daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 16th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #1961
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalWash View Post
We need a non-development thread or something for sports and girlfriend related discussion.
That'll be rather difficult primarily because most of the posters here have been members at SSC or SSP for a while now. The majority are emotionally attached to the one another and comfortable in bringing their personal lives into conversation. I know this is a development forum, but the Baltimore Development gang is the most family oriented group of guys and gal (s) than any other forum. I'm glad to be apart of that.

Now all of you put up money towards my tuition.
bmore87 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #1962
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
now THATS funny!!!!

aside from the fact that we all do get along here. there isn't too much going on in the development world right now. the few little tidbits i've gotten lately is that the new mercy building is currently slated to be about 14 or 15 stories, but there are still no renderings of it. the hold up in fells point regarding the pier is that survey of the pilings and foundation came back worse than expected. the engineer i talked to who worked on the report said he was suprised it was still standing. of course, this means more money. and of course, our friend jj clark is in the mix so i wouldn't hold my breath too long on seeing it move forward.

btw...if you don't want to give to bmore87's tuition, my beer fund is now taking donations!
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #1963
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Thanks for all the kind words. They really have been gutting Silo Point out as I have seen on my drives to Philly to see my now ex-gf. With me right now, just about everything and anything I see or talk about somehow ties in with her. It's the worst.

Great win for the Terps today!

You probably know it already but, most of us have been there. Chin up bro...

I spend my fair share of time on Cross St.

If you or any other SSC people wanna meet up for beers and nerdy development talk let me know.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #1964
tonyBmore
The rebirth of Bmore...

Likes (Received): 0

Last non-development post from me - I swear. SBalto, we bought a home in Valley Mede which is located in between Rt 40, Rt. 99 and St. Johns Lane. Huck, I work at Mt. Hebron.
tonyBmore no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #1965
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87
That'll be rather difficult primarily because most of the posters here have been members at SSC or SSP for a while now. The majority are emotionally attached to the one another and comfortable in bringing their personal lives into conversation. I know this is a development forum, but the Baltimore Development gang is the most family oriented group of guys and gal (s) than any other forum. I'm glad to be apart of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
aside from the fact that we all do get along here, there isn't too much going on in the development world right now.
yeah, i agree. we have a good thing going on here. "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" (i love that quote!!). so when development news comes, we'll address it.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #1966
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyBmore View Post
Last non-development post from me - I swear. SBalto, we bought a home in Valley Mede which is located in between Rt 40, Rt. 99 and St. Johns Lane. Huck, I work at Mt. Hebron.
Valley Mead is very nice.....Mt. Hebron was in the news a couple weeks ago for all the wrong reasons hunh? Things cooled down over there?
southbalto no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #1967
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post

Yeah, the side conversations are a big part of the reason I decided to join SSC. It shows the ability to be versatile when conversations dye off a bit. I'm all for it just as long as we are able to stick to the development news in the process.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #1968
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
yeah, i agree. we have a good thing going on here. "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" (i love that quote!!). so when development news comes, we'll address it.
I agree.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #1969
tonyBmore
The rebirth of Bmore...

yeah, things have settled down. As you can imagine, we had quite a few confused and upset kids roaming the building after the kid was killed. We sure haven't had much good press lately what with our sewage leaks in the classrooms and the tragedy that occured a few weeks ago. The sad part is Hebron really is a great school, but the negative pub is starting to take its toll.
tonyBmore no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #1970
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 312

Open Spaces - Why are there so many properties for lease on Charles Street?

JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
March 15, 2007 4:57 PM

The storefronts are dark inside many of the historic buildings lining Baltimore’s Charles Street, which many consider the city’s grandest thoroughfare.

There are now 10 vacancies in the four blocks between Saratoga Street and the George Washington Monument, the central corridor linking Mount Vernon with the city’s Central Business District.

Merchants and officials acknowledge the vacancies but say the area is in transition, not decline.

“There’s a lot going on behind the scenes,” assured Robin Budish, executive director of the Historic Charles Street Association. “There’s nothing to worry about.”

A number of businesses have closed in the last year. The Blimpie’s sandwich shop at 100 N. Charles St. closed a few months back. Chef’s Express, the café inside the Women’s Industrial Exchange, closed in February. The Kawasaki sushi restaurant shut down last year after its owners were arrested for employing illegal immigrants and remains unoccupied.

But new retailers have apparently been vying to fill the gaps, which Budish describes as signs of change rather than a poor business climate. She pointed to the January opening of a Superfresh supermarket at the corner of Charles and Saratoga streets as a strong indication that retailers have confidence in downtown.

“I haven’t seen this much life in these blocks of Charles Street in the last 15 years,” said J. Kirby Fowler, president of the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc.

Vince Alimo, owner of 403 N. Charles St., a three-story office and apartment building with ground-level retail, agrees. He has been looking for five months to find a tenant to lease his storefront, from which Paris West Optical relocated to a larger space up the street. But the wait has not been for a lack of interest.

“It’s not just renting it to somebody; I could have done that months ago,” Alimo said. “We need to get the right mix on the street. To me, that’s important.”

Alimo said he has received “plenty of calls” about the building, mainly from restaurants, which he thinks are overrepresented on Charles Street. One woman wanted to use the space for a cosmetics store. But Alimo said he is in no rush to lease the space. He lives and works above the store and rents to other office tenants.

“I have to take my feelings into it, my other tenants’ into it, and whether it’s going to work for the street,” Alimo said. “I really want whatever business comes in to be a success.”

Charm City Cupcakes in November moved its bakery and opened a gourmet “cupcake-to-go” counter in the Brown’s Arcade building. The company, which began across the street in the basement of the Women’s Industrial Exchange, bakes 2,500 cupcakes a week.

Owner Sandra Long said the shop got an extra boost from Sunday’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade, which marched south down Charles Street and lured a large crowd. Charm City Cupcakes also draws hungry patrons on lunch breaks from their jobs in the surrounding business district.

“I do think that we are still in the middle of the renaissance. You see the transition,” Long said. “I think in a year to 18 months … Charles Street will be completely revitalized.”

Marketing company Engine Performance will soon turn on the lights of 407 N. Charles St. The company bought the now-vacant building and plans to move there from 301 N. Charles St., which is too small for the growing business.

“We like Charles Street a lot,” said Scott Robertson, Engine Performance’s owner. “We think it’s a great area and an area that’s really coming back, too.”

Rather than move to a new neighborhood, the company decided to stay on Charles Street because Robertson feels the area is up-and-coming.

“You can just feel a new vibe on Charles Street,” Robertson said. “There are more people out carrying shopping bags, and that’s been a huge boost.”

At 318 N. Charles St., the J. Brown Jewelers building, a sign in the darkened window announces, “London’s Boutique Coming Soon.” Budish described the store as an upscale boutique for men, women and children that she expects to open before the end of the year.

The owner of the Kawasaki building at 413 N. Charles St. is also negotiating with another restaurant tenant, Budish said.

A national retailer is eyeing a spot at 300 N. Charles St., said Richard “Dicky” Darrell, who handles leasing for the building with Manekin LLC, a Columbia-based real estate firm.

The formerly blighted building at the corner of Charles and Saratoga streets was redeveloped in 2000 by Savannah Development Corp. Since then, 1st Mariner Bank opened a branch inside and apartments have opened on the upper levels.

“Finding the right tenants has been difficult simply because Baltimore historically did not attract these kinds of tenants,” Darrell said. “Now that the city is attracting a lot of residential … that’s what’s turning Baltimore into a more desirable urban location.”

Brown’s Arcade, which in February sold for $2.8 million, has two vacant store spaces. The new owner is currently negotiating leases with tenants who could fill the vacancies in the months ahead, said Leo M. McDermott, a senior vice president with Corridor Reznick LLC, which acted as a broker in the sale.

“There’s still a lot going on along Charles Street, both north and south of Brown’s Arcade,” he said. “I think in a couple of years that will be a very vibrant retail corridor.”

Empty space at the southwest corner of Charles and Franklin streets disappeared altogether last year when the Archdiocese of Baltimore demolished the old Rochambeau apartments. In a move that was condemned by historical preservationists, the Archdiocese destroyed the building to construct a prayer garden for tourists visiting the nearby Basilica of the Assumption cathedral.

The controversial project, which some think will destroy the continuity of retail on Charles Street, could have positive side effects said Owen Rouse, vice president of Manekin LLC. He thinks the prayer garden could help retailers by bringing a new population of tourists to the street.

“There’s a big business in religious tourism,” he said. “That will ultimately be good for merchants.”

While most look forward to a prosperous future, retailers admit that Charles Street is far from perfect.

Alimo thinks building owners should have higher standards for their tenants, many of whom do not carefully plan for businesses they open. That leads to high turnover, which causes more street-level vacancies.

“Most [new businesses] don’t have a good idea of what they’re doing, how they’re going to do it, and don’t have a whole lot of money,” Alimo said. “Turnover is never a good thing.”

Many merchants tend to shut down after business hours and refuse to open on the weekends, which Alimo thinks keeps tourists away from Charles Street. Those merchants have the mentality that downtown stops breathing after 5 p.m., but that is no longer the case, he said.

“In the springtime, when people walk from the Inner Harbor … there’s nowhere to go because there’s nothing open,” Alimo said. “To get more business, people have to visit and shop and go home and tell people what they bought.”

Last edited by Balmurfan; March 16th, 2007 at 04:48 AM.
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #1971
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

I think its all cool cause it IS a real friendly forum.. I was just thinking if someone new checks the forum out.. theyd have to go back at least 4 pages to see that we actually talk about Development News. Maybe they wouldnt make it that far and would think its some slumber party going on here and would turn away... thats all

Go Terps ..

How bout dem dukies
House3780 no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #1972
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Terrapin/ Relationship Development News 20

Go Terps!
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #1973
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I think the design of 414 Water could have been improved, but over all it is quite acceptable. As I've said many times before, I LIKE BRICK! Someone said it looked cheap. I don't think it looks any cheaper than the tower at Cross Keys or the many condo buildings on upper Charles Street or University Parkway.

The main improvement I would have made would be to have floor to ceiling windows on all the main room openings. When you have a kick ass view, you want to see as much of it as possible. I would have left the bathroom windows the size they are because there are too many perverts out there with binoculars.

If Water Street didn't have balconies, I wouldn't have purchased there. Having lived at Sutton Place, I know what an asset it is to be able to cookout on the balcony (electric grills are legal) during a summer day, or simply be able to rest on a chaise lounge and watch the world go by. My balcony is 22 feet by 8 feet which, if you ask me, is plenty large for most people. It certainly is large enough to grow morning glories, some flowers, and a herb garden during the summer.

The only other change to the building that I would have made is that I would have had the pyramid over the elevator shaft rise at the same angle as the top of Commerce Place. Other than those two changes, I think the design is certainly acceptable and coveys to the outsider what it is - a condominium building (It's the old form follows function argument). The top 3 floors will be a different colored brick, there will be a cornice, and the area between the garage and residences will be covered nicely. I think when it is finished it will be fine.

In any successful skyline, some buildings are background buildings and some buildings are statement buildings that cry out "look at me". The World Trade Center is a statement building. Water Street was designed to be a background building and that is fine. It would be awful if all the buildings were statement buildings.
Sorry for going back a few pages for this , but I havn't been able to read the board recently.

I have a question about balconeys on these tall condo towers. are they comfortable? I mean at 30 stories up, does it get too cold, and especially windy to actually use?

I have never lived in one so I have no expierence, also a balconey 30 stories up would freak out my fear of heights.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #1974
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
Open Spaces - Why are there so many properties for lease on Charles Street?

JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
March 15, 2007 4:57 PM

The storefronts are dark inside many of the historic buildings lining Baltimore’s Charles Street, which many consider the city’s grandest thoroughfare.

There are now 10 vacancies in the four blocks between Saratoga Street and the George Washington Monument, the central corridor linking Mount Vernon with the city’s Central Business District.

Merchants and officials acknowledge the vacancies but say the area is in transition, not decline.

“There’s a lot going on behind the scenes,” assured Robin Budish, executive director of the Historic Charles Street Association. “There’s nothing to worry about.”

A number of businesses have closed in the last year. The Blimpie’s sandwich shop at 100 N. Charles St. closed a few months back. Chef’s Express, the café inside the Women’s Industrial Exchange, closed in February. The Kawasaki sushi restaurant shut down last year after its owners were arrested for employing illegal immigrants and remains unoccupied.

But new retailers have apparently been vying to fill the gaps, which Budish describes as signs of change rather than a poor business climate. She pointed to the January opening of a Superfresh supermarket at the corner of Charles and Saratoga streets as a strong indication that retailers have confidence in downtown.

“I haven’t seen this much life in these blocks of Charles Street in the last 15 years,” said J. Kirby Fowler, president of the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc.

Vince Alimo, owner of 403 N. Charles St., a three-story office and apartment building with ground-level retail, agrees. He has been looking for five months to find a tenant to lease his storefront, from which Paris West Optical relocated to a larger space up the street. But the wait has not been for a lack of interest.

“It’s not just renting it to somebody; I could have done that months ago,” Alimo said. “We need to get the right mix on the street. To me, that’s important.”

Alimo said he has received “plenty of calls” about the building, mainly from restaurants, which he thinks are overrepresented on Charles Street. One woman wanted to use the space for a cosmetics store. But Alimo said he is in no rush to lease the space. He lives and works above the store and rents to other office tenants.

“I have to take my feelings into it, my other tenants’ into it, and whether it’s going to work for the street,” Alimo said. “I really want whatever business comes in to be a success.”

Charm City Cupcakes in November moved its bakery and opened a gourmet “cupcake-to-go” counter in the Brown’s Arcade building. The company, which began across the street in the basement of the Women’s Industrial Exchange, bakes 2,500 cupcakes a week.

Owner Sandra Long said the shop got an extra boost from Sunday’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade, which marched south down Charles Street and lured a large crowd. Charm City Cupcakes also draws hungry patrons on lunch breaks from their jobs in the surrounding business district.

“I do think that we are still in the middle of the renaissance. You see the transition,” Long said. “I think in a year to 18 months … Charles Street will be completely revitalized.”

Marketing company Engine Performance will soon turn on the lights of 407 N. Charles St. The company bought the now-vacant building and plans to move there from 301 N. Charles St., which is too small for the growing business.

“We like Charles Street a lot,” said Scott Robertson, Engine Performance’s owner. “We think it’s a great area and an area that’s really coming back, too.”

Rather than move to a new neighborhood, the company decided to stay on Charles Street because Robertson feels the area is up-and-coming.

“You can just feel a new vibe on Charles Street,” Robertson said. “There are more people out carrying shopping bags, and that’s been a huge boost.”

At 318 N. Charles St., the J. Brown Jewelers building, a sign in the darkened window announces, “London’s Boutique Coming Soon.” Budish described the store as an upscale boutique for men, women and children that she expects to open before the end of the year.

The owner of the Kawasaki building at 413 N. Charles St. is also negotiating with another restaurant tenant, Budish said.

A national retailer is eyeing a spot at 300 N. Charles St., said Richard “Dicky” Darrell, who handles leasing for the building with Manekin LLC, a Columbia-based real estate firm.

The formerly blighted building at the corner of Charles and Saratoga streets was redeveloped in 2000 by Savannah Development Corp. Since then, 1st Mariner Bank opened a branch inside and apartments have opened on the upper levels.

“Finding the right tenants has been difficult simply because Baltimore historically did not attract these kinds of tenants,” Darrell said. “Now that the city is attracting a lot of residential … that’s what’s turning Baltimore into a more desirable urban location.”

Brown’s Arcade, which in February sold for $2.8 million, has two vacant store spaces. The new owner is currently negotiating leases with tenants who could fill the vacancies in the months ahead, said Leo M. McDermott, a senior vice president with Corridor Reznick LLC, which acted as a broker in the sale.

“There’s still a lot going on along Charles Street, both north and south of Brown’s Arcade,” he said. “I think in a couple of years that will be a very vibrant retail corridor.”

Empty space at the southwest corner of Charles and Franklin streets disappeared altogether last year when the Archdiocese of Baltimore demolished the old Rochambeau apartments. In a move that was condemned by historical preservationists, the Archdiocese destroyed the building to construct a prayer garden for tourists visiting the nearby Basilica of the Assumption cathedral.

The controversial project, which some think will destroy the continuity of retail on Charles Street, could have positive side effects said Owen Rouse, vice president of Manekin LLC. He thinks the prayer garden could help retailers by bringing a new population of tourists to the street.

“There’s a big business in religious tourism,” he said. “That will ultimately be good for merchants.”

While most look forward to a prosperous future, retailers admit that Charles Street is far from perfect.

Alimo thinks building owners should have higher standards for their tenants, many of whom do not carefully plan for businesses they open. That leads to high turnover, which causes more street-level vacancies.

“Most [new businesses] don’t have a good idea of what they’re doing, how they’re going to do it, and don’t have a whole lot of money,” Alimo said. “Turnover is never a good thing.”

Many merchants tend to shut down after business hours and refuse to open on the weekends, which Alimo thinks keeps tourists away from Charles Street. Those merchants have the mentality that downtown stops breathing after 5 p.m., but that is no longer the case, he said.

“In the springtime, when people walk from the Inner Harbor … there’s nowhere to go because there’s nothing open,” Alimo said. “To get more business, people have to visit and shop and go home and tell people what they bought.”
I especially have a problem with this part of Charles Street businesses because there are closed most of the time that I'm not working. I walk down that street all the time on weekends and i'm always really surprised that they're closed. It's just a bad business strategy. I wish people would stop depending on weekday tourist-only crowds. Even banks down there are only open monday thru friday. Honestly, I changed banks because of it.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #1975
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Old March 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #1976
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Sorry for going back a few pages for this , but I havn't been able to read the board recently.

I have a question about balconeys on these tall condo towers. are they comfortable? I mean at 30 stories up, does it get too cold, and especially windy to actually use?

I have never lived in one so I have no expierence, also a balconey 30 stories up would freak out my fear of heights.
Ive had one 33 floors up. Never had any problems as far as wind is concerned... and.. it can get too cold for a balcony at any height!!
House3780 no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #1977
waj0527

Likes (Received): 499

http://www.monmadison.com/index.html

this is currently being developed at the corner of Monument and Madison in Mt. Vernon. There's a rendering in the banner at the top of the pages.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #1978
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
http://www.monmadison.com/index.html

this is currently being developed at the corner of Monument and Madison in Mt. Vernon. There's a rendering in the banner at the top of the pages.
Monument and Madison run parallel, east-west. Since demo in Mt. Vernon is next to impossible these days (except by neglect, as in the old Peabody Book Shop and Beer Stube on Charles Street), guess this would be on the surface parking lot on Eutaw, bounded by Madison on the north and Monument on the south. As for the architecture: eh, hard to tell from that rendering. Kind of a 70s Brutalist vibe with those slanted elements. Good transit oriented development w/ the light rail stop less than a block away.

DEPT. OF SECOND THOUGHTS: Looks like it's on the SW corner of Howard and Madison, just north of AT Jones and Sons. Think that's outside of the Mt. Vernon CHAP district, so demo (some 19c. buildings on the corner) would be involved (and allowed). Which is not to say there won't be a fight about it.

THIRD THOUGHTS: There's demo, but also infill of a surface parking lot. And it's still close to light rail. And that part of the neighborhood could use all the life it can get.

Last edited by jamie_hunt; March 16th, 2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: forgot how to spell "rendering"; second & third thoughts
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #1979
BaltimoreDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
Ive had one 33 floors up. Never had any problems as far as wind is concerned... and.. it can get too cold for a balcony at any height!!
A balcony - or a rooftop deck - is very welcome in the summer. It's always cooler up there. We can get a breeze on our rooftop deck on the hottest, stillest day. Way better than street level.
BaltimoreDeb no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #1980
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Yes, this is very true. I have several friends that live in the Canton and Fells Point areas that own rooftop homes. They're very inviting.

Closed Thread