daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1821
urbngrth123
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Both OC and Salisbury have small airports. I believe a couple of attempts to start service between Baltimore and OC have been tried, but without success. If such a service could get started, then people could connect to OC thru BWI from all over the country.
Yes as a test run and if becomes popular then they can open connect flights from Philly, Richmond, Raliegh-Durham, and Newark/La Guardia.
urbngrth123 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #1822
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
I'm pretty sure Charlotte's population is less than Baltimore's. They have a population of about 610,000 to Baltimore's 650,000. I have been to Charlotte briefly last year when driving to Atlanta and was amazed to hardly see anyone walking the streets in the so-called financial capital of America. I did like the fact that their downtown traffic was bearable.
I remember meeting someone like 5 or 6 years ago who lived in Charlotte and they were talking about how the city was basically building a downtown from scratch (they call it "uptown") because they didn't really have one at the time. Or at least one of any substance. That's why you see all those building going up there now. It's easy to see why noone would be would be down there because it's all so new. It's not really the cultural heart of the city....those places are probably scattered throughout the area. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens there. I think they're really just creating something from nothing.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #1823
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbngrth123 View Post
I thaught Short Pump was an Indoor Mall and Stony Point was the Outdoor Mall.

I definately agree with the Outdoor Mall being mostly popular in warmer climate areas, Miami is a wonderful example of it. I also agree that the Indoor will remain popular in areas that experiance cold winers like the Baltimore-Washington-NOVA area which is why I support the best of both world of building/expanding Indoor Malls along with building an Outdoor Mall complementing the Indoor Mall.
Here's a shot of Short Pump taken 4 years ago....

micrip no está en línea  
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #1824
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
I'm pretty sure Charlotte's population is less than Baltimore's. They have a population of about 610,000 to Baltimore's 650,000. I have been to Charlotte briefly last year when driving to Atlanta and was amazed to hardly see anyone walking the streets in the so-called financial capital of America. I did like the fact that their downtown traffic was bearable.
Funny, I was just looking up some facts on this subject. Population density is the big difference.

Charlotte = 2,521 people per square mile
Baltimore = 7869 people per square mile
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
Yeah Harbor East is gonna be something to watch once they get the ball rolling. I already heard, though, that the Vue lost Urban Outfitters to Harborplace. They're supposedly moving to where City Lights used to be. I heard this from someone who works at WJE which does retail leasing so I'd say it's pretty credible.

I wonder when they'll tear down those bakery buildings. I hope they fill in all the parking lots first. Once they do that, Harboreast and Fells Point will be truly connected...with no gaps, no no-mans-land blocks, or chainlink fences anywhere. The bakery buildings have to go. While that's a definitely a good thing, I'll miss the constant smell of cinnamon in Fells Point. When I lived there last year it was such a great thing.
It's more than credible. They already have the signage up on the north side of the Light Street pavillon.
21230 no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #1826
Gitnz

Havent been on the board for a while. Is it true that 10 IH is being scaled back? Will it still be a new tallest in Baltimore?
Gitnz no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #1827
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

StevenW emailed somebody and it appears that 10IH will not be scaled back.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #1828
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
Can people stop saying that please? All this "never will happen", pessimistic stuff is what I hate reading.
i agree 100%. gotta' think positive, everyone.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #1829
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

I e-mailed John Vonieff of ArcWheeler.
We all should know some more detailed specifics on 10 IH in about two more weeks. He said, right now the tower is around the same height. The BBJ mis stated John by thinking he said the tower would be 650 ft. tall, not 717 ft.
What he really said was the tower would be somewhere between 650 ft. to 800 ft. tall.
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #1830
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
StevenW emailed somebody and it appears that 10IH will not be scaled back.
whew, thank GOD!! i remember the email saying something to the tune of it being "no less than 650 and no more than 800 feet." The email goes on to say "right now it is about 700" which is still less than 715" unless they add more floors. So it sounds like the project is scaled back just a tad bit.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; March 12th, 2007 at 04:37 AM.
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #1831
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Correct.
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #1832
MasonsInquiries

well shucks, i'll settle for 714' then.
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #1833
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Yeah, anything over 700 ft. is a winner in my book.
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #1834
Brian21

Same here
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #1835
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Both OC and Salisbury have small airports. I believe a couple of attempts to start service between Baltimore and OC have been tried, but without success. If such a service could get started, then people could connect to OC thru BWI from all over the country.
I don't see OC as being an airport type of destination. Most people arrive there with kids, surfboards, suitcases, towels, clothes, and all sorts of heavyweight beach vacation stuff that is pretty challenging to get on an airplane. You would need airport taxis with trailers.
scando no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #1836
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
Yeah Harbor East is gonna be something to watch once they get the ball rolling. I already heard, though, that the Vue lost Urban Outfitters to Harborplace. They're supposedly moving to where City Lights used to be. I heard this from someone who works at WJE which does retail leasing so I'd say it's pretty credible.

I wonder when they'll tear down those bakery buildings. I hope they fill in all the parking lots first. Once they do that, Harboreast and Fells Point will be truly connected...with no gaps, no no-mans-land blocks, or chainlink fences anywhere. The bakery buildings have to go. While that's a definitely a good thing, I'll miss the constant smell of cinnamon in Fells Point. When I lived there last year it was such a great thing.
They've been working on the UO space at Harborplace for about a year. I keep seeing workers there but progress seems to be really slow. I keep wondering if anything is really going to happen there, but they did put up a sign recently.

As for the bakery, I think there is a plan to move the bakery operation somewhere in the eastern part of the city. John Peterakis owns the bakery (which supplies a huge number of McDonald's buns) and is the prime mover behind Harbor East and moving his operation is part of the big plan.
scando no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #1837
urbngrth123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I don't see OC as being an airport type of destination. Most people arrive there with kids, surfboards, suitcases, towels, clothes, and all sorts of heavyweight beach vacation stuff that is pretty challenging to get on an airplane. You would need airport taxis with trailers.
Last time I checked Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Daytona Beach, and Atlantic City have "Airport Type Destinations".

I'm still suprised that Myrtle Beach has an Airport when Charleston's Airport is at least 50-75 miles to the south and Willmington, NC Airport is about 50-75 Miles to the North.
urbngrth123 no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #1838
Northern
Unregistered User

In case anyone was wondering how the Ritz is coming along. Today:

Old March 12th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #1839
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbngrth123 View Post
Last time I checked Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Daytona Beach, and Atlantic City have "Airport Type Destinations".

I'm still suprised that Myrtle Beach has an Airport when Charleston's Airport is at least 50-75 miles to the south and Willmington, NC Airport is about 50-75 Miles to the North.
And.. VA Beach has an airport just down the road, but what is really strange about OCMD is that it is really still mainly owned by small local business people. There are some chain hotels but it's surprising how much of the place is mainly small, local and owned by a few families that have owned the place for more than a century. They are quite territorial about their formula (which does quite well for them) and actively resist changes that could make the place much bigger (in the business sense). A little known story is how the mafia wanted gambling in OC before Atlantic city caved in, but the OC people held out against it, in spite of arson and threats. These same people run the town council (it's a TOWN council) and have a mainly rural view of the lower Shore and OC. I don't think there is or will be any agitation for a larger airport any time in the forseeable future.
scando no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #1840
BRBaltimore

pictures from today

Some pics from today:

Harbor East from Little Italy

The Vue

414 Water Street

Eden Apartments
BRBaltimore no está en línea  

Closed Thread