daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #301
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by §A8 View Post
This was Melbourne's proposed freeway network in 1969:

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/605/fwyob0.jpg
That looks very gridlock-sensitive to me.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #302
kokpit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
This is a current project for central Milan: a road tunnels web
How long will be those tunnels in Milan? And are they going to tunnel them or excavate from the ground?
kokpit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #303
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokpit View Post
How long will be those tunnels in Milan? And are they going to tunnel them or excavate from the ground?
Difficult to say a total length

I remember the ring one is about 12 km and the red one about 7 km
They will be built by TBMs

Anyway it's still not clear if they will be realized (even partly) or not... they want to build 'em with private money by project financing method; some months ago it seemed the promoters wanted to stop for the high costs... but recently they seem again to have the will to bulid 'em

We will see........
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #304
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6384

What?

Taxis are a must for cities - without them you'd have massive parking problems and increased polution..

As for the motor bikes I'd be just fine without them - it's sad to see so many people hurt themself or even kill themself to be "cool"..
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #305
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Taxis shouldn't be banned, but bad drivers should be.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #306
7t

I'm all in favor of banning cars and bikes from central city streets. But you cannot ban taxis, buses or even trucks because they're utilised as transportation services of people and products.
7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #307
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Taxi's are made for the city - it's silly to ban them.
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #308
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

I'd agree with banning taxis, if and only if there are good enough alternatives - such as buses, trains, a subway, a monorail, that sort of thing.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #309
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think taxis are also a social necessity for the disabled and elderly, so they need to reach every area in the city, in my opinion also in car-free city centers (except some pedestrian streets).

For banning motor bikes, I'm all for that, if you look at photos from southeastern Asia, you'll see many people with mouth protection on their bikes because they pollute so much. A recent Dutch study showed a scooter polluted as much as a fullsize truck. And I tend to think those in SE Asia might be even more polluting.
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #310
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
As for the motor bikes I'd be just fine without them - it's sad to see so many people hurt themself or even kill themself to be "cool"..
It would be also sad to take off ones hobby, just because some people feel the need to control their lifes.

You just know the risks are bigger when you get on a bike, even on a usual bike. If you'd really want to make a point here, you should forbid those too... People have their own responsibility in driving a vehicle. Since you practicly always will be more hurt on a bike (on a collision with other vehicles), you'll learn to drive more defensively. I don't know how it is in other countries, but getting a driving license for a motor bike (i'm not talking about mopeds here) is even more difficult then getting one for a car. As for mopeds: those are becoming less and less popular here in Holland, but forbidding them would be nonsense.

Last edited by Jeroen669; March 8th, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #311
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Some people have strange ideas, how can people want to ban motorbikes? And taxis are needed, especially if it has to go fast and someone can´t wait for the public transport.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #312
ChrisZwolle
Road user

At least the standards could be increased for mopeds and scooters. It's a bit strange that cars have tight emission standards and more polluting SUV's are taxed higher while a moped or scooter emit even more and are allowed on the roads...
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #313
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Banning taxis is pointless IMHO,those people wont use PT instead,but their own cars. Banning bikes is an even worse idea. A motorbike takes up much less space and pollutes less than a car. Banning cars would have better results. But speed bikes should be banned regardless. Why do non-racers need something that can go with 350?
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #314
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Because it´s their hobby to feel the fast acceleration and drive with 250 on the motorway and know they can go much faster if they want.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM   #315
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

GPS Users Reveal Which US Cities Are Truly The Most Congested

Think it’s New York or LA? Think Again.

Millions of TomTom users show clearest picture yet of US’s worst roads

Concord, MA – December 2, 2009 – TomTom, the world’s leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps, today revealed the first fully detailed view of which cities have the worst traffic in the United States. The results were calculated using data from Speed Profiles, the historical speed database from TomTom map business unit Tele Atlas that helps personal and professional fleet drivers using portable, in car or smartphone navigation systems avoid trouble spots and save time and money.

Speed Profiles aggregates the actual speeds that millions of anonymous, GPS-enabled drivers have traveled over the last two years. This community of drivers is the largest GPS data collection community in the world. It provides actual average speeds for every five minutes of the day on roads across the full network to help show a far more accurate view of historic traffic. In contrast, traditional historical traffic systems use random sampling from a limited number of road sensors on primary roads or from fleet vehicle traces.

Cities* were ranked as most to least congested according to how fast cars could travel on the street network. A city’s traffic was defined as congested if drivers could travel at only 70% or less of the posted speed limit, meaning on average an hour long commute included 20 minutes or more of significant delays.

The results of the continental U.S. states reveal some interesting surprises:

o Seattle, Washington is the city with the worst traffic in the United States, with an average of 43% of its roads showing heavy delays. Rounding out the top five cities after Seattle are Los Angeles (38%), Chicago (37%), San Francisco (35%) and New York (31%).

o The “Bay Area” of California has the most cities in the top 30, with San Francisco, San Jose (29%) and Oakland (28%).

o The most congested “corridor” is between Baltimore and Washington, D.C. About 36% of that area’s roads, largely in Montgomery County, are congested.

o While New York has many pockets of heavy congestion, the area also contains many major arteries for alternative routes. In fact, cities with fewer options for alternative roads were higher on the list.

o The least congested of the top 30? Minneapolis, Minnesota. Only 17% of the roads in that city are congested.

When all U.S. states and territories are included, the Toa Baja and Bayamón areas of San Juan, Puerto Rico are both in the top ten. Approximately 24% of the streets in greater San Juan are congested.

For a full list of the top 30 most congested cities in the continental U.S., a list of the most congested cities including all states and territories, and for more information, go to www.teleatlaspresskit.com.

With packed roadways and ever-increasing travel times, drivers are seeking better ways to minimize fuel costs and find the fastest routes to their destinations. Speed Profiles, integrated as IQ Routes™ on TomTom devices and available in other applications, provides the insight needed to avoid congestion and the stress which accompanies it. It also helps businesses cut transportation and logistics costs. Speed Profiles is available in 27 countries and territories, covering 35 million kilometers of both directions of roads.
http://www.teleatlas.com/WhyTeleAtla...es/TA_CT038317

Some nice info for you roadfreaks
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM   #316
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interesting, didn't expect Minneapolis to be the best, I'd rather thought cities like Denver, Kansas City or Oklahoma City. Seattle doesn't surprise all that much though I thought Los Angeles was the worst.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM   #317
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Minneapolis-St. Paul is actually fairly congested. The lists are ranked in descending order by percentage of congested road and are limited to 30 cities, so the most populous cities that have the least traffic congestion are not included.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM   #318
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

City Driving

Hi, I thought of a thread sort of like the Roadtrips, but inside cities, and I didn't want to flood that thread with loads of pictures, not strictly belonging there. I don't want to focus on touristy parts, i'd like to see cities as they are, allthough driving through nice bits is of course a bonus (as it will happen in my trip too). I live in Budapest, this trip was taken about 18 months ago, we start from my neighborhood onthe north end of Buda.

district III. turning onto my neighborhood's main road (road 11)

driving through Csillaghegy (suburban neighborhood)

Rómaifürdő (suburban neighborhood)

passing Aquincum (mainly estates)

flyover above the HÉV line arriving to inner Óbuda, still pretty ugly near the road, blocks of flats

not much left of historical Óbuda, old main square hiding behind the blocks on the left

economy high shool (afaik) on Szentendrei road

approaching Árpád bridge onramps

onramps to the bridge

on the bridge

arriving in Pest side, center to the right, police hq on the left

turning to Váci road heading for downtown

extensive office developments are happening all along Váci, allthough more in the other direction towards Újpest. Not skyscrapers mind, those are still forbidden in Budapest.

if you were going to Heroes Square you would turn left here

on Váci, quite an ugly bit, no developments here because of residential blocks

Lehel square church and the most hidious building in Budapest on the left, the Lehel market. google it if you want to have nightmares

westend shopping mall behind that listed building

driving toward Nyugati square

Nyugati flyover, station's back on the left

quick glimpse onto the ringroad towards Margaret bridge, from the flyover

now in downtown, driving towards Deák square, you can see St. Stephens basilica ahead

end of this road is basically what's considered the center of town, allthough downtown is extensive

but we are not going there

turning right here towards the Parliament, some nicer bits coming up
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM   #319
RKC

dont know how many pics fit on one page but anyway

sidestreets downtown near the Parliament, mainly governmental , residental and some office buildings

turning to Alkotmány street, Parliament ahead

thats actually the front of the building, not as well known as the back facing the river

some nice architecture near Kossuth square

Kossuth square and the main entrance of the Parliament building

we turned right, towards Margaret bridge

going around the building on the north, nice view

turned right again zigzagging towards the embankment

arriving to upper embankment

Margareth bridge and Buda

Margareth Bridge

we have passed under the bridge, now turning on it, Combino in sight (world's longest tram on the world's busiest tramline)

castle district seen from the bridge

we go back to Buda in the next part
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM   #320
RKC

Buda side of Margareth Bridge

glimpse to the north from the bridge, we are going that way

inner Buda ahead (margit ringroad), we go right

crappy sidewalks and stickers on signs but i still like it

heading back north, but we have some business still, before heading home

on the border of district II and III.

near Kolossy square

heading towards the smaller amphitheater of Óbuda

turning to Bécsi road (road 10) the amphitheater is on this square but its below ground level so you cant see much of it

well thats all you see from here, anyway some roman ruins if you're interested in that sort of stuff

now on Bécsi road, another important throughway of Óbuda

back to commieblock land, malls on the left

turning up to the hill on the left, we have a friend to visit

I think its calle Madár hegy (bird hill)

going back down

shitty pic but there's a view of the city in the distance even some sort of a skyline there, lol

commie style

back on Bécsi westbound

Buda stretches north to south so is quite easy to reach the edge of town to the west, here we are approaching north-west edges of BP.

turning right at Óbuda cemetery entrance

some open space between Óbuda and Csillaghegy, edge of town

some horseriding school on th left

newly built up areas of Csillaghegy (Star Hill) ahead

there was nothing here 15 years ago

new housing on the edge of Csillaghegy

behind these walls is the best "strand" (swimming pools, and sunbathing places) of Budapest. The whole hill is part of it, on several levels in the middle of an ancient forrest.

back to my neighborhood

blocks of Békásmegyer ahead

thats it for now, show me some of your cities