daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Skylines

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Wut do u think?
10 143 17.57%
9.5 75 9.21%
9 104 12.78%
8.5 105 12.90%
8 101 12.41%
7.5 35 4.30%
7 49 6.02%
6.5 23 2.83%
6 19 2.33%
5.5 12 1.47%
5 16 1.97%
4.5 6 0.74%
4 8 0.98%
3.5 14 1.72%
3 and below 104 12.78%
Voters: 814. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #541
maconahey

Likes (Received): 38

Updated skyline image from Google Maps
maconahey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #542
maconahey

Likes (Received): 38

Photos by Justin Terveen

Uptown

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ninjatune/

JasnoDTX, dollaztx liked this post
maconahey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #543
JasnoDTX

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Dallas has a pretty impressive skyline, really dense and a lot of height. Looking down the highways going into downtown it looks just like a wall of skyscrapers. If Dallas had more of a signature tower, something really tall, it would be even cooler. Nice mix of boxes and other shapes, with a lot of old and new. Dallas really is a skyscraper city, and not just in downtown. 9/10
Couldn't have said it better myself and what's remarkable is that you posted this in 2003. Since then uptown has exploded and development in downtown is ramping up since now the occupancy is high. Its only a matter of time till we get our SuperTall!(or maybe more)

Please Ross Perot Jr. do your best!
JasnoDTX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #544
JasnoDTX

Likes (Received): 285

That Justin T. has some kick ass photos. I especially love the that one that focuses on uptown. Looks like a different city. I love downtown but tired of the old views from the southeast that everyone in the world is used to because it lacks to show the new development. That photographer has a great eye indeed! Makes me want to get out my camera. :p
JasnoDTX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #545
linum

Likes (Received): 657

For a city with quite a sizeable population... and the old "everything is bigger in Texas"... I would have expected Dallas to have a much bigger skyline...
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #546
JJG

Likes (Received): 1047

Quote:
Originally Posted by linum View Post
For a city with quite a sizeable population... and the old "everything is bigger in Texas"... I would have expected Dallas to have a much bigger skyline...
... are you talking city proper or metro?
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #547
minsamol

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Both?
minsamol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #548
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsamol View Post
Both?
Well... for one, population doesn't necessarily dictate the size of a skyline. But Dallas proper has just about the right skyline (I guess you could say) for its size. Because it's a major hub of business for the southwest and south central U.S., it has plenty of skyscrapers open for business.

And I know a lot of people don't seem to get this, but Dallas is not the only major city in its metro area. It shares the area with Fort Worth, which has its own suburbs and all. Both Dallas and Fort Worth's metro areas grew into each other over the years and pretty much became one back in the 70s. So it's really not just Dallas' metro.

JasnoDTX liked this post
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #549
linum

Quote:
I would go with metro population... in Australia for example 'city populations' mean very little ie. Brisbane City has less than 1m but Brisbane metro has 2.2m... or Sydney City has less than 200,000 but the Sydney metro is close to 5m in population...

Quote:
Well... for one, population doesn't necessarily dictate the size of a skyline. But Dallas proper has just about the right skyline (I guess you could say) for its size. Because it's a major hub of business for the southwest and south central U.S., it has plenty of skyscrapers open for business.

And I know a lot of people don't seem to get this, but Dallas is not the only major city in its metro area. It shares the area with Fort Worth, which has its own suburbs and all. Both Dallas and Fort Worth's metro areas grew into each other over the years and pretty much became one back in the 70s. So it's really not just Dallas' metro.
Fair enough - Dallas looks very suburban and sprawled out... the downtown core doesn't look built up much @ all...
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #550
JJG

Quote:
Fair enough - Dallas looks very suburban and sprawled out... the downtown core doesn't look built up much @ all...
Like many cities, especially Sunbelt (southern and western) cities in America, there was a time when the center of the city was the most vibrant and dense part of the city. EVERYTHING was in downtown. But after World War II, many people left the center of the city for the suburbs for several reasons. Better and newer neighborhoods, the rise of the automobile, "White Flight", etc. Dallas was no exception. Over the years, there was more emphasis on spreading out instead of building up within the city. However, the CBD of Dallas and many other cities have been putting more emphasis on building within the center of the city, again. Making it more dense and vibrant like it used to be.

...now, with all that said... a city's population DOES NOT dictate the size of a skyline. Even though I think it's perfect for what it is, the Dallas skyline could be much bigger or much smaller than it is here. But it still wont change the fact that 1.2 million people live in Dallas. I won't mention the metro area population because I already explained that.

Their skyline is still pretty built up. I mean, I don't know what you expect it to look like, but they don't call it "Big D" for no reason.

JasnoDTX liked this post
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #551
linum

Quote:
Like many cities, especially Sunbelt (southern and western) cities in America, there was a time when the center of the city was the most vibrant and dense part of the city. EVERYTHING was in downtown. But after World War II, many people left the center of the city for the suburbs for several reasons. Better and newer neighborhoods, the rise of the automobile, "White Flight", etc. Dallas was no exception. Over the years, there was more emphasis on spreading out instead of building up within the city. However, the CBD of Dallas and many other cities have been putting more emphasis on building within the center of the city, again. Making it more dense and vibrant like it used to be.

...now, with all that said... a city's population DOES NOT dictate the size of a skyline. Even though I think it's perfect for what it is, the Dallas skyline could be much bigger or much smaller than it is here. But it still wont change the fact that 1.2 million people live in Dallas. I won't mention the metro area population because I already explained that.

Their skyline is still pretty built up. I mean, I don't know what you expect it to look like, but they don't call it "Big D" for no reason.
Texans call it the 'Big D' no doubt

I am not shitting on Dallas - I'd like to see it one day... but I just made the observation the skyline isn't large... Australian cities are also very sprawled and suburban, but Melbourne and Sydney for example... have big inner-city populations and I guess I'm a inner-city/downtown kinda guy
Old August 17th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #552
JJG

Quote:

I am not shitting on Dallas - I'd like to see it one day... but I just made the observation the skyline isn't large...
I just don't see that. Unless you're comparing it to NYC, L.A., Chicago, Houston, Miami or any Chinese or South American skyline, I don't know how much bigger it needs to look...

(this photo is at least 3 years old, so it's a little out of date)

If it were in Australia, it would only be behind Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne in terms of skyline size.

JasnoDTX liked this post
Old August 17th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #553
linum

Quote:
I just don't see that. Unless you're comparing it to NYC, L.A., Chicago, Houston, Miami or any Chinese or South American skyline, I don't know how much bigger it needs to look...

(this photo is at least 3 years old, so it's a little out of date)

If it were in Australia, it would only be behind Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne in terms of skyline size.
Not a bad angle... cheers
Old August 17th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #554
JJG

Quote:
Not a bad angle... cheers
No problem.

Dallas is building, but it's mostly infill at the moment.
Old August 18th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #555
Ohno

Likes (Received): 34

nice
Ohno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #556
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2091

Quote:
Still bigger than Brisbane's skyline.

JasnoDTX, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 04:39 AM   #557
linum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Still bigger than Brisbane's skyline.
Dallas has a few taller towers YES but I'd say overall Brisbane has more density than DFW??

Last edited by linum; August 19th, 2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old August 19th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #558
Dallaz

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Texans call it the 'Big D' no doubt

I am not shitting on Dallas - I'd like to see it one day... but I just made the observation the skyline isn't large... Australian cities are also very sprawled and suburban, but Melbourne and Sydney for example... have big inner-city populations and I guess I'm a inner-city/downtown kinda guy
No, America calls it the Big D...
Dallaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #559
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2091

Quote:
Dallas has a few taller towers YES but I'd say overall Brisbane has more density than DFW??
IMO the most unbiased, accurate way to judge the SIZE of a skyline: http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Dallas - 48th, 2858 points
Brisbane - 60th, 2223 points

Dallas currently has 6 buildings over 200m and 20 over 150m
Brisbane currently has 4 buildings over 200m and 12 over 150m

JasnoDTX, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #560
linum

That's interesting

I'm just going on photographs of both cities and Brisbane looks more dense and built up
That's all

Tags
dallas, usa