daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #1321
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #1322
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

I love the mirror ball.
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #1323
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I really love what the EDSA team did around Legg as well. I'd love to see that happen. It would be huge for that area.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #1324
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

I agree.
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #1325
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

I like EDSA as well, does it include one of the bigscreens? Also where is the Eveving Hub to be located on the Hargreaves proposal?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #1326
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
I like EDSA as well, does it include one of the bigscreens? Also where is the Eveving Hub to be located on the Hargreaves proposal?
they had the evening hub in mckeldin plaza (triangular plaza between light, pratt and calvert.

The EDSA plan had small LED screens in the civic/convention district that could be uses as info kiosks, educational displays, etc. there's some flexibility to have the LED screen in the new sondheim plaza that's proposed north of the WTC.

glad you guys like the plans!
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #1327
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

It's never easy, even when you try to do the right thing.

Knowing I am moving and changing ISP in a week, I updated my e-mail at SSP. I was told I would get an e-mail sent to me and then SSP promptly locked my out of my account. The e-mail never arrived. I notified Jan, the administrator, and have heard nothing from him in two days. So wada_guy is no more. I re-registered. Now they will probably ban me for breaking a rule or something like they did scottandamanda at SSPage. Regardless, I am once again Mr. one post.

Today's Good News:

The Howard Street arches are history!

Victors is about the bite the dust. All the parking meters are covered on the road in front of it.

They are drilling on the Four Season's/Legg Mason parking lot.

The first Johns Hopkins Hospital crane is rising. It is white.

The 3rd Hilton crane is taking forever to go up.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; February 25th, 2007 at 05:26 AM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #1328
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

How can SSC get upset about SSP? I guess I'm not familiar with all these strange rules.

It'll be fun to watch the LM/4S foundation....that'll take a long time.

Is this the Orleans St facility at Hopkins you're talking about?

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #1329
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Now they are showing up, folsom. They all look really good. From the renderings, however, I think I like EDSA's ideas the best. I really like the little thing built around the Legg Mason tower.
yeah, i like EDSA's proposal as well; very detailed. this one definitely has my vote over the other 3 with no problem. three thumbs up!!

--i love the pavilion surrounding the current legg mason building. that addition should look really help in attracting a future tennant for 100 east pratt street.

--i love the signature art piece.

--i love the designs of the sidewalks and the streets.

--i love the look of that new glass pavilion between the WTC and the Power Plant.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #1330
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Great points! I agree 100% as well.
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #1331
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
It's never easy, even when you try to do the right thing.

Knowing I am moving and changing ISP in a week, I updated my e-mail at SSP. I was told I would get an e-mail sent to me and then SSP promptly locked my out of my account. The e-mail never arrived. I notified Jan, the administrator, and have heard nothing from him in two days. So wada_guy is no more. I re-registered. Now they will probably ban me for breaking a rule or something like they did scottandamanda at SSPage. Regardless, I am once again Mr. one post.

Today's Good News:

The Howard Street arches are history!

Victors is about the bite the dust. All the parking meters are covered on the road in front of it.

They are drilling on the Four Season's/Legg Mason parking lot.

The first Johns Hopkins Hospital crane is rising. It is white.

The 3rd Hilton crane is taking forever to go up.
Well, you may not be "wada guy" anymore and may not have all those posts, but we all know better!

Besides, I've gotten use to your, "30 floors up", nick from over at ssp.
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #1332
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

between the WTC and pratt street, there's a body of water. what's that all about? it looks like a swimming pool or something; maybe even an ice rink perhaps. it's kinda' hard to make out what it is.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; February 25th, 2007 at 07:03 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #1333
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
between the WTC and pratt street, there's a body of water. what's that all about? it looks like a swimming pool or something; maybe even an ice rink perhaps. it's kinda' hard to make out what it is.
it's an interactive childrens fountain with model boats/sailboats in warmer months and an ice rink in winter months. the idea was to make this the "rockefeller center" of baltimore, giving the WTC a better street presence on Pratt, while enhancing the harbor promenade experience too. the fountain would be terraced down a few feet, creating a ton of seating opportunities. outdoor cafes would be on the edges and the east end is framed by a new mixed-use pavilion.
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #1334
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
it's an interactive childrens fountain with model boats/sailboats in warmer months and an ice rink in winter months. the idea was to make this the "rockefeller center" of baltimore, giving the WTC a better street presence on Pratt, while enhancing the harbor promenade experience too. the fountain would be terraced down a few feet, creating a ton of seating opportunities. outdoor cafes would be on the edges and the east end is framed by a new mixed-use pavilion.
I think this is one of the better ideas proposed. I hate the proposal for traffic flowing in opposite directions on Pratt St. For an example of how that idea fails on a major city road, consider Charles St from University Parkway to 29th Street. It is an absolute mess, and was even worse when the commuter lane was open with opposing traffic. Thank god the city got rid of that. I am mixed on the winter garden at the Legg Mason building. I personally would not wrap the entire foot of the building in glass, but would go for a much simpler, cleaner design on the parts of the building that front Light and Pratt Sts. I think it would be cool to have a cubic glass structure there, with exposed cable supports (as in a suspension bridge) that incorporates the existing plaza, while making it more of a year-round, public space. Why not create an enclosed glass stairway that leads to the building on Pratt and Light Sts, that can double as performance space (e.g., for concerts) while permitting restaurants and other vendors to occupy kiosks around it? I know I am not describing this well, but will try to do so later. Basically, I think the virtue of the Legg Mason building is that it is simple; it didn't attempt one of those horrid 70s designs that a lot of cities got for skyscrapers. The exterior emphasizes local stone, elegantly laid out. Why create a lot of curved glass designs with busy visual effects when that is completely antithetical to the architectural principle of the building? It will look like a glass mall surrounding an obelisk.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #1335
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Developer wants to build two hotels on east side
Baltimore Business Journal - February 23, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

Nicholas Griner | Staff
The former Furncraft building.
View Larger
An Odenton construction company is planning to build a pair of hotels on Baltimore's east side, tentatively slated to replace the former Hillen Tire and Furncraft Furniture Co. stores on Front Street.

Pioneer Contracting Co., which is also working with the Baltimore Development Corp. on another hotel project in downtown Baltimore, hopes to build a Cambria Suites and a Sleep Inn & Suites at the site if it can get city approval to move forward with the project, a company official said.

Old February 25th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1336
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Man, I can't wait until this project gets going.
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #1337
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

I really hope some of the old Central Business

District residential/hotel projects get going(Citiscape, Cordish Tower, 300 East Pratt, Naing, Mechanic Theater, Community Colege,etc..) since it seems all new office construction is moving to Canton, Locust Point and Harbor East/Point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Man, I can't wait until this project gets going.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1338
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

and the above "superblock".
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1339
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Are there any renderings of the Chera Group's proposal for the Superblock? If so, could someone please post them.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #1340
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah, really....!

If there's any tax breaks involved, I demand to see what were getting!!!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  

Closed Thread