-square feet of available Class A, or top tier, office space, said J. Brad Griffith, principal of Griffith Properties LLC.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #803
StevenW
Born in Baltimore
 
StevenW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Newberry, SC
Posts: 11,705
Likes (Received): 1602

Very nice.
__________________
Baltimore, my hometown.
StevenW no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #804
folsomfanatic
Registered User
 
folsomfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 416
Likes (Received): 17

Pratt Street

It's over!

The proposed designs for 16 blocks of Pratt Street were submitted today at the BDC. The plans are looking at Pratt from MLK to President Street and include McKeldin Plaza and other open spaces.

After a lot of hard work, all of the designs are being presented to the public next Tuesday, Frbruary 20th.

It is going to be a lot of fun seeing the designs that are come up with. the corridor is so complex and unique, so the response from each team will be fun to see.

i will let you know if anything gets posted on-line. We submitted all of our materials in hard copy and digital format, so maybe the BDC will do some sharing to create a buzz???

i'll write more about our ideas and findings after the team presentations next week!
__________________
part of the baltiMORE comeback
folsomfanatic no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #805
southbalto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 473
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
It's over!

The proposed designs for 16 blocks of Pratt Street were submitted today at the BDC. The plans are looking at Pratt from MLK to President Street and include McKeldin Plaza and other open spaces.

After a lot of hard work, all of the designs are being presented to the public next Tuesday, Frbruary 20th.

It is going to be a lot of fun seeing the designs that are come up with. the corridor is so complex and unique, so the response from each team will be fun to see.

i will let you know if anything gets posted on-line. We submitted all of our materials in hard copy and digital format, so maybe the BDC will do some sharing to create a buzz???

i'll write more about our ideas and findings after the team presentations next week!

Folsom...Throw us a bone.

What "out of the box" ideas were discussed when forming your proposal? Lighting/Surface Materials/landscaping/features?
southbalto no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #806
folsomfanatic
Registered User
 
folsomfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 416
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
Folsom...Throw us a bone.

What "out of the box" ideas were discussed when forming your proposal? Lighting/Surface Materials/landscaping/features?

Since we're competing for the job, I unfortunately can't give any details until next week when the competition goes public. sorry.

all i can say is that our proposal is much bigger than making the street look pretty. it's about redefining the entire corridor and how it looks, works, functions and responds to the changing Downtown community!

i'll be able to share much more next week....
__________________
part of the baltiMORE comeback
folsomfanatic no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #807
PeterSmith
Moderator
 
PeterSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami/Baltimore
Posts: 5,851
Likes (Received): 2654

That's great news. It's projects like these that really transform the city. Folsom, when is the final design going to be decided? Who is choosing the design?
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #808
fanofterps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,269
Likes (Received): 121

Lombard is another street that could tranform the city

We have been talking about a Pratt Street design. What about a Lombard
Street redesign. A marquee building to replace the ugly Community College would help along with 300 East Pratt getting started with retail facing Lombard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post


Baltimore City Community College's Lombard Street campus is in the middle of increasingly valuable real estate, which along with unsuitable building conditions, is making officials consider a sale.
(Sun photo by Amy Davis)
Feb 6, 2007
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #809
southbalto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 473
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
Since we're competing for the job, I unfortunately can't give any details until next week when the competition goes public. sorry.

all i can say is that our proposal is much bigger than making the street look pretty. it's about redefining the entire corridor and how it looks, works, functions and responds to the changing Downtown community!

i'll be able to share much more next week....
I understand..............





Loooking forward to next week...
southbalto no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #810
scando
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 5,463
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
H&S Properties Development Corp. has paid $7.3 million for a sliver of the former Allied Signal chrome plant along Baltimore's Inner Harbor, signaling the developer is ready to begin construction of the long-awaited, $750 million project.

While H&S Properties and partner Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse Inc. are prepared to proceed with offices, condominiums, parking garages and a hotel that are expected to comprise Harbor Point, complicated environmental problems could hinder the pace and cost of development.
I can't imagine putting residential property there and I'd feel queezy about office space too. Given what's published about hexavalent chromium and how we know that it has been there, I can see the lawyers lining up now. The first time somebody who lives there gets sick, the sharks will circle. I know that they excavated the soil and that whatever gets built will be sealed, but you have to ask yourself...do YOU want to live there? I wouldn't. This is the Erin Brokovich chemical -

"Hexavalent chromium compounds are carcinogens. Chronic inhalation of such compounds increases risk of lung cancer. Zinc chromate is the strongest carcinogen of the chromates used in industry. Soluble compounds, like chromic acid, are much weaker carcinogens.

Hexavalent chromium is genotoxic. It appears that the mechanism of genotoxicity relies on pentavalent or trivalent chromium, an intracellular reduction product of hexavalent chromium after its penetration into the cell. According to some researchers, the damage is caused by hydroxyl radicals, produced during reoxidation of pentavalent chromium by hydrogen peroxide molecules present in the cell. [1]

In an organism, hexavalent chromium undergoes reduction, first to metastable pentavalent chromium, then to trivalent chromium. Pentavalent chromium is a known carcinogen. If the material gets lodged in tissues (lungs are especially vulnerable here, followed by fine capillaries in kidneys and intestines), its long-term action may lead to cancerous growth. In some parts of Russia, pentavalent chromium was reported as one of the factors of incidence of premature senility."

Scary.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #811
scando
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 5,463
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
We have been talking about a Pratt Street design. What about a Lombard Street redesign. A marquee building to replace the ugly Community College would help along with 300 East Pratt getting started with retail facing Lombard.
A Lombard St do-over seems like a much bigger challenge than Pratt. After all, Pratt, in spite of its shortcomings, has wide walkways and attractive building fronts. Lombard mainly has speeding traffic and parking garages. I can see the BCCC site having something good, however, because it borders Market St and because the view of the harbor is partially clear; a tall building there would have a great view. The current building is one of the worst pieces of Brutalism this side of the Towson Public Library and I can't see anybody missing it.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #812
getontrac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mt. Vernon in Baltimore
Posts: 907
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I can't imagine putting residential property there and I'd feel queezy about office space too. Given what's published about hexavalent chromium and how we know that it has been there, I can see the lawyers lining up now. The first time somebody who lives there gets sick, the sharks will circle. I know that they excavated the soil and that whatever gets built will be sealed, but you have to ask yourself...do YOU want to live there? I wouldn't. This is the Erin Brokovich chemical -

"Hexavalent chromium compounds are carcinogens. Chronic inhalation of such compounds increases risk of lung cancer. Zinc chromate is the strongest carcinogen of the chromates used in industry. Soluble compounds, like chromic acid, are much weaker carcinogens.

Hexavalent chromium is genotoxic. It appears that the mechanism of genotoxicity relies on pentavalent or trivalent chromium, an intracellular reduction product of hexavalent chromium after its penetration into the cell. According to some researchers, the damage is caused by hydroxyl radicals, produced during reoxidation of pentavalent chromium by hydrogen peroxide molecules present in the cell. [1]

In an organism, hexavalent chromium undergoes reduction, first to metastable pentavalent chromium, then to trivalent chromium. Pentavalent chromium is a known carcinogen. If the material gets lodged in tissues (lungs are especially vulnerable here, followed by fine capillaries in kidneys and intestines), its long-term action may lead to cancerous growth. In some parts of Russia, pentavalent chromium was reported as one of the factors of incidence of premature senility."

Scary.
I thought they were basically building the on top of the site: the ground level would be the parking garage and then everything (street level) else would sit atop the parking level. Therefore, minimal digging and excavating. Right?

I know I heard/read this somewhere.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #813
scando
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 5,463
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
I thought they were basically building the on top of the site: the ground level would be the parking garage and then everything (street level) else would sit atop the parking level. Therefore, minimal digging and excavating. Right?

I know I heard/read this somewhere.

Nate
That is what I heard too..no basements, everything sealed, pump out anything below grade. What I think of, however, is not so much the rational risk, but the human capacity for worry and panic. Having seen "sick buildings" in action, these things take on a life of their own and it's hard to prove or disprove the possibility that something can happen and hard to convince the suggestible that their nosebleed is not the result of something awful. When you consider how profitable it is to sue (Angelos got the Orioles because of asbestos and chromium is almost that scary), it's easy to imagine a developer or potential resident or office renter just deciding, "I think I will go somewhere else".
scando no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #814
Maudibjr
Indeed
 
Maudibjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,264
Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
although the land of the holocaust memorial is owned by bccc, i can only immagine the uproar accompanying its sale. political clout would be thrown around like insults from harlem. i wouldn't count on that land becoming availible. i DO like the idea of the school leasing the site toa developer who would then lease back a portion of the new building to the school. its a win win scenario that allows the school to reap some benefits but doesn't displace it either. i see a good mixed use for that site!
I totally agree. I don 't think much of that memorial from an artistic standpoint (with the exception of the statue which is quite artistic), it used to be quite worse till they redid it a couple of years ago, then it was pretty much a public urinal for bums.

Saying that, someone must have a very good plan that has been signed off by every major jewish group in the city , before they would consider moving that memorial.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #815
sdeclue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 879
Likes (Received): 47

Great news about the BCC site. We can definitely do better there and another skyscraper would be perfect. I can't imagine much news on that for the next few years though.

I'm very excited about the Pratt Street makeover. It's all about showcasing Baltimore and we can do so much better. I envision a very busy street on a warm Spring day with people eating outside and buying food from vendors with some form of entertainment around the harbor.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #816
Brian21
Registered User
 
Brian21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 917
Likes (Received): 0

Yup I agree...and not just during the day either. Hopefully, the Pratt Street redesign helps to further Baltimore's effort of becoming a 24hr city. I was in Philly back in August of last year and Market Street was alive...with outside cafe's, restaurants, street venders, live entertainment, etc.. and this was 3 a.m. in the morning! It was awesome. Maybe Pratt Street can be our Market Street?

What do you guys think?
__________________
Brian
Brian21 no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #817
southbalto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 473
Likes (Received): 10

The tall crane is up at the convention center hotel.
Mercy townhomes are fenced in and boarded up.
50-60% of the Ritz structure (above ground) is complete.....I have no idea what is taking so long.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #818
Brian21
Registered User
 
Brian21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 917
Likes (Received): 0

It seems as though the Convention Center Hotel construction has sped up. They are 2-3 floors above ground.
__________________
Brian
Brian21 no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #819
getontrac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mt. Vernon in Baltimore
Posts: 907
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
The tall crane is up at the convention center hotel.
Mercy townhomes are fenced in and boarded up.
50-60% of the Ritz structure (above ground) is complete.....I have no idea what is taking so long.
It figures the Mercy townhomes are already fenced....

They've acted like they've wanted to start building this new tower yesterday, but can they space the parking spaces now if they demolish the eye-assualting Calvert St gargare before they complete their new Guilford garage?

Let me know when the fencing's up on Calvert....well, I'll be at the surgeon's there next week, I'll check on it!
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #820
cgunna
2A
 
cgunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 739
Likes (Received): 7

Signs

The 'coming soon' sign is finally up for the Urban Outfitters in the Light St Pavillion.

Also The PF Chang sign is officially up at Lockwood. Took a peek inside and they look to be just a few weeks away from being all finished with construction.
cgunna no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu