daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 1st, 2007, 01:30 AM   #1441
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

bmore87, that is so funny.
We both posted the same thing within seconds of each other.

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:42 AM   #1442
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalWash View Post
It's actually been in the works for 10 years already. The ability of technology and the need are only increasing.

Again, here's a link: http://www.bwmaglev.com/about/p_overview.htm
Very interesting. I was thinking that if this were to be realized it would vastly increase the importance of BWI airport and might even enable it to compete with Dulles in the distant future for international flights.

I am a bit surprised that the Baltimore-Washington line is competing with Pittsburgh. Would the other finalist connect Pittsburgh to Philadelphia (which I bet would be vastly more expensive than Balt.-Wash.), to Youngstown (too small a city I think) or to another city ?
urbane no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:50 AM   #1443
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
do you guys EVER see this project lifting off? it's been proposed since 1998, and counting.........
I guess the problem is that there are large real estate groups with deep-pockets with plans for this small area who dislike each other: Weinberg Foundation, Chera, Gerald Goldfein etc.

The results are lawsuits and delays.

Not everything is bleak though, at least the renovation of the Stewarts building has been accomplished (they are still working on tenant improvements for Catholic Relief Services to move in I think), and that is in the Superblock.
urbane no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:55 AM   #1444
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
bmore87, that is so funny.
We both posted the same thing within seconds of each other.
Great minds sir...great minds.
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:59 AM   #1445
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post

I am a bit surprised that the Baltimore-Washington line is competing with Pittsburgh. Would the other finalist connect Pittsburgh to Philadelphia (which I bet would be vastly more expensive than Balt.-Wash.), to Youngstown (too small a city I think) or to another city ?
the pittsburgh line would connect the city to the airport. i don't know enough about the topography geographical location of the airport (i think its north of the city) to wonder if the route could eventually be built to philly. months ago i posted about the baltimore/dc line being the obvious choice. now with the brac influx upon us it makes even more sense to build between dc/ and baltimore with future links to new york and boston. if the csx bypass ever happens they could convert the howard street tunnel to maglev in order to get through the cbd. good god...it'll be beautiful!
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:11 AM   #1446
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

I'm not sure what the long-term plan for the Pittsburgh line is, but the Balt-Wash line is supposed to be a single leg in a line that would eventually connect Boston to Charlotte. I think the main problem with maglev, as a few forumers mentioned long ago, is that the estimated ticket price is somewhere around $25, give or take. Assuming that this is also true of the Pittsburgh line, I can't imagine people paying $25 to take a train to and from the airport. You can hire a private car for about the same amount. There might potentially be a bigger market in the Balt-Wash region, but I still can't foresee too many people paying that amount.
My hope would be that the maglev would completely change the culture of Baltimore and Washington. Can you imagine being able to get from Camden Station to Union Station in ten minutes?!?!? That might draw enough riders to keep ticket prices low.
How are maglevs in Shanghai and wherever else they may be doing? Are they highly subsidized?
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:02 AM   #1447
BigBalto1

Likes (Received): 0

Well i guess they are for real this time with the construction of the Four Seasons hotel they closed part of the road going around the parking lot
BigBalto1 no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:51 AM   #1448
getontrac

The soutside of the new Mercy garage is about 5 floors up...if anybody cares....I walked by there tonight.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:20 AM   #1449
jpav

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
The soutside of the new Mercy garage is about 5 floors up...if anybody cares....I walked by there tonight.

Nate
I think the faster they get this garage done the quicker they will demolish the Calvert St. garage and start the new hospital. So the garage is an important project to keep our eyes on IMO.
jpav no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:32 AM   #1450
getontrac

Yup.....hope so....

Nate
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM   #1451
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I found another rendering of the Hilton.

Nice rendering Huck. I might add that the parking lot in the lower right of the picture is where the U of M Hospital is going. It is UC now. One less parking lot! Also, the boutique hotel is not rendered. So that lot is gone now too. I hereby certify that is an "OFFICIAL BALTIMORE PARKING LOT FREE ZONE"!

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 1st, 2007 at 02:34 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM   #1452
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
Very interesting. I was thinking that if this were to be realized it would vastly increase the importance of BWI airport and might even enable it to compete with Dulles in the distant future for international flights.

We are competing with Pittsburgh (Airport to Downtown) because the Maglev demo projects were selected by the Republican head of the DOT who was appointed by the president. At that time, we had a Republican President, Republican Congress, and two Pennsylvania Republican Senators on VERY shaky ground (Though one had since BITTEN THE DUST! - Good riddens Mr. Santorum). Pennsylvania and Ohio are swing states and which ever party is in power does all they can to get votes from those two states even if it costs the rest of us big bucks.

I lived in Pennsylvania at that time and I actually got a mailing from Santorum (who is from the Pittsburgh area) touting that he was "instrumental" in getting that line included as a maglev demo finalist. I wrote back to him and told him that I didn't appreciate the waste of my tax dollars on a line that would never pay for its self. I also said that upgrading rail service on the Northeast Corridor made much more sense, was more benifical to the country as a whole, and was more cost effective. I then voted against his ass as did 59% of my fellow state residents.

Since the inclusion of the Pittsburgh airport route as a finalist, USAir the largest airline serving that city has eliminated the hub they once had there. They now have a relatively new airport and about half of it is mothballed due to lack of traffic. USAir was responsible for 65% of all the traffic. The airport is actually west of downtown.

As an aside, this thing is going up in Jersey City! I'm really glad the powers that be in Baltimore are conservative and don't approve structures like this, and that hideous Museum Tower in Louisville, for our fair city. "Non é bello quel che é bello, ma é bello quel che piace."

How about those O's. They are in 1st place! Enjoy it while you can.

StevenW - I know you're a "Baltimore" addict. Your BBJ "fix" is in the mail.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 1st, 2007 at 05:27 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1453
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBalto1 View Post
Well i guess they are for real this time with the construction of the Four Seasons hotel they closed part of the road going around the parking lot
And the surveying stakout has been done delineating the limits of the slurry wall. parking will be underground which is a welcome change to the model used in Harbor east now of above ground parking. This is going to be a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG construction job. But a great one.
Hood no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM   #1454
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
wow, what a disaster.....LOL.

between this building and that 61-story building going up in Louisville that looks like a stack of leggos, i'm try to figure out which one is the ugliest. i wouldn't be able to live with myself if baltimore ever got something like this.

by the way, GREAT win by the terps last night over the dukies.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; March 1st, 2007 at 08:38 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:43 PM   #1455
Brian21

Ewww.....Ok I lived in Jersey City and this thing will look absolutely hideous on the skyline...Can everyone say.....CONNECT FOUR.....lol
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1456
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Nice rendering Huck. I might add that the parking lot in the lower right of the picture is where the U of M Hospital is going. It is UC now. One less parking lot! Also, the boutique hotel is not rendered. So that lot is gone now too. I hereby certify that is an "OFFICIAL BALTIMORE PARKING LOT FREE ZONE"!
Makes me happier than anyone.

Nate
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1457
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
And the surveying stakout has been done delineating the limits of the slurry wall. parking will be underground which is a welcome change to the model used in Harbor east now of above ground parking. This is going to be a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG construction job. But a great one.
Oh yeah!!

But it'll be fun to watch!

Nate
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM   #1458
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Interesting Articles out today

http://www.mddailyrecord.com/article...=598&type=UTTM
Quote:
They’re called BigBelly Cordless Compactors, and they use solar energy to compact the trash they hold. They can store three to four times as much garbage as ordinary cans, according to their manufacturer.
This week, the Baltimore City Department of Public Works began placing 18 of the $3,795 units around the harbor. They replaced almost 40 of the molded concrete trash cans that had been tucked into nooks along the harbor since its development as a tourist destination in the 1970s.

http://www.costar.com/News/Article.a...E9BCB1760220E9
Quote:
Canadian Firm Contracts for Baltimore High-Rise

Multi-Employer Property Trust to Collect $73.5M in Sale of 500 E. Pratt Multi-Employer Property Trust has struck an agreement to sell the 500 E. Pratt St. office tower in downtown Baltimore to IPC Inc., a subsidiary of Canada-based IPC US REIT, for $73.5 million, or about $282 per square foot.

"We are very pleased to announce our entry into a new east coast market, strengthening the REIT’s presence in the Boston-Washington corridor, one of our strategic markets," said Gary Goodman, president and CEO of IPC US REIT.

The acquisition would be the 36th Class A office building in IPC Inc.'s portfolio. Built in 2004, the 12-story, 260,850-square-foot office building overlooks the Inner Harbor and features a distinctive floor-to-ceiling glass exterior, outdoor dining facilities and a 908-space parking garage. Tenants include The Reznick Group, Aon Corp. and Saul Ewing LLP. The building is more than 90% leased.

And a little Baltimore History Lesson in this article. 100 Years:The 12 events that shaped baltimore.http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/def...s=272&ai=38404

Oh yeah, definitly was a great win by the terps. Greivis is a monster!

Last edited by Baltimoreborn1; March 1st, 2007 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Terps won
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM   #1459
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post

by the way, GREAT win by the terps last night over the dukies.
You can say that again! They're not our rival, just our bitches.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM   #1460
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

wow that building in Jersey is one ugly som-bish
cgunna no está en línea  

Closed Thread