daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM   #241
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

The cable-stayed bridge looks cool.

The Gardiner has a very similar similarity with the former Central Artery. Toronto seems to have worked around it a lot easier than Boston did in the past. If that plan ever happens, hopefully they will have taken notes and will avoid the Big Dig's mistakes and shortfalls.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:42 PM   #242
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

After the Big Dig fiasco, I doubt any any urban expressways will be moved underground any time soon. It cost $14.6 billion, for only a few miles of traffic. For what? Aesthetics? So Ted Kennedy can drink at his Beacon Hill mansion and then stumble drunk into Southie for the Irish parade, without getting into a car accident?

Seriously though, it's just not worth it, IMO. The Big Dig would never have been built if it weren't for federal funds, and the federal government is not paying for any such local pet projects in the future again.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:53 PM   #243
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
The A96 passing through Munich is underground, quite a long tunnel there, you notice nothing of Munich because of it, after that Tunnel you have the choise to go into the Alps or leave the A8 which the A96 aktually is and go on the Passau Autobahn.
??
The A96 from Lindau ends at the Mittlerer Ring and there are no tunnels. Within Munich's city limits only the Mittlerer Ring and the Altstadtring have some tunnels but the first runs like a rectangle around the city quite far away from the city center and the latter has nothing to do with a motorway.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:28 PM   #244
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

There's also a tunnel to downtown Zurich, though I don't know much about it.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:36 PM   #245
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Berlin just built one that goes right underneath the German Parliament in the center of downtown.
Actually that's railway.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM   #246
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

I happen to be working for similar project in Riga, Latvia. But it is not expected before 2016
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM   #247
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardmacha View Post

Dublin port tunnel, 4.5km of twin bore tunnel under city.

He cuts out some of the tunnel video, but still interesting for those who havent seen it.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM   #248
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

With 850 km or so tunnels, roughly 20 cm per capita, there are few countries that are more "tunneled" than Norway. Regarding new urban highways, they are now more as a rule than an exception put underground. In many cases this is the only solution, and in most cases it is the cheapest solution, as the city center property prices are quite high. Putting the roads underground also has an environmental impact, as the air-outlets from the ventilation systems of the urban tunnels often are filtered, and the traffic is in any case remote from most people. Tunneling is quite inexpensive, as the rock quality in most places is good (some locations in the Oslo area is an exception). In addition to the Bjørvika-/Festningstunnelen discussed below, Oslo also has several other tunnels in or leading to the city center, for instance the Ekeberg tunnel that will be connected to the Bjørvika tunnel from the east, and also the parts of the city center ring road (ring 1) is in tunnel. From the top of my head, also Tromsø (quite impressing system), Trondheim (under construction), Bergen, Arendal and Drammen have similar city-center tunnels. Not all of them are motorways, but some are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
In Oslo we have the Festningstunnel "Fortress Tunnel" which goes under the city (and harbor). This is a typical bored tunnel.

Work is well underway on extending the tunnel under the Bjørvika harbor further east. Due to the difficult geological qualities of the area they're building a submerged floating tunnel. I don't understand the bouyancy ideas behind it but they claim it will work. Submerging the freeway in that area will open up a lot of valuable waterfront real estate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
submerged floating tunnels, are those used anywhere else? The idea sounds interesting, it's a good way to let ships pass, but you don't have to cross all the way under a fjord, which can be several hundreds meters deep. Some kind of "bridge" under water.
This is a misunderstanding. If the Bjørvika tunnel can be said to be floating, it's floating in mud at the harbor bottom. What is new about the project is that the concrete tunnel elements are prefabricated and then lowered down. This is the process:

A subaqueous ditch is dug.

Concrete modules are towed from a construction site near Bergen

The elements are lowered down into the ditch.

The modules are "sucked" into place as the water is pumped out.

The tunnel rests on a bed of rocks/gravel, and gravel/rock is filled around the concrete tunnel to protect it

Since solid rock is usually close to the surface in Norway, this mud bussiness is quite new to us, and so far most of our tunnels, including our subaqueous ones (24 tunnels + 5 under construction) are tunneled through rock. Quite interestingly, however, a similar project, on a smaller scale, is performed in the Trondheim harbour, a project called Skanseløpet. Here a quite different technique was chosen by the contractor BilfingerBerger, using a technique they have had some experience with in Germany. Instead of prefabricating the elements, "dry land" is created by putting down sheet piles and then pump out the water, and then constructing the concrete tunnel on site:

This tunnel will link up with another tunnel from the west that is almost finished, and also a motorway tunnel from the east/north that will be constructed soon (map shown in later post)

Regarding "floating tunnels" it is a neat idea, which is pushed by the "Norwegian Submerged Floating Tunnel Company A/S".

As far as I remember, such a "floating tunnel" was also proposed for the cross-Atlantic tunnel dream. Some Norwegian fjords (Høgsfjord and Storfjord of Western Norway and Trondheimsfjorden) have been considered for such tunnels, but although the idea has been around for quite some time, a decision to build such a tunnels does not seem imminent. I guess there will always be a question of cost. Normal subaqueous tunnels are quite expensive to operate and maintain, but I fear the maintainance of these tunnels will be a nightmare. Also, for instance in the case of Trondheimsfjorden, which I know best, anchoring may be an issue. There are quite strong tidal currents that will give quite a large pull over the 6 km (shortest possible distance) of such a tunnel, and the sea bottom is 500 m below, with a rather thick layer of clay/sand. The two longest traditional floating bridges without any anchoring are currently as far as I know both in Norway and around 1 km long. However, these problems I guess are more about cost than possibility, and if anyone should ever build a floating tunnel it should be Norway with its extensive offshore knowhow.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; December 6th, 2007 at 04:53 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:49 PM   #249
Bandini
_________

Likes (Received): 1

Part of Madrid's M30:

thanks to providez for the video.
Bandini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:52 PM   #250
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
??
The A96 from Lindau ends at the Mittlerer Ring and there are no tunnels. Within Munich's city limits only the Mittlerer Ring and the Altstadtring have some tunnels but the first runs like a rectangle around the city quite far away from the city center and the latter has nothing to do with a motorway.
then maybe it´s the A8 already, you pass through a tunnel and then either stay on the A8 or leave it and get on the Autobahn to Passau.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #251
Pavlov's Dog

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks 54°26′S 3°24′E. I stand corrected.

Impressive engineering. I can't say I'm looking forward to driving in that tunnel. 6km of traffic jam underground and underwater gives me the creeps and I normally don't have any problems with tunnels.
Pavlov's Dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #252
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Yeah, i am not to keen on traffic jams in tunnels too. Well, i am not keen on traffic jams at all, but you always have that picture in mind of the burning Tauern and Mt Blanctunnels.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #253
Pavlov's Dog

We've a lot of problems this year with tunnel closures due to walls not being sealed properly and rather large rocks falling into the tunnel. In previous years the Oslofjord tunnel between Drøbak and Drammen was closed due to leaks and the pumps failing. Neither were supposed to happen and both happening simultaneously was "impossible.
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #254
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I guess the technique is still in early stages. In the Netherlands, we have a lot of aquaducts, but they are usually not over 100m long. We do have a long road tunnel under the Westerschelde Estuary
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #255
Pavlov's Dog

I think it's more a question of budget priorities rather than engineering difficulties when it comes to poor reinforcement. Those simply chose a cheaper means of sealent which they thought would be good enough but turned out not to be.
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #256
rejow

Likes (Received): 1

Hi!

Prague is currently constructing something like "underground higway". It´s series of tunnels under the inner city with highway parametres.

First stage with three tunnels has been completed few years ago.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...&t=h&z=13&om=1

Zlíchovský tunnel 195m

Mrázovka tunnel 1260m

Strahovský tunnel 2004m

By now is u/c section between Strahovsky tunel and north left riverbank of Vltava river. Lenght of this section is 5500m. It will be complex of three tunnels, where two are bored and third will be built in cut and cover technology:

yellow lines are underground

renders:

pix from construction sites:

For better orientation, map of Prague with future highway system. Dashed lines are tunnels.

rejow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #257
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

this is nice in Prague. they are talking about 5 underground tunnels under Zagreb center right now, but i hope they will not build them as they are proposing because they'd ruin one really nice part of old city (park-forrest in city center)
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #258
Leeigh

Likes (Received): 4

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia has a double deck undercity tunnel..
Leeigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #259
yako
Infidel

Likes (Received): 7

Södra länken (southern link) in Stockholm, inaugurated in 2004

All intersections have artistical decorations, to help motorists find their way

Link to more pics (most are quite large, which is why I don't paste them into the thread) http://www.vv.se/templates/page3wide____2974.aspx

Norra länken (northern link), currently u/c - expected to open in 2015 (map also shows new areas of urban development)

This is the current stretch of highway, that's scheduled to be decked over and developed with residential buildings.

Here's how it's going to look

Link to more pics (hi-res)
http://www.vv.se/templates/page3wide____13543.aspx
yako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #260
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Urban Highway Tunnels of Norway

The Stockholm tunnels and the tunnel network of Praha look impressive.

To show to which degree tunnels have been an essential part of city planning in Norway lately, I have collected here a few maps/illustrations of urban tunnel systems in Norway that I am aware of. Like most of the Norwegian road system, most of the urban tunnel roads are not motorways. In most of the maps/illustrations tunnels are drawn with dashed lines. My "travel" starts in the north and continues around the coast line...

Tromsø (65 000)
Despite it's small size and isolated location, Tromsø has one of the most complete underground road systems of Norway:

Most of the network is two-way traffic roads with roundabout intersections, but the tunnel under the bay (Breivikatunnelen E8) is 2+2.

Trondheim (163 000)

Except Grilstadtunnelen, Trondheim's tunnel road system as shown above is still not completed. The western tunnels (two-way highways) will be completed in two years time, currently only one tunnel and the underground roundabout is open:

(Picture taken before opening). The construction of the new eastern road system, which will be 2+2 (and as far as I know, motorway) will start next year, and also include a new bridge across the river:

Bergen (246 000)

Highway 555 is motorway and E39 North/E16 is 2+2 with motorway characteristics, whereas I believe highway 540 is two-way.

Bergen also has a new 10 km 2+2 link, of which 8 km will be tunnels, in the south-west under construction ("Western ringroad") which will connect with the 555 and 549:

Stavanger (118 000)

The tunnels are two-lane/two-way roads I believe

Kristiansand (78 000)

The E18/E39 are 2+2 with motorway characteristics

Arendal (40 000)

Two-lane/two-way tunnels

Drammen (59 000)

Except E18, whose tunnel shortly will be motorway, the tunnels of Drammen are twoway/two lanes.
Indicated by name only on the map above is a quite unique tunnel of Drammen called "Spiralen" (the Spiral):

This tunnel spirals 163 m up and is 1650 m long. It's purpose? To give the Drammen population easy access to the ski areas on the hill above the city. I have no clue how they maneged to finance this little-trafficated tunnel back in 1961.

Sandvika (adm. center of Bærum, 108 000, suburb of Oslo)

E16 is 2+2, the other tunnels probably 2-lane/2-way

Oslo (553 000)

Tunnel system at the western end of Ring 3, 2+2 with motorway characteristics

Road system of central Oslo. The E18 tunnel is motorway (3+3), the others either 2+2 or two-way (except ramps of the E18 tunnel, of course).

Road system of eastern (central) Oslo. The highway 190 and the road (wrongly?) labeled E6 are 2+2 or 3+3 with motorway characteristics

As discussed above, the eastern and central tunnel systems will be connected once the harbor tunnel is finnished (As you can see, you don't have to drive for 6 km to get to the nearest exit!):

An overview of the highway systems of Oslo with current tunnels indicated can be found here.

In addition to the tunnels mentioned above, there are also many smaller tunnels and concrete covers where office buildings etc. are built, especially on the E18 going west out of Oslo.

Lillestrøm/Strømmen (45 000, north-east of Oslo)

Highway 159 is a motorway

Future developments
Regarding the Oslo-area at least, it seems like the development of putting the highways down into tunnels will accelerate further, it's strategy that has relatively broad support among all parties. In these days the new 40-50 billion NOK transport plan of Oslo is treated by the political system, and it looks like almost the whole length of E6 and E18 running through the city will be put under the surface, as well as several other roads. One part of this plan that has been discussed for a long time is the E18 from central Oslo west to beyond Sandvika, of more than 12 km:

Framnes (Close to Festningstunnelen) -Fornebu

Fornebu-Ramstadsletta

Ramstadsletta-Sandvika

PS
I have chosen not to include three cases where long subaqueous tunnels are entering some town centers, since the motivation behind building these tunnels was not to avoid urban area conflict but simply manage to cross a strait or fjord. The subaquous tunnels of Vardø (Europe's first), Kristiansund and Ålesund are in this class.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; December 9th, 2007 at 01:51 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote