daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #1881
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
I say screw trying to make ocean city into Myrtle Beach. It's always been full of nascar-loving Appalachia trash anyway.
There is no internet acronym that expresses how funny that is. I completely agree. I only go to Myrtle Beach for the golf.
BalWash no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #1882
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
What's the story with the Michael Graves Cordish building? Is it still happening? The last rendering I saw was pretty goofy looking. Typical of Michael Graves I guess. In the end though, I say the more star-chitect buildings we get, the better. People talk about that Mies Van Der Rohe building on Charles Street all the time...even if it is generally mediocre.
Which one on Charles? One Charles Center or Highfield House? (Never mind! Eerik beat me to it. I'm catching up after a week.)

The first rendering of "The Cordish Tower" I HATED!The second one is at least acceptable.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 13th, 2007 at 01:07 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #1883
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAudidoody View Post
Doubtful. That city (Charlotte) depresses the hell out of me.

If it isn't the weather, it's the architecture, or the lack of any type of energy. It's good I don't take a gun with me when I go there. The geography is confining too.
I owned a convertible and when I was doing a lot of travel for work, I would often drive it to my destination instead of flying. That car was parked on the streets of New York, Boston, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Washington D.C., Atlanta, etc. In addition, it "lived" on the "mean streets" of Baltimore.

The only time anyone ever bothered my car was when it was parked on the 9th floor of the Holiday Inn parking garage in Downtown Charlotte. They slit the rear window for a CD (yes, 1). That town depresses me too but I keep it in context. It could have happened any place. The people down there, for the most part, are very nice. Even the cop was pleasant.

To make matters worse, you have no idea how much paperwork I had to go through to get reimbursed for the damage. It was maddening and it took months.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 13th, 2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #1884
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I guess several of us thought yesterday was a good time to take some pictures.
and Wadaguy's new digs!

Yep! I'm moving to the "Land of Drunks". I'll have The Block on one side, Power Plant Live on another, and the IH on the third. Does that make me a "Drunkard"? Should be fun!

That's a very nice picture!
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #1885
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB89 View Post
Have any of you guys ever been to the 8x10? I'm trying to get some opinions on that place.
I love the 8x10. It used to be cozier and dingier, but the owners of mothers bought it and redid it. I think its changed hands again, not sure, but it updated and cleaner and still nice a cozy. I love it and feel its so im portant for cross street.

Don't forget fletchers on fells.
Hood no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #1886
30 Floors Up

Baltimore, Cleveland do it differently
Sunday, March 11, 2007

By Bill Toland, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Toland, Post-Gazette
Currently under construction, 414 Water Street is one of the newest entrants in Baltimore's booming downtown housing market.

BALTIMORE-- Soaring above Baltimore's Inner Harbor and entertainment district is the building now known as 414 Water Street. Offering 31 stories of luxury condos within walking distance of downtown and the remade harbor, it's among the city's latest entrants in the growing field of downtown housing.

Nearby is the Ritz-Carlton condo project, set to open this fall, and around the bend in the bay, rising from the former warehouse district called Harbor East, is the sold-out Vue condominium. By the end of the decade, more than 3,000 new urban housing units could be on the market -- or already occupied -- in Baltimore, a city that has historically faced some of the same industrial blight issues as did Pittsburgh.

But in Baltimore, you'll find no sweeping 10-year tax abatements encouraging new construction and residential conversions. They did it the old-fashioned way here, by listening to the market, then creating a menu of smaller tax breaks for builders -- there's a grant fund for historic building conversions; there's also a gap loan pool for developers who can't quite gather the financing they need. And on a case-by-case basis, the city will negotiate so-called PILOTS, or payments in lieu of taxes, for developers who can't meet the tax burden.

The menu of options works better for Baltimore than the Philadelphia model, a one-size-fits-all, decade-long tax break. Philadelphia's version "makes a lot of sense from a fairness standpoint," in that the same discount opportunities are extended to everyone, said Bob Aydukovic, the vice president of economic development for the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore, Inc.

"But Baltimore has a different view of how it does public-private partnerships. It's not a blanket, it's an investment," he said.

The buyers followed the investment. The same slate of buyers attracted to downtown housing in other cities -- childless young professionals and empty-nesters downsizing their lifestyle -- were attracted to the compact downtown of what many refer to as Charm City, and the immediate downtown population has doubled here in just six years.

Cleveland more aggressive
Cleveland, meanwhile, has been charting a different course, wooing city residents and developers with an aggressive 15-year property tax waiver on the home value -- as in Philadelphia, the land is still taxable. That applies to new construction; rehabbed homes get a 10-year tax break.

Previously, the city had offered shorter abatements and smaller tax breaks in various city neighborhoods. The current plan, offering full abatements across the city on new building value, was enacted in 1999.

Cleveland, as a result, has seen its total housing value increase by $370 million over the life of the abatement program, Cleveland State University researchers estimate. The same study says Cleveland, its county and its schools reap $1.50 for every dollar of city property tax that is abated. New housing starts number about 1,000 each year -- in the late 1980s, fewer than 50 new homes were built each year in Cleveland, a city of about 478,000.

"We also found that over 60 percent of the people who built new homes would not have built them without the abatement," said Sabra Pierce Scott, a city councilwoman and head of the council's community and economic development committee.

In both cities, there are varying degrees of backlash.

Like many parts of the country, Baltimore is already seeing a slump in its housing sector, and is worried that there will be too many units on the market when it's all said and done. In Cleveland, city council is trying to decide what to do with the abatement program -- retire it, extend it, tweak it or reduce the 15-year duration -- now that the authorizing legislation is set to expire this summer .

The city is also finding out that, once developers are hooked on the tax breaks, they want to keep getting their fix. "I will not build without tax abatement," developer Doug Price told The Plain Dealer of Cleveland. "Without tax abatement, I will never get the loans to finance the project."

Mrs. Scott, the councilwoman, said she didn't expect the abatement program to be changed substantially, and in fact it might be expanded to target certain groups -- extra incentives, for example, directed at school teachers who live outside of the city.
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #1887
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

"I say screw trying to make ocean city into Myrtle Beach. It's always been full of nascar-loving Appalachia trash anyway".

Hilarious!
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #1888
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I owned a convertible and when I was doing a lot of travel for work, I would often drive it to my destination instead of flying. That car was parked on the streets of New York, Boston, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Washington D.C., Atlanta, etc. In addition, it "lived" on the "mean streets" of Baltimore.

The only time anyone ever bothered my car was when it was parked on the 9th floor of the Holiday Inn parking garage in Downtown Charlotte. They slit the rear window for a CD (yes, 1). That town depresses me too but I keep it in context. It could have happened any place. The people down there, for the most part, are very nice. Even the cop was pleasant.

To make matters worse, you have no idea how much paperwork I had to go through to get reimbursed for the damage. It was maddening and it took months.
I think Haudidoody was talking about Pittsburgh.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #1889
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ay Jayy View Post
There is a reason that the 930 club wins the award for best venue of its size in the nation nearly every year. It is simply outstanding, and management is excellent.
I think you're right. I was just there last week and had an awesome time! I have never had a bad experience there.
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1890
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbngrth123 View Post
Then its time for a Major Upgrade for Ocean City or just build another Beach Destination in Maryland north of OC or South of it.

Its strange for Maryland to be the only state in the south to not have a Major Beach Destination that attracts people from all over the country.
All beachfront property in Maryland available to develop is developed. It is OC.
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #1891
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Quote:
Yep! I'm moving to the "Land of Drunks". I'll have The Block on one side, Power Plant Live on another, and the IH on the third. Does that make me a "Drunkard"? Should be fun!

That's a very nice picture!
LOL @ "Land of Drunks". Now that's funny!!
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #1892
DCKenny

Maryland is not the south at all it does'nt have southern characteristics. It's mid atlantic as it always been so screw the old Mason-Dixon line learn some history since you are Russian. Maryland and Delaware fought for the Union and Washington DC is the Capitol of the North. The state below us is the South.
DCKenny no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #1893
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbngrth123 View Post
Then its time for a Major Upgrade for Ocean City or just build another Beach Destination in Maryland north of OC or South of it.

Its strange for Maryland to be the only state in the south to not have a Major Beach Destination that attracts people from all over the country.
oh no...then we'll lose the fictitious race that apparently all the states are running in. We better follow the status quo because at this rate we'll never win homecoming queen.

Last time I checked, North Carolina didn't really have a corporate sell-out beach destination. You have outer banks but most of that is just rental housing and pristine beaches with dunes....It's beautiful. Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach is a really small time family destination. Actually, Georgia doesn't have one either. Wait now that I think about it, it's just FL, SC, and VA that have those. Actually, compared to NYC's Coney Island, I would say Ocean City is pretty touristy.. hmm...I guess you just won't rest until Ocean City is FULL of Mini Golf courses and Red Lobsters.

Last edited by MountVEE; March 13th, 2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #1894
DCKenny

That's Harlem87 he or she change their name to urbngrth123 why you do it. So you can make a brand new start what's that all about?
DCKenny no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1895
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

The world may never know.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #1896
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
oh no...then we'll lose the fictitious race that apparently all the states are running in. We better follow the status quo because at this rate we'll never win homecoming queen.

Last time I checked, North Carolina didn't really have a corporate sell-out beach destination. You have outer banks but most of that is just rental housing and pristine beaches with dunes....It's beautiful. Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach is a really small time family destination. Actually, Georgia doesn't have one either. Wait now that I think about it, it's just FL, SC, and VA that have those. Actually, compared to NYC's Coney Island, I would say Ocean City is pretty touristy.. hmm...I guess you just won't rest until Ocean City is FULL of Mini Golf courses and Red Lobsters.
wilmington nc is kinda corporate. oc is just a big oceanfront mall. last time i was there i played a little game called "find a patch of grass". more difficult than it sounds! of course...i think key west is overbuilt!

as for northern/southern cities differences; the easiest way to tell the difference is by their street names. southern cities have major boulevards named for plants. i.e. peachtree drive, magnolia drive, dogwood street, etc. northern cities are people and family names...calvert street charles street pratt street, etc. the reason for this is that when the union rebuilt the south, they didn't want any lingering remanants of the confederacy leaders. now, 130 years later i'm sure you can find a 'robert e. lee' blvd in every southern town, but rest assured the road had a different name when it was built.
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #1897
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCKenny View Post
That's Harlem87 he or she change their name to urbngrth123 why you do it. So you can make a brand new start what's that all about?
Can we just let it go? Whether it's Harlem87 or a new person at least he or she is actually being contributive to the forum in a manner that you can have a more civilized thought provoking discussion with them.
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #1898
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
Can we just let it go? Whether it's Harlem87 or a new person at least he or she is actually being contributive to the forum in a manner that you can have a more civilized thought provoking discussion with them.
yeah, i agree. let's take it one step at a time. everyone's entitled to a "change".
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #1899
MountVEE

Quote:
Which one on Charles? One Charles Center or Highfield House? (Never mind! Eerik beat me to it. I'm catching up after a week.)

The first rendering of "The Cordish Tower" I HATED!The second one is at least acceptable.
the office building downtown
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #1900
Hugh Jaramillo

The Olmstead

I found this in a recent issue of the JHU Newsletter re the Olmstead:

The Olmsted Apartments, where a huge excavation currently takes up the majority of a block, are slated to begin being built at the end of 2007. The contractor explained that the project is somewhat delayed in order to provide more retail space.

I hope that this is true because right now it looks pretty bad there. Also I agree with the poster who commented on the architectural merits of the Water Street condo tower. However, in comparison to the 1st Mariner tower in Canton, it's a lot better and it does bring more residents into the city. Those balconies are almost useless though. They are small and oddly shapped. Maybe you could put a plant there or something but I think even a small chair would overwhelm the space!
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  

Closed Thread