daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 18th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #1041
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Anyone remember this project?

yeah, it's that parking lot directly across the street from lexington market (i think).

this project is one of MANY that has been put on hold for one reason or another. like drewbwhite said, let's hope that it's just due to the market.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #1042
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

Thanks guys. Hopefully someday we won't need a shotty photoshop job to see that view, and we'll be able to step outside and see all those great buildings. From that view, it is easy to see how a tall tower at One Light Street will help the skyline. I can also imagine how the Naing Towers and a tower at the BCCC site or Lockwood Place would really densify the skyline.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #1043
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

This rendering looks like it has some sort of ground-level retail. Can anyone verify if this project has a retail element?
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #1044
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 312

Someone might have answered this question before and I just missed it, but what is that ledge on the cordish tower?
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #1045
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 312

If they are settling for a 14,000 seat arena they might as well keep the POS we currently have and put that money toward something else!
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1046
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
yeah, it's that parking lot directly across the street from lexington market (i think).

this project is one of MANY that has been put on hold for one reason or another. like drewbwhite said, let's hope that it's just due to the market.
This is actually supposed to be atop the Lexington Market West Garage.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #1047
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
Someone might have answered this question before and I just missed it, but what is that ledge on the cordish tower?
Dude, it's like I said, it's a zip line platform to the Inner Harbor gondola station.

Nate
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1048
micrip

Likes (Received): 1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
If they are settling for a 14,000 seat arena they might as well keep the POS we currently have and put that money toward something else!
They've gotta be kidding. 18,000 seats or don't build anything. You need at least that much to attract NBA or NHL (although I have serious doubts the Balt/Wash area could support 2 of either of these) NCAA regionals, politcal conventions, first rate concerts, etc. It's the same backwards thinking that resulted in the Civic Center.
micrip no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #1049
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Peter, you done a great job!
Thank you for putting your time into it.

As for the 14,000 seat arena thing.....
I hope that's false info.
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #1050
getontrac

If the area story is true, it certainly doesn't help my previously held feelings regarding the GBC!

Everyone must be on some fun vacation this weekend! It's a ghost town on this board. Good for them, this ice and these water main breaks in this town are no fun to deal with. I'm stuck here on a vacation from life!

Nate
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #1051
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4016

Went to Power Plant Live last night and to my surprize I found
Baja Beach club and Have A Nice Day Cafe were both closed.
Is this due to "Balloon" site re-development? I don't think it's from
a lack of bussiness.

Hal

Last edited by hpal3; February 18th, 2007 at 07:18 PM.
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #1052
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

What would happen to the existing Arena site if a new stadium is built? Apartments? Although I know the space is prohibitive, and that new construction would leave us without a functional arena for several years, my wish would be to retain an arena on the West Side, without destroying more historic buildings in the process. I just feel that, as the east side of town garners most of the attention in new development, moving a key attraction from the West Side will leave the area with one less piece of nightlife. Are there any (mostly vacant and not historically significant) properties around the U of Md that would be suitable for a stadium site?
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #1053
getontrac

This is an issue I've gone over with several people on numerous occasions.
Some have suggested the Hilton Convention Center was a waste of valuable space and a hotel/bus station/and arena could have been accomodated all in the same site. I think it was a missed opportunity.

I don't think there is sufficient space on the westside without entailing more historic demolition. I think the arena needs to go. I suggest Mondawmin as a site, but I was vehemently nixed because it's not easily accessible from the south suburbs.

Perhpas Oldtown/Fallsway area? Reasonably good transportation access and space available. Doesn't have subway/LR, though. Could be great revitalizer, esp. for the "Naing" area of downtown.

The old arena needs to go. Without day to day sporting events to keep that area alive, the architecture is a massive hinderance and is probably depressing real estate on the west side of Charles Center. I think we should follow Design Collective's Master Plan:

Demolish the arena. Rebuild Redwood St. North of Redwood buid a 4/5 story underground garage with a park on top (watchout for the subway and the CSX tunnel ). Develop new real esate between Redwood and Lombard. And of course inprove the horrible streetscaping which acts as a buffer between CC and the Westside.

Nate
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #1054
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpal3 View Post
Is this due to "Balloon" site re-development. I don't think it's from
a lack of bussiness.Hal

I'd heard about HANDC, but not Baja. It had been mentioned earlier on the board. Some say it's in response to the Cordish tower, but I've heard others say 2 new clubs are moving in. A cop told me he knows Cordish and they aren't going to let him take that bulding because "you can only develop so much"; whatever that means. So that's rumor too much to post articulately.

Baja is curious though, maybe they had a water main break.

Nate
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #1055
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Could be

A person who works for Jay Brodie(President of Balto Development Corp) told me the Cordish Tower has gained momentum and expect some news by summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpal3 View Post
Is this due to "Balloon" site re-development. I don't think it's from
a lack of bussiness.

Hal
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #1056
hpal3

No broken water main! Power Plant Live's web site has dropped both clubs from their list of clubs and restraunts. Is it a coincodence that both of these clubs have closed and are on the sam side of P.P.L. adjacent to cordish site?
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #1057
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
I'd heard about HANDC, but not Baja. It had been mentioned earlier on the board. Some say it's in response to the Cordish tower, but I've heard others say 2 new clubs are moving in. A cop told me he knows Cordish and they aren't going to let him take that bulding because "you can only develop so much"; whatever that means. So that's rumor too much to post articulately.

Baja is curious though, maybe they had a water main break.

Nate
well, you do realize that if they DON'T get rid of that building where the Have A Nice Day Cafe is, cordish has no choice but to settle for that "cookie on the top" looking building. The mere thought of that tower being built is enough to make a person have nightmares.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #1058
hpal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
well, you do realize that if they DON'T get rid of that building where the Have A Nice Day Cafe is, cordish has no choice but to settle for that "cookie on the top" looking building. The mere thought of that tower being built is enough to make a person have nightmares.
This is bitter sweet! I sure liked both of these clubs.
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #1059
getontrac

I'm pretty sure that Baja was never part of Power Plant Live, so it shouldn't be on its website. It's location is near PPL and often confused with it, but Baja's been there before PPL existed, IIRC.

Nate
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1060
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

I'd like to see the arena demolished too.
I'd like to see, (and I've said this before, I believe), a huge entertainment venue. Have a world-class indoor skatepark surrounded by seating with a large restaurant in it. Have a place where live music can be plyed. Have video games, pool tables, air hockey, and the like. Add some bowling lanes and a cinema for wide released motion pictures. Make it a "multi-entertainment" venue. Have some retail that would compliment the targeted customer. Maybe an "X-Treme Sports" Hall of Fame of some sort located there as well. ESPNZone is pretty big and it all started in Baltimore first.
Why not create a "X-Land Cafe" in Baltimore? It would appeal to young people and middle-age people. People from the city or surrounding areas could inline skate, skateboard and ride their BMX bikes there. Pros would be able to hold competitions there from time to time. Awesome music and lighting/other special effects throughout the place. Baltimore is home to one of pro-skating's greatest skaters, "Bucky Lasek". Having a place like this could help lure an "X-Games" to Baltimore.

Closed Thread