daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #21
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^I agree with billyandmandy, at least the first sentence. Nowadays most starchitects seem to rehash the same designs and buildings in each city. So basically every city wants a Gehry building, a Piano museum expansion, etc.

There were definitely some very influential architects in the 20's and before, but they tended to limit their work to one or two cities, whereas today's architects have buildings everywhere and not enough variety.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #22
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
If you go look at the 30s architecture from New York or Chicago, you ll realize that they are all pretty much the same too. Infact i think we have far more variety in today's designs.
wow man. how wrong you are! also, I invite you to prove your point.
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #23
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Well, a lot 20s towers do have similar features, colours, etc.

Someone made a really good point yesterday (not in this thread I think) as to why people generally prefer older buildings. His point was "old buildings look like they were crafted by men while new ones look like they were crafted by machines".
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #24
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I think all this debate is mostly: "They have it, not us ... so it must be crap ..."
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #25
billyandmandy

Likes (Received): 0

that is so true. but hasn't it always been like this. ex: parisians hated the Eiffel at first, but now it's the city symbol. The Empire State Building was nicknamed the Empty State Buiding because people didn't like and rent it. In some thirty years today's skyscrapers will be classic beauty compared to the one's then. (they'll probably be 1-2km high giants with cities being buit around them just to service them (like Versailles ))
billyandmandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #26
billyandmandy

Likes (Received): 0

the above refers to what malec siad
billyandmandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #27
Inkdaub

Likes (Received): 3

I love the tall buildings no question. I love the ultra-modern designs and I love the gothic, the art deco, the fusion pieces...etc. What worries me is the speed with which some of these buildings are going up. Burj Dubai has cracks in it's foundation...will this be an isolated problem? To be honest I don't know how common it is to have cracks in the foundation of any building, much less one as big a Burj Dubai. It sounds like a problem, though. I guess what I worry about is that the competition to build taller and taller and faster and faster will cause problems in the future.
Inkdaub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:45 AM   #28
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzato View Post
wow man. how wrong you are! also, I invite you to prove your point.

They all look pretty similar to me. Brown boxes tapering off with small windows. With todays scrapers, you have everything from plain boxes, to egg shaped buidlings, to twisted buildings, to setbacks, to leaning towers, and snake like towers, and the list goes on and on.

I guess the main thing is, if you don't live in a city where there is a lot of QUALITY new constuction, yu start believing things like all modern towers suck. What you have to remember was not all the buildings built in the 20s and 30s was a chrysler or empire state and that most places of the world didn't see the quality you are speaking of. And in the same way, there is still a lot of quality skyscrapers going up, just in other parts of the world.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM   #29
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3404

Muhaha so much crap in this thread.
The WTB titel isn`t so special anymore because there are so many new taller skyscraper.....

We will have 3 new WTB`s in a timespan of 10 years. And your problem is?

The world had between 1890 and 1899 5 new WTB (in only 9 years)
Between 1908 and 1913 we had 3 new WTB`s (in only 5 years)
Between 1930 and 1931 we had 3 new WTB`s (that`s onyl one year)
http://www.skyscraper.org/TALLEST_TOWERS/tallest.htm

We are now in the biggest boom with the greatest designed skyscrapers since 1930 and you are complaining? Too shiny ? Are you stuck in the past?

Designes like this will write a new part in the histroy of architecture.

You don`t like it? Who cares?!
Your children will praise such builngs if you don`t do it by yourself

Last edited by Tom_Green; January 21st, 2007 at 09:46 AM.
Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:10 PM   #30
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

it's absolutely great how many skyscrapers are UC/Proposed/Approved today, especially the lots of supertalls. i love skylines with a dense wood of skyscrapers (like NY)
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM   #31
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
Designes like this will write a new part in the histroy of architecture.

You're looking at the "gems" of these developments, but look at the surrounding buildings - most of them suck.

Whereas in this photo, even the filler towers are full of detail.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:00 AM   #32
salvius

Likes (Received): 12

^ I think you've hit it. I'm a big fan of properly done modernist, international style buildings. But there's so much crap out there too. And yet if you look at the old days, even second rate buildings, hell even FACTORIES and WAREHOUSES we covet for lofts nowadays, had splendid architectural detail.
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM   #33
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Yes, yes, mine is good ... yours is bad.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM   #34
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
You're looking at the "gems" of these developments, but look at the surrounding buildings - most of them suck.

Whereas in this photo, even the filler towers are full of detail.
I believe many/most of the buildings around BD in that render are just placeholders and not the actual buildings going to be built on those plots. Atleast those in the DIFC area, and scrapers alongside SZR next to BD.

Whereas your example (New York?) is a actual photograph, i believe when u take a photo of the BD area in 2010 you will also see a lot of unique and detailed buildings and cityscaping in general.

The lack of detail can also be a result of the increasing strive to accomplish more stylistic pure deisgns. Its a matter of taste as different architectural styles have more or less detailed facades, more or less ornaments etc.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]

Last edited by Alle; January 23rd, 2007 at 01:11 PM.
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM   #35
salvius

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Yes, yes, mine is good ... yours is bad.
Please explain. I'm not sure I understand your comment; this criticism holds for any city.

There is no DOUBT that secondary buildings today receive far less care than they had at one time; the masonry I see on a FACTORY built hundred years ago often holds exquisite detail vs an average residential building. Think about the warehouses of today and warehouses of yesterday. That's the reason people like lofts. Nobody is going to be turning those non-descript modern-day warehouse boxes or factories into this a 100-150 years or so from now:

Not gonna happen!

Times are different and materials are cheaper, that's just how it is.
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM   #36
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1792

I can't say that higher=uglier because I like the design of Burj Dubai and it is easy to build 200m skyscrapers that look like shit.
But yes, the materials are cheaper and it's really a shame because in the year 2030 warehouses built today are worth nothing.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #37
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki View Post

. With todays scrapers, you have everything from plain boxes, to egg shaped buidlings, to twisted buildings, to setbacks, to leaning towers, and snake like towers, and the list goes on and on.
exactly my point, you proved it! I hate how buildings nowadays are seen as cool because they are some new stupid shape! I like buildings with class like the WTC, chrysler building, eiffel tower. modern buildings are cool...but are tacky when compared to classic architecture. enjoy your buildings (shaped like eggs)
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #38
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
exactly my point, you proved it! I hate how buildings nowadays are seen as cool because they are some new stupid shape! I like buildings with class like the WTC, chrysler building, eiffel tower. modern buildings are cool...but are tacky when compared to classic architecture. enjoy your buildings (shaped like eggs)
Once again, i think that shows clearly its a matter of taste. Personally i mostly prefer less detailed, "clean" designs.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #39
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

I'm definitely a fan of things like ESB, Chrysler, and then Sears, etc. But times have moved on, and I really love the glassy scrapers we are building nowadays, feels so much like the future sci/fi world we see in the movies. Personally, I love it when we build scrapers in context.

T101, for example, is not a bad tower, though not my fav, but is seriously out of place, just plopped in the middle of Taipei, so out of context.

2IFC, even, is a fantastic building, among my favorites, but is built too far out, and grabs too much attention from even a skyline like HK

Like hkskyline said, Dubai cannot be compared, I have to wait until its all done to comment on it. They're just very rich, and smart to invest in something before the world starts running out of oil. But to me, this amount of capital seems to turn Dubai into a plastic, mass manufactured city. The results might be good though.

Freedom Tower in NYC is another glassy, and I absolutely love it.

Nothing else is coming to mind right now.
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #40
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
What your saying is just taste. Some people don't like unique buildings, others find that unique buildings are great when done right. And although today you can find many unique builings done wrong, you can also fine more unique buildings done right than the number of buildings they had back in the 20s. What you call class, i call old, its just a matter of perspective.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote