daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #1741
BaltimoreDeb

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Developments I'm curious about:

Greektown KSI team and all...

Canton Crossing Condos/apartments office building...

One Light Street..., yeah, I know.

BCCC site with it's high-rise proposal...

Anything new on 300 East Pratt Street...

The whole, "New Arena Rumor Thingy"...

The Greektown/KSI project was covered in an earlier post, was it on Development News 19? It's slated to begin in the spring.

The property right next to the Greektown project, at 900 Oldham, is underway - Ryan Homes is offering a slew of garage townhomes - not sure how many yet, they are just getting their pre-construction trailer set up. The development is called Athena Square. It does not yet appear on Ryan Homes' web site.

BaltimoreDeb no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #1742
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naterpotater View Post
I am sorry to see that it was not on the big list, but at least you got a picture in the first article!! I grew up in the most overlooked county in the state, basically because it is not a development mecca, AND it is part of the Mississippi Watershed. There are a lot of things going on there development-wise also that equal or are greater in square footage to a lot of these projects, but as usual, it was overlooked as being part of Maryland because it is not in the Baltimore-Washington Metro Area. On another note, I jsut want to declare that I LOVE my city of Baltimore. It has been my adopted home for almost 10 years (MT. Vernon for 4) and it has been amazing to see all the changes. Neighborhoods that terrified me when I first came here are now great places to live! It is great to see so many people concerned about the city and what goes on to keep it going and become even greater.
I've been meaning to point out that Maryland Daily Record is very Baltimore centric. If they're a media source claiming to promote the state then they should have equal representation and a bipartisan view. National Harbor is a $4 billion investment, the largest in the state and on the East Coast, perhaps even the country. Showing a picture of it but not listing it as the biggest project leaves their content very questionable.

There were a lot of projects I was expecting to see on that list but didn't Walmarts did not come to mind. They need to do a little more research.
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #1743
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

look very similar
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #1744
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

It is actually titled The Daily Record and it's target audience is the Baltimore Business community, specifically, the legal community. It is not ment to be a state wide publication. They only use MD in thier web site because, as one might imagine, there are lots of "Daily Record" newspapers in the world and the domain "dailyrecord.com" was already taken.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #1745
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Freedom of speech. Whether you agree with him or not he has this right. The worst things he has done are using bad grammar and saying the same thing over and over again without backing any of it up. Disagreeing and/or bashing other peoples ideas over and over again is not.. its well within his rights.

The worse thing he has called someone.. A Maryland/Baltimore-Hater. At this point he has been called a sociopath, a douche, and an a-hole... Maybe his grammar will make a claim at his age, but dont these types of responses do the same??

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with anything he has said or his techniques. I'm just saying, lets keep it civil.

And harlem.. you have to give suggestions.. add a positive element to what you write. Even when you mention something you don't like or agree with, it would help if you were more specific, rather than just saying everything sucks in general or say a place like Atlanta or Houston is better in general... By all means, explain how things can be made better.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1746
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
It is actually titled The Daily Record and it's target audience is the Baltimore Business community, specifically, the legal community. It is not ment to be a state wide publication. They only use MD in thier web site because, as one might imagine, there are lots of "Daily Record" newspapers in the world and the domain "dailyrecord.com" was already taken.
Well according to them they're...

Quote:
Maryland Daily Record
A daily statewide source for business and legal news in Maryland. Articles, public notices, and calendar. Full access requires subscription.
www.mddailyrecord.com/ - 25k - Mar 7, 2007
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #1747
House3780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
look very similar
Throw a hat on anything and its a Baltimore original
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1748
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreDeb View Post
The Greektown/KSI project was covered in an earlier post, was it on Development News 19? It's slated to begin in the spring.
THIS SPRING??? and still no rendering? something's wrong with that picture. spring's literally around the corner.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #1749
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreDeb View Post
THIS SPRING??? and they still don't have a rendering? something's wrong with that picture. spring's literally around the corner.
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #1750
drewbwhite

Likes (Received): 2

Freedom of speech does not apply to private forums. Harlem would be best off reading the rules, notably these segments. I'm certain there are grounds by which he could be banned if anyone wanted to keep him out:

*This forum and its server are private property. You're here only because you're invited to be here. We can revoke that invitation at any time for any reason, or no reason at all.

*No posting intentionally inciteful commentary... Personal attacks, Trolling, Flaming, overt negativity, baiting, etc. This rule is especially applicative of forumers who hijack or troll a thread/local forum, basically just to bash the topic or participants of the thread/local forum.

*No Spamming...repeated posts or threads, just because one can. (Note that forumers who wish to place a post or thread in multiple places can do so in no more than two forums total in SSC. If that is in two subforums of the same region, in two different regionals, or once in a regional and once in a World SSC forum is up to you.)

* No City vs City threads of any kind, be it by direct comparison, implied comparison, or by way of a thread drifting off-topic.
drewbwhite no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #1751
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

City defends seizing restaurant
'Quick take' frees block for developers in Charles North

By Jill Rosen
Sun reporter
Originally published March 9, 2007

After rebuking Baltimore's economic development tactics twice in recent months, Maryland's highest court continued yesterday to scrutinize the city's policies for taking private property.

Baltimore defended its seizure of the former Chesapeake Restaurant, saying the owner's refusal to sell was scuttling a $50 million renovation of the Charles North area. The property's owner, however, argued the city erred by seizing the property through a process known as "quick take" -- a sped-up version of eminent domain that Baltimore favors. The court ruled last month that it should be saved for instances of real urgency.

"I think the city missed the boat when it comes to satisfying the requirements to use quick take," said Alan R. Engel, the attorney for Chesapeake owner Robert Sapero. "We don't have a threat to public safety, and we don't have a hold-out situation. "You're talking about cutting off the rights of private citizens for the benefit of the government."

After years of friction with Sapero, in December 2005 the city seized the long-shuttered restaurant space on North Charles Street, a few doors down from the popular Charles Theatre and about a block from Pennsylvania Station.

That September, although Sapero said he was about to sell the property, the city had promised the Chesapeake to a team of private developers with a $50 million plan to turn the quiet end of the block into a complex of condominiums, townhomes, artists lofts, shops, restaurants, a parking garage and an art gallery.

The next month, Baltimore's Board of Estimates approved the quick-take seizure, offering Sapero $770,000, even though Sapero, who bought the restaurant in 1986, said he had a contract with someone for $2 million. "Mr. Sapero had made repeated comments about how he was getting a restaurant in and fixing it up, and none of that ever happened," Baltimore Development Corp. President M.J. "Jay" Brodie said at the time. "While the area's getting better, this building is not getting better, and we thought it was more than time to move ahead from the city's point of view."

This is the third time in five months that the Court of Appeals has considered cases challenging key aspects of Baltimore's strategy for neighborhood revitalization. In the two earlier cases, the court came down hard against the city, issuing blunt rulings that forced Baltimore officials to change some policies and reconsider others. In November, the court ruled that the Baltimore Development Corp. must open its books and meetings and behave as a public body. That challenge stemmed from a group of west-side shop owners who said the agency's closed-door ways kept them from fairly fighting the city's seizure of their property for the superblock redevelopment effort.

Just a month ago, the court bluntly criticized Baltimore's reliance on quick take -- a decision that could sway the outcome of the Chesapeake Restaurant challenge. The court found the city lacked any good, immediate reason to use quick-take to seize a Charles North bar for a revitalization plan that didn't even exist. It was the first time the courts had blocked a quick take.

The bar owner, George Valsamaki, complained that the quick take process was so fast that it left no time for his attorneys to use the discovery period of the suit to gather information to defend his case. Although one judge questioned whether Sapero's pending sale of the restaurant was merely "a sham contract to drive up the appraisal," the court yesterday seemed sympathetic to Sapero's difficulty in building a case on the quick-take timeline.

"In this case, there was almost no opportunity for discovery," Judge Alan M. Wilner said. "Why isn't the property owner entitled to discovery?" City attorney Elva E. Tillman argued that Sapero could have gotten the information if he had asked for it. Judge Dale R. Cathell joked to Tillman that if getting information from the BDC was so easy, who needed the court's recent ruling forcing the agency to open its books?

"We went through all that aggravation [for nothing]?" Cathell said, as others in the courtroom laughed. Wilner added: "You can't get public information, and now you're telling us you can't get discovery either." Tillman insisted that the Chesapeake case, despite its similarities with quick take, "is not the Valsamaki case." For one thing, she said, the city had a solid development plan and needed only this property to begin.

The judges, however, pushed Tillman to explain why the city waited 18 months after receiving the authority to use eminent domain to actually seize the restaurant. "Why do you wait 18 months unless you're doing it as a litigation tool -- which we said in Valsamaki was improper?" Cathell asked.

Tillman, apparently growing frustrated with the judges' questions about the city's treatment of Sapero, told the court: "It's ridiculous that he can complain and carry on. He's being rewarded for negating the city's ability to develop. "Cathell responded scoldingly: "You say its ridiculous that he can carry on. He's the owner of property that the Constitution protects.

"How is that ridiculous?"

Things don't look good for this project do they?
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #1752
cgunna
2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
The worse thing he has called someone.. A Maryland/Baltimore-Hater.
Nope.

She has called many folks crazed left wing communists.

Or something of the sort.

And like one of the posters pointed out, the whole freedom of speech thing doesn't apply here.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #1753
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
THIS SPRING??? and they still don't have a rendering? something's wrong with that picture. spring's literally around the corner.
Someone has to remind me why we don't think the original renderings are still what it's going to look like?

The email I received from KSI in December stated: Currently we are in the engineering design and approvals stage which
continues to move well. This spring we will begin the demolition of the structures on the site in order to start the earthwork for site development.

I walk my dog in that direction at least once a week. I will know almost immediately when there is anything happening to the site.
pepperjack no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #1754
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Throw a hat on anything and its a Baltimore original
i dunno. i think i'd rather see a cornice (hat) rather thn no finishing element at all. at least it'll hide whatever hvac and rooftop anteannas are on top. the lighthouse on top of harborview is not a decorative piece...it conceals part of the buildings mechanicals that have to be rooftop. for your other option (mechanicals on roftops without a cornice), look at the treamont plaza in midtown...perhaps the ugliest building in town. the big condenser on top doesn't help any!
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #1755
House3780

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbwhite View Post
Freedom of speech does not apply to private forums. Harlem would be best off reading the rules, notably these segments. I'm certain there are grounds by which he could be banned if anyone wanted to keep him out:

*This forum and its server are private property. You're here only because you're invited to be here. We can revoke that invitation at any time for any reason, or no reason at all.

*No posting intentionally inciteful commentary... Personal attacks, Trolling, Flaming, overt negativity, baiting, etc. This rule is especially applicative of forumers who hijack or troll a thread/local forum, basically just to bash the topic or participants of the thread/local forum.

*No Spamming...repeated posts or threads, just because one can. (Note that forumers who wish to place a post or thread in multiple places can do so in no more than two forums total in SSC. If that is in two subforums of the same region, in two different regionals, or once in a regional and once in a World SSC forum is up to you.)

* No City vs City threads of any kind, be it by direct comparison, implied comparison, or by way of a thread drifting off-topic.
Hes done none of those things.

His posting his anti business thing over and over again is no different than someone posting i hope 10h is 800 feet tall over and over again. he has never attacked anyone personally. its been the opposite.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #1756
House3780

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
Nope.

She has called many folks crazed left wing communists.

Or something of the sort.

And like one of the posters pointed out, the whole freedom of speech thing doesn't apply here.
a-hole, douche, sociopath.. these are actual personal attacks. do the people who said these things deserve to be banned?
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1757
House3780

Just as he has the right to express himself within the rules, yall have the right to ignore.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #1758
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperjack View Post
Someone has to remind me why we don't think the original renderings are still what it's going to look like?

The email I received from KSI in December stated: Currently we are in the engineering design and approvals stage which
continues to move well. This spring we will begin the demolition of the structures on the site in order to start the earthwork for site development.

I walk my dog in that direction at least once a week. I will know almost immediately when there is anything happening to the site.

this is the original rendering. this is way back when ed hale/KSI were going to team together on this project. the project would've had four 14-story towers full of condos and apartments and a ton of townhomes.

now, ed hale & ksi has parted ways, but the townhome component of the project is still there, and the height of the buildings have changed to two 23-story towers and two 14-story towers. there's still no rendering for this.
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #1759
cgunna
2A

Quote:
a-hole, douche, sociopath.. these are actual personal attacks. do the people who said these things deserve to be banned?
Thats not the point.

All I said was the poster has said worse things than you tried to portray.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #1760
Baltimoreguy

Likes (Received): 0

Why can"t we all just get along

Maybe we should stop the bickering. Stop the political posts etc. This is a forum for Baltimore development and Skyscrapers. Keep the topics to that. Just ignore the post you don't like repsonding to them just makes the person want to post more. You are free to say what you want in the forum, just be nice about it. If you want the person to go away and stop posting don't give in to them and respond to their post. I do have one complaint though. Can;t people keep the number of post down. It is impossible to follow anything with this incessant posting. If you want to add something you missed go back and edit your post. It is very easy. you can even add a picture to a previous post.
Baltimoreguy no está en línea  

Closed Thread