daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #1
thryve
같같같같같

Likes (Received): 22

How do you feel about the towers we are getting now?

After decades of the skyscraper, things have changed.

There was once the Empire State Buildings of the world, then Sears Towers and Lever Houses... the world outside of North America slowly got into the game and put up its towers.

Today around the world we have massive projects in Dubai, the Chicago Spire, NYC's NY Times tower, Shangri-La in Vancouver, Eureka Tower in Melbourne, towers in Bahrain, China, Singapore, and the list goes on...

I know I've left 99.99% of buildings (historically and in modern times) out of this posting, but this thread is for everyone... how do you feel about the architecture and towers we are getting today? It's obvious we're booming, as a world economy... are you happy about this?

Please make reference to specific buildings, as I did to some extent in this posting.

-thryve
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

to me, design nowadays is going for the "sleek, clean-cut, and awe-inspiring" phase. We used to have the Grand old days where one skyscraper would put a whole country on the map, now it is more of a City pride deal.

take for example Taipei 101. awe-inspiring, to say the least. but what else does it do for us, other than be the WTB? its ugly.

now look at 2IFC in hong kong. verrry sleek. almost to the point where it is basically setbacks, forming a slowly rounded top, with an interesting crown. but what does it do for us? Ill admit that it is probably the worlds most beautiful building, but it is so simple.

burj dubai. I wont even go there because for this little teeny tiny UAE to be doing this is simply a publicity stunt.

clean cut....hmmm. that OTHER HK skyscraper the bank of china comes to mind. As you can see, China has the modern formula for skyscrapers down pat.

petronas towers....way overdone.

as you can see, the golden days of the skyscraper are over. I wasnt even alive during these days, yet Im still aware they will never return. All the mega tall skyscrapers nowadays are too flashy and lack real feeling.
and that is sad. there are many great designs out there, too many to count. my only grudge is against the style of scrapers today in general, when compared to back in the day

Last edited by Rizzato; January 17th, 2007 at 08:31 AM.
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #3
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

I really think that we should slow down with the supertalls. They're getting taller and taller, I'd much rather really nice 200m buildings. I think that we're racing to build taller but also forgetting about the nice design.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2576

Most of today's scrapers are glass and steel especially the ones in HK. But I find alot of new scrapers innovative in design like the Chicago Spire for example.

Dubai on the other hand has an overkill of skyscrapers with several planned and approved buildings over 1000 ft.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #5
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Most of today's scrapers are glass and steel especially the ones in HK. But I find alot of new scrapers innovative in design like the Chicago Spire for example.

Dubai on the other hand has an overkill of skyscrapers with several planned and approved buildings over 1000 ft.
For me personally, I think the building of these uber supertalls like Burj Dubai kinda kills the whole WTB race. It just doesn't have the flair anymore, and also, how big is too big, sure it looks nice, but what does it matter if it's not completely in scale with the rest of the area (not to mention that the designs aren't always as nice as the height).
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
For me personally, I think the building of these uber supertalls like Burj Dubai kinda kills the whole WTB race. It just doesn't have the flair anymore, and also, how big is too big, sure it looks nice, but what does it matter if it's not completely in scale with the rest of the area (not to mention that the designs aren't always as nice as the height).
Unless the Millennium Tower in Tokyo is built then the Burj will have a competition.

Yes The Burj is much taller compared to its neighbouring scrapers. But really, does Dubai need such megastructure?

Old January 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
But really, does Dubai need such megastructure?
ahh, but what a megastructure it is!
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #8
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzato View Post
ahh, but what a megastructure it is!
It defintely is. And I think Dubai deserves to have one since it's positioning itself to become a world city and the centre of the Middle East.

But again, I still raises the question if Dubai needs one.

Old January 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #9
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17827

Dubai is on a whole different level, and shouldn't be compared with other cities of the world. Dubai has a lot of money, and can spend their way to get architectural masterpieces that other cities simply can't afford. In the end, what we get is what companies want to build to break even and profit.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #10
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Well, there's a worldwide boom nowadays but surely there must be some good reason why so many supertalls are being built. Have they worked out how to build cheaper, save floor space, better elevator systems, etc?
The whole fake or sterile feeling is because there are so many and all new. Sure they don't have the same feeling as the ones built in the good old days but that's only because they're been around for ages and everyone recognises them. I'm sure in 50 years time we'll be looking back on the new ones built today in the same way
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #11
thryve
같같같같같

Yes, we may look back someday at towers built around 2007 and see them as classics as well, but isn't it safe to say "They don't build them like they used to"? Perhaps the new towers will never look as substantial and powerful as those old stone ones?
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #12
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

i think they are improving after a low level or crap ones!!!

i think that skyscrapers were at the height in the 1920s-1930s with the empire state building and rockerfeller centre! but in the 60s and 70s yes they were taller e.g. sears tower , world trade centrebut they didnt look as good. but now i think that the modurn galss wonders we get now are realy good!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #13
thryve
같같같같같

So we've come full circle in a sense... back to good towers again?
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #14
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

I think that as the buildings get higher and higher, the designed get lazier and lazier. I find that many buildings being built now are just all glass and it takes away from the whole skyscraper feeling.
Old January 19th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #15
Ginza

Likes (Received): 7

I belive the towers/skyscrapers being built represent what we are and what we will become
Ginza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #16
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve View Post
So we've come full circle in a sense... back to good towers again?
Depends on if you like the stuff in the 50's-70's. I certainly do, but many people on this forum just write off those buildings as "boxes."
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #17
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

I really disagree with the people criticizing todays designs. You have to remember when the empire state building was built, people raised the ame questions and eventually everyone started to love them. I find that todays designs are very artistic and very representative of its time. I am sure they will become classics in the future.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #18
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
I really disagree with the people criticizing todays designs. You have to remember when the empire state building was built, people raised the ame questions and eventually everyone started to love them. I find that todays designs are very artistic and very representative of its time. I am sure they will become classics in the future.
thats exactly how I feel, that the designs we have now are GREAT
but the whole sleek, glassy artistic building theme is not my favorite. I like art deco and more humble buildings...not this burj dubai and moscow tower crap. chicago spire is a nice design, call me biased, better than BD and moscow.
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #19
billyandmandy

Likes (Received): 0

most new designs are really nice but they all look the same in a way, when you come to think of it. They're all glass and concrete, lots and lots of concrete. Now back in the 1920s and 1930's, now that's real artistic beauty- the details were important. The height too, of course but still... I like old classic skyscrapers more (though I love the IFC in Hong Kong and Federation Tower in Moscow).
billyandmandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #20
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyandmandy View Post
most new designs are really nice but they all look the same in a way, when you come to think of it. They're all glass and concrete, lots and lots of concrete. Now back in the 1920s and 1930's, now that's real artistic beauty- the details were important. The height too, of course but still... I like old classic skyscrapers more (though I love the IFC in Hong Kong and Federation Tower in Moscow).
If you go look at the 30s architecture from New York or Chicago, you ll realize that they are all pretty much the same too. Infact i think we have far more variety in today's designs.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote