daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #901
temp_user

A1
temp_user no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #902
temp_user

A2

Road_UK liked this post
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #903
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I thought Morocco was using the same type hard shoulder as France...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #904
temp_user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I thought Morocco was using the same type hard shoulder as France...
Most new motorways have indeed hard shoulders (like Marrakesh–Agadir section in the A7, Fes–Oujda section in the A2 and the A8) but older ones have a median strip. I don't know for sure why but with the state's small budget I would say its because they want to reduce the cost of land expropriation.

Last edited by temp_user; November 19th, 2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old November 19th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #905
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

I think you misunderstood Road_Uk's question (correct me if i'm wrong)
Morocco used to have a dashed shoulder line, but since a few years, a solid line is the new standard. I don't know exactly the reason, but i have driven there and i must say the solid line gives an optically more relaxed drive instead of the constant flickering in the lower-right corner of your eye. Especially since Morocco used a much shorter line interval than France, more like Spain.

I think temp_user's remark referred to some motorways having unpaved shoulders, but it has nothing to do with exproriation because the shoulder is already reserved, paved or not. It seems new motorways are being built with unpaved shoulders (probably to cut on initial construction budget?) but after 10 year or so when a repavement is required, they usually also include the shoulder. This can be seen in the A5 Casablanca bypass, A2 Rabat-Fes and the northern part of the A7 which used to have unpaved shoulders and were repaved recently.

Road_UK, temp_user liked this post
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #906
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

That's exactly what I meant. I like the way they do it in France, and in the back of my mind it's been like that in Morocco for a long time...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #907
temp_user

Oh, I see. I got mixed up with English terminology. I was talking about the median strip which was 6 - 10 m wide in old motorways, that why I thought about the cost. My bad.

Road_UK liked this post
Old November 19th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #908
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

I have measured it on Google Earth. It seems medians come in 2 widths: 3 and 10+ meters.
3 meters is if there is a space constraint (mountaineous area, expensive land).
10+ meters is used as a reservation for future expansion, so a third lane can be added from the center easily (which has been executed on the A3 Casablanca-Rabat, there is even space for a future 2x4). The new Rabat bypass will also have a wide median for this purpose.

temp_user liked this post
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #909
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

A5 El Jadida - Safi won't open on 24 March 2015. It is delayed to 'late 2015 or early 2016'.

http://www.bladi.net/autoroute-el-ja...ard,41085.html
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:09 AM   #910
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

New motorway or expressway projects u/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahimweldl7aja View Post
the list will be complete if you add the Safi Eljadida motorway 143 km (Thread in the moroccan forum) (map )

Adm chose 4 as the number for the berrechid khouribga motorway (screenshot) (A4 berrechid beni mellal motorway Thread) the remaining segment is dut to open in july next year according to a sscm forumer who works for the national motorway company ADM

the rabat ringroad won't open this year i think end of 2015 ( thread) (955m Cable-Stayed Bridge thread)
we'll have to wait for the project to complet before we know which number has been assigned for
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahimweldl7aja View Post
as the case with other motorways here, this project was also split into four lots, works on the first two starting from eljadida(20,6+38,6) will be carried by moroccan construction companies (hajji and Houar), the Turkish Nurol won the tender to construct the last two sections (82 km) (map)
the fes oujda motorway ,although long (320 km and was split into several lots was opened as one block in summer 2011 so i doubt that this motorway will be opened progressively
works on the motorway started in April 2013 it's expected to finish by 2015 but motorway construction in morocco is slow and you can easily have a one year delay so i would say 2016
I created the subsequent list last June. I'd like to ask if it's still up-to-date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A4: Khouribga – Beni Mellal 95km (April 2010 to 17th May 2014) – ? – map
?: Casablanca-Route d'Azemmour – Casablanca-Lissafa (A5) 8km (? to 1st October 2014) – ? – map
A4: Berrechid (A7) – Khouribga 75km (April 2010 to Early 2015) – ? – map
?: Rabat-East (A2) – Sale El Jadida 5.1km (2010 to Late 2015) – ? – map
?: Sale El Jadida – Skhirat (A3) 36.0km (2010 to Late 2015) – ? – map
A5: El Jadida – Safi 143km (April 2013 to Early 2016) – ? – map
Any info about completion dates? Any delays?
Any info about numbering Rabat-Skhirat motorway?
Have works of additional motorways been started meanwhile?
Any missing completion of projects in 2014?

Is there any detailed completion date of Berrechid-Khouribga motorway? Last info was "Early 2015"...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 05:07 AM   #911
googlebot.com

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
I created the subsequent list last June. I'd like to ask if it's still up-to-date.

Any info about completion dates? Any delays?
Any info about numbering Rabat-Skhirat motorway?
Have works of additional motorways been started meanwhile?
Any missing completion of projects in 2014?

Is there any detailed completion date of Berrechid-Khouribga motorway? Last info was "Early 2015"...
- A few months delay for the A5 as mentioned in ChrisZwolle's post
- Rabat-Skhirat is A3
- no
- no

- A8 Berrechid-Khouribga is almost completed, now they're building a stack interchange to link it with the A7.

MichiH liked this post
googlebot.com no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #912
googlebot.com

Likes (Received): 138

A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamelstar View Post
From Rabat To Skhirat. A3.

A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John vicks View Post
Mohammed V International Airport - Casablanca City.

Highway89 liked this post
googlebot.com no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #913
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Are there any plans to extend the motorway A7 south of Agadir?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #914
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

I talked to a Maroccan guy about motorways about five years ago. He complained about the empty new Autobahns (A38, A71, A20,...) in Eastern Germany - which were built for politicial reason, not just for demand - while we got stuck in a congestion in Western Germany... Anyway, I asked about the situation in Morocco and he admitted that it's similar there. The government (well, the King) wanted to invest in the disputed territory of Western Sahara, e.g. building a motorway there although there's almost no traffic which demands a 4-laned road, just for political reason.

I've no idea if it was just a suggestion or if it was or is planned.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #915
Uppsala

The most southerly major resort is Agadir. The building of the A7 motorway to Agadir is furthermore naturally. Agadir is a tourist town, so it is obvious that they want the Moroccan motorway network reach to Agadir.

I think that in Morocco saw it as important to let the A7 motorway to reach Agadir.

But south of Agadir is not very much. The only place that seems to be reason to build a motorway to the Guelmim. But is this planned?

Laayoune (Western Sahara) is not so large. But it is planned motorway there?

Last edited by Uppsala; May 17th, 2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old May 17th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #916
The-s

Likes (Received): 6412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Are there any plans to extend the motorway A7 south of Agadir?
Quote:
But south of Agadir is not very much. The only place that seems to be reason to build a highway to the Guelmim. But is this planned?
Yes it's planned, Blue: Realized | Red: Under construction | Dotted red: Under study
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadiri View Post
More info : SAFI - AGADIR - TIZNIT - GUELMIM - MAURITANIAN BORDER | Highway | #Project
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #917
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-s View Post
Yes it's planned, Blue: Realized | Red: Under construction | Dotted red: Under study

More info : SAFI - AGADIR - TIZNIT - GUELMIM - MAURITANIAN BORDER | Highway | #Project

Very interesting! Does anyone know when it can begin construction of a motorway from Agadir to Guelmin?

It seems that Guelmin really just a part of a larger plan? That they really want to reach Laayoune. Can this be true?
Old May 17th, 2015, 03:00 AM   #918
The-s

Likes (Received): 6412

Quote:
Very interesting! Does anyone know when it can begin construction of a motorway from Agadir to Guelmin?

It seems that Guelmin really just a part of a larger plan? That they really want to reach Laayoune. Can this be true?
Nothing sure yet, the guelmim highway is within the horizon 2016-2035, we have to wait for more information.

It's too soon to speak about a highway to Laayoune, I think.
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #919
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Quote:
I talked to a Maroccan guy about motorways about five years ago. He complained about the empty new Autobahns (A38, A71, A20,...) in Eastern Germany - which were built for politicial reason, not just for demand - while we got stuck in a congestion in Western Germany... Anyway, I asked about the situation in Morocco and he admitted that it's similar there. The government (well, the King) wanted to invest in the disputed territory of Western Sahara, e.g. building a motorway there although there's almost no traffic which demands a 4-laned road, just for political reason.

I've no idea if it was just a suggestion or if it was or is planned.
In general there is very little inter-city traffic in Morocco. Highest DTV is less than 80.000 in between the largest urban areas of Morocco Casablanca and Rabat (100 km).
Old May 17th, 2015, 11:32 AM   #920
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

80,000 vehicles per day between two cities is pretty high though. There aren't that many intercity routes in Europe or the U.S. that get that kind of traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, morocco, motorways