daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #1561
harlem87
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
My complaint about 10IH was that it wasn't that engaging, period; not that is was "un-Baltimore".

Nate
No, You just don't want Baltimore to look like any other Modern Upscale City in America.
harlem87 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #1562
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Not sure why people are complaining about 10IH. Is it the greatest design I've ever seen? No. But it is a very elegant glass tower, a tall one at that and a tremendous asset for our city. Philly has those beautiful tall glass towers that dominate the middle of their skyline. It would be great to see us go with a similar approach. I would be quite content if the design did not change and we kept the height.
I've said this before and I will continue to say that the Baltimore(and Maryland) Haters will say anything to spew a Negative Spin on Upgrading Baltimore with mostly Upscale Glass Building Skyscrapers that have now taken over Upscale Cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Huston, Miami, Philly, Boston, San Diego, Dallas-Fort Worth, etc.
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #1563
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
The Baltimore Zoo is free today and tomorrow.

Take Metro Subway (Mondawmin Station), if possible. Avoid parking in the Park.

Nate
When the Baltimore Subway EXPAND the routes, Transform the existing Light Rail Routes into Heavy Rail Subway, and Operates 24/7 then more people will be entice to ride the subway.
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #1564
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Harbor East Boomtown

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...home-headlines
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #1565
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Nice article on Harboreast

It's about time the Sun ran a comprehensive story on all the construction going on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoeJoeJoe View Post
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #1566
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

here's a view of harbor east from the WTC in 1984. all i have to say that baltimore has truly come a LONG way.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #1567
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

It would be awesome if where that chrome plant is shown in the picture, which is now nothing, they built a bunch of talls right there.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1568
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I wonder why the Urbanite printed a review of a building that won't even be constructed? Isn't that an old design? They should have waited 3 weeks until the new design is presented to the city.

Thank god Montgomery and Fairfax counties don't compete with each other and work together for the good of the common region! Ahem.
Montgomery County is Maryland and Fairfax County is in Va, two totally different states the last time I checked? OH YEAH! Isn't Baltimore in the same state that Montgomery County is in? Wow we share the same state government, direct pool of taxes and the same perception from outsiders, I could go on and on. How exciting this breaking news is!
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #1569
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

i hate to see the disrespect for jim rouse. its like saying ben franklin shoulda been smarter faster or that edison should've invented the lightbulb sooner. rouse, like franklin and edison was working with the knowledge of the day. that doesn't, nor should it, diminish the kudos he should receive for his vision and atempt to bring his visions to fruition. his success at cross keys drove him to develop columbia. at the time, columbia, even in the conceptual stage was cutting edge. imagine being a white man in the 50's with the balls to propose a planned community where ALL races would be housed equally. all people would mingle. the details put forth in columbia are meticulous to an insane degree. the reason that the mnailboxes are clustered at the end of the streets or cul de sacs isn't because its cheep and efficient. it was to ensure neighbors would meet each other and talk to each other when they went to get the mail! it is the success of columbia's design that made people want to move there. eventually there were more people wanting to move to columbia than there were houses availible. so other developers bought adjacent land and continued to develop, but not in the same vein as rouse. now its just one big ugly mess of sprawl. did rouse's company also build shopping malls? sure. the company that beared his name was indeed a development company. but the man himself was tireless in his effort to provide quality, low cost housing to the masses. lets also not forget that harborplace (whether you like it or hate it...i hate it) has almost single handedly transformed this city. lets face it...its a shopping mall on the waterfront. but for some reason people from nebraska or iowa or wherever like the place!!!! in this, the "monumental city", there should be errected a plaza with statues dedicated to rouse, larry reich (planning director from 1966-1989) and walter soundheim. soundheim has his little place in history at the base of the world trade center. go visit...its cool. in fact, all of these men have small dedications to their minds somewhere. but none of the memorials are as big as the men themselves.
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #1570
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Not sure why people are complaining about 10IH. Is it the greatest design I've ever seen? No. But it is a very elegant glass tower, a tall one at that and a tremendous asset for our city. Philly has those beautiful tall glass towers that dominate the middle of their skyline. It would be great to see us go with a similar approach. I would be quite content if the design did not change and we kept the height.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalWash View Post
I completely agree.
Agreed x3.
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1571
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...,7344979.story
This is a great article.
Some pix:

Cool: http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...,3348608.flash
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #1572
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
Agreed x3.
I wouldn't take the criticism of 10IH to mean that we don't support the tower or even that we aren't appreciative of what it will do for the city. But if 10IH is going to be the signature of the city, and all signs are pointing to that at the moment, doesn't it make sense to desire a design that stands out? 10IH is a nice tower, but it could very well be just another tower in Houston or Dallas or Atlanta, or even NYC or Philly. We've been stuck with a run-of-the-mill signature tower for thirty years, and we've all seen what image that has given us.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" aside, 10IH is a good tower, but it's not a great tower. Baltimore deserves a great tower. And with a $400 million price tag and a world-class architect, we should be able to get one.
Let's wait and see what the new design is, and if it sucks, then we can cry about how great the old design was. But we have an opportunity to trade in a decent tower for possibly a fantastic one. We should wait and see what ARCWheeler has for us. They haven't really let us down before.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #1573
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
It really is a great article, Steven. I suggest that everyone here read it. In its short life, Harbor East almost appears to have just as much history as any other neighborhood in Baltimore. A pre-planned neighborhood, Harbor East is not!
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #1574
getontrac

Does anyone know who or what was responsible for the complete disconnection between the Metro and Owings Mills Mall? Wasn't the Mall a Rouse project?

That disconnection is like something from a sci-fi movie and one of the most ridiculous things I've ever experienced as a pedestrian going from one place to another. I don't think that mall should have been built; I think it's only successfull as TOD and mixed-use which it is now becoming. That may be its saving grace.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #1575
getontrac

I still think it was a mistake giving the deal for the hotel to Paterakis.

Overall, I think it would have benefited Baltimore, as a city, if the Hotel were build in the W. Pratt area. The Westside might be much further along now and our convention attrativeness and viability would have been solidified years ago. It's tough catch-up now, as we've witnessed.

Nate
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1576
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
I still think it was a mistake giving the deal for the hotel to Paterakis.

Overall, I think it would have benefited Baltimore, as a city, if the Hotel were build in the W. Pratt area. The Westside might be much further along now and our convention attrativeness and viability would have been solidified years ago. It's tough catch-up now, as we've witnessed.

Nate
it was more than a mistake...it was outright corruption that the marriott deal went through as a 'convention center' hotel. hmmmm...lets build a convention center hotel a mile away from the convention center!?!?!?!? go back and look at eh politics involved...

...i hated shmoke then...i still do.
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #1577
getontrac

I'm not really a schmoker, myself. Occasional cigars.

Nate
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1578
getontrac

Some general numbers were thrown out earlier, but does anyone have more exact figures for the SF of the 4 Seasons and the LM tower?

What are room/living unit totals projected to be for 4 seasons?

Thanks,
Nate
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1579
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

I thought the idea of building the hotel a mile away AT THAT TIME was a terrible idea... Especially since it was just an island out there for several years..

But look at how Inner Harbor East has grown around and because of that hotel, and think about how much more it will grow... can we really complain???

Besides, we are getting our west side hotel now.. sure theyre both ugly, but I think if we look at it now and in to the future.. it was a good idea to build it there... When IHE and the CBD are connected one day, we'll remember it all started with that convention center hotel built a mile away from the convention center..

Also.. at night, that hotel is lit up through the windows of paying guests.. Being a mile away didnt hurt business for it as most people thought it would. (it didnt help the convention center though. BUT, i dont know if you remember, but at the time, some people were pushing for two hotels to be built simultaneously, both on the east and the west, but naysayers were saying the city couldn't handle 2. Once again, people lacking faith in our GREAT city)

Last edited by House3780; March 4th, 2007 at 10:57 PM.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1580
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
When the Baltimore Subway EXPAND the routes, Transform the existing Light Rail Routes into Heavy Rail Subway, and Operates 24/7 then more people will be entice to ride the subway.
The Central Light Rail is not a viable HRT corridor. In fact, it may not even be an economically viable LRT corridor. However, commuter rail would be quite good fit (as it once was) if and when we can get the Howard St Tunnel retrofitted for transit. It would necessarily have fewer stations, of course.

24/7 operations would be nice, but we're still trying to ensure quality service on the hours that it does run.

Nate

Closed Thread