daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #1861
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Likes (Received): 22

I'll probably get blasted, but I don't think Ram's Head is all that great. It's also very shallow in front of the stage. Perhaps only 1/3 as deep as 9:30. I've only been to one show there, so I can't really comment on the sound. The bands I see usually alternate, though. One tour DC, the next tour Baltimore. Don't forget about the Ottobar--it will host many of the same bands that played 9:30 or the Black Cat on a previous tour. And the beer is way cheaper. It has a show at least every night, and fills the mid-level band segment quite well.

Baltimore has good support for music, but it for specific types. The punk/hardcore/garage/indie stuff is some of the best the on the east coast. And there are lots of smaller places around town for bands to play often.
pepperjack no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #1862
scottbbfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
On a random note...

How does everyone feel current state of nightlife is in Bmore???

Night clubs would include bars, lounges, huge clubs, etc,.

From where I sit, I think the smaller venues in the City are doing just fine. There are plenty of bars and smaller to midsized lounges to go to.

It seems that the larger clubs have disappeared and not really been replaced. With the loss of Hammerjacks (twice), Redwood Trust (wasn't their talk of this opening up again??) Bohagers it seems some of the larger more successful clubs have faded. Could cause one to wonder do they close because the market isn't there? Mismanagment? Granted I know Hammerjacks closed because it was sold, but I cant figure out why it closed NOW. Last I checked there weren't even any renderings for Naing's towers.

End of disjointed musings...

Walked by PF Chang the other day. Looks great. Opening could be only days away.

Hammerjack's closed because Naing (correctly) realized it was a huge detractor to the area. It caused nothing but problems. I can assure you, Hammerjack's II was much different than I. Naing is basically working with a blank canvas and doesn't want anything to hurt that. Hammerjack's was really the only thing bringing down the area. Building from nothing is much easier than building from garbage, like they are trying to do with the superblock. Naing's area is more closely resembles Harbor East, where there just wasn't anything to get rid of, besides Bohagers (I'm not saying this area will end up being anything like Harbor East, but their infancy is similar)Naing can go in and basically do what he wants. Not a bad business plan if you ask me.

Also, PF Chang's is opening tonight.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #1863
scottbbfm

one more item of note

The undeveloped piece of land EAST of the Eden Apts/Pazo will be converted to 3 story town/row houses soon. The undeveloped land West of the Eden isn't going to be developed anytime soon (within a year) There are still businesses in there w/ leases, etc....kinda dissapointing if you ask me. I still feel thats a key block for Harbor East.
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #1864
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
Hammerjack's closed because Naing (correctly) realized it was a huge detractor to the area. It caused nothing but problems. I can assure you, Hammerjack's II was much different than I. Naing is basically working with a blank canvas and doesn't want anything to hurt that. Hammerjack's was really the only thing bringing down the area. Building from nothing is much easier than building from garbage, like they are trying to do with the superblock. Naing's area is more closely resembles Harbor East, where there just wasn't anything to get rid of, besides Bohagers (I'm not saying this area will end up being anything like Harbor East, but their infancy is similar)Naing can go in and basically do what he wants. Not a bad business plan if you ask me.

Also, PF Chang's is opening tonight.
just for history's sake...this was the 3rd incarnation of hammerjacks! it originally operated on charles street in fed hill. maybe in the building that later was bandaloops...not sure of its exact location there.

fun!
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #1865
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

I really think Central Ave will be part of Harboreast

soon. Wow a 12 lane bowling alley.

Annapolis restaurants pick Harbor East for expansion
Baltimore Business Journal - March 9, 2007by Julekha DashStaff

Nicholas Griner | Staff
Annapolis restaurateurs Jody Danek, Gavin Buckley and Stanley Hsu.
View Larger
A historic building near Harbor East is getting a $2 million renovation and will house two restaurants, a 12-lane bowling alley, salon and scooter shop by June.

Two popular Annapolis restaurants, Tsunami and Lemongrass, will make their Baltimore debut in the Union Box Co.'s rehabbed retail building at the corner of Bank Street and Central Ave. The other tenants include Mustang Alley's, a restaurant, lounge and bowling alley, the Edge on Central day spa, and a scooter shop, Vmoto. Piedigrotta Bakery of Baltimore will move its bakery to the site from another location on Central Avenue in May.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #1866
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Do you know

if Paterakis is doing this or another developer. How many townhouse's and what street''s will these townhouses boarder. Is it Caroline and Fleet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
one more item of note

The undeveloped piece of land EAST of the Eden Apts/Pazo will be converted to 3 story town/row houses soon. The undeveloped land West of the Eden isn't going to be developed anytime soon (within a year) There are still businesses in there w/ leases, etc....kinda dissapointing if you ask me. I still feel thats a key block for Harbor East.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #1867
rxsoccer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
Club Xanadu on Calvert street just opened up a few months ago right across from Redwood Trust. Its a pretty cool upscale lounge. I thought I read a while back that the club "Velvet Nation" from D.C was moving into the Redwood Trust building.
I remember that rumor about "velvet nation" as well, but I don't think its true because the Redwood Trust building has a sign on it advertising 20,000 sq feet of nightclub space for lease or sale.
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #1868
Ay Jayy

Quote:
The Ramshead is superior to the 930 in soundquality, location, and amentities. Unfortunatly, they just don't get the quality bookings.
its really not. they have nicer bathrooms, thats about it. Not to mention that Rams Head way over sells the venue. If a show is sold out, dont even bother trying to get a drink at the bar and its next to impossible to find a good sightline.

There is a reason that the 930 club wins the award for best venue of its size in the nation nearly every year. It is simply outstanding, and management is excellent.
Ay Jayy no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #1869
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post

Nicholas Griner | Staff
View Larger
A historic building near Harbor East is getting a $2 million renovation and will house two restaurants, a 12-lane bowling alley, salon and scooter shop by June.

Two popular Annapolis restaurants, Tsunami and Lemongrass, will make their Baltimore debut in the Union Box Co.'s rehabbed retail building at the corner of Bank Street and Central Ave. The other tenants include Mustang Alley's, a restaurant, lounge and bowling alley, the Edge on Central day spa, and a scooter shop, Vmoto. Piedigrotta Bakery of Baltimore will move its bakery to the site from another location on Central Avenue in May.
Haha, When I was last in Baltimore, I ran into my best friend growing up a few months ago and he told me that he and his family were renovating a site in Little Italy/Harbor East to open a bar/restaurant and bowling alley to be called Mustang Alley's. I told him to watch out cause Cordish was planning a Lucky Strike just down the way. I guess he wasn't scared.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #1870
KGB89

Have any of you guys ever been to the 8x10? I'm trying to get some opinions on that place.
KGB89 no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #1871
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Has this been posted yet?

$350M resort complex planned for near airport
Baltimore Business Journal - 4:51 PM EDT Monday, March 12, 2007
by Julekha Dash
Staff

InterContinental Hotels Group plc is planning two new hotels near Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, officials at the London-based company said Monday.

The hotels will be part of a $350 million resort complex, a 90,000-square-foot conference center and an aquatic center. The Linthicum property will feature two hotels: a 300-room Crowne Plaza and a 200-room Hotel Indigo, a boutique hotel concept from InterContinental Hotels Group plc. The hotels will break ground later this year and open in early 2009.

The 29-acre resort will feature 10 restaurants, several retailers and a day spa.

Clarksville-based real estate development firm the Asha Cos. will own the Crowne Plaza at Grand Isle Resort.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #1872
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB89 View Post
Have any of you guys ever been to the 8x10? I'm trying to get some opinions on that place.

I'm over there pretty regularly, though ususally not for big shows. It's clean...drinks are overpriced good lighting O.K. sound.

as far as the 930....we'll agree to disagree. I've been to 50+ shows there (930). Parking sucks, location sucks and it feels dirty. That said, it gets great bookings and the shows are always fun. Ramshead, IMO, is a better venue.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #1873
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB89 View Post
my band played there last week. its a shame that the politics involved has brought it down from what once was. still...a great venue if you can catch someone there. sounds great...nice balcony. very small. good place though.
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #1874
scottbbfm

Quote:
if Paterakis is doing this or another developer. How many townhouse's and what street''s will these townhouses boarder. Is it Caroline and Fleet?
Pretty sure its Paterakis. Its at least the block bounded by caroline, lancaster, alcieanna, and dallas, not sure if the houses are to extend to Fleet Street. It supposed to be 2 'rows' of townhouses. That style where the backs face an inner type of courtyard.
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #1875
scottbbfm

Quote:

Nicholas Griner | Staff
View Larger

That's great news!

Only hesitation/worry is that location is awfully close to those projects bounded by Bank, Eden, Pratt, and Bethel Streets. Something really needs to be done over there.....and I think I have JUST the answer,

The new ARENA. This site has a lot going for it, Great Access to 83, lies right next to a potential red line route (wouldn't a stop on Eastern Ave and Central be PERFECT for the arena AND Harbor East?) I agree parking could be an issue, but I think there's definitely room for a garage. Little Italy residents might have a kanipshit...but it would have to be great for business.

What do you guys think?
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #1876
urbngrth123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Myrtle Beach is not only THEE golfing destination in the USA, (over 100 golf courses), it is thee most tourist oriented beach destination on the East Coast. MB is a monster, and growing bigger every year. There is SO much to see and do there. They are in the middle of building the very first HardRock Theme Park there.
OC's draw is it's boardwalk with it's old-time feel and family friendly atmosphere. There really is no comparison. Two totally different experiences, IMO.
Then its time for a Major Upgrade for Ocean City or just build another Beach Destination in Maryland north of OC or South of it.

Its strange for Maryland to be the only state in the south to not have a Major Beach Destination that attracts people from all over the country.
urbngrth123 no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #1877
micrip

Likes (Received): 1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbngrth123 View Post
Then its time for a Major Upgrade for Ocean City or just build another Beach Destination in Maryland north of OC or South of it.

Its strange for Maryland to be the only state in the south to not have a Major Beach Destination that attracts people from all over the country.
Ocean City is more of a regional draw...you do see a lot of tags from the midwest, too. Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, etc.

OC's appeal is that it's a classic family resort...real boardwalk, wonderful beach, etc. The place can't expand to the south...the Inlet is the limit, and it is pretty well built out to the Delaware line. The trend now seems to be replacing the older, smaller places in the south end of town with denser, pricier development. I think that's to the detriment of the old-time flavor of the place.
micrip no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #1878
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Great pix, Huck!
Love this one:
I hate to be a debbie downer but, as an architect I was really disappointed in the materials chosen for the exterior of this building. I think it makes it look cheap and resembles a college dormitory with it's balconies and obvious little bathroom windows. I'm just not sure it will last the test of time...style wise. I feel like everyone's excited about this building height-wise but they haven't really critiqued it, design-wise. Honestly, lately, when I see it, i just shudder. Everyone's been talking about it at work too. yuck.

Last edited by MountVEE; March 13th, 2007 at 09:28 AM.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #1879
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperjack View Post
I'll probably get blasted, but I don't think Ram's Head is all that great. It's also very shallow in front of the stage. Perhaps only 1/3 as deep as 9:30. I've only been to one show there, so I can't really comment on the sound. The bands I see usually alternate, though. One tour DC, the next tour Baltimore. Don't forget about the Ottobar--it will host many of the same bands that played 9:30 or the Black Cat on a previous tour. And the beer is way cheaper. It has a show at least every night, and fills the mid-level band segment quite well.

Baltimore has good support for music, but it for specific types. The punk/hardcore/garage/indie stuff is some of the best the on the east coast. And there are lots of smaller places around town for bands to play often.
Agreed. After going to Ram's head tonight I have to say the same thing. It was WAY to shallow. I sat on the floor and you could barely even tell that the people on the balcony were even there. it was still pretty weak I have to say. Maybe I'm spoiled as far as music venues go. we could do better. and there's nothing wrong with saying that.
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #1880
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Ocean City is more of a regional draw...you do see a lot of tags from the midwest, too. Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, etc.

OC's appeal is that it's a classic family resort...real boardwalk, wonderful beach, etc. The place can't expand to the south...the Inlet is the limit, and it is pretty well built out to the Delaware line. The trend now seems to be replacing the older, smaller places in the south end of town with denser, pricier development. I think that's to the detriment of the old-time flavor of the place.
To be honest, I came from the south where we use to go to Panama City/Destin, FL and all the time and, to be honest I would take Ocean City as it is right now ANY time. It's a gem that I only found out about once I moved to Baltimore. I like the old boardwalk beaches. They're WAY better than those highway beaches like myrtle, panama city, and daytona. They're a real national treasure. i remember the first time I went to one I couldn't believe they still existed. I say screw trying to make ocean city into Myrtle Beach. It's always been full of nascar-loving Appalachia trash anyway.

Closed Thread