daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 27th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #1381
HAudidoody

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
I doubt those are the reasons. The fact that Johns Hopkins is the most efficient institution in the United States would qualify it to be the largest beneficiary to federal funding. Unlike those other research institutions JHU is located in many states including DC and many countries around the globe, so it makes sense that the world's most trusted research and medical institution would rank so high every year.

BTW, Welcome home Wada Guy!!
It's definitely a huge part of it. APL and the Medical School especially.
HAudidoody no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #1382
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post
From the BBJ:

Brodie: Mechanic 'obsolescence' could mean demolishment for theater

BDC President M.J. "Jay" Brodie said that, based on recent meetings with the new owners of the Mechanic Theatre property, he expects sentimentality will be set aside and the building will be demolished to make way for a bigger, taller mixed-use project.

"In terms of economic development, nostalgia does not serve the city very well," he said. "Obsolescence really produces a new opportunity."

Interesting... I haven't heard word of the Mechanic being demolished before. Just plans for the developers to try to incorporate retail inside the existing space. I wonder how tall this new project could end up being?
Demolishing the Mechanic would be very expensive due to all the reinforced concrete. I think that plans are to keep the building, have retail on the first floor including a large store facing the plaza and having a residential tower on the corner of Charles and Baltimore.
urbane no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #1383
urbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
My Pratt Street Photos from the Convention Center (for those that can't see them in the posts). Feel free to repost them into a new post (seems like my computer isn't working for eevryone to see the images!)

Ayers Saint Gross Plan:
http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/20...post_1984.html

Hargreaves Plan:
http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/20...post_8350.html

EE&K plan:
http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/20...post_5000.html

EDSA Plan:
http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/20...g-post_24.html
Thanks. I attended the presentations last week and there were lots of interesting ideas. The Hargreaves- Design Collective presentation is the only one that disappointed me: they were far too vague, had done little to no site analysis, the presenters were contradicting each other, and had some wacky ideas like that artificial marsh they want to put where McKelding Square is.
urbane no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #1384
tonyBmore
The rebirth of Bmore...

Likes (Received): 0

Back to the Natty Boh cake really quick...I've definitely had better, but it was actually pretty good for a 3 1/2 foot tall cake. My wife said she paid $315.00 dollars for it. I wish I knew how to post pictures. All the hometown folks at my party couldn't get over how great it looked.
On the development front, I hope to see my GBC friend this weekend. I will assuredly ask him about the 14,000 seat arena proposal I mentioned a couple weeks ago. I will pass along the sentiments shared on this board.
tonyBmore no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #1385
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalWash View Post
Right...location has nothing to do with it.
How are you quantifying efficiency btw? Wouldn't the fact that its located in countries besides the US dissuade the federal government from giving them money?
Well saying that JHU set standards that nearly every institution in the world follow must not also be a major reason, right? Efficiency is producing the best engineers, professors, doctors, and scientists at a faster and better rate than other high institutions. I admit, JHU is in the best location strategically speaking, but to say that the federal institutions you listed are the sole factors of Hopkins' financial success is a bit one sided.

Now I may have took your post the wrong way, but it sounded as if you wanted some mention of the DC area as the driving force in making Hopkins what it is. If not please let me know because I have a habit of putting words in people's mouths. I will say that the fact that there are facilities outside of the U.S. makes the feds want to give more imo. I feel this way because as an American institution the gov't wouldn't think about limiting funding especially since we are competing with institutions in Japan, India, and the UK just to name a few.

Last time I heard, we still offer study abroad academia.
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #1386
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

He's definitely trying to say its because of DC... man.. he sure does love DC. As much as I hate the place I'll give him that much, he's dedicated.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #1387
waj0527

Likes (Received): 483

I was driving by the new Hilton and noticed that a Finn and Porter will be housed there. It really seems like Baltimore is starting to improve its resturant offerings. There are just certain resturants that you expect to see in cities. Baltimore is finally getting what it deserves.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #1388
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA

Quote:
I admit, JHU is in the best location strategically speaking, but to say that the federal institutions you listed are the sole factors of Hopkins' financial success is a bit one sided.
Where did I say the Federal Government was the sole factor behind Hopkins' financial and academic success? Undoubtedly, other factors have been a significantly larger influence on Hopkins' success than the Federal Government ever has been.

Quote:
Now I may have took your post the wrong way, but it sounded as if you wanted some mention of the DC area as the driving force in making Hopkins what it is.
I wanted to point out that Baltimore and its institutions do benefit from their special relationship with DC, which no other city has (other than DC itself). Some have said Baltimore is only hurt by its proximity to DC, I just wanted to give evidence that it does benefit. That's not to say DC comes anywhere near driving Baltimore, I just wanted to point out that the relationship is symbiotic.

Quote:
Well saying that JHU set standards that nearly every institution in the world follow must not also be a major reason, right? Efficiency is producing the best engineers, professors, doctors, and scientists at a faster and better rate than other high institutions.
I have no idea where you're getting that JHU produces the best engineers, professors, doctors and scientists at a better rate than every other academic institution. Surely they're in an elite crowd, but its still a crowd.

Last edited by BalWash; February 27th, 2007 at 05:02 AM.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #1389
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

The Vote is In!!!

Baltimore has officially joined the ranks of civilized cities and has outlawed smoking in bars!!!
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #1390
scando

Likes (Received): 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Is the old McCormick site built on fill?

Welcome back to the old line state wada
All of the flat land around the harbor is some degree of infill. It was originally marshy muck. On the north side of the harbor, the water originally came up to (where else) Water Street. When the Ravens stadium was built, excavators came up with 40,000 year old cypress logs that were preserved in the acidic muck.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #1391
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
Demolishing the Mechanic would be very expensive due to all the reinforced concrete. I think that plans are to keep the building, have retail on the first floor including a large store facing the plaza and having a residential tower on the corner of Charles and Baltimore.
It would be intense, but it's already half done now. The interior of the building was all poured concrete too and they got that out already. All of what was the seating areas, balconies, etc was brought out, one dumpster at a time.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #1392
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
It would be intense, but it's already half done now. The interior of the building was all poured concrete too and they got that out already. All of what was the seating areas, balconies, etc was brought out, one dumpster at a time.

I have a source @ Brown, and they haven't decided what they are doing with it yet, although they are probably leaning towards a hotel. Would be a nice bookend w/ the metro center. BTW they are most likely putting a couple hotels there...an extended stay type and regular. Should work out really well. Not only will it service some of the businesses out there, it will give people a cheap way to stay in b'more for the weekend....stay up there and take the metro in. There's definitely a market for that.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #1393
urbane

I heard that it's going to be residential (1bedroom or efficiency).
urbane no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #1394
urbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Yes, I passed in front of it several times in the last few weeks and they have definitely been doing work on the inside. I think they have gotten rid of asbestos as well. I assume that demolishing the whole building, however, would be far more expensive than re-doing the interiors.
urbane no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #1395

Likes (Received): 0

2 things

1) JHU's success has to do with 2 things. First, they are a world-class institution and they have been on the frontier of almost every advancement in scientific/medical research. Second, they are in close proximity of many government institutions with which they have a long history of working closely. Each of these elements are reflected in the other. Both of these elements reciprocate. Balwash may say ying, others say yang, but when it comes down to it, Ying Yang Twins make some crazy songs... wait, what was I saying?

2) No smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
21230 no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #1396
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21230 View Post
1) JHU's success has to do with 2 things. First, they are a world-class institution and they have been on the frontier of almost every advancement in scientific/medical research. Second, they are in close proximity of many government institutions with which they have a long history of working closely. Each of these elements are reflected in the other. Both of these elements reciprocate. Balwash may say ying, others say yang, but when it comes down to it, Ying Yang Twins make some crazy songs... wait, what was I saying?

2) No smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great Post
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #1397
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
I have a source @ Brown, and they haven't decided what they are doing with it yet, although they are probably leaning towards a hotel. Would be a nice bookend w/ the metro center. BTW they are most likely putting a couple hotels there...an extended stay type and regular. Should work out really well. Not only will it service some of the businesses out there, it will give people a cheap way to stay in b'more for the weekend....stay up there and take the metro in. There's definitely a market for that.
I assume that would mean that the rest of the building would return to dust. I hope that's true. It is an ugly thing.
scando no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #1398
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

Thanks all. It is good to be "home" again. They say that when you move from Baltimore it is just a matter of time before you move back.

Two of the three four legged feet warmers will be making the move. Mercedes is so old that I got the new owners to take her. I told them she came with the house and then I gave them the rugs drapes throughout the place in gratitude. She becomes their pet on March 16th.

Occupancy for the lower floors of 414 Water will start in the summer. I should be able to move in sometime during October.
~~~~~

I don't know, but I sort of like the Mechanic. It grows on you over time. It is not a building that I would put up a fight up to save though.
~~~~~

Thank god the smoking ban passed. It won't hurt business one bit. California and New York's experience has shot that argument down completely. I am assuming that the smoking ban will now go statewide. The papers seem to think it will since all the counties that now have it will be pushing hard for that to happen so they aren't "disadvantaged".
~~~~~

The BBJ article about 10 IH said that the structure would be 650 feet high. But like StevenW said over at SSPage, how do they know? According to the e-mail Arc Wheeler sent him they haven’t agreed on a height and they are doing the massing of the structure now. I don’t know enough about engineering to know if there is a large price difference between constructing a 717-foot building vs. a 650-foot building. I do know that there are thresholds where construction costs increase significantly due to factors such as wind, stress, and weight. I wonder if they have changed architects. 10 IH never did show up on Stern’s web site.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; February 27th, 2007 at 02:00 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #1399
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
The Vote is In!!!

Baltimore has officially joined the ranks of civilized cities and has outlawed smoking in bars!!!
I feel like I won the lottery!!! I am no longer a prisoner in my own neighborhood and can actually take my 16 month old son to a sobo bar for dinner with friends and not be hurting him. Absolute freedom for me. I am so happy about this. Its better than a tax break.
Hood no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #1400
waj0527

Likes (Received): 483

The smoking ban takes effect 1/1/08, right?
waj0527 no está en línea  

Closed Thread