daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #1701
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Rash Field

March 8, 2007 Press Release

Baltimore, MD (March 8, 2007) – The Baltimore Development Corporation (BDC), the Parking Authority of Baltimore City (PABC) and the Baltimore City Departments of Recreation and Parks and Public Works today announced that five teams will compete to design a new Rash Field that incorporates an underground parking facility.

The five teams were short-listed from an initial response of 14 teams to a Request for Proposals (RFP) issued by the aforementioned agencies on the behalf of the City of Baltimore.

The teams are:

· Hord Coplan Macht, Inc. (Carol Macht, ASLA)

· PB Americas, Inc. / Halvorson Design Partnership, Inc. (Gerald Jannetti, P.E.)

· Timothy Haahs & Associates, Inc. / EDSA (Timothy Haahs, P.E.)

· Whitman, Requardt & Associates, LLP / Mahan Rykiel Associates

(David McCormick, AIA)

· Ziger/Snead Architects & Thomas Balsley Associates (Steve Ziger, AIA)

The Joseph H. Rash Memorial Park, which opened to the public in 1976, has served Baltimore City as an open space for recreational activities, special events and the site of the Pride of Baltimore memorial. Located on the south shore of Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, Rash Field ranks as one of Baltimore’s most important open spaces. The site, approximately 9.3 acres, has been expanded from the current Rash Field to include the area from the Maryland Science Center to the Ritz Carlton and Rusty Scupper restaurant, encompassing the Marina Parking Garage.

Based on a 2003 Inner Harbor Master Plan recommendation that an underground parking facility be constructed and concealed by a new Rash Field Park, BDC and PABC hired a consultant to conduct a feasibility study (completed in June 2006) that concluded that such a parking facility was practical. Following public meetings with community residents and area stakeholders, a consensus was formed that plans be pursued with the following criteria: 1) The design must be

world-class, preserving and enhancing views to and from historic Federal Hill; 2) The challenge must be met to redesign Rash Field into a new vibrant park, while incorporating a viable underground parking facility; and 3) The project must greatly enhance the open space and recreational experience of Rash Field, while providing much needed parking to the surrounding attractions and neighborhood.

The City of Baltimore is seeking a design team that will undertake both the park and parking facility as a single well-integrated project. The selected team must have experience in

designing world-class public parks, parking structures built at or below the water level, underground parking facilities, and construction cost estimating, while working in a process that includes public participation. The selected design team will work closely with BDC and PABC staffs and community residents/area stakeholders to ensure that the final design meets the highest criteria and community expectations.

A selection panel composed of City officials and community representatives will interview the five teams.

####

Please contact:
Joann Logan at 410-837-9310 x329

© 2005. Baltimore Development Corporation. Close Window

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1702
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

So...does that mean that where there used to be volleyball and ice skating, there's going to be...flowers? I don't know. I like having a vibrant look, but you need an open place like that just to hang out and do whatever.
Scba no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #1703
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
Maybe they should change the name to "Vue of 4 seasons"?
That's too funny! :
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #1704
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Well guys, I have some encouraging news.
Mr. John Voneiff of ArcWheeler just e-mailed me concerning 10 IH.
You know there was a published report by the BBJ that 10 IH would be a 650 ft. tall tower now and not 715 ft. Well, that's N-O-T true!

Here is his response:

"This is a miss quote - the building is to be no less than 650 and no more than 800 feet - nothing in this reguard has changes. right now it is about 700.

Best

John
"

Sounds very good to me! We're in the 700 ft. range again!!
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1705
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

Awesome!! I'm still shooting for the upper 700 ft range. But hey at least it will be 700+.

Thanks Steve
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #1706
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

No problem.

BTW, a great link: http://www.mddailyrecord.com/publica...%20March07.pdf

Check out the picture on page 2. Awesome.
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #1707
Margonian

hi

Last edited by Margonian; March 9th, 2007 at 01:18 AM.
Margonian no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #1708
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Here is his response:

"This is a miss quote - the building is to be no less than 650 and no more than 800 feet - nothing in this reguard has changes. right now it is about 700.

Best

John
"

Sounds very good to me! We're in the 700 ft. range again!!
i wouldn't get TOO excited by this. he obviously left open the possibility of 10ih being a 650ft tower. still good news, but nothing is final in this town until its built! i think we all know that. of course...he also left it open to be 800ft! btw...did anyone check out the article in urbanite regarding 10ih? interesting read.
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1709
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
No problem.

BTW, a great link: http://www.mddailyrecord.com/publica...%20March07.pdf

Check out the picture on page 2. Awesome.
Where was National Harbor on that? It's in PG county. hmmm...well that's kind of an insult since I'm working on that one.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #1710
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margonian View Post
hi
Hello. Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you.
Please post often.
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #1711
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

The BCC thing seems very far off to me so I'm not even really thinking about it.

This Gateway South thing has me concerned. That seems like a huge waste of land to me. Why not try and build a community down there with that project if that is what they want to do? This proposal just seems like something I'd find in some sprawling suburb.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #1712
getontrac

I think the City (meaning BDC) didn't want to risk overbuilding outside of greater downtown. Originally, it was supposed to be flex-industrial, then it was denser mixed-use.

I think they might have decided to add Gateway South to the whole Middle Branch as the natural, park-like, alternative to the heavily urbanized Inner Harbor philosophy of development.

I don't particularly care for the whole thing, but, long term, its probably better than dense, mixed use there, because it's very close to sea level (Westport's a little higher, I think.) Flooding and global warming really are long-term issues SOME business people are starting to take seriously. It's right next to Resco, which stinks. The outlet of the Gwynns Falls will never be particularly clean, no matter what. The view and smell of the highway ramps is not particularly attractive, although if you like trains, there's the LR. I think a dense-mixed use development, would be platooned in an inappropriate spot, since it's surronded by areas that aren't, and are not ever planned to be. Might as well let the market absorb offices/hotels/dwellings in another part of town that needs it more.

It would be nice to create a part of Baltimore that attempts to create and allow healthier and better nature and ecology to exist in a water setting.(Yes, severely garbled language there). As I said above, it won't ever be pristine.

We just need to get the Greyhound out of there. Totally wrong spot!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #1713
Javalady1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
Ahhh. I see. My wife met the new owners of Barista recently and she said that they lived in one of the HV townes. We loved that place when the original owners had it. It seems to be in better hands now.
That place has had so many owners since I have been here. Yes, the original owners were really nice. I didn't know there were new owners again, but glad to hear it. There's a reason I haven't been there in a while.
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #1714
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21230 View Post
Ok, so our friend harlem87 has posted in one of the southeast threads:

It looks like some people from the NorthEast Forum aren't too fond of Charlotte and Atlanta:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...431729&page=83

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...431729&page=84

sociopath (soh-see-uh-path, soh-shee-uh-path) - a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience. Someone whose social behavior is extremely abnormal. Sociopaths are interested only in their personal needs and desires, without concern for the effects of their behavior on others. (Compare psychopath.)
So Sociopath is the disease that the doctor diagnose you with.

Looks like thats the disease that the anti-Growth Baltimore haters suffer from also.

It can't be far from the truth because why would anybody raise hell against a 65 Story Tower because of a 150 year old warehouse are in plans for demolish to make a Upscale Tower that will bring much needed Business/Econonmic/Revenue Growth for Baltimore.

Also why would any sane person believe that building mass transit alone will reduce the need to drive and build more highways/bridges.
harlem87 no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #1715
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCKenny View Post
Don't smoke crack
But yet you people voted for a crackhead mayor 3x and now he is a city councilman.

No disrespect to the former mayor.
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #1716
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
No one goes to downtown Atlanta to go out. They have less middle and upper miiddle class living in the city than Baltimore. Buckhead is a suburb of Atlanta like Towson is to downtown Baltimore. Buckhead is basically malls and chain stores. It is similar to Rockville or Tysons Corner.
Thanks for the FALSE Information.
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #1717
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
They should build a low rise there and not something tall. You can't have high rises on every single block in the city. A building there will block the views of Water Street and the Cordish condo tower. What about the people who paid for those views? That is the wrong place for a tall structure. Bla. Bla Bla. I'm practicing my NIMBYism in case I ever need to use it. It won't be for that project though. I look north.
Your practicing your anti-Growth scheme for Baltimore, eh.
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #1718
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
Hey dude, listen. I'm from the SouthEast. (Memphis, TN) I don't understand why you always try to stir up shit. (I'm guessing your about 19-20 yrs old based on your name?) You always bring up NoVa like it's some gold standard. I would NEVER want to live in NoVA. I do alot of projects down there and that place is just one big clusterf*ck. The whole way it was developed is completely unsustainable. They're gonna be in big trouble in about 20 years. Most people I know moved to Baltimore because it WASN'T like NoVA, Atlanta, Charlotte, and every other southern city for that matter. Do I think Baltimore is southern? NO WAY. It's the Mid-atlantic. As far as culture goes the Mason-Dixon line doesn't mean shit. Trust me, Debbie Downer.
Hey at least I got someone to admit that they're not from Maryland.

That Explains alot.
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #1719
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
why does someone with the screen name 'harlem' care so much about 'baltimore' anyway?
What kinda name is Cgunna??????????
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #1720
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
I couldn't have said it better! Took the words right out of my mouth
Another person that is a non-Marylander I see.

Closed Thread