daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:37 AM   #141
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

Cross Keys explores adding new stores, supermarket

Managers of the Village of Cross Keys are considering expanding the number of stores in the community and possibly adding a supermarket.

General Growth Properties Inc. -- property managers at the Baltimore City retail and office complex -- met with community associates last month to discuss attracting new retailers, said General Growth spokesman Jim Graham. But the company is only in the early stages of planning an expansion and will not make any decisions until it addresses residents' concerns, he said.
Balmurfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:48 AM   #142
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

Soccer convention taps city twice

An association of soccer coaches has signed a two-year convention deal for Baltimore, which will bring 7,500 attendees to the city in 2008 and 2011.

The National Soccer Coaches Association of America has met in Baltimore three times before, but officials decided to return with a two-year deal this time because "the hotel situation has gotten much better," NSCAA's Convention Manager Robert W. Robinson said.
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM   #143
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik View Post
Since when? It's a small company based in East Baltimore since the early 1900's. It's a for-profit company that receives no support/subsidies from the state.

There was an article in The Sun a few months ago about the Canton RR. I think they just celebrated their 100th anniversary.
It is owned by MDOT. MDOT had to take it on as part of a land swap deal to put the highways throught the area.

Ooop. saw that this was addressed already..

Last edited by Hood; January 22nd, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
Hood no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:29 PM   #144
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javalady1 View Post
Okay, well either way, 34A is not being built.

I'm sure there was resistance from the community. However, I live in this in community and I never heard of this building until I found it in another thread late last week.
What neighborhood do you live in? Riverside or Key Highway Community Association? If its Riverside, then you would have heard of this project, but its been some years. We had the developer show us his plan at the community meetnig. So, if you are new to the neighborhood, then it makes sence that you have not heard of it.
Hood no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM   #145
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Likes (Received): 0

The Water Street crane is about to be history. They have lowered it to the original level it had when it was first constructed. I believe they planned to take it down this past weekend but the high winds precluded that. So now it is short and locked into place so that it doesn't move.

The Zenith crane's days are numbered. When it goes, we will be down to only 4 cranes around the harbor. I don't know why, but the Hilton's "2nd" crane is still a stump!

Looks like activity is going on in the ground level "retail" space of the Alex Brown building at South and Baltimore Streets on the Baltimore Street side. Perhaps something is getting ready to move in there?
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:18 PM   #146
Brian21

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
Charm City looks absolutely stunning in the snow. Spent the day at Enoch Pratt and photographed Mt. Vernon blanketed in the white stuff. I dare anyone to find a more beautiful city portrait than the Washington Monument, flanked by Peabody, with the faint golden glow of the Bank of America building hiding in the background.
Wow...sounds beautiful. Did you have your camera with you? Would love to see that on a picture.

Also welcome Javalady1
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:25 PM   #147
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by wada_guy View Post
Looks like activity is going on in the ground level "retail" space of the Alex Brown building at South and Baltimore Streets on the Baltimore Street side. Perhaps something is getting ready to move in there?
God I hope so. Im so tired of seeing that black film cover those windows. I just hope its something worthwhile and not a CVS or something.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM   #148
getontrac

^C'mon dude, we really need another 7-11, MickeyD's, a New York Fried Chicken--better yet--another Subway sammich shop!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM   #149
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

The Pinnacle might be next to break ground. Harborview is already advertising it as part of the Harborview line up.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:34 PM   #150
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

It seems like most of the new street level retail we have gotten has been dealing with food. From the aforementioned 7-11's, Dunkin Donut's, Subway's etc. Folks would like to be able to buy other things besides food too!

How about a real, live, full fledged, newsstand?

Addidonally, does anyone know why the space on Pratt next to Jos A Bank has been vacant for what seems like 5 years now? I don't know if you can have anymore prime real estate to sell something than right there.

I have seen work going on there for a long time, but nothing is really happening. a headscratcher.....

post script:

whats up with the baltimore/dc 'superforum' that was mentioned eariler? is that a go or was it nixed?
cgunna no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:39 PM   #151
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
An association of soccer coaches has signed a two-year convention deal for Baltimore, which will bring 7,500 attendees to the city in 2008 and 2011.

The National Soccer Coaches Association of America has met in Baltimore three times before, but officials decided to return with a two-year deal this time because "the hotel situation has gotten much better," NSCAA's Convention Manager Robert W. Robinson said.
They dont bring many people, but I think this is a very good conference/organization to have friendly ties with. It is very loyal to its host cities. The NSCAA doesnt stray very far from Indy, Philly, and Baltimore. In fact, each of those cities has recently signed contracts to host at least two conferences in the coming years.

Soccer is one of the fastest growing sports in the country and this conference continues to attract more and more participants each year. It attracted about 1500 attendees to its forst convention in 1988. In 2005 just over 7,000 people attended its conference in Baltimore. I think this could be a good opportunity to the Blast to grow its fan base too.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM   #152
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
It seems like most of the new street level retail we have gotten has been dealing with food. From the aforementioned 7-11's, Dunkin Donut's, Subway's etc. Folks would like to be able to buy other things besides food too!

How about a real, live, full fledged, newsstand?

Addidonally, does anyone know why the space on Pratt next to Jos A Bank has been vacant for what seems like 5 years now? I don't know if you can have anymore prime real estate to sell something than right there.

I have seen work going on there for a long time, but nothing is really happening. a headscratcher.....
You're preaching to the choir. I've been bitching and moaning about how the city needs to be proactive about diversifying its retail offerings in City Center. For years I've been saying that a 'City Center Improvement Association' or 'Baltimore Financial District Improvement Association' needs to be created. Sure Best Buy, Filene's Basement, Urban Outfitters, Noveau, City Sports, Gaines McHale, Hand Bags in the City, J. Crew et. al have or are expected to open stand alone stores in downtown zip codes, but those are all along the waterfront.

City Center needs more hotels, more retail, more resturants, and more condos (office and residential). City Center also needs improved parks/squares, improved streetscape and more creative/progressive hardscape...the latter refers to a number of downtown buildings that could inprove their walkways.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:04 PM   #153
waj0527

And a newsstand is crucial. I think that would work very well in the retail space below the Alex. Brown building.

I wonder how well Harbor East News has done. Perhaps the owner could open a sister store in City Center.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:15 PM   #154
getontrac

A full-fledged news stand would be a welcome addition indeed.

I'm really likely the mix and convenience of the Peabody Heights/Hopkins retail district.

I ate at the Chitpotle the other day. I think I've been to one before. Nothing special. An alternative to American fast food.

The Barnes and Noble selection is clearly slanted toward the non-fiction and technical crowd of Hopkins, but welcome nontheless. Don't want to have to go to the Harbor for new books and mags. If I want to take the MTA, its's right of the #22.

My guess is that SBER is going to wait until their close to completing 1209 N. Charles before breaking ground on the Olmstead. I venture to say this might happen in late March. Given the housing slowdown, they may not have enough cashflow to be paying construction workers for too many simutaneous projects. Plus, I suppose it'll be easier once the shifty winter weather breaks.

I think the Olmstead can REALLY, REALLY solidify that area. It's got most of your basic necessities within a short walk, the crux of successful urban living. Baltimore will finally be getting what DC has had for years along Connecticut and Wisconsin Aves.

It'll be interesting to see in which direction the revitalization spreads. More to the east or more to the south? If it spreads to the east, Baltimore could have a superdistrict of retail and commercial space with a burgeoning Waverly shopping district. The mega-Giant parking lot that was created by demolishing still worthy Victorians could be rebuilt with mixed-use.

Heading south seems all too obvious--connect Upper Charles Village/Peabody Heights with Charles North/Mt. Vernon and create the center city spine we know we should have. The housing stock there is great, but large. It's easier to invest in small house neighborhoods than large house neighborhoods. Barclay still is full of drugs, and looking at the 2006 murder map, it appears that crime is getting compressed into certain areas as other areas get revitalized.

Lower Charles Village/Old Goucher is a neighborhood that doesn't feel like it's really there. It's just a travel zone between Hopkins and areas south of the Jone Falls. I can't get a neighborhood feel there no matter what. I suspect the downhill nature of the streets contribute to the high speed automobile driving. The CAC Red Line would do wonders I think here!

Waverly certainly seems cozier and 33rd St is a lovely boulevard....ah well, I digress.....

Nate
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM   #155
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
I ate at the Chitpotle the other day. I think I've been to one before. Nothing special. An alternative to American fast food.
Blasphemy!
BalWash no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM   #156
getontrac

The argument that we need more retail around the core of downtown is one I've made before. I've said the Westside is the best place for large scale retail because of it's central location. Inner Harbor East is a more specialized location and can't replicate large scale shopping for the City, it's upscale niche market. Pratt St and the Harbor is more tourist.

Nate
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:53 PM   #157
waj0527

Quote:
A full-fledged news stand would be a welcome addition indeed.

I'm really likely the mix and convenience of the Peabody Heights/Hopkins retail district.

The Barnes and Noble selection is clearly slanted toward the non-fiction and technical crowd of Hopkins, but welcome nontheless. Don't want to have to go to the Harbor for new books and mags. If I want to take the MTA, its's right of the #22.

My guess is that SBER is going to wait until their close to completing 1209 N. Charles before breaking ground on the Olmstead. I venture to say this might happen in late March. Given the housing slowdown, they may not have enough cashflow to be paying construction workers for too many simutaneous projects. Plus, I suppose it'll be easier once the shifty winter weather breaks.

I think the Olmstead can REALLY, REALLY solidify that area. It's got most of your basic necessities within a short walk, the crux of successful urban living. Baltimore will finally be getting what DC has had for years along Connecticut and Wisconsin Aves.

It'll be interesting to see in which direction the revitalization spreads. More to the east or more to the south? If it spreads to the east, Baltimore could have a superdistrict of retail and commercial space with a burgeoning Waverly shopping district. The mega-Giant parking lot that was created by demolishing still worthy Victorians could be rebuilt with mixed-use.

Heading south seems all too obvious--connect Upper Charles Village/Peabody Heights with Charles North/Mt. Vernon and create the center city spine we know we should have. The housing stock there is great, but large. It's easier to invest in small house neighborhoods than large house neighborhoods. Barclay still is full of drugs, and looking at the 2006 murder map, it appears that crime is getting compressed into certain areas as other areas get revitalized.

Lower Charles Village/Old Goucher is a neighborhood that doesn't feel like it's really there. It's just a travel zone between Hopkins and areas south of the Jone Falls. I can't get a neighborhood feel there no matter what. I suspect the downhill nature of the streets contribute to the high speed automobile driving. The CAC Red Line would do wonders I think here!

Waverly certainly seems cozier and 33rd St is a lovely boulevard....ah well, I digress.....

Nate
Very good discussion Nate.

I think development to the south is all too obvious and will happen before (or will at least catch on faster than development to the east and west of that area). Driving up Charles and down Calvert should be a much grander experience. You can see patches of development along St Paul Street, but that needs improvement too. Those can be three really nice boulevards with Charles being the nicest/most posh, St. Paul street being a very solid alternative to Charles and Calvert having a bohemian/artsy vibe to it.

I'd LOVE to see 33rd Street become more than it is today. In fact I'd like to see 33rd and Greenmount become something akin to 13th or 14th Streets along U street in Washington. That would take lots of foresight and vision.

This area is one of the most perplexing neighborhoods in Baltimore. Tuscany-Canterbury is certainly very nice and aside from some of those high-rise apartments can even be classified as posh. Charles Village is a very solid urban neighborhood with lots of amenties to offer and more in the pipeline. The area bounded by 33rd to the north, Greenmount to the east, Guilford to the west and 25th Street to the south is very odd. One block can be solid and the very next block looks like its straight out of 'The Wire' replete the the flashing BPD blue lights and flood lamps to boot. The State and City release all these reports and issue all these warnings about saving the city's middle class, well this is a great neighborhood to start with. Get someone in there to fix up those abandoned houses (developers dont need to make these $1 million houses, just pretty solid units), add some neighborhood approriate amenties, etc. Market rate of these homes should start at $150K really shouldnt exceed $250K. Thats very resonable. If only I could have MJ Brodie's job for a few weeks.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:57 PM   #158
waj0527

Quote:
The argument that we need more retail around the core of downtown is one I've made before. I've said the Westside is the best place for large scale retail because of it's central location. Inner Harbor East is a more specialized location and can't replicate large scale shopping for the City, it's upscale niche market. Pratt St and the Harbor is more tourist.

Nate
Exactly. I agree 100%> The Westside can really become something special. You all already know how I feel about that. I honestly think that City Center is going to get pushed aside when retail in Harbor East really starts to get going, when/if retail along Pratt improves/picks up and when the Westside gets going. No reason why Chipotle, for example, has a store at the Inner Harbor but not in City Center. They know lines would be out of the door regardless.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM   #159
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:

Nate
I think that the old Goucher area could be the next flashpoint for revitalization. With area north of the staion perking up and Upper Charles always in good shape and now really revitalizing, the old Goucher area is in the middle and primed to step up. There are several large churchs in this area which are stable neighbors (including Lovely Lane UMC which is the birthplace of American Methodism and is a tourist draw, check the interior dome sometime, stunning) and WYPR and the Afro-American are on Charles St. in this area. They also have the Safeway. I have thought that the open lot just north of the old Goucher buildings and across from the federal deposit building would be a great spot for redevelopment.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:11 PM   #160
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Very good discussion Nate.

I think development to the south is all too obvious and will happen before (or will at least catch on faster than development to the east and west of that area). Driving up Charles and down Calvert should be a much grander experience. You can see patches of development along St Paul Street, but that needs improvement too. Those can be three really nice boulevards with Charles being the nicest/most posh, St. Paul street being a very solid alternative to Charles and Calvert having a bohemian/artsy vibe to it.
Good points. Does anyone knowif the city has any plans to rebuild the pavement for Charles and especially St. Paul, they are very rough with the old streetcar tracks poking out.
Maudibjr no está en línea  

Closed Thread