daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1901
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
The Olmstead

I found this in a recent issue of the JHU Newsletter re the Olmstead:

The Olmsted Apartments, where a huge excavation currently takes up the majority of a block, are slated to begin being built at the end of 2007. The contractor explained that the project is somewhat delayed in order to provide more retail space.

I hope that this is true because right now it looks pretty bad there. Also I agree with the poster who commented on the architectural merits of the Water Street condo tower. However, in comparison to the 1st Mariner tower in Canton, it's a lot better and it does bring more residents into the city. Those balconies are almost useless though. They are small and oddly shapped. Maybe you could put a plant there or something but I think even a small chair would overwhelm the space!
I think the design of 414 Water could have been improved, but over all it is quite acceptable. As I've said many times before, I LIKE BRICK! Someone said it looked cheap. I don't think it looks any cheaper than the tower at Cross Keys or the many condo buildings on upper Charles Street or University Parkway.

The main improvement I would have made would be to have floor to ceiling windows on all the main room openings. When you have a kick ass view, you want to see as much of it as possible. I would have left the bathroom windows the size they are because there are too many perverts out there with binoculars.

If Water Street didn't have balconies, I wouldn't have purchased there. Having lived at Sutton Place, I know what an asset it is to be able to cookout on the balcony (electric grills are legal) during a summer day, or simply be able to rest on a chaise lounge and watch the world go by. My balcony is 22 feet by 8 feet which, if you ask me, is plenty large for most people. It certainly is large enough to grow morning glories, some flowers, and a herb garden during the summer.

The only other change to the building that I would have made is that I would have had the pyramid over the elevator shaft rise at the same angle as the top of Commerce Place. Other than those two changes, I think the design is certainly acceptable and coveys to the outsider what it is - a condominium building (It's the old form follows function argument). The top 3 floors will be a different colored brick, there will be a cornice, and the area between the garage and residences will be covered nicely. I think when it is finished it will be fine.

In any successful skyline, some buildings are background buildings and some buildings are statement buildings that cry out "look at me". The World Trade Center is a statement building. Water Street was designed to be a background building and that is fine. It would be awful if all the buildings were statement buildings.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #1902
DCKenny

Likes (Received): 0

Since that weather is becoming nice I need to take a road trip to Baltimore and the change.
DCKenny no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #1903
tonyBmore
The rebirth of Bmore...

Just checking in on the 9:30, 8x10, Rams Head discussion...I've only been to the "new" 8x10" a couple times since it reopened, but compared to what it use to be, its glorious. I remember seeing a band named Lotion there in 1994 and the ceiling leaked on the drummer throughout the entire set.
I went to Rams Head several months ago for a couple shows and thought it had a pretty nice view from upstairs. I'm going tonight to see Public Enemy (anyone else?) and I'm interested to see how the sound holds up for a hip hop show.
I've been to 9:30 quite a few times and have to say its the best by far. Like someone mentioned earlier, they usually get the best shows. Once I get over my initial loathing of driving to DC, I usually have a blast. I will say the last time I was there it was unbelievably packed and all I kept thinking was "please, no fire. Please, no fire." That's my two cents.
tonyBmore no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #1904
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

seriously now, WTF is up with a Baltimore banner???

Is it just because we haven't submitted one?
cgunna no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1905
cgunna
2A

speaking of Rams Head, I think its a great venue. Personally I prefer it to 930 but then I have only seen one show at 930 (the Roots). As far as the layout, i think it would be a bit better if the stage was along the left wall (when looking out from the stage). It would allow for the crowd to be back deeper from the stage. But, I like it.

Going to see Nas there next month.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #1906
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
seriously now, WTF is up with a Baltimore banner???

Is it just because we haven't submitted one?
I think so. I think the forumers have to create a banner in order to have one up there. I doubt the moderators create each and every banner. If you browse other forums, some of them have threads dedicated specifically to creating and posting new banners. Perhaps we could create one....
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #1907
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Yep! I'm moving to the "Land of Drunks". I'll have The Block on one side, Power Plant Live on another, and the IH on the third. Does that make me a "Drunkard"? Should be fun!

That's a very nice picture!
Wow, Water Tower looks great. On another note, I haven't been on here recently because the girl I was going to propose to in a few months broke up with me because she needed some "time away from me to make sure I was the right one." Not sure what that means or when she will come back and let me know one way or the other, but it certainly has been devastating to me and I'm very upset/hurt. I need something to cheer me up. Where is a new tall?
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #1908
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Wow, Water Tower looks great. On another note, I haven't been on here recently because the girl I was going to propose to in a few months broke up with me because she needed some "time away from me to make sure I was the right one." Not sure what that means or when she will come back and let me know one way or the other, but it certainly has been devastating to me and I'm very upset/hurt. I need something to cheer me up. Where is a new tall?
wow. that sucks. i'm not going to sit here and chide in wih my 2 cents on your situation...i'm sure plenty of people have done that for you. so in the mean time...have a bottle of wine, fall asleep, and dream of taaaaaaaaaaaaaaal buildings!
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #1909
tonyBmore
The rebirth of Bmore...

sorry to hear that scdeclue. I'm with quabex on this one...drink it off.
tonyBmore no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1910
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Starting anew
With the Citigroup deal complete and a new home being built, Legg Mason starts an ambitous campaign to reshape its corporate identity

Originally published March 13, 2007
Independently impressive. Together extraordinary.

That's what Legg Mason wants people to think of the company -- the new Legg Mason, as executives say. And they're spending $4 million over the next four months to make it happen.

Today, advertisements highlighting the company's seven subsidiaries will begin appearing in print publications across the country -- including The Sun -- followed by commercials on elevator monitors in Los Angeles, New York City and Chicago, and later an Internet campaign.

It's the Baltimore-based company's first U.S. branding effort and meant to make sure financial advisers know what Legg Mason does, after corporate studies revealed that many don't. The company's hoping the campaign develops a stronger image for Legg after an identity-shaking deal with Citigroup 15 months ago.

"We are now emerging as a pure asset-management company [rather than a stock brokerage], and what we're really trying to do is get the story out," said Donald Froude, head of the Baltimore firm's U.S. distribution efforts.

Corporate branding is as old as corporations, with reputations built and broken based on a company's image. Lexus leans on luxury for its status. Apple opts for cool, compared with Microsoft's conservative approach. And McDonald's makes its money marketing fun fast food.

Even Baltimore is working on an image upgrade, launching a "Get In On It" slogan last summer meant to draw tourists to a city that -- according to the Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association -- is "energetic, easily navigated and spontaneously fun."

"Branding is saying 'Here I am, and this is what I do' in a compelling, memorable way," said Kara Brook, president and chief executive of Brook Group, an Ellicott City corporate branding firm.

But in the financial services world, branding also has to say "your money's safe with us" by conjuring pictures of stability, trust and security, she said.

Before a scandal in the 1980s, stock brokerage E.F. Hutton & Co. was best known for drawing consumer trust through commercials claiming that when its brokers talked, people listened. And New York Life, an insurance and investment business, hangs its hat on being "the company you keep" -- as in forever, with its long history.

"People are making big financial decisions with them," Brook said. "It is very important, because of that, for them to represent some sort of a cohesive campaign and identity."

Legg Mason's main business had been its stock brokerage until a few years ago, when it went on a buying spree. It acquired several companies that dealt in "asset management," which essentially means handling mutual funds as well as supervising accounts for the wealthy and large institutional investors.

By 2004, about 70 percent of the business was in asset management. The late 2005 deal with Citigroup pushed the percentage up to 100 and transformed Legg from a regional player to the fifth-largest money manager in the world.

The two organizations swapped certain holdings, turning Legg into a full asset manager and Citigroup -- which announced its own brand strategy shift last month -- into a stock brokerage.

The switch created a "learning curve for investors to get familiar with the [new] company," said Robert A. Lee, an analyst who follows Legg Mason for Keefe, Bruyette & Woods Inc. in New York

While many Baltimoreans recognize Legg Mason's name from the sign on its headquarters, which juts into the Baltimore skyline, but from which the company is slated to move to Harbor East in 2009, many others are unfamiliar with the business.

According to Legg Mason's research, the firm has a good reputation at home, but often those outside the Mid-Atlantic region don't know the name at all. Others simply associate Legg with its star money manager, Bill Miller, who is best known for beating the S&P 500 returns with his Value Trust mutual fund for 15 years running until he failed to do so last year. Legg used Miller's name often in its previous advertising.

"Now Legg Mason is much greater than that," said Benji Baer, Legg's director of marketing communications. "For the first time, under the Legg Mason banner or brand, you can now access seven of their largest affiliates."

Now included in the Legg portfolio are asset managers Western Asset, Clearbridge Advisors, Legg Mason Capital Management, Brandywine Global, and Batterymarch Financial Management, along with wealth managers Permal Group and mutual funds through Royce & Associates.

Legg is hoping to capitalize on individual company cachet, as well as transfer the prestige to other subsidiaries.

"[They're] trying to generate an image that goes across brands, so that you have the ability to take customers from one brand to another within the corporate family," said Roland Rust, chair of the Department of Marketing at the University of Maryland's Robert H. Smith School of Business.

"Once they get to know your brands, then they're more comfortable buying [into other subsidiaries]," Rust said.

To encourage that, Legg went with a campaign that takes apart classic pieces -- so far a violin and a pocket watch -- to highlight the innards, as well as the whole.

"In financial services advertising, where there's a lot of predictable messages, if you will, this will truly stand out and command attention," said Steve Gardner, whose New York firm, Gardner Nelson & Partners, created Legg's advertising.

Legg is giving it a four-month trial run to see, but marketing director Baer is confident: "It's people's money, it's people's futures and we take that very seriously and value that.... We wanted there to be certainly a level of seriousness to [the campaign] and I think we've achieved that."

[email protected]
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #1911
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

BTW, sorry about you and your girl, sdeclue. Hope things turn out good.
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #1912
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

on the 8x10/9.30/ramshead/sonar/recher:

i've been to shows at all of these venues. plenty of times. and plenty of times i've heard the same band sound crappy in one and great at another. they each have their pros and cons. personally...i don't have an issue with the sight lines at RHL. i like the fact that they have some seating up in the balcony. the point is...they can all be solid, successful venues IF, and only IF the people of baltimore start giving a crap about live music. i forget who it was who was complaining about the state of local clubs but just got out to the rams head for the first time last night! as a musician...PLEASE go out and see someone...anyone. once you see the pleasure of live music you start looking for it and the clubs follow with better bookings and better amenities.
btw...the red star in fells point is now featuring bands on weekends. go and support them. also, the austin grill in canton has a full stage with house sound now. its really cool because the stage area is non-smoking and is table service!!! live music all weekend. of course there's ALWAYS good music at the cats eye pub.

so who am i missing? we;'ve had a lot of conversation about the big players, but not of the little guys.... whats YOUR favorite small venue? mine are (in no order)
-cats eye pub
-austin grill
-13th floor
-new haven lounge
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #1913
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Quote:
I would have left the bathroom windows the size they are because there are too many perverts out there with binoculars.
Must be some nice binoculars to see 30 floors up and across town.

Just messing with ya, I understand your concerns too.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #1914
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Also, I feel your pain SDeclue. I went through something similar once. Alchol is not the answer, but everybody knows it helps alot...just dont overdo it.

Last edited by Baltimoreborn1; March 14th, 2007 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Show Sdeclue some love
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #1915
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
sorry for the bad news, sdeclue. i can't say that i know how you feel, but i'll just say be strong and be positive. take what she said in a positive way. but you're right about one thing; a new tall would cure ANY problems that we have at that present time.....lol.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #1916
MountVEE

Oh, I'm sorry I thought this was the Baltimore development not sdeclue's realtionship development.

j/k
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #1917
NewBaltimore1980

Likes (Received): 1

They need to knock down the Perkins Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
soon. Wow a 12 lane bowling alley.

Annapolis restaurants pick Harbor East for expansion
Baltimore Business Journal - March 9, 2007by Julekha DashStaff

Nicholas Griner | Staff
Annapolis restaurateurs Jody Danek, Gavin Buckley and Stanley Hsu.
View Larger
A historic building near Harbor East is getting a $2 million renovation and will house two restaurants, a 12-lane bowling alley, salon and scooter shop by June.

Two popular Annapolis restaurants, Tsunami and Lemongrass, will make their Baltimore debut in the Union Box Co.'s rehabbed retail building at the corner of Bank Street and Central Ave. The other tenants include Mustang Alley's, a restaurant, lounge and bowling alley, the Edge on Central day spa, and a scooter shop, Vmoto. Piedigrotta Bakery of Baltimore will move its bakery to the site from another location on Central Avenue in May.
NewBaltimore1980 no está en línea  
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #1918
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBaltimore1980 View Post
They need to knock down the Perkins Homes
Whoa! Where have you been? It's been a long time since your last post. I was starting to think you left us for good.
Good to have ya back.
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #1919
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

I dont know if I should do this, but I know alot of you all are diehard baltimore sports fans, so I figure some of you may remember the old Baltimore Colts .I saw on the news this site that is trying to get the Football Hall of Fame to recognice the Baltimore Colts separatly from Indianapolis. They said Johnny Unitas is labeled as a player of the "Indianapolis Colts", which made me sign.

http://www.coltsheritage.com/

I hope I didnt break any rules.
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #1920
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Yep! I'm moving to the "Land of Drunks". I'll have The Block on one side, Power Plant Live on another, and the IH on the third. Does that make me a "Drunkard"? Should be fun!

That's a very nice picture!
You could always visit the Grace and Hope Mission (on Gay St., just north of your building), if you need some redemption!!

Seriously, though, those ladies have been doing some good works for a long time. They have a presence in several east coast cities..my sister-in-law is one of the missionaries, but not in Baltimore.

The poor ladies have had their TV reception ruined by all the talls going up around them...when Commerce Place went up it almost completely blocked it...and there is no cable TV downtown. With your building going up, I can't imagine what it is like now. I'm expecting to get a call from them any day now to see if I can fix it!!
micrip no está en línea  

Closed Thread