daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 9th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #1721
harlem87
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
Non-Marylader too I see.
harlem87 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #1722
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
I think the City (meaning BDC) didn't want to risk overbuilding outside of greater downtown. Originally, it was supposed to be flex-industrial, then it was denser mixed-use.

I think they might have decided to add Gateway South to the whole Middle Branch as the natural, park-like, alternative to the heavily urbanized Inner Harbor philosophy of development.

I don't particularly care for the whole thing, but, long term, its probably better than dense, mixed use there, because it's very close to sea level (Westport's a little higher, I think.) Flooding and global warming really are long-term issues SOME business people are starting to take seriously. It's right next to Resco, which stinks. The outlet of the Gwynns Falls will never be particularly clean, no matter what. The view and smell of the highway ramps is not particularly attractive, although if you like trains, there's the LR. I think a dense-mixed use development, would be platooned in an inappropriate spot, since it's surronded by areas that aren't, and are not ever planned to be. Might as well let the market absorb offices/hotels/dwellings in another part of town that needs it more.

It would be nice to create a part of Baltimore that attempts to create and allow healthier and better nature and ecology to exist in a water setting.(Yes, severely garbled language there). As I said above, it won't ever be pristine.

We just need to get the Greyhound out of there. Totally wrong spot!

Nate
But yet you support that MASSIVE Mixed-Use Mostly Office Development along the SE/SW Washington Waterfront.
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #1723
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
The BCC thing seems very far off to me so I'm not even really thinking about it.

This Gateway South thing has me concerned. That seems like a huge waste of land to me. Why not try and build a community down there with that project if that is what they want to do? This proposal just seems like something I'd find in some sprawling suburb.
And this is another reason why other Major Cities are doing better than Baltimore and anyone that constantly criticize Upscale Development in Baltimore is what defines a Baltimore hater if not a Maryland hater.
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #1724
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
No problem.

BTW, a great link: http://www.mddailyrecord.com/publica...%20March07.pdf

Check out the picture on page 2. Awesome.
I didn't realize walmarts would be on the list.
vivo no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #1725
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

OK! I have taken wadaguy's scheme of playing amish and shunning, I have bitten my tongue (errr. or finger, as it were), what else can I do? Mason tried to block said jackass and still gets frustrated...: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET SOMEONE BANNED??!!. Just my humble thoughts, but I'm soooooo tired of all of the crap he/she posts (if not only for the incoherent grammar, sentence structure, etc.)! Well the grammar/structure part was just about being bitchy.
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #1726
DCKenny

I'm with you on that topic and if this person does'nt like Maryland or Baltimore don't post simple stay on another forum.
DCKenny no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #1727
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

I read in the JHU Newsletter today that Charles Village retailers are, too, complaining about the vacant lot where the Olmstead is supposed to rise. A lack of parking promised in the development, and the unsightly block it creates, should help put some pressure on the developer to move with this project. Then again, macroeconomic variables will always be foremost on Streuver's mind as far as a decision goes.

The Newsletter says that the Olmstead is supposed to start in "late" 2007. I'm assuming that's Q4:07 or Q1:08.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #1728
getontrac

I made a bet with the person who heard from what she thought was a good source that the project had been killed way back when (when I first posted about). I bet $20 it would start excavation by May 1st.

Darn.

Non-townhouse projects never start on time in this city, anyway. They are always delayed 6 months to 6 years. Always.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #1729
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
Hey at least I got someone to admit that they're not from Maryland.

That Explains alot.
Yeah but I live in Baltimore now. For two years...and maybe for life. That's all that matters. I was one of the people that worked on the Pratt Street redesign. So far it seems that growing up here means nothing...except maybe that you're more jaded and less appreciative of this city than anyone else. At least I'm participating in the new growth and design of this place instead of just bitching and claiming that highways and republicans will solve everyone's problems. I've lived in New York too. IN fact...I lived in Harlem. 145th street to be exact. you know, I come from a place that was FULL of highways and bridges and sprawl and good ol' boy Republicans doing favors for friends...it's horrible...placeless...generic...chain-restaurant-filled parking lots. you have NO idea. Compared to that, Baltimore is awesome. I'll even take it just as it is. Just stop while you're ahead dude. You're by far the most negative person on this board. Can't you find something else to do but bash Baltimore? I don't get it.

Last edited by MountVEE; March 11th, 2007 at 01:55 AM.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #1730
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
No problem.

BTW, a great link: http://www.mddailyrecord.com/publica...%20March07.pdf

Check out the picture on page 2. Awesome.
Did you note the worlds fancyiest safeway with underground parking.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #1731
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

I find Baltimore, despite all of its problems, to be a very comfortable, even cozy, city to live in. You might read in that a little nostalgia for the past, and I guess I do have that as I love to read local histories of the city, but I appreciate the new development from an economic perspective.

I spent the first 20 years of my life split between rural upstate New York and New York City. I found strong points in both. High school in New York City is an amazing experience, perhaps the best cultural immersion in the world, and the opportunity to do research in some of New York's great institutions -- Columbia, Rockefeller, NYU, Cooper Union. I found lots of neat hang-outs, particularly in the East Village and around NYU in the city. Yet what I always yearned for was a little quiet in the city, a retreat, if you will. Just walking to Woodberry or Hampden on a winter morning is such a retreat. You lose the bustle of the harbor and find yourself exploring little alleys, an old mill building, or the park. It's really quiet. And it's often beautiful. Baltimore has a nice mix of rural and urban, and for that I cherish it.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #1732
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Commission OKs Mondawmin redevelopment plans
JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
March 9, 2007
General Growth Properties Inc.’s plans for a multimillion redevelopment of Baltimore’s Mondawmin Mall received final design approval Thursday from the city Planning Commission.

The Chicago-based real estate investment trust announced early last year its plans to renovate the 50-year-old shopping center, which sits at the junction of Gwynns Falls Parkway and Reisterstown Road in Northwest Baltimore. Plans call for the rehabilitation of the existing mall and construction of more than 230,000 square feet of commercial space. Reconfigured landscaping and better pedestrian access, including a walkway around the mall, will also be included.

General Growth has already broken ground on a 68,000-square-foot grocery store and would begin construction this summer on the mall itself, said H. Granvel Tate III, General Growth’s director of urban land development. A 127,000-square-foot Target store is expected to break ground sometime this fall.

Other construction will include a 25,000-square-foot “junior box” reserved for an apparel tenant and two restaurants. Tate declined to say whether Shoppers Food & Pharmacy and Marshalls, rumored Mondawmin tenants, have signed on to the project.

“”It’s something we’re happy about,” he said after receiving approvals from the Planning Commission. “The city and the community have worked so well with us throughout this entire project.

“We’re excited to give the community the kind of services that they’re asking for.”

City Councilwoman Belinda Conaway, who represents the area around Mondawmin Mall, said the redeveloped mall will provide a financial boost to the surrounding neighborhood, which has suffered from a lack of commercial investment.

“We’re looking forward … to all the economic growth it will bring,” Conaway said.

Mondawmin was developed in the mid-1950s by The Rouse Co., the Maryland company that sold itself in 2004 to General Growth.

“It was a pretty cutting edge back then,” said Thomas H. Maddux, president of Towson-based KLNB Retail. “I think the mall has always been successful, and it’s always been well located.”

The mall has never had trouble keeping tenants or selling merchandise, according to Maddux. But some perceive the mall as troubled because it has physically deteriorated over time, he said. Maddux said he thinks General Growth’s investment will bring the mall increased success.

With Mondawmin’s proximity to a subway line, major roads, Coppin State University and two high schools, it is well positioned to draw a diverse array of shoppers.

“What’s happened is that a lot of people who live in that area have had to travel to the suburbs to meet their retail needs,” Maddux said. “I think that community has been waiting for those retail opportunities. They want a state-of-the-art supermarket … and the opportunity to shop at Target.”
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #1733
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Did you note the worlds fancyiest safeway with underground parking.
Yeah, I noticed a lot of interesting projects on that list.
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #1734
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 824

Quote:
Well guys, I have some encouraging news.
Mr. John Voneiff of ArcWheeler just e-mailed me concerning 10 IH.
You know there was a published report by the BBJ that 10 IH would be a 650 ft. tall tower now and not 715 ft. Well, that's N-O-T true!

Here is his response:

"This is a miss quote - the building is to be no less than 650 and no more than 800 feet - nothing in this reguard has changes. right now it is about 700.

Best

John
"

Sounds very good to me! We're in the 700 ft. range again!!
This is where you can tell who in this forum is an optimist and who is a pessimist. I'm taking the optimistic route. I think this monster is going to top out at exactly 751 feet, 6 inches!

I'll tell you all, the quality of journalism in this town has plummeted. Now I don't claim to have perfect diction and my spelling has a lot to be desired, but I don't write for a living. You would think that the pros would get it right. They have Mondawmin in East Baltimore, State Center in East Baltimore, the wrong height for this building, and many of the graphics displayed with various articles are simply incorrect. Even the article about Inner Harbor East in the Sun last Sunday stated, and I quote:

"The more-than $500 million neighborhood will have 400-some apartments, nearly 300 condos, seven hotels, parking for almost 4,000 cars, a seven-screen movie theater, two spas, a gym with four indoor pools and plenty of restaurants where a dinner for two will easily push well beyond $100."

Now I ask, how on earth can Inner Harbor East be a $500 million neighborhood when the Four Seasons/Legg Mason towers alone cost $550 million? The cost of the neighborhood is more like $2 Billion plus. I suppose technically, their statement is correct. But it is sort of like saying someone who is 6 feet tall is “more than 2 feet high”. For crap like this to be published, the inaccuracies have to get past both the reporter and the editor. Don’t they read their own papers?

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 9th, 2007 at 01:47 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #1735
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
I find Baltimore, despite all of its problems, to be a very comfortable, even cozy, city to live in. You might read in that a little nostalgia for the past, and I guess I do have that as I love to read local histories of the city, but I appreciate the new development from an economic perspective.

I spent the first 20 years of my life split between rural upstate New York and New York City. I found strong points in both. High school in New York City is an amazing experience, perhaps the best cultural immersion in the world, and the opportunity to do research in some of New York's great institutions -- Columbia, Rockefeller, NYU, Cooper Union. I found lots of neat hang-outs, particularly in the East Village and around NYU in the city. Yet what I always yearned for was a little quiet in the city, a retreat, if you will. Just walking to Woodberry or Hampden on a winter morning is such a retreat. You lose the bustle of the harbor and find yourself exploring little alleys, an old mill building, or the park. It's really quiet. And it's often beautiful. Baltimore has a nice mix of rural and urban, and for that I cherish it.
yeah it always shocks me how rural the Jones Falls Valley becomes north of 28th Street. It almost goes from city to small town to rural in just a mile. Clipper Mill is so awesome too. My firm did one of the office spaces in the Assembly building there and i'm telling you, just standing in one of the those 3feet deep brick window sills and seeing at this huge forested hill with a trail winding up it was just crazy. Plus there's a balcony in the middle of the office that over looks the creek that runs directly through the building. wow
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #1736
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
This is where you can tell who in this forum is an optimist and who is a pessimist. I'm taking the optimistic route. I think this monster is going to top out at exactly 751 feet, 6 inches!

I'll tell you all, the quality of journalism in this town has plummeted. Now I don't claim to have perfect diction and my spelling has a lot to be desired, but I don't write for a living. You would think that the pros would get it right. They have Mondawmin in East Baltimore, State Center in East Baltimore, the wrong height for this building, and many of the graphics displayed with various articles are simply incorrect. Even the article about Inner Harbor East in the Sun last Sunday stated, and I quote:

"The more-than $500 million neighborhood will have 400-some apartments, nearly 300 condos, seven hotels, parking for almost 4,000 cars, a seven-screen movie theater, two spas, a gym with four indoor pools and plenty of restaurants where a dinner for two will easily push well beyond $100."

Now I ask, how on earth can Inner Harbor East be a $500 million neighborhood when the Four Seasons/Legg Mason towers alone cost $550 million? The cost of the neighborhood is more like $2 Billion plus. I suppose technically, their statement is correct. But it is sort of like saying someone who is 6 feet tall is “more than 2 feet high”. For crap like this to be published, the inaccuracies have to get past both the reporter and the editor. Don’t they read their own papers?
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #1737
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Commission OKs Mondawmin redevelopment plans
JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
March 9, 2007
General Growth Properties Inc.’s plans for a multimillion redevelopment of Baltimore’s Mondawmin Mall received final design approval Thursday from the city Planning Commission.

The Chicago-based real estate investment trust announced early last year its plans to renovate the 50-year-old shopping center, which sits at the junction of Gwynns Falls Parkway and Reisterstown Road in Northwest Baltimore. Plans call for the rehabilitation of the existing mall and construction of more than 230,000 square feet of commercial space. Reconfigured landscaping and better pedestrian access, including a walkway around the mall, will also be included.

General Growth has already broken ground on a 68,000-square-foot grocery store and would begin construction this summer on the mall itself, said H. Granvel Tate III, General Growth’s director of urban land development. A 127,000-square-foot Target store is expected to break ground sometime this fall.

Other construction will include a 25,000-square-foot “junior box” reserved for an apparel tenant and two restaurants. Tate declined to say whether Shoppers Food & Pharmacy and Marshalls, rumored Mondawmin tenants, have signed on to the project.

“”It’s something we’re happy about,” he said after receiving approvals from the Planning Commission. “The city and the community have worked so well with us throughout this entire project.

“We’re excited to give the community the kind of services that they’re asking for.”

City Councilwoman Belinda Conaway, who represents the area around Mondawmin Mall, said the redeveloped mall will provide a financial boost to the surrounding neighborhood, which has suffered from a lack of commercial investment.

“We’re looking forward … to all the economic growth it will bring,” Conaway said.

Mondawmin was developed in the mid-1950s by The Rouse Co., the Maryland company that sold itself in 2004 to General Growth.

“It was a pretty cutting edge back then,” said Thomas H. Maddux, president of Towson-based KLNB Retail. “I think the mall has always been successful, and it’s always been well located.”

The mall has never had trouble keeping tenants or selling merchandise, according to Maddux. But some perceive the mall as troubled because it has physically deteriorated over time, he said. Maddux said he thinks General Growth’s investment will bring the mall increased success.

With Mondawmin’s proximity to a subway line, major roads, Coppin State University and two high schools, it is well positioned to draw a diverse array of shoppers.

“What’s happened is that a lot of people who live in that area have had to travel to the suburbs to meet their retail needs,” Maddux said. “I think that community has been waiting for those retail opportunities. They want a state-of-the-art supermarket … and the opportunity to shop at Target.”
They should have tore the mall down and built a la Towne Centre with office and residential. This is like putting a small band-aid on 6 inch knife wound.
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #1738
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

though i'm not sold on the design, i felt like 10 Inner Harbor was similar not to the buildings in the southeast, but to the hancock tower in boston. though the tower is plain, it really is a beacon in the boston skyline and reflects all of the warm brick and mortar tones from the city.

my biggest beef with the baltimore tower is its location. i'm just afraid it's going to skew the skyline for those coming from the south.

i'm actually hoping that the tower gets taller and more slender at the top. it needs to be graceful if it's going to be in that location!

i read the urbanite article. while i'm all for the conventional city grid, baltimore has a knack for turned/angled buildings, wedges and pyramidss.

just look at them all...several buildings, including the shraton? are tured around conway street, we have wedge shaped buildings (250 west pratt) and lots of pyramids and triangles (aquarium, alex brown bldg, etc).

i think there is some precedent for that tower being turned, plus that might help it related back towards the CBD alittle bit and will keep some of the view open from the south towards the north!
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #1739
Naterpotater

It's Ok....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
Where was National Harbor on that? It's in PG county. hmmm...well that's kind of an insult since I'm working on that one.
I am sorry to see that it was not on the big list, but at least you got a picture in the first article!! I grew up in the most overlooked county in the state, basically because it is not a development mecca, AND it is part of the Mississippi Watershed. There are a lot of things going on there development-wise also that equal or are greater in square footage to a lot of these projects, but as usual, it was overlooked as being part of Maryland because it is not in the Baltimore-Washington Metro Area. On another note, I jsut want to declare that I LOVE my city of Baltimore. It has been my adopted home for almost 10 years (MT. Vernon for 4) and it has been amazing to see all the changes. Neighborhoods that terrified me when I first came here are now great places to live! It is great to see so many people concerned about the city and what goes on to keep it going and become even greater.
Naterpotater no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1740
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Driving down Boston St. this morning I noticed two big City planning/development signs up at the proposed site of the Icon. All I could catch as I drove by were the words "Urban Renewal" in big letters. Anyone else see these?

Closed Thread