daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:05 AM   #1201
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
There still might be at least one drop of gasoline left in 15 years so there's plenty of time then to start thinking about transit. Add in those hydrogen fuel cell cars that will hit the streets any time now for no more than 2 million apiece...got plenty of time.
Sadly, I can't tell what point you're making or in what manner you're being facetious, but I know you are! Certain things don't communicate well over the screen, I more of a person to person humorist....

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:07 AM   #1202
getontrac

Locust Point is the most parking driven neigbhorhood in the Old City....It amazes me the developers are willing to finance all that extra expense.

No more rants from me.....

Nate
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:30 AM   #1203
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Sadly, I can't tell what point you're making or in what manner you're being facetious, but I know you are! Certain things don't communicate well over the screen, I more of a person to person humorist....

Nate
My comments are tainted by cynicism and gallows humor. Given that I know more than I want to know about how things are funded by the State, unfortunately I realize that the decisions about transit in Baltimore are being driven not by merit but by the politics of budget. The last administration funded its balanced budget partially by "borrowing" from the transportation funds, which were already pointing toward a serious multi-billion dollar deficit years earlier, prior to Ehrlich. Gobs of money are going toward the ICC and may end up going to projects in the DC area due to the BRAC. O'Malley won't want to look too much like the "Governor of Baltimore" and probably doesn't want to tell voters in Frostburg or Princess Anne that he will raise their taxes so Baltimore can have a new subway. Add all that up and it makes things look not too good for our system. That's pretty discouraging but it's what we have to live with.

Oh well, enough cheer for one day.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:43 AM   #1204
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

As far as the Pratt Street makeover goes, who said the city will actually pay for it? The city will mostly OVERSEE redevelopment. For the most part, BDC envisions the vast majority of funding to come from the private sector. But even then, it will take years to realize the vision. As scando suggested, if it takes years to address a small site, imagine a main thoroughfare through the heart of the city…

I also think the idea of a bike-lane is somewhat unimpressive: bald-faced policy without substinence. Mere pipedreams…

But while bike-lanes might be pipedreams here, a few months ago while in Copenhagen, I came close to being run over by several bicyclists. The Danes (as well as most of the civilized world) are huge bicycle enthusiasts. In Copenhagen, bikes share the street with cars…and there are thousands of them. Maybe bikes will catch on in the States (and in Baltimore too) and we’ll finally address other problems, such as health issues, i.e. lack of exercise?
Eerik no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:47 AM   #1205
Javalady1

Quote:
Locust Point is the most parking driven neigbhorhood in the Old City....It amazes me the developers are willing to finance all that extra expense.

No more rants from me.....

Nate
Chesapeake Paperboard is about a mile from my house and the new mixed-use development sounds like a place that I will frequent. It will be nice to have a decent grocery store close by and maybe a real card store.

One of my biggest complaints about Baltimore is the lack of serious public transit after having lived in the DC suburbs (MoCo and NoVA) for 21 years. However, if not for the parking, what should I do with my car when I get there? I'm not going to wait at a bus stop or walk that mile home while I'm carrying bags of groceries. It's a catch-22.
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM   #1206
getontrac

BRAC is Baltimore's baby.

A deferred Red Line is better than a fast-track LRT/BRT Red Line anyway.

If you haven't already, read the Transit Funding Steering Committee Report. Listed are varying ways of taxing, some that exclude non-metopolitan counties.

Nate
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM   #1207
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javalady1 View Post
Chesapeake Paperboard is about a mile from my house and the new mixed-use development sounds like a place that I will frequent. It will be nice to have a decent grocery store close by and maybe a real card store.

One of my biggest complaints about Baltimore is the lack of serious public transit after having lived in the DC suburbs (MoCo and NoVA) for 21 years. However, if not for the parking, what should I do with my car when I get there? I'm not going to wait at a bus stop or walk that mile home while I'm carrying bags of groceries. It's a catch-22.

Zone for greater density. Let me step back for a second, Locust point doesn't need the AMOUNT of parking they point there in the first place from what I've read of recent developments.

The greater the density the closer the commercial/retail establishments will be to one another, therefore the higher percentage that will be in walking distance, the few parking spaces needed.

The most popular cities are the densest, almost without exception. The correlation is incredible.

Nate

Last edited by getontrac; February 22nd, 2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:45 AM   #1208
adammeisterin2007

Quote:
Last, quick note before I'm out. I just respond to the vacant lots part. My recollection is that the City did want to expand to vacant lots for practical and logistical reasons for development purposes. I don't think there was a reason NOT too....

Nate
Nate,
I just realized that earlier today I emailed you about meeting Edward last night and loving your site:
www.getontrac.org

It just hit me that you were the same guy from this board. I look forward to going to your meeting next month.

Adam
adammeisterin2007 no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:12 PM   #1209
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Quote:
TRAC and I are against consolidating buses on a few select streets.

Nate
TRAC is not the MTA. They are just one small group who has input, like the rest of the Citizens of Maryland do, into the decision making process.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:18 PM   #1210
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Update on "10 INNER HARBOR"

I e-mailed Mr. Wheeler yesterday.
Here it is:

Hello, Mr. Wheeler. I've a question for you.

Since you're redeveloping Baltimore's B&O building into a "10" brand hotel in Baltimore, does that mean the "10 Inner Harbor" tower will not be getting a "10" hotel now?

Very curious as to how that will effect the final scale/design of the project as well. Thank you.
Steve

Here is his relatively quick response:

Hi Steve:
10 Inner Harbor will have a “statement hotel” not a boutique like the B&O Building. We should be announcing program on 10 Inner Harbor within 3 weeks. Thanks Hal
-------------------------------------------

Well? Sounds good to me. 3 weeks and counting.......
W? Come on. I'm pulling for ya! I'd take a Monaco too!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM   #1211
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

i was thinking today with everything that has gone up at Harbor East...

it would be costly and crazy, but it seems like there could have been a tunnel between key highway and president street. a larger interchange at 95 would swing people off to Key and then the tunnel would go under the harbor near the museum of industry.

the mess would be the president street side because even more traffic would be heading that way.

totally not feasible though!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1212
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
i was thinking today with everything that has gone up at Harbor East...

it would be costly and crazy, but it seems like there could have been a tunnel between key highway and president street. a larger interchange at 95 would swing people off to Key and then the tunnel would go under the harbor near the museum of industry.

the mess would be the president street side because even more traffic would be heading that way.

totally not feasible though!
What if the tunnel were to extend from Harbor east to key highway at the intersection of Lawrence and key? And what if that tunnel had 2 tubes, one for subway which would extend up to the shot tower and one tube with 2 lanes of traffic, making this more of a collector type street rather than an arterial. The city can build the parking garage on the GE site and the state can put in a marc rail stop in the riverside CSX yard. This can be a transportation node that will connect either side of the harbor for locals, as well as commuters who choose to park or ride the rail to this subway stop with can take them to harbor easy, JHH and downtown.. I think it’s a great idea.

Folsomfanatic, I work for WR&A as a civil engineer. www.wrallp.com
Hood no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM   #1213
waj0527

Likes (Received): 468

Landmark Theatres to open outlet at Inner Harbor East this summer

BALTIMORE - Inner Harbor East will welcome a new addition this summer.

Landmark Theatres is building a new seven-screen theater in Baltimore directly on the waterfront in the heart of the Baltimore City, providing a real economic boost to the east end corridor.

“Clearly the momentum is building in the Inner Harbor East,” said Mike Evitts, spokesman for the Downtown Partnership. “The opening of Landmark Theatres is a hard and concrete economic development asset reinforcing the Inner Harbor East as a viable place for people to live. Already it is attracting other high-end retailers who will cluster around that site.”

“This fits in with Mayor Dixon’s plans to increase the foot traffic in downtown Baltimore, which will ultimately increase revenues for area businesses,” said the mayor’s press secretary, Anthony McCarthy. “Landmark has a rich tradition of bringing quality films and events to their locations. Having them here will increase the number of venues we have to offer our residents and provide an additional attraction for the city’s tourism industry and expand our economic base.”

Landmark owns more than 56 theaters with more than 208 screens. The company is known for showcasing classic American, independent and foreign films. Its properties are chic and serve gourmet foods and drinks. Landmark launched in 1974 in West Los Angeles, Calif., with its initial acquisition of the historic Nuarte movie house, and now boasts properties across the country.

The construction of the site is being handled by Struever Brothers, Eccles and Rouse and is slated to be completed in late August.

“This will be a showcase when completed and a major draw to this corridor,” said Bob Rubenkonig, of Struever Brothers, Eccles and Rouse.

Landmark’s Baltimore property will be located at the corners of President and Aliceanna Streets in the Inner Harbor East.

[email protected]
waj0527 está en línea ahora  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM   #1214
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wada_guy View Post
TRAC is not the MTA. They are just one small group who has input, like the rest of the Citizens of Maryland do, into the decision making process.
We are most certainly not the MTA. We are a transit advocacy group composed of transit riders.

Nate
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:31 PM   #1215
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
What if the tunnel were to extend from Harbor east to key highway at the intersection of Lawrence and key? And what if that tunnel had 2 tubes, one for subway which would extend up to the shot tower and one tube with 2 lanes of traffic, making this more of a collector type street rather than an arterial. The city can build the parking garage on the GE site and the state can put in a marc rail stop in the riverside CSX yard. This can be a transportation node that will connect either side of the harbor for locals, as well as commuters who choose to park or ride the rail to this subway stop with can take them to harbor easy, JHH and downtown.. I think it’s a great idea.

Check out the FRA Report from December 2005 about our freight tunnel needs. (Did I send you that already?) We may be able to incorporate a subway tunnel (initially bus) along with the freight tunnel from Canton to Locust Point. Probably $4.5-$6 BILLION though. That line would have to come first, however.

Nate
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM   #1216
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post

very cool! I work as a planner/urban designer here at EDSA. Once we get downtown, we should see if there are any opportunities for our firms to work together.

very interesting thoughts on the federal hill/harbor east tunnel!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:49 PM   #1217
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
very cool! I work as a planner/urban designer here at EDSA. Once we get downtown, we should see if there are any opportunities for our firms to work together.

very interesting thoughts on the federal hill/harbor east tunnel!
I heard you were moving. too bad Scotty left for CS&D before the big move. We have worked together and I look forward to doing it again. We did the zoo before things went sour between your firm and the zoo, we also did a masterplan for Essex/Middle river that won acclain, but squabbling marina owners didn't cooperate so the plan was never enacted. send me your contact info via private message and I'll send you an email.

Jeff
Hood no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:58 PM   #1218
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Law Firm Inks 7-Year Lease at Harborplace

Duane Morris LLP Leases 20th Floor of Downtown Baltimore Office Tower

Duane Morris LLP, an international law firm, leased 12,516 square feet at 111 S. Calvert Street in downtown Baltimore. The firm will occupy the 20th floor of the 28-story tower for the next seven years.

Known as the Harborplace Tower, the 254,682-square-foot, Class A office building is across the street from Baltimore's Inner Harbor. The tower features a three-story atrium, 24-hour property management and views of the harbor and the city.

Kasey Hughes of Transwestern represented Duane Morris LLP. Kimberly Penny, David Fields and Kevin Wille represented the landlord, General Growth Properties.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:17 PM   #1219
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

From the BBJ:

Brodie: Mechanic 'obsolescence' could mean demolishment for theater

BDC President M.J. "Jay" Brodie said that, based on recent meetings with the new owners of the Mechanic Theatre property, he expects sentimentality will be set aside and the building will be demolished to make way for a bigger, taller mixed-use project.

"In terms of economic development, nostalgia does not serve the city very well," he said. "Obsolescence really produces a new opportunity."

Interesting... I haven't heard word of the Mechanic being demolished before. Just plans for the developers to try to incorporate retail inside the existing space. I wonder how tall this new project could end up being?
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1220
waj0527

Likes (Received): 468

Hmmm...ganz intressant.

This is the first Ive heard of demolition as well. I'd be ALL for it. That'd be a great place for some height.

Xander....great avatar btw.
waj0527 está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread