daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 28th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #1421
rxsoccer

Likes (Received): 0

I think the key component to that story is that when you look at the Baltimore region as a whole, we are very comparable to a lot of other great cities. Baltimore city stats are not as favorable, but the reality is, very few large cities have favorable stats for issues like public schools. I'm not sure how every city in those rankings work but I do know that in many of them the major city is always grouped in with the larger county. When LA is mentioned in reports, its always referring to the LA area (ie. county) which literally covers an area large enough to encompass both DC and Baltimore. Imagine if Baltimore was grouped into stats with DC and everything in-between???? Plus, places like san diego have their struggling areas like national city but those are offset by being grouped with la jolla.

I guess my main point is that the inferiority complex seen among baltimore residents has a lot to do with the lack of affiliation to the greater region. Baltimore county has nothing to do with us and has been able to successfully keeps its distance, so the city is essentially an isolated island in the region in terms of tax base and stats. So all of the problems of an urban environment are exposed unlike in many other major cities that can hide behind the county stats.
rxsoccer no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #1422
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post

Now these images from the Hilton site make the hotel look like a real building and not a prison.

What is that green area on the roof of the east portion of the hotel a football field?
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #1423
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

The inferior complex stems from lack of national exposure. Being located 40 miles from the capital of the world will cause this. Being so close to Philly doesn't help either.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #1424
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
The inferior complex stems from lack of national exposure. Being located 40 miles from the capital of the world will cause this. Being so close to Philly doesn't help either.
You guys are actually closer than that! From city limits to city limits it's only 27 miles! Beltway to Beltway is less than 20.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #1425
Hugh Jaramillo

Examiner Editorial

Is he talking about the same city that I live in? What about the homicide rate which is the highest in the nation, the worst public school system in the state, the highest tax rate in the state, the worst public transportation system of any city its size, the highest unemployment rate in the state, and the highest poverty rate in the state. One only need go a few miles from the harbor to see that things are not as rosey as this editorial would make it seem. I do think that Baltimore has come a long way in the last decade, but there are still a lot of problems that need to be addressed, which this editorial doesn't even begin to hint at. Talk about sugar coating the numbers. This is pure treacle!
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1426
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

I think he is talking about attitudes and how people dwell on the negative instead of seeing the positives. We all know that EVERY city has problems that need to be addressed.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1427
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

^UHH, I dont know if its 'pure treacle' (wtf is treacle LOL), but I can agree with parts of the above email. My thing is again, it speaks to the region. The region contains HoCo which contains Columbia which IIRC was voted as one of the 10 best places to live in the country. Exactly how far is Columbia from Bmore???

Anyway I think this opens up an interesting discussion as to how the City got totally cutoff from the surrounding suburbs. There are literally people who HATE the City who only reside 10 miles away. many of these folks grew up in the City, lived to see it detoriate, got the hell out of dodge and the rest is history.

I don't agree at all with that line of thinking, but I can at least kinda sorta maybe follow it.

Even with all the mentioned development that we follow on this site, the majority of it is in what we consider 'downtown'. The problem with spouting off how booming the City is because of the development downtown is that MOST OF THE CITY AINT DOWNTOWN. Neighborhoods are still crumbling, gangs are getting stronger, I have no idea what to make of this 70 million for schools (God I hope they dont waste it and it just disappears) .

My point is, in SOME ASPECTS is City (again the City not 'the region')the flourishing. Absoutely positively. Can't deny it and in many ways we are doing historically good things.

The flip side is my town is still hurting badly in far far too many areas. Its basically propaganda for a writer to write how great we are doing as a 'region' when the City I live eat breathe and sleep is struggling to hang on.....
cgunna no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #1428
BalWash
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
Examiner Editorial

Is he talking about the same city that I live in? What about the homicide rate which is the highest in the nation, the worst public school system in the state, the highest tax rate in the state, the worst public transportation system of any city its size, the highest unemployment rate in the state, and the highest poverty rate in the state. One only need go a few miles from the harbor to see that things are not as rosey as this editorial would make it seem. I do think that Baltimore has come a long way in the last decade, but there are still a lot of problems that need to be addressed, which this editorial doesn't even begin to hint at. Talk about sugar coating the numbers. This is pure treacle!
When you're talking about the 2nd richest state in the country (soon to be 1st) and one of the nation's best school systems, its easy to see why Baltimore could rank so lowly amongst other state jurisdictions. Optimism and a good attitude are things Baltimore could definitely use and definitely deserves.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #1429
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

I found another rendering of the Hilton.

Old February 28th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1430
Brian21

That area is going to look good within the next year or so. Great gateway into the city.
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1431
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
Examiner Editorial

Hugh,

We DO NOT have the worst public transportation for a city our size. That belongs to Detroit. The MTA may be the worst agency, but a few other city's could contend. One could reasonably rationalize that relative to the size of the city, LA's system is worse than ours.

Comparing our schools to the rest of the state is a bit unfair as well, when Balto. is the only large city in the state, it's bound to fare unfavourably.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #1432
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

The Hilton Photos

I was noticing two differences between the two photos of the Hilton. The one Steve posted showed a more open glass base to the structure. Huck's showed the usual tired old brick facade. Which is it?
Gsol no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:00 AM   #1433
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Probably Huck's rendering is correct.
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:16 AM   #1434
getontrac

Great rendering above there, but boy, what a waste of space and underdevelopment of that site?

Was it designed so that incremental construction can be added?

Nate

Edit: they found time to add a completed Zenith, but neglected to include the already operating hotel on Washington Blvd and Greene!
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:22 AM   #1435
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

I know. I so wish the Believe Team's proposal would have won. There would have been a state-of-the-art larger arena there.
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:40 AM   #1436
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Great rendering above there, but boy, what a waste of space and underdevelopment of that site?

Was it designed so that incremental construction can be added?

Nate

Edit: they found time to add a completed Zenith, but neglected to include the already operating hotel on Washington Blvd and Greene!
the hilton has space "reserved" should the billions of dollars necessary to implement the MGALEV be found. they've kept the corner along Howard Street open for this use. they also knocked the highet and uses of the component along howard street way back (this used to be a pretty significant tower initially).

it's be sweet to have maglev, but it sounds way too off in the future to ever even consider!
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:45 AM   #1437
BalWash
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
the hilton has space "reserved" should the billions of dollars necessary to implement the MGALEV be found. they've kept the corner along Howard Street open for this use. they also knocked the highet and uses of the component along howard street way back (this used to be a pretty significant tower initially).

it's be sweet to have maglev, but it sounds way too off in the future to ever even consider!
It's actually been in the works for 10 years already. The ability of technology and the need are only increasing.

Again, here's a link: http://www.bwmaglev.com/about/p_overview.htm
BalWash no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:50 AM   #1438
getontrac

^That issue's a whole nuther can of worms....

First, let's fund the CSX freight bypass.... and then later convert the HST to MARC (and maybe CLR).....

At least it sounds as if they were planning ahead (for once).

Nate
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:23 AM   #1439
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

This was posted a while back. I just wanted to re-post for the people who never saw it.

Thanks for the link BalWash!
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:28 AM   #1440
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

imagine...

Closed Thread