daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:36 AM   #1181
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

TRAC and I are against consolidating buses on a few select streets.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:05 AM   #1182
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Thanks Steve

I can't wait to hear the plans for 10 Inner Harbor, 300 East Pratt and the Cordish Tower. I hope all these projects break ground soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Update on "10 INNER HARBOR"

I e-mailed Mr. Wheeler yesterday.
Here it is:

Hello, Mr. Wheeler. I've a question for you.

Since you're redeveloping Baltimore's B&O building into a "10" brand hotel in Baltimore, does that mean the "10 Inner Harbor" tower will not be getting a "10" hotel now?

Very curious as to how that will effect the final scale/design of the project as well. Thank you.

Steve

Here is his relatively quick response:

Hi Steve:

10 Inner Harbor will have a “statement hotel” not a boutique like the B&O Building. We should be announcing program on 10 Inner Harbor within 3 weeks. Thanks Hal

-------------------------------------------

Well? Sounds good to me. 3 weeks and counting.......
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:31 AM   #1183
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Pratt Street Concept Coverage

http://wjz.com/topstories/local_story_049141928.html

video top at the top
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:39 AM   #1184
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Steve

Here is his relatively quick response:

Hi Steve:

10 Inner Harbor will have a “statement hotel” not a boutique like the B&O Building. We should be announcing program on 10 Inner Harbor within 3 weeks. Thanks Hal

-------------------------------------------

Well? Sounds good to me. 3 weeks and counting.......
wow, three weeks? that'll be here in no time!! i have a good vibe about this "statement hotel".
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:43 AM   #1185
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
i had no idea that this inner harbor makeover was a SIX YEAR project. that's a long time when you think about it.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:53 AM   #1186
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
wow, three weeks? that'll be here in no time!! i have a good vibe about this "statement hotel".
w
by quarter end
southbalto no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:21 AM   #1187
folsomfanatic

Quote:
i had no idea that this inner harbor makeover was a SIX YEAR project. that's a long time when you think about it.
it is a long time, but it is 16 blocks with major pedestrian spaces and plazas to consider, plus you have to factor in detailed planning and design, engineering and construction!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:05 AM   #1188
scando

Likes (Received): 453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Thanks for typing out the proposals guys.

I guess I am in the minority, but I think downtown traffic flows reletively well.

I guess I was looking to see smaller scale athestic changes. Livining up mckeldin and the legg mason plaza, removing the berms. I don't think the inner harbor pavilons are going to be removed anytime soon, so I consider that idea pie in the sky.

I do like the idea of a seperated bike trail parrelling Pratt However.
I agree on the pavillions. This exercise reminds me that keeping all options open during a design exercise isn't always good. Harborplace made the IH work and remains a great location. I think the city went through that drama when they allowed the pavillions to be built and there was a no-build petition drive that came to a ballot and barely lost. If it had won the IH would consist of people playing frisbee. We don't want to go back to that. There should have been a precondition in the competition that certain things wouldn't change, like, don't tear down Harborplace and don't mess up traffic.

As for making the streets two-way, in the absence of a serious transit system (not likely to materialize for decades), if we shut down the roads, downtown would be in serious trouble. Like it or not, traffic is expedited by one way streets; cars and trucks will continue to infest downtown streets for quite a while.

I'm somewhat interested in the idea of the bikeway, except that as an avid cyclist, I don't think it would work very well. Running parallel to Pratt, bikes would have to stop at every block and dodge pedestrians too. It would cause the more impatient among them to try to jump the traffic, probably with injurious results. Only professional bike messengers have sprinter's legs that can handle that sort of riding. In addition, unless there are other bike lanes that connect to a Pratt St bikeway, what's the sense; you couldn't get to the bikeway unless you're macho enough to weed your way through other streets first.

I also find the idea of lots of benches interesting. There are already plenty of benches in the area now but none of them get used except by the vagrants who live on them. I'd be glad to see the berms go, but I don't think that will solve the vagrant problem.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:16 AM   #1189
scando

Quote:
The media stories also seem to be saying, "this is what will happen". At this point there are a bunch of competing plans on paper, no decision, no detail plans and no funding. Considering how long it is taking to implement the long standing plans to re-make Charles St in Charles Village (still waiting to see the first shovel of dirt turned), this might be more than 6 years before it even begins. I hope everybody comes to their senses on things like tearing down Harborplace or making Charles St two-way before they do anything rash.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:22 AM   #1190
folsomfanatic

I'm somewhat interested in the idea of the bikeway, except that as an avid cyclist, I don't think it would work very well. Running parallel to Pratt, bikes would have to stop at every block and dodge pedestrians too. .[/QUOTE]

The proposed lane was seperated from the pedestrian realm and the street traffic too by a landscaped median. it was located on the southern side of pratt street, which eliminates all road crossings from calvert to president street. though it is tough to cross intersections, having a dedicated lane would be extremely safe for bicyclists. all of the other proposals had the bike lanes in with the traffic. the lane was also linked to the existing/proposed bike trail along light street and was proposed to be paved with a delineated material to highlight its unique use. it seemed like a neat way to stitch all of the blocks/districts of pratt together with a transit/bike lane opportunity!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:24 AM   #1191
folsomfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
The media stories also seem to be saying, "this is what will happen". At this point there are a bunch of competing plans on paper, no decision, no detail plans and no funding. Considering how long it is taking to implement the long standing plans to re-make Charles St in Charles Village (still waiting to see the first shovel of dirt turned), this might be more than 6 years before it even begins. I hope everybody comes to their senses on things like tearing down Harborplace or making Charles St two-way before they do anything rash.
if they become available, you'll see that the EDSA Team in fact had a detail plan for every block of the study area!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:18 AM   #1192
scando

Quote:
if they become available, you'll see that the EDSA Team in fact had a detail plan for every block of the study area!
Part of my concern is that I don't have the faith to believe that the city government has the money or resolve to make a big plan happen. The Charles St project near Hopkins Homewood has languished on paper for several years in spite of being considerably less ambitious than a 16 block Pratt St plan. I would prefer that they kept things simple but doable rather than a grand plan to build circles, reroute traffic, etc.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:25 AM   #1193
Javalady1

I attended the monthly Key Highway Community Association meeting this evening. There were two main topics:

Ritz Carlton progress:
This project is ahead of the contractual construction schedule. The first residents are projected to close in late September to late October of this year. These are buildings 5 and 6. The public promenade has been completed where it surrounds these two buildings with the remainder projected to be completed by the late fall. They are hoping to have all the amenities available at that time as well to include: The Pearl Spa, a 10K sf well known 5 star restaurant, courtyards, movie theatre, conference rooms. All concrete should be poured by the late fall as well. There are a total of 192 units of which 125 have been sold (65%). The units range between $1M and $5.9M with an average of $750sf. Some units were described as being 2500sf under air with an additional private 2500sf outdoor terrace.

Chesapeake Paperboard project:
This project is located in Locust Point next to Phillips Seafood. It’s a mixed-use project with office, grocery store, retail, restaurants and residential. There will be 250 apartments (not condo) with two parking garages with 1K spaces. The developer is in negotiations right now for a higher-end grocery as well as the restaurants and retail. He expects to break ground this fall with 16-17 month build out. The apartments will be one and two bedrooms with some loft units on top floors and will rent for and average of $2sf.

I may have left something out, but this is the gist.

Also, as an aside, KHCA is developing a mentoring program in conjunction with the Digital Harbor High School if anyone is interested. You can sign up with no commitment. I did. It’s in the very early planning stages.
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:33 AM   #1194
scando

Quote:
The proposed lane was seperated from the pedestrian realm and the street traffic too by a landscaped median. it was located on the southern side of pratt street, which eliminates all road crossings from calvert to president street. though it is tough to cross intersections, having a dedicated lane would be extremely safe for bicyclists. all of the other proposals had the bike lanes in with the traffic. the lane was also linked to the existing/proposed bike trail along light street and was proposed to be paved with a delineated material to highlight its unique use. it seemed like a neat way to stitch all of the blocks/districts of pratt together with a transit/bike lane opportunity!
Auto traffic crossings would be dicey but predictable, but without a fence I don't think there would be any way to keep pedestrians from crossing the lane pretty much anywhere and anytime in spite of markings. Since bicycles are not as threatening as cars, pedestrians often do not grant anything like right of way. Collisions between bikes and people are rarely fatal but they do result in unpleasant road rash and broken collarbones. No road crossings from Calvert to President doesn't really amount to much; that's just enough space to get up to speed and hit some pedestrians coming out of the Power Plant Live.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:35 AM   #1195
getontrac

Do you have any idea of the square footage of the grocery store and other establishments?

Are the 2 garages totally 1000 spaces comeletely dedicated to the project above or will they share it with Phillips?

Thanks,
Nate
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:38 AM   #1196
getontrac

Come on Scando, there's a reasonable chance we might have a semi-serious transit system within a decade to decade and a half! It can happen! Things are gonna change I can feel it.....

We convert back to two-way everything, watch downtown become immobile....

I think I'll repost a post I wrote for EnvisionBaltimore on here: "Whither the Barnes effect?"

Nate
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:48 AM   #1197
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2659

I'm curious to know what you would consider a semi-serious transit system, Nate...
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:59 AM   #1198
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Come on Scando, there's a reasonable chance we might have a semi-serious transit system within a decade to decade and a half! It can happen! Things are gonna change I can feel it.....
Nate
There still might be at least one drop of gasoline left in 15 years so there's plenty of time then to start thinking about transit. Add in those hydrogen fuel cell cars that will hit the streets any time now for no more than 2 million apiece...got plenty of time.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:01 AM   #1199
getontrac

Part(s) of a serious one...

Really, I'm sober. Although, I'd like not to be, but all these medications say avoid alcohol. After Saturday before last, I believe them.

BTW, I was at Mercy again to see the orthropedic surgeon (good news, only physical therapy for now). If one didn't know better, you'd think they were rehabbing the old townhouses. All the windows are out and people are inside. But, of course, it's rat abatement or something. I'd really like that wrecking ball to strike that Calvert St garage...it might get rid of the animosity I have for the loss of the Rochambeau!

Truthfully, Mercy's probably right. From an aerial viewpoint, the houses constitute over 1/3 of the whole footprint, maybe 40%. I think they may be legitimately sacrificing their objectives to attempt to work around the houses. I suppose I'm convertable to the "large footprint need for hospital care...." reasoning and all that....

Nate
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:01 AM   #1200
Javalady1

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Do you have any idea of the square footage of the grocery store and other establishments?

Are the 2 garages totally 1000 spaces comeletely dedicated to the project above or will they share it with Phillips?

Thanks,
Nate
The grocery store will be 42K sf on one level with an 8K sf of loft area for a total of 50K. In addition, the retail area will total 107K sf. The garages will NOT be shared with Phillips. However, they will be shared among the office building, apartments, retail and the grocery store. The developer is only required to supply 500 spots but is providing twice as many. The apartments will be mainly brick with glass and metal elements. The existing water tower will be re-skinned to be aesthetically pleasing and there will be a place to sit, eat, relax, etc., near this location as well. This property was a brownfield that the developer has already remediated at a cost of $1M.
Javalady1 no está en línea  

Closed Thread