daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #921
waj0527

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
I do owe you a cookie! Kudos on the guess... Well, since I can't give you a cookie, why not just stay inside today while the city plows our roads -- or doesn't -- and bake some?

So, with your clairvoyance, can you predict what company's name -- if any -- will appear on the 100 Light St. building come 2009? Guesses anyone???
No clue. Ferris, Baker, Watts, perhaps.
waj0527 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #922
rxsoccer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
My disgust for suburban type shopping centers being what it is, I support redevelopment of this site, although this shopping center isn't particularly offensive as shopping centers go from an aesthetic/design aspect.

However, a tower above 12 to 15 stories in this neighborhood would be out of context and inappropriate. It could be a nice TOD site come the time when the old B&O ROW becomes used as a subway line

Nate
that neighborhood still needs a lot work. Its not just the parking lot that feels unsafe, its most of the surrounding neighborhood. There has been a lot development in that area and rehabbing of homes which is helping to turn things around but its a slow process overall. I think the camden crossing is helping to anchor the pigtown area and there are some good things happening on washington blvd. The city granted a few buildings to developers on the front end (700 block) and a few more on the back end (900 block) to bookend the mainstreet and help rejuvenate the businesses there. The guy who got the 900 block buildings is going to put in a microbrew pub, the Thirsty Pig. They seem very committed because he also owns a few buildings on the 800 block and said if the city can't take those properties (due to, surprise, surprise, legal fight from the owners of the current dump) they will move forward and put it in his other property.
The other major developments which hopefully should help the west-of-MLK area improve is obviously the UMD biotech and lets not forget the adjacent poppleton development which hopefully is still on track. Last I read was that the city approved a ton of money for demolition of that neighborhood to help clear the way for the new development. The other thing I hope will bridge the gap west of MLK is the pratt st redelvelopment. If Pratt st truly becomes a functional street from MLK to President st, then the link to the heart of baltimore from pigtown, poppleton, union square just got much, much smaller. Its a very short distance from pigtown to the harbor but it feels very far due to the safety of the first few block and the poor walkways the rest of the way. Can you imagine if Pratt st really takes on a miracle mile feel the difference that would make to the area surrounding the safeway a few blocks away???
I'm just bummed I'll be out of town when they show the pratt st proposals... I can't wait to see the ideas!
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #923
getontrac

I just hope the Pratt St proposals don't come up with traffic proposals that were decided without any mathematical formulations or modeling or transit proposals without respect to the MTA or origin/destination studies. Too many urban planners like to get into transportation, give lip service to it, but don't understand it like an engineer does. It annoys the hell out of me.

MLK is a mess of a road as far as the urban fabric/neighborhoods are concerned. It would have been better if the damn thing were actually built as a highway, because at least one could cross it (above or beneath it) without risking getting run over. It's worse than President St (which is really bad).

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #924
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Does anyone know the previous name of MLK before it became MLK?
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #925
getontrac

The upper part was W. Biddle St, north of Myrtle Ave. South of Redwood it is basically a widened Freemont Ave. In between I think the City blew through a lot of industrial/warehouse/slums to create the road.

Somebody older than me knows better!

Nate
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #926
SoBoChris
7th generation SoBoean

Likes (Received): 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
I asked my Dad, he said it was Harbor City Blvd.
SoBoChris no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #927
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Has anyone else heard this?

Four Seasons Hotels Inc. to be taken private by Gates, Alwaleed
Bloomberg

February 13, 2007
Four Seasons Hotels Inc., the manager of 74 luxury hotels, agreed to be taken private by Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates, Saudi Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal and the company's chief executive officer for $3.8 billion including debt.

----------------------------------

Hmm.........
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #928
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

E-Mail from Struever Harbor East/Point

Yes, this deal is a hummer! We’ve been working on it for 8 months almost completely unknown to anyone other than the inside teams.

The Four Seasons Tower and Legg Mason will start together on a shared parking foundation. The emphasis in construction will be on Legg Mason due to their projected occupancy in May 2009, but the two towers will be built together. We expect the hotel and condos to deliver in early 2010. Retail will be on street level and 2 floors on the Legg building. Best guess is about 45,000 ft.

Harbor Point will begin in May. The program is the same as it has been. Probably about 25,000SF of retail in phase 1.

Will be ready to announce new retail in Parcel B soon, but leases are still being negotiated and we have a policy not to announce until the ink is on the lease.

Best regards,

Struever
Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse

rom: [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:38 PM
To: Struever
Subject: Wow Legg Mason(Love all your updates)

I just have a few questions.

1. Will the Four Seasons Tower and the Legg Mason Tower both start construction this spring?

If no, when will the Four Seasons start? Is the Four Seasons 36 stories tall with a 200 room hotel and 130 condo's? Will there be street level retail in each building? How many sq feet of retail ?

2. Is Harbor Point still slated to start this spring with over 300 condo's/apartments and a 250,000 sq ft office building. How many sq ft of retail will be in the first phase?

3. Are there any new retailers besides Arhaus, Landmark, and the Athletic Club in the Vue and Four Seasons/Legg Mason/Harbor Point?

Thanks for you updates and a great day for Baltimore!
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #929
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
Yes, this deal is a hummer! We’ve been working on it for 8 months almost completely unknown to anyone other than the inside teams.

The Four Seasons Tower and Legg Mason will start together on a shared parking foundation. The emphasis in construction will be on Legg Mason due to their projected occupancy in May 2009, but the two towers will be built together. We expect the hotel and condos to deliver in early 2010. Retail will be on street level and 2 floors on the Legg building. Best guess is about 45,000 ft.

Harbor Point will begin in May. The program is the same as it has been. Probably about 25,000SF of retail in phase 1.
wow, talk about quick responses!!! lol.

they'd better hurry up with this project. this also includes a 1,200 space parking garage below. 2009 is not that far off.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #930
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Awesome e-mail!

Check out this link: http://wjz.com/local/local_story_044155658.html
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #931
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

what was.....
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #932
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

what is.....
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #933
getontrac

I wonder what Bill has to say about the Olmstead....

Nate
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #934
Baltimoreguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
It was to be called Harbor City Blvd. They put up all the signs before it was actually opened and then changed the name and the signs when it opened as MLK blvd.
Baltimoreguy no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #935
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Thanks SoBo and Baltimoreguy. This was a question I always pondered.

I just can't get over the beauty of these new towers. Finally we got some glass in our skyline.
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #936
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javalady1 View Post
Harlem: Where do you get this stuff? Nevermind, I think I know.

Everyone else: How does the ban a member process work? We should not allow the members of the forum to be continually subjected to this abuse. Please, let's get this started.
You know what;

I think I will be writing a nice little letter to the creator of this website in reguards to steady threats being made towards me because of some individuals dislike of my free-spirit liberal opinions.

There are quite a few things that some of you people have stated that I did not agree to but none of you can ever saay that I have made Personal Threats to the people that I did not agree with.

One thing I do not stand by is having a comunist "Do As I say or get slaughtered" enviroment. The last I checked, this message board is for people to express their different opinions and not to be dictated.

Now that nice little letter I may be writting to the creaters is the first step and that does not have to stop there.

So keep on making threats towards me because from this point I will be docing everything that I find is a personal threat towards me.

Have a Nice Day.

BTW- If some of you disagree with some of my comments you can scroll past my post, use the ignore feature, or your welcome to criticise my comments; I'm not going to go and request to have you banned because you don't agree to some of my comments, that takes away the purpose of having a messageboard and I am always open to constructive criticism as long as it isn't resorting to making personnal threats towards me.

Last edited by harlem87; February 15th, 2007 at 08:37 AM.
harlem87 no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #937
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA

edit
BalWash no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #938
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21230 View Post
The sad thing is that the guy might have some good input if he would learn how to contain his unilateral mentality. I mean, if I strip his postings of all accusations and insults I actually agree with him from time to time.
I'll will try to monitor the way I express my opinions Just As Long As I don't Recieve anymore Personal Threats being made towards me.
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #939
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaWolverine View Post
I agree, however for us from the "dark side", he won't even give us a chance. We're all left-wingers trying to sabotage business/economic growth in Maryland. We've paid off all the Maryland politicians to oppose the ICC and other projects. And we're ignorant southerners who know nothing. It just stupid that I need to be the one to change and not him.
Oh Really.

Why don't you tell the Entire Story about how you THINK that Maryland is wasting their time trying to build a Green Line Subway Extension to BWI Airport but you have no Problems supporting a $4 Billion Subway Extension to Dulles Airport/Loudon County which is close to 30+ miles from DC.
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #940
Javalady1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
You know what;

I think I will be writing a nice little letter to the creator of this website in reguards to steady threats being made towards me because of some individuals dislike of my free-spirit liberal opinions.

There are quite a few things that some of you people have stated that I did not agree to but none of you can ever saay that I have made Personal Threats to the people that I did not agree with.

One thing I do not stand by is having a comunist "Do As I say or get slaughtered" enviroment. The last I checked, this message board is for people to express their different opinions and not to be dictated.

Now that nice little letter I may be writting to the creaters is the first step and that does not have to stop there.

So keep on making threats towards me because from this point I will be docing everything that I find is a personal threat towards me.

Have a Nice Day.
Sadly, I was waiting for this to happen. Harlem, try reading my post again. No threats were made by me. Hmmm....what is docing?
Javalady1 no está en línea  

Closed Thread