daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #101
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1347

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbboy View Post
whats the maximum speed limit on these motorways?
90% of the highways has 120 km/h max. There are some short parts that are 100 km/h
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #102
madao

Likes (Received): 210

beautifulll pictures reminds me of spain
madao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #103
salim_rbt

Likes (Received): 0

The A8, 52 km long, connects the port of Tangier to Tangier Med, it was inaugurated on March 25, 2008
salim_rbt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #104
salim_rbt

Likes (Received): 0

[IMG]http://i28.************/2rrt53o.jpg[/IMG]
salim_rbt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #105
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

This is how all medians should look like.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #106
madao

what are medians?
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:12 AM   #107
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

The area between the two roads that make up a separating barrier is called a median.

Btw, does anybody know if it's possible to access the A8 at the Tanger-Med port when coming from Fnideq without having to go to the Ksar Sghir interchange? And what is the cost of travelling the 52 kms from the interchange with the A1 to the port?

Moroccan motorways are generally well-maintained, but there is one big flaw and that's that you can't pay with your credit card. But hey, you can't do that on some tolled stretches in Portugal either if you have a foreign card (like the bridges into Lisbon).
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:49 PM   #108
Muttie

As far as i know they are still working on an expressway (2x2) to link Fnideq directly to the A8. It will take you to the Oued Rmel interchange. Not sure what the costs are for the 52 km tho..on the official website i cant see any payage listed.
Old April 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #109
Morsue

According to this page: http://www.adm.co.ma/offers.cfm, the national motorway company of Morocco is going to start gathering offers for topographical surveys and the execution of a motorway between Berrechid (30 km south of Casablanca on the A7) and Beni Mellal at the foot of the Atlas Mountains. They are also gathering offers for geotechnical works and the execution of the Rabat bypass.

The new road between Casablanca and Beni Mellal would probably also connect to Khouribga which is a major phosphate mining center of the world, albeit that most of those transports are today conducted via railway.

The Rabat motorway bypass is in my opinion the more important one. Today, in order to reach the A1 Rabat-Tanger or the A2 Rabat-Fes, traffic coming from the A3 Casablanca-Rabat needs to pass through the Hay Riad neighbourhood with a lot of traffic lights and local traffic going to the Marjane Superstore. Instead of 120 km/h, the speed is limited to 80, 60 and in some places even 40 km/h. Also there are two steep climbs coming up from the Bou Regreg valley in either direction. Here, there are only two lanes in each directions and when trucks powering up the hill in 20 km/h get overtaken by other trucks going 30 km/h the risk of fender-benders from braking traffic is high.

Good at least to see that the government isn't going to be satisfied with the first motorway network programme that was laid forward in the early 90's. Morocco needs more infrastructure if the economy is going to grow and poverty routed. Now, when Spain has become so expensive, the north of Morocco will probably become Africa's Costa del Sol, and these investments in roads is perfect for that.
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #110
madao

[QUOTE=Morsue;19498901] Also there are two steep climbs coming up from the Bou Regreg valley in either direction. Here, there are only two lanes in each directions and when trucks powering up the hill in 20 km/h get overtaken by other trucks going 30 km/h the risk of fender-benders from braking traffic is high.

yess i have noticed that the last to years that hill wasnt easy for trucks we were holded up by one camion passing an other and like that
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #111
madao

According to this page: http://www.adm.co.ma/offers.cfm, the national motorway company of Morocco is going to start gathering offers for topographical surveys and the execution of a motorway between Berrechid (30 km south of Casablanca on the A7) and Beni Mellal at the foot of the Atlas Mountains. They are also gathering offers for geotechnical works and the execution of the Rabat bypass.

The new road between Casablanca and Beni Mellal would probably also connect to Khouribga which is a major phosphate mining center of the world, albeit that most of those transports are today conducted via railway.

hmmm Morsue last year when i was in morocco
we were on our way back to casa from Ouzoud and we went past Beni Mellal and those city on the national roads

but i noticed we were just few km past Beni mellal and i saw construction going on
2x2 highway i asked my grand dad info he said that is the Beni Mellal highway
so it seems to me they already begon the works?
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #112
Muttie

Highway between Tanger - Med Port.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #113
Morsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttie View Post
Wow, some spectacular images. I especially like the last one where you can see the rock of Gibraltar in the background. What are the viaducts in the second picture? The railway? Can you get on the road from the port to Fnideq if you go the entire length of the motorway?
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #114
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Breathtaking pictures. It's a pity they are not bigger.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #115
Muttie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Wow, some spectacular images. I especially like the last one where you can see the rock of Gibraltar in the background. What are the viaducts in the second picture? The railway? Can you get on the road from the port to Fnideq if you go the entire length of the motorway?

The viaducts are indeed for the railway (that is partly extended to the port). At this moment they are working on a 2x2 expressway connecting Fnideq directly to this highway, so the answer to your second question is yes.
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #116
Morsue

Quote:
The viaducts are indeed for the railway (that is partly extended to the port). At this moment they are working on a 2x2 expressway connecting Fnideq directly to this highway, so the answer to your second question is yes.
Perfect, I'm taking the car down in June and I'm thinking about taking the ferry to Ceuta and then take the road from Fnideq to the port (which is what, 20 km?) and then jump on the motorway to Casablanca. Hopefully we'll arrive during the day so we can take some pictures.
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #117
Muttie

Quote:
Perfect, I'm taking the car down in June and I'm thinking about taking the ferry to Ceuta and then take the road from Fnideq to the port (which is what, 20 km?) and then jump on the motorway to Casablanca. Hopefully we'll arrive during the day so we can take some pictures.
Hehe, nice! I hope you'll take some highway pictures then The distance between Fnideq to the port is about 10-20 km i guess. The highway connecting Ceuta to Tetouan is also finished btw, but you probably knew that.
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #118
Morsue

Quote:
Hehe, nice! I hope you'll take some highway pictures then The distance between Fnideq to the port is about 10-20 km i guess. The highway connecting Ceuta to Tetouan is also finished btw, but you probably knew that.
Well, actually I didn't. I usually get that kind of information from lematin.ma but they havent posted any articles on the subject apart from the news of the inauguration of the motorway to Tanger Med. When was it opened? I drove on the part from Tetouan to M'Diq last summer but only during the night so I didn't see that much of the scenery.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #119
Muttie

Quote:
Well, actually I didn't. I usually get that kind of information from lematin.ma but they havent posted any articles on the subject apart from the news of the inauguration of the motorway to Tanger Med. When was it opened? I drove on the part from Tetouan to M'Diq last summer but only during the night so I didn't see that much of the scenery.
It was opened last July and is about 28 km long . It's not directly connected to Ceuta btw, but to Fnideq...which is like 2 km away from Ceuta :P So if you want to go to Tetouan, you have actually two options. Taking the highway from Fnideq to Tetouan or taking the expressway which will lead you through cities as m'diq.

Last edited by Muttie; April 16th, 2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #120
Morsue

Quote:
It was opened last July and is about 28 km long . It's not directly connected to Ceuta btw, but to Fnideq...which is like 2 km away from Ceuta :P So if you want to go to Tetouan, you have actually two options. Taking the highway from Fnideq to Tetouan or taking the expressway which will lead you through cities as m'diq.
Well there you have it, it was only opened to M'Diq last July. The remaining kms are yet to be opened.

Tags
highways, morocco, motorways