daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 12th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #1841
BRBaltimore

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
They've been working on the UO space at Harborplace for about a year. I keep seeing workers there but progress seems to be really slow. I keep wondering if anything is really going to happen there, but they did put up a sign recently.

As for the bakery, I think there is a plan to move the bakery operation somewhere in the eastern part of the city. John Peterakis owns the bakery (which supplies a huge number of McDonald's buns) and is the prime mover behind Harbor East and moving his operation is part of the big plan.

I believe the plan was for Paterakis to move the bakery and distribution center to the site of the old Esskay plant in East Baltimore between Baltimore St. and Pulaski Hwy near Haven St. Anyone know the status of that project?
BRBaltimore no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #1842
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbngrth123 View Post
Last time I checked Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Daytona Beach, and Atlantic City have "Airport Type Destinations".

I'm still suprised that Myrtle Beach has an Airport when Charleston's Airport is at least 50-75 miles to the south and Willmington, NC Airport is about 50-75 Miles to the North.
Myrtle Beach has an attraction that the rest of these do not..it's a major golfers' destination. Large numbers of golfing groups go there without the rest of the family. OC is trying to promote itself as a golfing destination, but Myrtle can operate almost year-round while OC cannot.
micrip no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #1843
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Great pictures, BRBaltimore and Northern! Thanks for posting them.

I'm suprised that Water Street Tower hasn't put it's little pyramid-like top on it yet.
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #1844
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Myrtle Beach has an attraction that the rest of these do not..it's a major golfers' destination. Large numbers of golfing groups go there without the rest of the family. OC is trying to promote itself as a golfing destination, but Myrtle can operate almost year-round while OC cannot.
Myrtle Beach is not only THEE golfing destination in the USA, (over 100 golf courses), it is thee most tourist oriented beach destination on the East Coast. MB is a monster, and growing bigger every year. There is SO much to see and do there. They are in the middle of building the very first HardRock Theme Park there.
OC's draw is it's boardwalk with it's old-time feel and family friendly atmosphere. There really is no comparison. Two totally different experiences, IMO.
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #1845
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Looks like BWI might lose to Dulles once again.

Aer Lingus has been offered $11 million (€8.4 million) in incentives by baltimore Washington International (BWI) airport to establish a direct route to Dublin if an open skies deal is agreed by the US and the EU. Ciarán Hancock reports.

It is understood, however, that the Irish airline could reject this offer and sign a deal with rival Dulles International Airport in Virginia. Both are roughly 25 miles from Washington DC's Capitol Hill.

Aer Lingus's decision to choose Dulles will surprise many analysts as its landing charges are higher than BWI and it is not believed to have offered a comparable package of incentives.

According to informed sources, BWI has offered to pay Aer Lingus $2 million in marketing and advertising supports over a two-year period.

In addition, BWI would waive $3 million in rental and landing charges. The airport has also offered Aer Lingus $6 million in revenues supports to be spread evenly over two years. BWI has projected that a direct route from Dublin would attract up to 100,000 passengers a year.

"The selection of a gateway is always a competitive situation but BWI will put forward its best efforts to attract Aer Lingus back to this airport," said James Walsh, BWI's deputy executive director.

BWI handles about 20 million passengers a year, with 50 per cent of this traffic generated by Southwest Airlines. The airport has struggled to attract international carriers in recent years although BA does operate flights to London Heathrow and services to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Iceland and Gambia are also available.

Aer Lingus said it would not announce any new routes to the US until an open skies deal had been agreed. A spokesman added that no final decision has been made in relation to a route to Washington.

It is understood, however, that the airline's senior executives are set to plump for Dulles, which is a key hub for United Airlines, a major US carrier that does not operate flights to Ireland.

Dulles, which carries 23 million passengers a year, is also used by Jet Blue, an American low-fares carrier that has agreed an alliance with Aer Lingus to allow the Irish airline's passengers connect into its network of domestic flights and services to Mexico and the Caribbean.

Aer Lingus dropped BWI from its schedule in late 2004 having operated a daily flight from Dublin that stopped over in Shannon. Under an open skies deal, the Shannon stopover would be phased out and Aer Lingus would be free to fly directly from Dublin to Washington DC.

Washington DC is one of three cities in the US that Aer Lingus wants to fly to if an open skies deal is agreed. San Francisco and Orlando are the others.

The airline has two new A330 aircraft coming on stream in May and June for long-haul services. These have already been assigned to existing US routes - New York, Boston, Los Angeles and Chicago - and to Dubai.

Aer Lingus hopes to switch these to the new routes in September or October if EU transport ministers approve an open skies deal on March 22nd.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #1846
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

On a random note...

How does everyone feel current state of nightlife is in Bmore???

Night clubs would include bars, lounges, huge clubs, etc,.

From where I sit, I think the smaller venues in the City are doing just fine. There are plenty of bars and smaller to midsized lounges to go to.

It seems that the larger clubs have disappeared and not really been replaced. With the loss of Hammerjacks (twice), Redwood Trust (wasn't their talk of this opening up again??) Bohagers it seems some of the larger more successful clubs have faded. Could cause one to wonder do they close because the market isn't there? Mismanagment? Granted I know Hammerjacks closed because it was sold, but I cant figure out why it closed NOW. Last I checked there weren't even any renderings for Naing's towers.

End of disjointed musings...

Walked by PF Chang the other day. Looks great. Opening could be only days away.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #1847
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

what in the world is going on with the jj clarke/struevers recreation pier project? shouldn't it have started by now? jj not only has all the financial backing he needs, but he also has a reliable partner with a good building track record. the idea of an aloft hotel in that area is starting to sound really good. so, again, i ask WHAT'S THE HOLDUP??????

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; March 12th, 2007 at 06:46 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #1848
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Myrtle Beach is not only THEE golfing destination in the USA, (over 100 golf courses), it is thee most tourist oriented beach destination on the East Coast. MB is a monster, and growing bigger every year. There is SO much to see and do there. They are in the middle of building the very first HardRock Theme Park there.
OC's draw is it's boardwalk with it's old-time feel and family friendly atmosphere. There really is no comparison. Two totally different experiences, IMO.
MB has an airport because the air force used to have a base in MB. The air force has since abandoned the facility and they are in the process of redevelopment. I used to live in MB and while they do offer a wide array of things to do everything is sooo spread out that you spend a significant time in the car going from one destination to the other. I personally would take OCMD over MB any day. When I lived in MB (5 yrs ago) there were several golf courses that were having major financial because the market is over saturated.

I was reading the Salisbury paper online (delmarvanow.com) and there is discussion right now about expanding the airport in OC.
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #1849
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Great Minds Think Alike

I guess several of us thought yesterday was a good time to take some pictures.

4S site,

Eden,

and Wadaguy's new digs!

Old March 12th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #1850
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

I was actually going to move into the Eden Apartments, but it's a little pricy.
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1851
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
what in the world is going on with the jj clarke/struevers recreation pier project? shouldn't it have started by now? jj not only has all the financial backing he needs, but he also has a reliable partner with a good building track record. the idea of an aloft hotel in that area is starting to sound really good. so, again, i ask WHAT'S THE HOLDUP??????
I believe I read in the Baltimore Business Journal where it was slated to start sometime this spring hopefully.
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #1852
MountVEE

Music Venue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
On a random note...

How does everyone feel current state of nightlife is in Bmore???

Night clubs would include bars, lounges, huge clubs, etc,.

From where I sit, I think the smaller venues in the City are doing just fine. There are plenty of bars and smaller to midsized lounges to go to.

It seems that the larger clubs have disappeared and not really been replaced. With the loss of Hammerjacks (twice), Redwood Trust (wasn't their talk of this opening up again??) Bohagers it seems some of the larger more successful clubs have faded. Could cause one to wonder do they close because the market isn't there? Mismanagment? Granted I know Hammerjacks closed because it was sold, but I cant figure out why it closed NOW. Last I checked there weren't even any renderings for Naing's towers.

End of disjointed musings...

Walked by PF Chang the other day. Looks great. Opening could be only days away.
I personally think the city needs a new music venue for small to mid-size bands. While I've never been to Ram's Head (although I'll be seeing Janeane Garofalo there tonight..hehe) I HAVE been to Sonar and it was, by far, one of the worst places for bands to play. The room is to wide and shallow and the stage is way too low. The acoustics are bad. We just need something like 930 club size....multi-story with a balcony. Other than that I LOVE Baltimore's bar scene although I feel like the market in taverns/pubs is over-saturated. I'm personally not a mega-club fan but more lounges like Ixia and Red Maple or other smaller places to dance would be great. I know that's random and has nothing to do with development so I'll shut up now.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1853
Brian21

Club Xanadu on Calvert street just opened up a few months ago right across from Redwood Trust. Its a pretty cool upscale lounge. I thought I read a while back that the club "Velvet Nation" from D.C was moving into the Redwood Trust building.
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1854
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
I personally think the city needs a new music venue for small to mid-size bands. While I've never been to Ram's Head (although I'll be seeing Janeane Garofalo there tonight..hehe) I HAVE been to Sonar and it was, by far, one of the worst places for bands to play. The room is to wide and shallow and the stage is way too low. The acoustics are bad. We just need something like 930 club size....multi-story with a balcony. Other than that I LOVE Baltimore's bar scene although I feel like the market in taverns/pubs is over-saturated. I'm personally not a mega-club fan but more lounges like Ixia and Red Maple or other smaller places to dance would be great. I know that's random and has nothing to do with development so I'll shut up now.
you'll enjoy the rams head. its the club you're looking for...about the same size as 9.30 with a killer sound system and balconies etc. the trouble with baltimore's music scene is twofold. the easier one to understand is the booking issues. IMP books for the 9.30 and for sonar. they do their best to book any decent band at 9.30 first. IF the show at 9.30 sells out AND there is a time slot availibe in the bands schedule, then they'll play in baltimore. also...i've heard that 9.30 forces bands into signing a non-compete clause in order to play there. that meaning the band can choose to play a solid, well known established room at the 9.30, or give up that opportunity to play somewhere in b-more. if i were in a band....wait, i AM in a band, i'd choose to play in d.c.

the other half of this lack of live music is the general mindset of the people of b-more. it has become 'ok' to rely on a d.j. instead of a band. over the years...as clubs have closed, d.j.'s have become the cheap and easy way to provide entertainment. not only that, but they don't fall under the guises of the live entertainment liscencing. yes...any bar that has live entertainment is SUPPOSED to have a permit to do so. these permits are not easy to get under the current system.this combination of roadblocks has created a people that don't really care about live music.

sure, there are some folks out there who look for their favorite band and go out every now and then, but most of us havn't been out toa live show in quite some time. me? i went out on saturday to sonar. the sound was a bit muddy, the room was dark, but the show was REALLY good!

we don't need a venue like the 9.30...we have one in the rams head. what we need is for people in this town to actively seek out live entertainment. my band played the 8x10 last week and honestly, it was the same faces we see at every show. and its the same faces i see at other bands' shows. when it comes down to it, entertainment, like everything else, is market driven.
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #1855
Northern
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
...A little known story is how the mafia wanted gambling in OC before Atlantic city caved in, but the OC people held out against it, in spite of arson and threats. These same people run the town council (it's a TOWN council) and have a mainly rural view of the lower Shore and OC.
Yeap, things are the way they are. With all the talk of slots etc., I doubt gambling will be allowed anywhere near OC anytime soon. It would threaten the "family resort" image and shift power away from small-business owners. OC has sure been trying to become an all-year thing with conventions, golf and festivals.
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1856
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Like quabex said....

The Ramshead is superior to the 930 in soundquality, location, and amentities. Unfortunatly, they just don't get the quality bookings.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #1857
Northern
Unregistered User

To add on to the nightlife/entertainment, it was really disappointing to see the IMPROV close. Supposedly they had a problem with their location. Any chance of re-opening?
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #1858
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

What's the biggest, (maybe best is the right word), dance club in Baltimore? I know the Redwood Trust was a nicer establishment, but, isn't there any place that people know to go to that has the latest and older dance music? Techno? House? Big Beat? Trance? Etc.....
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #1859
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Attention: NATE

Public transit use up in '06, MTA says
Baltimore Business Journal - 2:32 PM EDT Monday, March 12, 2007
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
Spurred by rising fuel costs and clogged roads, public transportation ridership in Greater Baltimore increased in fiscal 2006.

That was the word Monday from the Maryland Transit Administration, which reported gains ranging from 5 percent for commuter bus service to 11 percent for Light Rail to 19 percent for mobility paratransit.

The Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) said its overall ridership increased 2 percent, from 91.5 million riders to 93.3 million.

MTA Administrator Paul J. Wiedefeld called public transportation "a proven way to meet our national, regional and local transportation goals" and said the MTA was "committed to providing quality customer service and safe, reliable transporatation that is convenient for our passengers."

MTA officials cited national statistics showing Americans took 10.1 billion trips on public transportation nationwide in 2006, the most in 49 years.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #1860
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Great pix, Huck!
Love this one:

Closed Thread