daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1761
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

BWI struggles as international magnet

Rita Chappelle, The Examiner
Read more by Rita Chappelle
Mar 9, 2007 3:00 AM (11 hrs ago)
Current rank: # 40 of 22,289 articles

BALTIMORE - As the state of Maryland explores ways to fill the nearly 50 percent vacant World Trade Center in downtown Baltimore, area economists suggest that without the expansion of more nonstop international flights out of Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, the outlook is dim.

“The failure of the state to be able to recruit and retain a strong international presence is closely linked to the failure of BWI to offer nonstop international flights to major business hubs in Europe,” said Anirhan Basu, of the Sage Policy Group.

At present, BWI has nine international destinations, mostly to tourist sites. Only three destinations are major international business centers— London, Mexico City and Toronto. In comparison, Cincinnati's airport has 18 daily nonstop international flights to Rome; Paris; Amsterdam, the Netherlands; Frankfurt, Germany; London; Mexico City; and most of Canada.

“BWI works continually with airlines to boost international opportunities, meeting with more than 30 airline carriers in marketing BWI as an international hub,” said Jonathan Dean a spokesman for the airport. “Last year, more than 675,110 passengers flew out of BWI on international flights, a 4.8 percent increase from the year before, and we are about to resume flights to Iceland this week and Greenland at the end of May.”

Despite these additions, the task has been quite daunting. For years the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development has struggled to promote Baltimore as a premier locale for international business, despite an aggressive marketing team and offices in China and other international locations, Basu said.

“The problem is that Baltimore’s economic history has focused on domestic trade, despite its natural resources, which includes the Port of Baltimore,” Basu said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World Trade Center nearly half empty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We have 11 offices in nine countries around the world,” said Nancy Wallace, director of International Operations for DBED. “In 2006, we presented to more than 200 companies in Latin America and we have had presentations in all of our offices around the world, and reached out to businesses in Italy and Turkey.”

“Last year we attracted 11 new international businesses to Maryland, and we are hoping to get 15 more this year,” she said. “On a monthly basis, we entertain two new companies a month.”

Basu is not sure what more the state can do.

“As economists, we had hoped the airport would have helped bring in more of an international presence,” Basu said. “The reality is that we have formidable competitors in Cincinnati, Dulles and Philadelphia and it will be difficult to wrestle away a market share from these incumbents.”

[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #1762
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post

this is the original rendering. this is way back when ed hale/KSI were going to team together on this project. the project would've had four 14-story towers full of condos and apartments and a ton of townhomes.

now, ed hale & ksi has parted ways, but the townhome component of the project is still there, and the height of the buildings have changed to two 23-story towers and two 14-story towers. there's still no rendering for this.
I was thinking more along the lines of a link to an article? I know what everyone posted about the development, I just didn't know if there was an official write up posted that I missed.

Pehaps they just increased the hight without changing the look of the buildings and didn't feel the need to release a drawing with esentially the same thing????
pepperjack no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #1763
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Unfortunately, I was excited when I saw all the new posts since I had been on here yesterday, thinking something major had broke development wise. I was disappointed to see it was only Harlem posting the same crap over and over about nothing that no one even reads.

Harlem, I think I agree with you for the most part, but I can't stand the way you go about it or the way your points are made. If you would just tone it down and be more sensible I think you could be a great contributor on here with some different ideas.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #1764
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 123

I heard 158 townhouses

to start this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
THIS SPRING??? and they still don't have a rendering? something's wrong with that picture. spring's literally around the corner.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #1765
SoBoChris
7th generation SoBoean

Likes (Received): 226

Is it just me, or was the picture of Bowmore just a little too exciting??? Sooo close but no cigar.
SoBoChris no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #1766
scottbbfm

Harlem doesn't call anyone names? These are all direct quotes from his past posts. I think there are a couple rules broken. I think the worst thing about Harlem is that he takes people's statements, and tells them what they are thinking. That's not exactly giving an opinion. That's an attack just the same.

While your being a shit head; your only proving me correct that corrupt politics and Maryland hating backwards country southern hicks have been trying to prevent Baltimore from being competative against Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Philly, and Boston.

Go Slam your ****** head on some bricks, that might help your thinking process.

You can do whatveer study to completement your Bull Shit theory but it won't change the fact that you people are a bunch of Maryland hating country hicks that want to sabatoge any/every form of Business/Economic/Revenue Growth in Maryland while trying to erase the Ugly Coloniel Stigma that Virginia represented for generations by trying to make Virginia look like some watered down version of Los Angelas(Orange County) and New York(Long Island).

Dude Shut The **** Up Already!

You just don't want Maryland to extend the Green Line Subway because you people are scared that it will make Maryland more competative against Virginia's Business/Economic/Revenue Growth.

You people for the past few years have been trying to find ways to steal people away from using the BWI Airport which is why Dullles added SW Airlines to their Airport.

You just don't want Maryland to extend the Green Line Subway because you people are scared that it will make Maryland more competative against Virginia's Business/Economic/Revenue Growth.

You people for the past few years have been trying to find ways to steal people away from using the BWI Airport which is why Dullles added SW Airlines to their Airport.

The hell are you talking about, you are a Maryland hating Good Ol' Boy that got lucky with some money.

I think the other reason why you hate Maryland because it is not as southern and less ethnic as Virginia.

Playing the delussional dumbass again.........................

This dude is not only a Maryland Basher but he/she is delusional too.
Until Laurel gets a Nordtroms, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord and Taylors, Bloomingdales and other Upscale stores that are popular in Tysons Corner, VA then Laurel has NOT built enough RETAIL.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #1767
harlem87
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
OK! I have taken wadaguy's scheme of playing amish and shunning, I have bitten my tongue (errr. or finger, as it were), what else can I do? Mason tried to block said jackass and still gets frustrated...: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET SOMEONE BANNED??!!. Just my humble thoughts, but I'm soooooo tired of all of the crap he/she posts (if not only for the incoherent grammar, sentence structure, etc.)! Well the grammar/structure part was just about being bitchy.
Its obvious that this clown doesn't know the definition of Making personal Threats and using Scare Tactics for Intimidation in which is wrong on several levels.
harlem87 no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #1768
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
They should have tore the mall down and built a la Towne Centre with office and residential. This is like putting a small band-aid on 6 inch knife wound.
Soo basically your saying that they should build a mixed-use office development in the expence of tearing down the Only Upscale Mall along the US 29 Corridor.

You do not make alot of sense and makes one question your morals on encouraging Business/Economic/Revenue Growth for Maryland.

Again I say your no different from the people you call anti-growth for not supporting Office Growth but in your case you are anti-Upscale Retail and possibly support forcing more Maryland tax payers to travel out of state(most likely to Virginia because of Tysons Corner) and help their Econmy/Revenue Grow while Maryland's Economic/Revenue Shrinks.
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #1769
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
Thats not the point.

All I said was the poster has said worse things than you tried to portray.
Your just mad that I know the truth of the people who make negative remarks about improving Business/Economic/Revenue Growth for Baltimore as Baltimore/Maryland Haters.

When people who can't handle the truth resort to making threats and use scare tactics to intimidate the person they don't agree with.
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #1770
harlem87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
Harlem doesn't call anyone names? These are all direct quotes from his past posts. I think there are a couple rules broken. I think the worst thing about Harlem is that he takes people's statements, and tells them what they are thinking. That's not exactly giving an opinion. That's an attack just the same.

While your being a shit head; your only proving me correct that corrupt politics and Maryland hating backwards country southern hicks have been trying to prevent Baltimore from being competative against Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Philly, and Boston.

Go Slam your ****** head on some bricks, that might help your thinking process.

You can do whatveer study to completement your Bull Shit theory but it won't change the fact that you people are a bunch of Maryland hating country hicks that want to sabatoge any/every form of Business/Economic/Revenue Growth in Maryland while trying to erase the Ugly Coloniel Stigma that Virginia represented for generations by trying to make Virginia look like some watered down version of Los Angelas(Orange County) and New York(Long Island).

The hell are you talking about, you are a Maryland hating Good Ol' Boy that got lucky with some money.

I think the other reason why you hate Maryland because it is not as southern and less ethnic as Virginia.

Playing the delussional dumbass again.........................

This dude is not only a Maryland Basher but he/she is delusional too.
Until Laurel gets a Nordtroms, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord and Taylors, Bloomingdales and other Upscale stores that are popular in Tysons Corner, VA then Laurel has NOT built enough RETAIL.
Now point out where I made any personal THREATS to any of the posters????
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #1771
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

Two things:

1. NO more development on 29 before the Beltway UNLESS they make it 8 lanes (especially in MoCo) and have some ramps/flyovers in place of some of the signals. The commute down 29 is as bad as it gets. Many days it's a virtual parking lot. I can't fathom how a major commute route like 29 gets to be as narrow as 2 lanes in so many places.

2. Harlem, what button/icon/emoticon do you use to get "Business/Economic/Revenue" in your posts? Or do you have it saved in a Word document or something that you just paste in your posts.
gohorns no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #1772
scottbbfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
Now point out where I made any personal THREATS to any of the posters????
Didn't say you made personal threats. I said you were name-calling which is an UPSCALE way of stating you are personally attacking people. Clearly people don't like it and you are infringing on their right to have a meaningful conversation.

BTW, if you think MD is so anti-business, why don't run for office and change some things. Post your resume on here, and because you really seem to want MD to start gaining ground on Atlanta, Charlotte, and NOVA, I'm sure people on here would get right behind you and support you from the get-go. You do know what a resume is, right? Just in case, its an upscale way of self-promotion. Things like where you went to college (you did go to college didn't you? Your posts show such overwhelming insight, I'm just making a fairly safe assumption) past jobs, etc.

I'm sure you won't take me up on my suggestion so I'll save you the time of actually having to type out your response.....

Your just a maryland redneck showing you're stupidity. what you said just proves your anti business. until maryland gets some upscale stores like tysons corner, charlotte, atlanta, its going to stay redneck.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #1773
micrip

Likes (Received): 1069

Years ago I read and posted regularly to a group devoted to the Orioles. Then someone came along and started posting crap and making personal attacks. It wasn't long before I decided (along with a lot of the others) that it just wasn't worth visiting anymore.

I'm not saying this board is quite there yet, but the signs are there.

Just ignore this person...if we stop providing entertainment, then they might go away...
micrip no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #1774
Baltimoreguy

I think I will just avoid the forums until all this stupid bickering stops. I come here for news and chat about development. Not to go thru post after post about threats abusive posts etc. Take this crap somewhere else. This ruins it for everyone. Keep to the topics. I am really get sick of this. I guess I will start posting on other sites and just avoid this one if this continues.
Baltimoreguy no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #1775
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
BWI struggles as international magnet

Rita Chappelle, The Examiner
Read more by Rita Chappelle
Mar 9, 2007 3:00 AM (11 hrs ago)
Current rank: # 40 of 22,289 articles

BALTIMORE - As the state of Maryland explores ways to fill the nearly 50 percent vacant World Trade Center in downtown Baltimore, area economists suggest that without the expansion of more nonstop international flights out of Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, the outlook is dim.

“The failure of the state to be able to recruit and retain a strong international presence is closely linked to the failure of BWI to offer nonstop international flights to major business hubs in Europe,” said Anirhan Basu, of the Sage Policy Group.

At present, BWI has nine international destinations, mostly to tourist sites. Only three destinations are major international business centers— London, Mexico City and Toronto. In comparison, Cincinnati's airport has 18 daily nonstop international flights to Rome; Paris; Amsterdam, the Netherlands; Frankfurt, Germany; London; Mexico City; and most of Canada.

“BWI works continually with airlines to boost international opportunities, meeting with more than 30 airline carriers in marketing BWI as an international hub,” said Jonathan Dean a spokesman for the airport. “Last year, more than 675,110 passengers flew out of BWI on international flights, a 4.8 percent increase from the year before, and we are about to resume flights to Iceland this week and Greenland at the end of May.”

Despite these additions, the task has been quite daunting. For years the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development has struggled to promote Baltimore as a premier locale for international business, despite an aggressive marketing team and offices in China and other international locations, Basu said.

“The problem is that Baltimore’s economic history has focused on domestic trade, despite its natural resources, which includes the Port of Baltimore,” Basu said.

World Trade Center nearly half empty

“We have 11 offices in nine countries around the world,” said Nancy Wallace, director of International Operations for DBED. “In 2006, we presented to more than 200 companies in Latin America and we have had presentations in all of our offices around the world, and reached out to businesses in Italy and Turkey.”

“Last year we attracted 11 new international businesses to Maryland, and we are hoping to get 15 more this year,” she said. “On a monthly basis, we entertain two new companies a month.”

Basu is not sure what more the state can do.

“As economists, we had hoped the airport would have helped bring in more of an international presence,” Basu said. “The reality is that we have formidable competitors in Cincinnati, Dulles and Philadelphia and it will be difficult to wrestle away a market share from these incumbents.”

[email protected]
Part of this problem stems from the fact that BWI is run by the state which has done a terrible job of marketing the airport. For one thing, BWI should have billboards along I 95 letting passers by know what international options they have. New airlines should be given 3 months of free advertising in newspapers, magazines, and billboards highlighting the new service. Most people don't even know that BWI is a viable international hub. They have to do a better job of getting the word out. Secondly, we're sandwiched between Dulles and Philadelphia and that kind of hurts us in attracting new business but British Airways flies to all three cities and they do well. BWI will never be what Dulles is but I think there is room to grow. If they could land a nonstop to Frankfurt or Amsterdam while sustaining the service we already have, more airlines would take notice. When we lure a new international carrier and they pull up stakes after two years (Aer Lingus) or go bankrupt (Ghana Airways) it has a more negative effect than if they had never served BWI in the first place. I travel alot for business and BWI is a great airport but they key is getting the word out while sustaining our current international carriers.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #1776
k25150

Likes (Received): 419

I agree. State ownership of BWI is bad business. Rents and landing fees are cheaper at BWI yet they still can't build the international business. They claimed that adding "Washington" to the name will help market the airport. I don't see the results. Southwest is expected to go international soon. That may be the only way BWI will add international flights.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #1777
BaltimoreDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperjack View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of a link to an article? I know what everyone posted about the development, I just didn't know if there was an official write up posted that I missed.

Pehaps they just increased the hight without changing the look of the buildings and didn't feel the need to release a drawing with esentially the same thing????
I have been looking and Googling, including on the KSI web site, but nothing official yet. I don't think it will show up until they actually get underway. I'll be the first or the second to see it, as we drive by there on our way to 895, whenever we're staying at our rowhouse, which is every week or two . . .

This weekend I'll check out the Ryan Homes site, at 900 Oldham, and see if they have previews and prices ready yet.
BaltimoreDeb no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #1778
Naterpotater

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
Soo basically your saying that they should build a mixed-use office development in the expence of tearing down the Only Upscale Mall along the US 29 Corridor.

You do not make alot of sense and makes one question your morals on encouraging Business/Economic/Revenue Growth for Maryland.

Again I say your no different from the people you call anti-growth for not supporting Office Growth but in your case you are anti-Upscale Retail and possibly support forcing more Maryland tax payers to travel out of state(most likely to Virginia because of Tysons Corner) and help their Econmy/Revenue Grow while Maryland's Economic/Revenue Shrinks.
Isn't that the same style that would be at Reston Town Center then?? Since everything is so great there, why not create a shopping center like that with the same "upscale" shopping as the retail part...
Naterpotater no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #1779
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

HELLO, Everyone!!!

Nice to meet each and every one of you. I've been a viewer of this site for some time now, and I just decided to have the courage to join. I am truly glad to be a part pf this wonderful site.

I love Baltimore's development thread because of the mutual respect that you guys have for one another (with the exception of that Harlem character). You guys may not agree with each other's posts, but overall, the mutual respect is generally there. Again, I'm glad to be a part of this.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1780
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

welcome!
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  

Closed Thread