daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Skylines

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: rate Dubai
10 638 34.32%
9.5 162 8.71%
9 214 11.51%
8.5 108 5.81%
8 150 8.07%
7.5 77 4.14%
7 80 4.30%
6.5 31 1.67%
6 44 2.37%
5.5 24 1.29%
5 47 2.53%
4.5 15 0.81%
4 25 1.34%
3.5 32 1.72%
3 and below 212 11.40%
Voters: 1859. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 13th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #1221
Greg95100
Un banlieusard en Sologne

Location: Paris/Romorantin (Loir et Cher)/Argentan ( Normandie)
Likes (Received): 3843

8/10

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1657109

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_qpZ-Nvww8

RIP Xavier.

Tokyo-Paris-New-York-Los Angeles
Greg95100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #1222
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

I have to say the Marina as a whole is pretty epic.
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1223
Empty_Quarter

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by what? View Post
You heard the old saying "ignorance is a bless"?
You are right, that's why last year alone 8M tourists visited Dubai alone (not counting the whole UAE). If what you say is true, how come expats makes 80% of the whole 10+ M population, living and working in UAE.

Do some homework before criticizing a city that you haven't visited and saw by yourself my friend. UAE as a whole country is a 40 years country only and look how it transformed itself from a desert village to a modern financial hub of the whole mena region. Can your country do that? I'll leave it to you to answer.
Sheesh, someone can't take a little criticism.

As someone who was born, raised, and maintain local and expat family ties in the UAE, the country does lack soul. It's all artificial, tacky, and filled with people who are just there to make money, and leave to better places or home when the bank account is full.

You make it seem like Dubai is the only city in the world that experienced a substantial construction boom, it's not, maybe you should be doing some research. It's only so apparent and obvious in dubai because there was nothing there in the first place (which regardless, is still impressive).

IMO, Dubai totally followed a flawed urban planning method when they adopted your american suburban plan (which is flawed), and transformed that into a city, but that is another discussion for another day. I'd sooo much rather walk through the older condensed lively neighborhoods of abu dhabi or the souk in dubai that these newly developed areas where you cant even walk anywhere (To be fair, I'll reserve judgement when it's all complete and the dust settles). Whenever I drive through marina, I get the same bland feeling as I do in any large american/canadian sprawled suburb.

Regardless, I'll admit what they've accomplished is impressive, and as for skyline, from a purely objective point of view, I'd rate it an 8/10. It would be higher, but height is not everything, the architecture could be nicer. It's a classic case of quantity > quality.
Empty_Quarter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #1224
seldomseen

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
You are so funny, a guy who knows nothing about us judges us that we are a shit hole cultureless city.

If you ask me to give my opinion about your country, i wouldn't make direct stupid rude comments like yours just cuz i "heard" from others that your country is garbage. I would make my homework and most importantly "visit".

As an arab muslim nation, our culture is there for thousands of years my friend. You don't believe me? make yourself useful and visit one of dubai's many museums, schools, or read about us.

People like you are so weird, we stay in the desert and ride on camels, you accuse us of being uncivilized, unmodern, barbaric people. We build a modern nation from nothing, invest in human beings, health services, infrastructure.... you call us cultureless bla bla bla.

Ohh and let me make it easier on you, here a useful link that might brighten you a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai

I know you are so busy now judging people or cities on things you "heard", so i pasted a good info especially for you, if you don't have time to read the whole thing.

"The earliest mention of Dubai is in 1095, and the earliest settlement known as Dubai town dates from 1799. Dubai was formally established in 1833 by Sheikh Maktoum bin Buti al Maktoum when he persuaded 800 members of the Bani Yas tribe, living in what is now part of Saudi Arabia, to follow him to the Dubai Creek by the Al Abu Falasa clan of Bani Yas. It remained under clan control when the United Kingdom assumed the protection of Dubai in 1892.[7] Its geographical location made it an important trading hub and by the beginning of the 20th century, it was an important port."
Don't pay the ignorant comments any mind. There's a phenomenon that exists called "whiteness" that's afflicts certain people and it's loaded with ignorance, elitism, hate, etc.
seldomseen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1225
mohammed ghani
Je Suis Irakien

Likes (Received): 12830

10/10
mohammed ghani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #1226
Fardeb

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
Don't pay the ignorant comments any mind. There's a phenomenon that exists called "whiteness" that's afflicts certain people and it's loaded with ignorance, elitism, hate, etc.
Ahh accusing other people of ignorance and hate while at the same time making a racist comment yourself, classic.

Anyway Dubai gets an 8.5.
Fardeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 02:06 AM   #1227
Tandax

Likes (Received): 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Quarter View Post

IMO, Dubai totally followed a flawed urban planning method when they adopted your american suburban plan (which is flawed), and transformed that into a city, but that is another discussion for another day. I'd sooo much rather walk through the older condensed lively neighborhoods of abu dhabi or the souk in dubai that these newly developed areas where you cant even walk anywhere (To be fair, I'll reserve judgement when it's all complete and the dust settles). Whenever I drive through marina, I get the same bland feeling as I do in any large american/canadian sprawled suburb.

Regardless, I'll admit what they've accomplished is impressive, and as for skyline, from a purely objective point of view, I'd rate it an 8/10. It would be higher, but height is not everything, the architecture could be nicer. It's a classic case of quantity > quality.
Totally agree with your comment there, its not all about skyscrapers that makes a city vibrant. To me, its the street activation and good planning that is far more important in making the characteristic and ambience of a city.
Old December 18th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #1228
timmy- brissy
Don't Stare!

Likes (Received): 28

It all looks very artificial and the street activity/scenes/atmosphere looks dull or devoid but on the merit of rating the skyline I'd give it a 10/10. Some fantastic buildings with a real compact density and looks like a city is probably the only city in the world which wouldn't look out of place in something like Star Wars.
timmy- brissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #1229
eurico

Likes (Received): 6416

never tired of this city!! 9!!
Old December 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1230
what?

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Quarter View Post
Sheesh, someone can't take a little criticism.

As someone who was born, raised, and maintain local and expat family ties in the UAE, the country does lack soul. It's all artificial, tacky, and filled with people who are just there to make money, and leave to better places or home when the bank account is full.

You make it seem like Dubai is the only city in the world that experienced a substantial construction boom, it's not, maybe you should be doing some research. It's only so apparent and obvious in dubai because there was nothing there in the first place (which regardless, is still impressive).

This is a "Rate the Skyline" thread and not making stupid comments about culture, people bla bla thread. You like it or you don't it's fine. Why talk about something totally different. Btw, we take criticism well but please make some sense. You talk about Dubai being filled with people to make money only, are you serious? Name a country or a place on earth where expats go for other reasons other than finding a better place to live and make good money. U.S, UK, Canada, Europe..... All filled with migrants wanting to better their lives my friend. Lets please comment on the skyline only and cut the crap.
what? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #1231
Empty_Quarter

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
You talk about Dubai being filled with people to make money only, are you serious? Name a country or a place on earth where expats go for other reasons other than finding a better place to live and make good money.
By stating such, you lose all credibility. Don't confuse immigration with expats, two different subjects.

But I agree with you, and I shouldn't have fed the troll. Let's keep this to skyline.
Empty_Quarter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #1232
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

5.5 good city; but badish public transport, too much focus on Skyscrapers and/or tourism and the government there forbids visitors from visiting a worker's house/ the bad side of Dubai.
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #1233
Dandoon
Emarati

Likes (Received): 13

[IMG][/QUOTE][/IMG]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
Dandoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1234
NickABQ

Likes (Received): 89

A huge and colossal skyline and the Burj is truly an astonishing structure.

I Love South Africa
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1235
burgund

Likes (Received): 463

skyline 1000000/10

architecture 2/10

wow 10/10

urban planning 5/10

Medium 9.5/10
Bałtyk [67m] gotowe
Ataner Towarowa II [55m] gotowe
Omega [55m] gotowe
Nobel Tower [54m] gotowe
Urząd Marszałkowski [51m] gotowe
Moja Malta [50m] gotowe
burgund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:25 PM   #1236
whitefordj
Toon Town bandit

Likes (Received): 11

đubai has well over 1 million visitors per day; moreover, it has increased it population by more than 44,000 in the past 5 months. looking at these and many other pictures of đubai, it is so easy to see why. fantastical!
whitefordj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1237
whitefordj
Toon Town bandit

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakdubai View Post
dubai has 3 different skylines, which skyline should we rate?
any one of them is beyond a 10 anyhow. haha
whitefordj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #1238
Spurdo
Fugging Awesome :D

Likes (Received): 724

image hosted on flickr

Nature's Palette... by Charlie_Joe, on Flickr

-Garl Tsagan

AT THE BEGINNINGS, THE UNIVERSE WAS AS SMALL AS MY TESTIGLE:DDDD, BUT IT WEIGHED AS MUCH AS YOUR MOTHER :DDDD

-galgulated by Garl Tsagan
Spurdo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1239
Dandoon
Emarati

Likes (Received): 13

image hosted on flickr
Dandoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #1240
kang rey

Likes (Received): 164

OMG