daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 20th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #81
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Keep in my mind that

murders

are not necessarily an indicator of overall crime.

Also, measuring the first 2 1/2 weeks is simply too short to confidently say things have gotten worse (compared to when, though?).

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #82
getontrac

Given my position in TRAC, I'll refrain from getting TOO political on this NON-DEVELOPMENT subject.

However, my thoughts on the matter are fairly straigtforward.

There is nothing particularly special about Baltimore as to why murder is so high. It's quite simple: it's much less to do with judges and juries than the police department and the state's attorney's office.

One is more heavily tilted toward corruption and the other tilted toward incompetantance. (I'm not saying which is more which!)

Shortage of funds helped create and helps perpetuate the problem.

Generally speaking though, the people of this City don't like or trust the Police.

Nate
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #83
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Given my position in TRAC, I'll refrain from getting TOO political on this NON-DEVELOPMENT subject.

However, my thoughts on the matter are fairly straigtforward.

There is nothing particularly special about Baltimore as to why murder is so high. It's quite simple: it's much less to do with judges and juries than the police department and the state's attorney's office.

One is more heavily tilted toward corruption and the other tilted toward incompetantance. (I'm not saying which is more which!)

Shortage of funds helped create and helps perpetuate the problem.

Generally speaking though, the people of this City don't like or trust the Police.

Nate
Out of curiosity, where does TRAC get funding? Does the city govt provide any support, or is it all voluntary?
Eerik no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #84
getontrac

We've had a few donations from a few people in the hudreds of dollars range, and most of the rest from membership dues ($10 each, baseline).

Most of our expenses outside fo legal, paper copying, and meeting space is voluntary out-of-pocket from our members. (Often me).

We've just finalized our 501(c)3.

Nate
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #85
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post
So where do Safeway customers park then? That small lot in front of the store? Plus, overflow neighborhood parking uses that lot after 6pm, when a spot is hard to find on the street. Filling in that lot will make parking in Canton almost worse than Fed Hill IMO.
There are lots of ways to accomplish this. Traditional cities are not based on surface parking. Surface parking is the antithesis of classic urbanism. The great and beloved cities have the least parking. I don't think there are any exceptions based up subjective experience in the US.

Structured parking can be incorporated into new developments that will maintain most or all of the current parking load. As density increases, more services become available. This results in the distance from services being reduced from a given residence or business. As the travel distances are reduced, there is less need (or impetus) to drive to a duplicitive parking space for a given vehicle in that neighborhood. More will choose to walk than drive.

The difficultly is not to develop too much of the land area with lower-density building types. By modern American living standards, 2 story rowhouses do not provide sufficient density if they constitute the overwhelming majority of the housing in a neighborhood. One could find the neighborhood built out in land area, but not at a sufficient density to support businesses because the walking distances are too far and or there is limited street parking.

This is why the planning department and commission want these towers. They understand density is the key to urban vitality. Unless we go back to the old days when finances constrained multiple families into one house, a city of mostly rowhouses will not provide an efficient and convenient living environment like addin more multi-family units and apartment buildings.

Cities that attempt or evolve high-density with parking and auto-dependence are usually harsh environments or not beloved environments. (I contend more people dislike than like LA or Miami; but those cities are now being forced to resort to traditional urbanism to deal with their high densities and are moving away from the auto--well, everything's relative in LA, I guess).

Nate
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #86
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Whew! I finally caught up, 25 pages on comments and since I last posted on Jan.3. Thats a lot of dedicated people on this thread and one annoying one about 10 pages back .

Getontrac are there any plans to expand the eastern end of boston St. to the expressway? It drops from a nicely landscaped 4 lane road to a rough 2 lane road that crosses multiple railroad tracks at Ground level.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #87
Maudibjr
Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post

Finally, did anyone notice that Susquehana Bank recently reported looking for space in the area, and took some in Timonium or one of the other suburbs? Does anyone know if downtown or another city area was a serious candidate for the bank, or if they just wanted cheap, back-office space?
Susquhanna recently moved out of the office building on West Rd next to the York Rd. exit in Towson. So they were really only moving from Towson to Timonium.

I have also seen there headquarters in Littiz, pretty neat what they did there.
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #88
Maudibjr
Indeed

I just got back from a buisness trip to Iowa City. Which is where the Univ. of Iowa is. When I mentioned that I was from Baltimore, almost everyone mentioned what a cool place it seemed to be the college kids especially. Soi at least one place thinks were cool

As I left BWI I took Russsel st into the city, I have to say that at least at night the new Hampton Inn across from Camden Yards seems scaled very nice and looks good. Additionally, with the Zenith almost done and the convention hotel going up the corner of Russel and Pratt has gone from nothing to very densely devloped intersection. It creates a nice urban gateway to people travelling north into the city on 295.
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #89
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

yeah, if nothing else, I believe their "Gateway" concept has been accomplished.
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #90
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Md. highway agency to sell Brooklandville site
By Julie Scharper
Sun reporter
Originally published January 20, 2007
The State Highway Administration plans to vacate a site that it has occupied for more than 40 years and sell the 10-acre property, located near Green Spring Station in Brooklandville, to developers.
Selling the land and moving operations to new offices will ultimately save the state money, spokeswoman Valerie Burnette Edgar said.

"Our study determined it made more sense economically to build something new," she said. "Because of the area there, when we go to sell [the land], it should be very worthwhile."

Neighbors say they are concerned about the possibility of more development in an area troubled by heavy traffic. The plot of land, on West Joppa Road near the intersection with Falls Road, is currently zoned to allow the construction of 10 homes, but there is a possibility that the zoning could be changed to allow a greater density of homes or offices and retail space.

"There would be a lot of local opposition to anything other than what the land is currently zoned for," said Bob Moore, president of the Falls Road Community Association.

Properties in the Falls Road corridor have been the source of fierce zoning battles, as residents struggle to preserve the area's rural feel and developers lobby for new projects in the exclusive neighborhood. The county has deemed three nearby intersections as failing because they are so clogged with traffic.

A dispute over potential development on the site of the nearby Green Spring Racquet Club has embroiled community members, politicians and the property's owners for years.

Edgar said that there are no plans to change the plot's zoning before it is sold.

The highway administration runs two operations from Brooklandville. Both are expected to be moved by early 2008, and the property will be made available for sale soon after, she said.

The District 4 office, which handles maintenance and construction for Baltimore and Harford counties, will be moved to a building under construction near the light rail station on Warren Road in Cockeysville, Edgar said.

The regional Office of Materials and Technology and an associated laboratory will move to a new building in the Hanover area of Anne Arundel County, where it will be consolidated with offices that are located in Easton, Hancock and Greenbelt.

About 90 people who work in the District 4 office will be transferred to the new site in Cockeysville. The approximately 170 people employed by the materials office will have the option to transfer to Hanover, Edgar said.

The administration intends to decrease the number of employees in the four regional offices through attrition, she said.

The buildings at the Brooklandville site, which the administration has occupied since 1964, would require more than $16 million in repairs.

"The building itself is really antiquated and old," Edgar said. "Frankly, when we sell the property, we fully expect that it would be razed."

A small repair shop, laboratory and gas tank are also located at the site, she said.

She added that the administration hopes to receive between $4.5 million and $7 million from the sale of the property, which has an assessed value of $3.7 million.

The property should bring in about $100,000 of annual tax revenue, she said. The property does not currently generate tax revenue because it is state land.

Reduced costs for personnel and operating expenses at the new offices, when added to revenue generated by the site, should save the state $5.8 million over a 30-year period, she said.

Construction on the Cockeysville site is set to start this year, with an estimated cost of $25 million to $30 million, she said.

[email protected]
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #91
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

http://www.mddailyrecord.com/publica...2001.12.07.pdf

A GREAT link! Click it.

Old January 20th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #92
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
AWESOME, you need to post that in the Maryland forum as well!

Where did you get it?
Old January 20th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #93
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
I just got back from a buisness trip to Iowa City. Which is where the Univ. of Iowa is. When I mentioned that I was from Baltimore, almost everyone mentioned what a cool place it seemed to be the college kids especially. Soi at least one place thinks were cool

As I left BWI I took Russsel st into the city, I have to say that at least at night the new Hampton Inn across from Camden Yards seems scaled very nice and looks good. Additionally, with the Zenith almost done and the convention hotel going up the corner of Russel and Pratt has gone from nothing to very densely devloped intersection. It creates a nice urban gateway to people travelling north into the city on 295.
Yup.

Old January 20th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #94
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
this link is nice!!!! very detailed. it's definitely worth reading.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #95
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
AWESOME, you need to post that in the Maryland forum as well!

Where did you get it?
I got it from the www.mddailyrecord.com website.

Yeah, I'll post it there, too.

BTW, great picture of the Zenith from that view.

Old January 20th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #96
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Hale is advertising in Daily Record

a new 450,000 sq ft building in Canton Crossing called Harbor Edge. It will be an office building with retail space. This further makes me believe there will not be a need for a large office building in the Central Business District for a while. My guess is 10 Inner Harbor, 300 East Pratt, the Mechanic Site will likely be condo's/apartments and retail.

Also, new office space is likely to come online in Locust Point(expansion of Tide Point likely for Under Armor,etc..), Brewers Hill(Tulkoff moved his plant next to Nanny Boh), and Four Season's may have office space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
this link is nice!!!! very detailed. it's definitely worth reading.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #97
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
Yup.

Great picture, Silver Springer!
Just imagine the Hilton rising next to the Zenith, now.
It'll be a wall of urbanity greeting residents and newcomers, alike.

Old January 20th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #98
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
a new 450,000 sq ft building in Canton Crossing called Harbor Edge. It will be an office building with retail space. This further makes me believe there will not be a need for a large office building in the Central Business District for a while. My guess is 10 Inner Harbor, 300 East Pratt, the Mechanic Site will likely be condo's/apartments and retail.

Also, new office space is likely to come online in Locust Point(expansion of Tide Point likely for Under Armor,etc..), Brewers Hill(Tulkoff moved his plant next to Nanny Boh), and Four Season's may have office space.
I agree.
I'm really excited about the 4 Seasons. Can't wait to see the changes. I'm sure it will be for the better. And if there is an office space component to that project, yeah, I think it will make the tower/s a little taller.
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #99
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Steve

I will e-mail my contact at Struever in Feburary(last spoke in November) about the Four Seasons and Harbor Point. The person is a reliable source.

Quote:
I agree.
I'm really excited about the 4 Seasons. Can't wait to see the changes. I'm sure it will be for the better. And if there is an office space component to that project, yeah, I think it will make the tower/s a little taller.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #100
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
I will e-mail my contact at Struever in Feburary(last spoke in November) about the Four Seasons and Harbor Point. The person is a reliable source.
Sounds good!

Closed Thread