daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 176

Kingston House, James Street

At long last!! the DP reports that Langtree have been chosen as the developers for this very important location. A 10/12 storey building is to be planned on this 1/4 acre site, 85,000 sq ft of grade A office and 15,000 sq ft of retail and leisure, hopefully a new Coopers for some waterfront meet ups!!. Liverpool Vision's Jim Gill said "Langtree demonstrated real imagination and a strong commercial approach in their propsal. Their track record in delivering positive change in urban areas was also an important consideration in our final recommendation"

I hope this is going to be a real top class job, nothing else will do for great site.

Can't wait to see this bite the dust!! what a dump.

Now if only the owners of next door, Halifax Hse. could be persuaded to dynamite that crap hole, we'd be on a roll. This building will look even worse sandwiched between the new Kingston building and the Pelli tower it has to go and soon!!

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 1004

It'd be nice if they could take the Halifax down brick by brick and place it in the new Liverpool Museum, as a warning to future generations.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM   #3
T0M
Scousish

Likes (Received): 0

Great news Doug! Been waiting for this one for a long time, looking forward to the renders. The Halifax had been doomed since the day it was built. A new, decent sized building in place of the Figure Factory is the final nail in the coffin, it really is going to look like a dolls house when it's dwarfed by it's new neighbours in both scale and quality. Halifax must know that they're sitting on a gold mine on that site, once the entire row has been rennovated this site's value must have trebbled in the last year or so, it's simple economics that a low-quality, low-rise building won't earn as much money as a high-quality mid-rise on the same site.

They should either sell the site and move into funky premises elsewhere, or else rebuild twice the size and rent out the other half of the building. Either way I don't think it's going to be round much longer...
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM   #4
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Why's it got a satellite dish? They watching tv in there all day or something?
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM   #5
T0M
Scousish

Just to clarify, does this development include the Figure Factory?
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

It does indeed TOM.

Awayo, I'm sure they wanted to make it look like a council house.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:36 PM   #7
kung_fuzi

Likes (Received): 2

Really good news,this is one of the true 'grot spots' in Liverpool.
kung_fuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2030

Yes!! at last.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM   #9
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Developer chosen to revamp key city site

Here's the full story,I probably hate this more than concorse house.

A LANDMARK 12-storey office building for the run-down James Street area of Liverpool city centre has moved a step closer - after a preferred developer was selected for the scheme.

Liverpool Vision and the North West Development Agency (NWDA) have chosen Langtree to lead the redevelopment of the site, currently occupied by Kingston House, on the corner of James Street and The Strand.

Langtree beat off competition from three other shortlisted companies - UK Land and Property, FT Patten (Holdings) in partnership with Eric Wright Group and HBG Properties.

Kingston House is a 1960s office building owned by the NWDA. The brief for the quarter-acre site offered the opportunity to create a landmark high-quality office building of between 10 and 12 storeys with active retail or leisure uses at street level.

The prominent location means that a high-quality building was a significant factor in selection of the preferred scheme and development partner.

Liverpool Vision chief executive Jim Gill said: "Liverpool city centre is growing rapidly and major development opportunities of this nature are increasingly scarce.

"We were very impressed by the obvious commitment of all the shortlisted developers and the quality of the proposals presented to us.

"Langtree demonstrated real imagination and a strong commercial approach in their proposal. Their track record in delivering positive change in urban areas was also an important consideration in our final recommendation."

The proposals to build 85,000 sq ft of Grade A office space and 15,000sq ft of retail/leisure space will now go through a detailed development and design process prior to being submitted for planning permission to the city council in the autumn.

Martin Lloyd, NWDA head of property, said: "The agency now looks forward to seeing detailed proposals that will maximise the potential of the site, and working together with both Liverpool Vision and Langtree for the delivery of this important project."

John Downes, managing director of Langtree, added: "We have very much enjoyed the opportunities and challenges that we have faced in the development of similar projects, such as Forty Sprin-gardens in Manchester city centre, and we are confident in our team's ability to ensure that Kingston House will be delivered to the highest standard."
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:05 PM   #10
begsy

Likes (Received): 18

In 1999/2000 Yorkshire architects Carey Neiwman produced plans for a 18 floor appartment building for this site, remember seeing them on the AJ+ website. Would of been better than a stumpy 12.
begsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM   #11
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Wouldn't have been 'appropriate' I bet, Begbie. Imagine the Halifax sandwiched between that and and the Pelli tower.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM   #12
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 176

It would show the Halifax up for what it really is, a disgrace!! it downgrades that stretch of the Strand.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM   #13
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Roberts View Post
It would show the Halifax up for what it really is, a disgrace!! it downgrades that stretch of the Strand.
Its days are definitely numbered though.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM   #14
T0M
Scousish

I think a 12 storey building of high enough qaulity will sit well on that site, it, going to be quite an impressive drive down the dock road soon..
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:11 AM   #15
scouseyuppie01

just a quick design idea for the site.....................

always good to visualise.....

scouseyuppie01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:44 AM   #16
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Likes (Received): 41

Sy, is there another City Lofts planned for the half-tide dock, or am I getting confused with the Alex?

They haven't submitted a design yet have they?
Villiers Terrace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:49 AM   #17
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Unfortunately they have Villiers. Find the 'bad architecture' thread. Its number one with a bullet.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM   #18
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Likes (Received): 41

Oh aye..I remember, it's that red thing with the dodgy 'crazy' assymetrical windows at the end isn't it?

Scheisse.

Odd that they can do a decent job with the Prinnie Dock one, then envisage that shed...
Villiers Terrace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:57 AM   #19
cambrian

Likes (Received): 170

Has'nt Halifax already announced that the jobs were being moved/lost from the building on the strand and they were moving out of it-maybe a sale of the land is planned already.

hopefully we will get something to complement Pelli and hide the law courts building from the strand.
cambrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:20 AM   #20
Wirral
The Wirral, Liverpool

Likes (Received): 11

Thanks for the picture idea, but as it says it can be between 10-12 stories, how good would it look if it had an added feature on top of the building? Imagine the new building having a pyramid shape plonked on top, so many buildings lack something on top IMO
Wirral no está en línea   Reply With Quote