daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:25 PM   #161
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

^ The city just repaved Charles south of the monument a few years ago. the stretch north of the monument really needs work. I know the city plans to redo the streetscape along Calvert and St. Paul Streets. Not sure about plans for the stretch of Charles north of the monument though.
waj0527 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM   #162
waj0527

Sorry about flooding the boards today, but I wanted to share these renderings of 701 E. Baltimore Street. I dont think I've seen these posted on this board. I'm pretty sure these are from the old 'PEZ' model, but I doubt the base will change very much. I wish they did a better job hiding the parking.

waj0527 no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:49 PM   #163
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

They always could do a better job with hiding the parking in this city.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM   #164
getontrac

Does anybody have any renderings of the apartment/condo building that is planned for the 2100 ? block of St. Paul (eastside). It's where those old burned out rowhouses were in the middle of the block they finally demolished. It's fenced off like they're ready to proceed in the near future.

Nate
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM   #165
getontrac

Doesn't the footprint of the new design of the Pez building encompass the Have a Nice Day building? I think we decided that it did in an earlier conversation.

Where's the new rendering?

Nate
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM   #166
Brian21

Yeah, the base of the newer updated rendering looks better, and the parking is hidden.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM   #167
waj0527

Good...thanks. Hiding the parking is great. I hope they maintain the festive signage.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM   #168
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Word has it that Red Emma's bookstore/coffeeshop may open a second location, with a "neighborhood stage," on St. Paul Street, perhaps in one of the churches near the Yabba Pot. I think this could become a nice arts/entertainment strip, especially with the Dept. of Natural Resources and the Lab School nearby. However, that vacant lot does not help add vitality to the area. You know what I'd really like to see? The Federal Bank building on St. Paul become artists' residences or studios. Huge windows, high ceilings... come on, this building would be perfect for such a use.

Charles Street north of Centre and south of North Avenue will be getting a make-over this year according to the downtown partnership. Initial work will begin in February/March, and all aspects of streetscaping will be addressed. This includes street resurfacing. My thinking is that the city will accomplish Centre to Eager St/Chase St. this summer, and will start the next phase in the fall, going to Mount Royal Ave. Then we'll get up to North Ave. From what I've read, the project will take about 18 months to complete. I think some street utilities will be fixed, so in the interim, the road surface will become even worse. Better to do it now then dig up new asphalt after it's been laid down.

There are plans to re-do Charles all the way to 33rd Street eventually. This involves some long-term planning, as the 29th - 33rd street area needs to be fully re-thought to better manage traffic and pedestrian needs. My Hopkins friends call that stretch of road the "valley of death," because it is such an antiquated design. Hopefully some of the old Olmstead charm will stay...
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #169
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
Word has it that Red Emma's bookstore/coffeeshop may open a second location, with a "neighborhood stage," on St. Paul Street, perhaps in one of the churches near the Yabba Pot. I think this could become a nice arts/entertainment strip, especially with the Dept. of Natural Resources and the Lab School nearby. However, that vacant lot does not help add vitality to the area. You know what I'd really like to see? The Federal Bank building on St. Paul become artists' residences or studios. Huge windows, high ceilings... come on, this building would be perfect for such a use.

Charles Street north of Centre and south of North Avenue will be getting a make-over this year according to the downtown partnership. Initial work will begin in February/March, and all aspects of streetscaping will be addressed. This includes street resurfacing. My thinking is that the city will accomplish Centre to Eager St/Chase St. this summer, and will start the next phase in the fall, going to Mount Royal Ave. Then we'll get up to North Ave. From what I've read, the project will take about 18 months to complete. I think some street utilities will be fixed, so in the interim, the road surface will become even worse. Better to do it now then dig up new asphalt after it's been laid down.

There are plans to re-do Charles all the way to 33rd Street eventually. This involves some long-term planning, as the 29th - 33rd street area needs to be fully re-thought to better manage traffic and pedestrian needs. My Hopkins friends call that stretch of road the "valley of death," because it is such an antiquated design. Hopefully some of the old Olmstead charm will stay...
I guess it should be finished just in time to have it ripped up for the Streetcar line! I call this "Howard Street II - The Sequel".

Last edited by wada_guy; January 22nd, 2007 at 08:32 PM.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM   #170
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

any word on the rubber sidewalks??

Remember a few months ago when the City laid an expermental block of the rebber sidewalk tiles (made from old tires)???

Anyone know if they are going to expand that program? At first I thought they were ugly, but now I think they look kind of nifty. The economical benefits were supposed to be substantial with the things.

For those who have no idea what I am talking about, the new tiles are on 300 E Pratt right infront of where the new tower will be.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:53 PM   #171
Hugh Jaramillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Does anybody have any renderings of the apartment/condo building that is planned for the 2100 ? block of St. Paul (eastside). It's where those old burned out rowhouses were in the middle of the block they finally demolished. It's fenced off like they're ready to proceed in the near future.

Nate
I have a friend who lives across the street and he told me last summer that a developer had purchased the burned down houses, he was in the process of buying the remaining 2 vacant houses, and plans to build townhouses there. However my friend was skeptical because nothing has been done so far even though the burned out houses have been demolished and the plan is for the other 2 houses to go too.
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:01 AM   #172
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Hiring hotel help
Hilton's arrival expected to heighten worker shortage
Baltimore Business Journal - January 19, 2007by Julekha DashStaff

Shirley Weaver vividly remembers her first impression of her employer, the Hyatt Regency Baltimore.

"I had never seen a glass building so tall and so big," she recalls.

Weaver applied for a job there 17 years ago.

"I took a chance and got hired within a week," she said.

She started out as a part-time housekeeper who turned down beds at night. Now a housekeeping supervisor, Weaver said she has stayed in the hotel industry because she likes working with people and has had the chance to move up the hotel ranks and work in different areas.

But not everyone sees an impressive building and a solid career path behind hotel doors. Filling a hotel with workers like Weaver is becoming a bigger challenge in the Baltimore area as new hotels come to town, with positions to fill in everything from front-desk attendants to mid- to-senior level managers.

Hiring will only get tougher with the 757-room convention headquarters Hilton, opening August 2008. The hotel will employ about 550, said Frank Otero, area vice president for Hilton Hotels Corp.

The industry's difficulty in hiring and retaining workers will be the focus of the state's first Hospitality and Workforce Summit on June 23. The hospitality industry suffers from an image problem and that's its biggest challenge in hiring workers, said Robert W. Seurkamp, executive director of the state's work force investment board, which is hosting the conference.

"Some people see it as a dead-end career path," Seurkamp said. Unlike Weaver, many workers do not realize they can move up from the entry-level ranks. The tourism and hospitality industry employs 230,000 in the state, making it one of the top five employers in Maryland.

New hotels, greater competition
Hotel managers will face stiff competition for workers as Baltimore gets new properties. Three new hotels, including a Four Seasons Hotel, are slated for Harbor East. Hampton Inn at Camden Yards opened a 126-room hotel earlier this month. InterContinental Hotels Group PLC will open a 130-room boutique hotel concept, Hotel Indigo, in downtown Baltimore in September.

The total inventory of hotel rooms in the Baltimore area grew by 17 percent from June 2000 to June 2006, according to Smith Travel Research Inc. in Hendersonville, Tenn.

"We're constantly looking for new ideas on how to find qualified workers," said Mary Jo McCulloch, president of the Maryland Hotel & Lodging Association.

Otero said Hilton is working with the city to provide scholarships to high school students interested in hospitality careers.

Employers say what is missing from employees these days are the "soft skills," said Charelle James, executive director of Baltimore's NAF High School, which consists of three publicly funded academies in finance, tourism and information technology. Those skills include teamwork and communication.

The high school, which prepares students for hospitality careers, is getting more requests from hotels. Executives are asking for as many as five students to participate in job-shadow programs.

Plenty of jobs to fill
Maryland's hospitality industry will need to fill about 34,000 jobs each year over the next 20 years, according to a new report prepared on behalf of the state.

The average weekly wage for a hotel worker in Maryland is $660 a week, which includes all workers from the general manager to a housekeeper.

Seurkamp said many of the most sought-after jobs pay more than the $5.25 an hour minimum wage. Janitors and cleaners make, on average, $9 an hour, and cashiers make $8.25 an hour. The average wage for operations managers is $38.75 an hour.

The Tremont Suite Hotels has expanded its employee search to D.C.-area newspapers and Spanish-language publications aimed at Baltimore's growing Latino population, Managing Director Michael Haynie said.

Within the last several months, the Tremont recruited two high-level executives from D.C. to handle sales and marketing and lead human resources, Haynie said.

Given the sheer number of employees at the Hilton, it's inevitable that the hotels in the area will see some employees go over to the new hotel, executives say.

"It's something you can't stop," said Chris Phillips, general manager of the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel, a 707-room hotel that converted from a Wyndham property Jan. 18 and employs 300.

Otero said the Hilton hopes to train new workers to fill the demand for jobs. So far, the hotel has hired sales and marketing staffers. It plans to hire most of its employs in spring 2008, Otero said.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:18 AM   #173
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Someone asked for the rendering of the new Cordish tower?
I'll post both again.

As I understand it, this tower is 100,000 gross sq. feet larger than the original.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:26 AM   #174
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Cornish Tower

Is there any target date set for construction of the Cornish Tower? While I am at it, how about the Four Seasons? That has been stalling for the last two years.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:08 AM   #175
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

I still dont know what the platforms(near the top) are on either of those renderings. Im assuming they are some kind of sky walk.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:12 AM   #176
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Yeah, i have not figured it out quite yet, either.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:53 AM   #177
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

it would be nice if the new tower had some kind of crown or something.
Balmurfan está en línea ahora  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:15 AM   #178
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

You know what could use some work... Gay St. between Lombard and Baltimore streets. Those two blocks are downright scary at times. I know the Water St. tower will do a lot to make that area more lively, but a few more apartment buildings or stores could do a lot to change that forgotten pocket of the city.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:54 PM   #179
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

condo boom

wbff Fox 45 ran a nice story on Monday night about Ritz Carlton,
414 Water Street and Habor East. I was unable to find it on their
web site on Tuesday morning. Maybe someone else might have
better luck than I and find the link to that story and post it
for all to see.
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM   #180
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Someone asked for the rendering of the new Cordish tower?
I'll post both again.

As I understand it, this tower is 100,000 gross sq. feet larger than the original.
Look closely. The base of the structure is now L shaped with a section that goes along Baltimore Street and ends below where the Shot Tower is pictured. That is part of the square footage increase I'm sure.

I think the platrom is for the new condo owners to jump from when they get thier first Baltimore City real estate tax bill.
wada_guy no está en línea  

Closed Thread