daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 21st, 2007, 09:26 PM   #121
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

. That's alot of yesses Steven.
bmore87 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:02 PM   #122
Javalady1

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks!

Thanks Huck and Steven and hello to all!

Well, I never heard of 34A Key Highway until the other day when I was reading some of the other threads. This property interests me because I like its design and I live nearby. I emailed for an update, but there is no new news. Still on hold until whenever.

I think that when the Pier Homes and Ritz are completed, Key Highway will take on a special feeling, but I am sad that I can no longer see the water when I travel to and from work. It's like there is a big wall there now. And don't get me started on the road delays due to construction.

The townhomes (Patriot) being built on Key Highway are making significant progress. The first row of 13 homes is standing in their entirety and now needs the exterior and the build out. They look nice. And although they are the same height as many other homes in the area, they look very tall because they are on a hill. This is across the street from 34A should it ever get built.

Talk to you soon!

Last edited by Javalady1; January 21st, 2007 at 10:14 PM.
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM   #123
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Look forward to it.
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:17 PM   #124
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
The Canton RR is owned by the state.
Since when? It's a small company based in East Baltimore since the early 1900's. It's a for-profit company that receives no support/subsidies from the state.

There was an article in The Sun a few months ago about the Canton RR. I think they just celebrated their 100th anniversary.
Eerik no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:52 PM   #125
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I'd like to see the Hilton and Zenith both have bars/restaurants at street level. It could create a real special atmosphere for O's games, especially if they get good sometime soon!!
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:44 AM   #126
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Charm City looks absolutely stunning in the snow. Spent the day at Enoch Pratt and photographed Mt. Vernon blanketed in the white stuff. I dare anyone to find a more beautiful city portrait than the Washington Monument, flanked by Peabody, with the faint golden glow of the Bank of America building hiding in the background.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:00 AM   #127
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javalady1 View Post
Thanks Huck and Steven and hello to all!

Well, I never heard of 34A Key Highway until the other day when I was reading some of the other threads. This property interests me because I like its design and I live nearby. I emailed for an update, but there is no new news. Still on hold until whenever.

I think that when the Pier Homes and Ritz are completed, Key Highway will take on a special feeling, but I am sad that I can no longer see the water when I travel to and from work. It's like there is a big wall there now. And don't get me started on the road delays due to construction.

The townhomes (Patriot) being built on Key Highway are making significant progress. The first row of 13 homes is standing in their entirety and now needs the exterior and the build out. They look nice. And although they are the same height as many other homes in the area, they look very tall because they are on a hill. This is across the street from 34A should it ever get built.

Talk to you soon!
Hey Javalady1!!! Welcome aboard!!!

The 34A Key Highway project is pretty much a done deal. The exact spot where the patriot homes will be now is where 34A was supposed to go.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:06 AM   #128
Javalady1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
Hey Javalady1!!! Welcome aboard!!!

The 34A Key Highway project is pretty much a done deal. The exact spot where the patriot homes will be now is where 34A was supposed to go.
Hi Mason. Okay, thanks for the update. I just thought 34A was across the street because when Jen from Peter Fillat responded to my inquiry, she failed to mention the Patriot homes project, and there is space on the opposing corner. Oh well.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:17 AM   #129
jpav

Whats up everyone I write to you from Miami. You should see all the buildings going up here, there must 20+ cranes around the skyline. Anyway I'm seeing all these open air markets down here and thinking why don't we have this. Does anyone know if the Harbor East/Harbor Point plans call for any open air markets. I think that would be great.
jpav no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:35 AM   #130
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

The townhomes being built by patriot homes are a real travesty in federal hill. they are the same size as the townhomes on the water, but tower over their neighbors on gittings street and henry street. they are 5 stories tall, whil all home around them are 2 stories. the top roof deck penthouse is aligned with the fourth floor on the eastern edge, making these townhomes look as though they are towering over covington street.

the towns are so tall that they have blocked the view of the domino sign from most of the homes off of riverside avenue too.

i'm all for height, but i'd have rather had a mult-level, high end condo building there instead of overblown townhomes....which have a million dollar price tag. NONE of them have been sold yet. i am hoping that the detail of these towns comes out because i am not impressed yet. they just seem out of character for their location off of the water.

just an opinion though.....

in comparison to the pier homes on the water, they really seem 2nd rate!

http://www.lennar.com/findhome/commu...2&DIVID=PATPAT
Old January 22nd, 2007, 02:26 AM   #131
rxsoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpav View Post
Whats up everyone I write to you from Miami. You should see all the buildings going up here, there must 20+ cranes around the skyline. Anyway I'm seeing all these open air markets down here and thinking why don't we have this. Does anyone know if the Harbor East/Harbor Point plans call for any open air markets. I think that would be great.

We do have the farmers market under the JFX underpass which runs every sunday morning from late spring til the fall every year. As for the Harbor East, there was that area on the promo map in Harbor Point called "Market" that some people were speculating on a few pages back. Doesn't appear that anybody knows what that is actually planned to be though yet.

Although come to think of it, wouldn't a nice atrium upscale farmers market type place fit in well there? Open air would be tough because of the weather but what about a high-ceiling glass roof market to make you feel like you're outdoors? A neighborhood market kind of like Cross St market, but one that would cater to the clientelle of IHE would be pretty cool I think. Might not be too good for Whole Foods though...
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:05 AM   #132
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

I think a lot of it has to do with zoning. NYC is much more generous than most cities accommodating outdoor seating/vending operations. The West Side, ideally, could be teeming with produce stores, crafts vendors, etc, extending from Lexington Market down Eutaw St. and across Lexington St., incorporating outdoor displays. Lexington market's renovation did help extend the shopping experience to the street, but more could be done. Perhaps Center Plaza will invite merchants to be a little more creative with outdooor space.

BTW, is that Indian Restaurant still at Lexington Market?
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:19 AM   #133
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Welcome Javalady, I was new a short while ago too. I think you will find the posters here very friendly and full of great information.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:45 AM   #134
jpreston02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javalady1 View Post
Hi Mason. Okay, thanks for the update. I just thought 34A was across the street because when Jen from Peter Fillat responded to my inquiry, she failed to mention the Patriot homes project, and there is space on the opposing corner. Oh well.

34A is across the street, on the gas station property. The Patriot project did not impact 34A at all. However 34A met with significant resistance from the community because of just how out of scale it was from the rest of the neighborhood.

As a resident of Locust Point, I am in favor of the revitilization of Key Highway; however I understood the concerns on that particular project. Hopefully once the new urban renewal plan is passed into law we can look forward to a complete overhaul of Key Highwyay with maybe even some tall slender towers.
jpreston02 no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:55 AM   #135
Javalady1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreston02 View Post
34A is across the street, on the gas station property. The Patriot project did not impact 34A at all. However 34A met with significant resistance from the community because of just how out of scale it was from the rest of the neighborhood.

As a resident of Locust Point, I am in favor of the revitilization of Key Highway; however I understood the concerns on that particular project. Hopefully once the new urban renewal plan is passed into law we can look forward to a complete overhaul of Key Highwyay with maybe even some tall slender towers.
Okay, well either way, 34A is not being built.

I'm sure there was resistance from the community. However, I live in this in community and I never heard of this building until I found it in another thread late last week.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:26 AM   #136
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
Although come to think of it, wouldn't a nice atrium upscale farmers market type place fit in well there? Open air would be tough because of the weather but what about a high-ceiling glass roof market to make you feel like you're outdoors? A neighborhood market kind of like Cross St market, but one that would cater to the clientelle of IHE would be pretty cool I think. Might not be too good for Whole Foods though...
It would be good for the city to use the existing markets like this. They all have enough vacant space to make a small farmer's area for local produce. In Towson, they close off a block of Allegany Avenue on Thursday from spring to fall for farmers. This has been going on for many years and appears to be a success.
scando no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:31 AM   #137
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
Charm City looks absolutely stunning in the snow. Spent the day at Enoch Pratt and photographed Mt. Vernon blanketed in the white stuff. I dare anyone to find a more beautiful city portrait than the Washington Monument, flanked by Peabody, with the faint golden glow of the Bank of America building hiding in the background.
I have always loved Mt Vernon in the snow. It's 19th century ambiance seems to go well with the climate of a pre-greenhouse climate. My office looks down on the roofs of the area, which are a jumble of chimneys, steeples and roof lines. The steely gray winter sky and snowy roofs looks downright Dickensian.
scando no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:38 AM   #138
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpav View Post
Anyway I'm seeing all these open air markets down here and thinking why don't we have this. Does anyone know if the Harbor East/Harbor Point plans call for any open air markets. I think that would be great.
I wish that we had more of all sorts of street vendors. One of the things I love about walking around in New York is all of the people selling anything from bags of socks, calzones, cheap art, ties, hot dogs, belts, whatever from carts. It makes the pedestrian environment more appealing and enlivens the street.
scando no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:17 AM   #139
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik View Post
Since when? It's a small company based in East Baltimore since the early 1900's. It's a for-profit company that receives no support/subsidies from the state.

There was an article in The Sun a few months ago about the Canton RR. I think they just celebrated their 100th anniversary.
Actually from the very article you cited http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ome-columnists The Canton RR has been wholy owned by the Maryland Transportation Authority since 1987. However you are correct they are for-profit and receive no state money.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:35 AM   #140
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

Hale near deal to build community in Sparrows Pt.

Baltimore's Hale Properties LLC is close to a deal to build a residential community on land owned by the Sparrows Point Country Club in exchange for an undisclosed amount of money the club would use for renovations.

"We have been speaking with Hale Properties and we are in a tentative agreement," Sparrows Point General Manager David Ditzel said.
Balmurfan no está en línea  

Closed Thread