daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 24th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #1301
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Pratt Street- Hargreaves/Design Collective

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #1302
folsomfanatic

Pratt Street- Ayers Saint Gross

Old February 24th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #1303
folsomfanatic

Pratt Street

This was all that they had at the convention center. I have PLENTY of EDSA material from our submission, but can't show that stuff until the BDC makes a selection!

ENJOY!
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1304
folsomfanatic

EDSA Pratt Proposal Outline

To help explain some of the EDSA plan-0---
Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
From last night, all teams looked at traffic. EDSA and Hargreaves both kept Pratt running eastbound. EEK and ASG proposed Two way. IMHO, 2 way doesn't fit on pratt or the side streets (which our traffic engineer).

Here is a breakdown of our plan. sorry we couldn't share sooner. i'll see if we can show graphics later:

EDSA broke Pratt Street into 4 districts:

University Gateway District (MLK to PACA)
Ballpark/Hotel District (PACA to HOWARD)
Civic/Convention District (HOWARD to CHARLES)
Retail/Entertainment District (CHARLES to PRESIDENT)

University Gateway District Highlights:
1. simple neighborhood scale gateway treatment at MLK and Pratt
2. exapnsion of UMD streetscape to all blocks
3. strategic neighborhood scale infill on vacant lots with restaurants/retail on first floor and residential above
4. expansion of babe ruth museum with new park along pratt highlighting the museum and ridgley's delight

Ballpark/Hotel District Highlights:
1. expand upon influence of CC hotel
2. new retail expansion off of the marriott's blank facade
3. infill building at eutaw and pratt (NE corner)
4. expanded outdoor cafes and plaza for ballgame/summertime use
5. START of the proposed HARBOR TRANSIT/BIKE LANE---a 15-19' lane to be used by local busses using Pratt Street nad bicyclists. sperated by a 14' landscape median. this feature will run all the way to the Columbus Center (13+ Blocks)

Civic/Convention District Highlights:
1. use additional ROW for raingardens and stormwater treatments. make pratt street a leading design for envirtonmental quality practices world wide
2. use green area to protect garmatz courthouse and remove the pyramidal bollards
3. create a signage and exhibit program to be used by the national aquarium to expand their pratt street presence (displays similar to those outside of the aquarium will be located throughout this district)
4. greenscreen treatment of the sloped walls at the convention center. create a new landsape around the CC to allow it to recede into the urban fabric
5. CONTINUE of the proposed HARBOR TRANSIT/BIKE LANE. convention center busses will have a drop lane off of this amenity
6. infill building at the B of A tower with a green roof. this building would be a "bookend" to the new lockwood place building further down Pratt

Retail/Entertainment District Highlights:
1. the EDSA team proposed a winter garden with two story retail wrapping the base of the legg mason tower. this would create year round "outdoor" space for residents, while allowing the tower to reconnect with Pratt and St. Paul Streets. This idea is REALLY cool.
2. KEEP the light street spur to Pratt. this connection cannot be "t'd" into Pratt. TOO MUCH traffic comes from conway to pratt and will only get worse with IHE expanding. we proposed to have 3 lans going east to pratt, with 3 north to calvert. we made that swing ramp a blvd. so that there is a pedestrian refuge for people crossing from the IH to Mckeldin plaza
3. Mckeldin Common- our team felt that this space needed to be an "oasis". there is too much paving there with little animation. a grand sweeping lawnspace focuses on a new art focal point (we're thinking a massive reflective sculpture similar to Milennium PArk in Chicago. the fountain would remain, but would be softened. vendor kiosks, a reading room, weather station and other fun amenities would animate this space year round. shade trees and lawn areas are provided for residents and CBD workers as an oasis to escape the heat and bustle of the city. the grand lawn also preserves and enhances the view and pedestrian connection that runs diagonally from the LM tower and the inner harbor,
4. Harbor Tranist Lane Continues
5. Pratt Place- the Team proposed a two lane local street running parallel to Pratt. this street would run between Charles and Gay Street and has the potential for WESTBOUND flow. this street would allow us to create off street parking for new retail opportunities, while pulling service, drop offs, taxi ques and more off of the main floe of pratt street traffic. this is a very DC approach (aka k Street). the new roadway would be seperated by a 14' landscape median. Pratt street in this section would be a grand boulevard with TWO landscape medians within it!
6. Retail infill along all buildings on the north side of the street. a 20' expansion would be accomodated to allow for new tennants to expand on the bottom floor of existing buildings.
7. a new bookend pvailion would be located on the greenspace east of the WTC. this 2/3 story building would frame a new plaza in front of the WTC building, the pavilion would compliment the pratt street pavilion with restaurants, retail and maybe residential uses?
8. sondheim plaza- this new plaza would reconnect the WTC with Pratt Street. a large fountain with sailboats and other amenities would be the space's focal pitn, with outdoor cafes and a tensile kiosk animating it. this space would be converted to an ice rink in the winter months. sondheim plaza is envisioned as baltimore's rockefeller center.
9. Jones Falls/Fallswalk- the team proposed terracing down to the jones falls, opening it up to the street and making it an interactie experiece similar to the riverfrot in providence. this would celebrate the jones falls' role in the city's history and would create a new space/oasis to be used by new downtown residents (michael graves tower, etc.)

Overall, all of the solutions were incredible, but here are my biggest concerns:

1. the swin ramps from Light to Pratt/Calvert is HUGE. removing it is a disaster for downtown traffic.
2. the two way blvd schemes shown yesterday do not fit in the existing street section. the road is pinched at the Wharf Rat and at PowerPlant/Lockwood. it was unclear how those solutions addressed thos issues
3. the City does not have billions to spend on these proposals. converting all roads to two way is expensive for resignaling and study. many streets are also too narrow!

We feel that the EDSA Team Plan created a viable and practical solution for the Pratt Street that enhanced the pedestrian experiece, created new and dynamic spaces, broke down the ovverpowering character of Pratt street into a grand boulevard, provided a transit and bike lane that would be a tremendous amenity for the downtown, and most importantly created a vision plan that isfeasiible, implementable immediately, exciting and frsh and most importantly, grounded in study with a well balanced team of local expertise.

THANKS for reading!!!!! no matter what, baltimore is going to be a BIG winner at the end of the day. all of the proposals had their strengths and weaknesses and it will be interesting to see how the BDC decides!!!!! Thanks to those that also came last night, it was a great turnout!
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1305
folsomfanatic

EDSA Pratt Proposal Outline

disregard
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #1306
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Folsom, only the EE&K proposal is showing up for me. Perhaps, it is just my computer. Anyhow, it looks great. Thanks for posting.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1307
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Yeah, the EE&K is the only one showing up for me as well.

Mercy pictures and story are up on home page of baltimoresun.com.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1308
folsomfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Folsom, only the EE&K proposal is showing up for me. Perhaps, it is just my computer. Anyhow, it looks great. Thanks for posting.

hmm...

my computer bugged out while posting them and i couldn't see them either, but when i went back a page and then came back they were there. They wouldn't come up if i tried to refresh the page....
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1309
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

from the sun
Mercy Homes
southbalto no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #1310
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

I'm sure it will be untold months until the new Mercy garage is done, so we'll have to sit with a vacant lot until then. Why it wasn't timed more closely, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was to ensure there was no way to save the houses if they waited.

Nate

edit: still no architectural renderings?....for $292 million, this thing better look good!

Last edited by getontrac; February 24th, 2007 at 11:53 PM.
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1311
folsomfanatic

Web Site Links

My Pratt Street Photos from the Convention Center (for those that can't see them in the posts). Feel free to repost them into a new post (seems like my computer isn't working for eevryone to see the images!)

Ayers Saint Gross Plan:
http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/20...post_1984.html

Hargreaves Plan:
http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/20...post_8350.html

EE&K plan:
http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/20...post_5000.html

EDSA Plan:
http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/20...g-post_24.html

Last edited by folsomfanatic; February 24th, 2007 at 11:54 PM.
folsomfanatic no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #1312
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post

I like this proposal a lot.
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #1313
PeterSmith

Now they are showing up, folsom. They all look really good. From the renderings, however, I think I like EDSA's ideas the best. I really like the little thing built around the Legg Mason tower.
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #1314
PeterSmith

folsom, what is that white sphere in the first rendering of EDSA's proposal?
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #1315
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Old February 25th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #1316
folsomfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
folsom, what is that white sphere in the first rendering of EDSA's proposal?

It's a signature art piece. we envisioned it to be the "Baltimore Renaissance Ball". It would be reflective and would be a focal point from the harbor and downtown too. it would offer commanding views, similar to the "cloud sculpture" in millenium park in chicago.

Here's a sample:

Old February 25th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #1317
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Old February 25th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #1318
PeterSmith

I saw that one of the teams proposed a traffic circle at the intersection of MLK and Pratt. What are some of the other teams doing to minimize the impact of MLK as a barrier between downtown to the east and the area to the west of MLK?
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1319
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

this one is really nice.

Old February 25th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1320
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBalto1 View Post
What is FAR?

Het I don't know if anyone has reported this but i was driving passed Harbor East and noticed a drilling rig sitting in the middle of the Four Seasons lot.
Yesterday afternoon all of the parking meters around the site had no parking "bags" over them. Maybe they starting site preparations?

Closed Thread