daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 24th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1281
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

well, I just e-mailed Hal Wheeler about this news on the 10 IH building.
My e-mail:

Hello Hal,
I was told by a forumer at our website that 10 Inner Harbor was redesigned. He said he read it in an article in a business journal.
I thought the tower would be at least a 717 ft. tall building. Is this information correct or misinformed? I sure was hoping that the tower would have perhaps grown rather than shrunk.
Thanks,

Steve
-------------------------------
His response:

"we are doing massing as we speak. the project is larger in FAR. we do not know yet the exact height. it will however be a very large building. thanks hal"

Well, how do you guys interpret this?
I think it sounds like they really don't know yet the final height. That they are just starting to assemble the whole parts of this large project as we speak. I wonder how this "business Journal" got their info?

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #1282
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

btw, I wonder what the FAR is for that parcel/lot?
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #1283
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

what is "FAR"? or am I just misinterrpreting him?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #1284
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Floor Area Ratio.

The Floor Area Ratio (FAR) or Floor Space Index (FSI) is the ratio of the total floor area of buildings on a certain location to the size of the land of that location.

As a formula: Floor Area Ratio = (Total covered area on all floors of all buildings on a certain plot)/(Area of the plot)

Thus, an FSI of 2.0 would indicate that the total floor area of a building is two times the gross area of the plot on which it is constructed

The Floor Area Ratio can be used in zoning to limit the amount that can be built in a certain area. For example, if the relevant zoning ordinance permits construction on a parcel, and construction must adhere to a .1 floor area ratio, then the total area of all floors in all buildings constructed on the parcel must be no more than one-tenth the area of the parcel itself.

A builder can plan for either a single-story building consuming the entire allowable area in one floor, or a multi-story building that rises higher above the plane of the land, but which must consequently result in a smaller footprint than would a single-story building of the same total floor area. By combining the horizontal and vertical limits into a single figure, some flexibility is permitted in building design, while achieving a hard limit on at least one measure of overall size. One advantage to fixing this parameter, as opposed to others such as height, width, or length, is that floor area correlates well with other considerations relevant to zoning regulation, such as total parking that would be required for an office building, total number of units that might be available for residential use, total load on municipal services, etc. The amounts of these things tend to be constant for a given total floor area, regardess of how that area is distributed horizontally and vertically.

The illustration above shows a Floor Area Ratio (FAR) of 1.0. This simply means that, if the area of the plot is 100 square meters, then 100 square meters of gross floor area has been built on the plot. The illustration above shows a 4-story building covering 1/4 of the site, giving a FAR of 1.0. Four floors of 25 square meters each are built on a site of 100 square meters.

The reference design for carfree cities is based on a FAR of 1.5. Here are some ways to get to a FAR of 1.5:

Build a 2-story building on 75% of the site (2 x 0.75 = 1.5)

Build a 3-story building on 50% of the site (3 x 0.5 = 1.5)

Build a 4-story building on 37.5% of the site (4 x 0.375 = 1.5)
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #1285
Javalady1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
what is "FAR"? or am I just misinterrpreting him?
simple google search:

FAR = floor area ratio
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #1286
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Lol thanks I understand though

So basically he is admitting that the building wont be any taller?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #1287
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

"the project is larger in FAR. we do not know yet the exact height. it will however be a very large building"

I interpret this to say that they really don't know the exact height of the tower yet, and, given the setbacks of the tower, if it was shorter AND larger in FAR, then it would be a bulkier building then before. That it something I thought wouldn't fly there on that land. I thought the zoning wanted "tall and slender/sleak, not shorter and bulkier.
I may not really truely understand the exact meaning of this, but, until the source of info that the "business Journal" is specified, I don't think the tower really has changed that much in height. I don't know.
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #1288
getontrac

How can the FAR of that building possibly change much?

Either way, any new building over 50 stories is significant for any American city, even NYC.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #1289
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

That is what I am trying to figure out, Nate.
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #1290
getontrac

Hey, here's something...

Could the FAR change significantly if the current plan for above ground parking goes below ground (in part or whole)?

That could really change height, or increase usable space to maintain the same height.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #1291
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

oh man....anticpation
southbalto no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #1292
BigBalto1

What is FAR?

Het I don't know if anyone has reported this but i was driving passed Harbor East and noticed a drilling rig sitting in the middle of the Four Seasons lot.
BigBalto1 no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #1293
BigBalto1

When you think about all the elements that make up this tower would push it pass 800ft, that's why I think that 300 East Pratt is going to raise about 700 feet. That may seem a little extravagant but given that small plot of land you would have to build very high to be able to fit all of the components, just my opinion. In Arc Wheeler’s case the whole purpose for this project was the create an elegant world class project and with all its elements it would just impossible to build without the necessary infrastructure. But usually developers don't release any stats until they are finish with the final design so don't get upset with any numbers in height until you hear it from the developers
BigBalto1 no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #1294
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

I noticed it to

Harbor East/Point, 10 Inner Harbor, Cordish Tower and maybe 300 East Pratt are going to be fun to watch get started over the next 12-18 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBalto1 View Post
What is FAR?

Het I don't know if anyone has reported this but i was driving passed Harbor East and noticed a drilling rig sitting in the middle of the Four Seasons lot.

Last edited by fanofterps; February 24th, 2007 at 11:40 PM.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #1295
tonyBmore
The rebirth of Bmore...

A little of topic, but local none the less...my wife just picked up my birthday cake from Charm City Cakes ( of Food Network's Ace of Cakes). They made a gigantic Natty Boh can!! It's so awesome I had to share it with you guys.
Also, while driving home down St. Pauls St. demolition crews were doing a number on the "Mercy Rowhomes". There was only maybe 21/2 left standing as of 1:30 today.
tonyBmore no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #1296
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Pratt Street Competition

The presentation boards from the Pratt Street Design Competition are up in the Convention Center. They are definitely worth checking out, but it is unfortunate because the BDC only put 4 of the 10 boards each team submitted up. I took some pictures to show....
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #1297
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Love to see them!
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1298
jpav

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyBmore View Post
A little of topic, but local none the less...my wife just picked up my birthday cake from Charm City Cakes ( of Food Network's Ace of Cakes). They made a gigantic Natty Boh can!! It's so awesome I had to share it with you guys.
Also, while driving home down St. Pauls St. demolition crews were doing a number on the "Mercy Rowhomes". There was only maybe 21/2 left standing as of 1:30 today.
Yea I rode by them today leaving my house and they aren't wasting any time tearing those babies down. I know someone who works at Mercy and they said as soon as they get the new garage built they are going to tear down the garage on Calvert St. Can't wait for that.
jpav no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1299
folsomfanatic

Pratt Presentation Photos---EDSA

Old February 24th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #1300
folsomfanatic

Pratt Street Design- EE&K

Closed Thread