daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #2181
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

no it's not , still site prep.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #2182
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
It's the color of the Chicago River, which, due to a set of locks just east of lake Shore Drive, is completely separate from the water of Lake Michigan (which has a much darker, deeper blue color to it). Many years ago the river was 'reversed' and everything from that lock inland now flows southwestward into the Mississippi River.

It was a big engineering feat in its time.

Mike
The reversal of the Chicago River is one of the greatest engineering feats of all time! I have a great photo of the river and the lake water you describe.

cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #2183
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Yea, that is one of those pictures that I sat and look at for five minutes and admire what is and then imagine what will become. Some photos are especially inclined to make me doing that.
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #2184
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
no it's not , still site prep.
oh,thanks
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #2185
jamude18
In Your Thoughts

Likes (Received): 5

you can see two different tones of blue in the river and the lake... awesome view
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #2186
EMPIREOFLIGHTS
FINISH THE CHICAGO SPIRE

Likes (Received): 2

Going to Chicago this week,Sears Tower bound

You know I belong to a railroad/model railroad club,but am more into skyscrapers,(my layout has the world's tallest in it). And we were watching slides of a trip to Chicago where some railroad shots were taken. And in one shot,there was a beautiful view of the Sears Tower and no one acknowleded it but me. So beautiful and dominating. sigh. Us skyscraper fans are fairly rare. Looking foreward to this week.
EMPIREOFLIGHTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #2187
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPIREOFLIGHTS View Post
You know I belong to a railroad/model railroad club,but am more into skyscrapers,(my layout has the world's tallest in it). And we were watching slides of a trip to Chicago where some railroad shots were taken. And in one shot,there was a beautiful view of the Sears Tower and no one acknowleded it but me. So beautiful and dominating. sigh. Us skyscraper fans are fairly rare. Looking foreward to this week.
OT for this thread, but that would be a view looking northward from Roosevelt Rd over the approach trackage for Union Station. It is a famous and often photographed view of the city skyline. The view looking northward/northeastward from the 'S' curve on the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/94) at its interchange with the Stevenson (I-55) is one of my favorite scenic views on the entire interstate highway system, too. And it's especially magical at night!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #2188
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

7-14-07

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #2189
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

7-14-07

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #2190
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

first night shots of the site. very nice! thanks for posting.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #2191
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Wow! Chicago looks amazing at night time!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #2192
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

fantastic night-shots, thank you!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2193
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Chicago looks awesome..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #2194
chukchi

Likes (Received): 17

Thanks for the pics everyone
chukchi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #2195
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

Settlement marks on lower Lake Shore Drive

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #2196
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

07/16/07

Settlement marks on lower Lake Shore Drive

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #2197
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

Hmm, those caisson tubes look a little big compared to the ones used for filling the tunnels. And they look like the size one might expect for the foundation, could they be?
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #2198
uberalles
Boca Raton,FL (x-Chicago)

Likes (Received): 0

Looks like a tie line.
Those are huge sleeves there. Those are just for plugging? Those look to be 13 feet in diameter. Looks more like foundation caissons.

Here's and interesting article on the caissons for the Trump tower which also was done by Case.

http://midwest.construction.com/feat...0510_cover.asp

Quote:
A Bedrock Project

The building expected to make a splash on the Chicago skyline is already having a big impact below grade.

Robert Schock, vice president of Roselle-based foundation contractor Case Foundation Co., said the structure's bearing pressure, 250 tons per sq. ft., is reportedly the highest ever in Chicago.

"The city code normally allows only 200 tons per sq. ft. as the maximum value," he said. "They allow that to be increased with a full-scale load test, which we did here."

Because of the structure's 2.6 million-sq.-ft. size, the foundations are partly seated in bedrock to prevent the differential settlement due to pressure from the huge building.

Schock said 57 rock caissons are to be installed to support the tower's core area. In addition, about 160 of the traditional belled caissons are to be set.

Seating the rock caissons requires drilling shafts to a depth of about 110 ft. where the bedrock starts. About 12 ft. of the bedrock is augered to create sockets that hold the foundations' tips.

A carefully choreographed drilling sequence was implemented to install the casings that form the foundations.

After a drill penetrates the earth, 13-ft.-diameter, 20-ft.-long temporary casings are installed. The bit is inserted through each of the temporary casing, and through them, 12-ft.-diameter, 40-ft.-long second temporary casings are inserted.
The shaft is flooded with water and polymer slurry for thickening.

"Once we penetrate below the hard pan layer into the boulder area [atop the bedrock], that's water-bearing and under pressure," Schock said. "If we were to penetrate that in a dry shaft, it would blow in a hurry." Danger would arise because adjacent structures supported on belled caissons could be undermined by the sudden change in earth pressure.

As a result, water stays in the shaft as the drill is inserted to lengthen the shaft for the installation of the 10-ft.-diameter, 80-ft.-long permanent casings with jagged-tooth bottoms.

Once reaching the bedrock, the down-hole hammers use bits that operate like jackhammers, Schock said. They shatter the rock into gravel-size pieces that are sucked to the surface and collected in canisters for emptying.

"This new application of the down-hole hammer has saved us a lot of time," he added.
Grout is inserted between the rock and casing to eliminate voids and allowed to set and form a seal.

"Now we have a tight, safe hole that's fully sealed," Schock said. "We take the water out of the hold and drill the rock sockets."

The 9.5-ft.-diameter, 12-ft.-deep sockets are drilled, and high-strength, 10,000-pound-psi concrete is poured the full length of the shafts.

A 10-Ft.-Thick Mat

Once the foundations are complete, the remaining key sitework elements include excavating about 35 ft. - where the tops of the caissons are - installing earth retention and pouring a 10-ft.-thick concrete slab. The building's concrete columns will rise from the mat.

"The mat is about 4,500 cu. yds of concrete, so it is good-sized," Bovis' James added.

The building will have a two-level partial basement, and earth retention in the form of sheeting with raker beams will be installed to form it.

Once the sitework is done, the building will start emerging, and two tower cranes will be used, James said. Because of the building's size, about 185,000 cu. yds. of concrete will be poured over the course of the project

Last edited by uberalles; July 16th, 2007 at 11:55 PM.
uberalles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #2199
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Looking good!!

Zefire liked this post
rogerick1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #2200
LMCA1990
Top tier

Likes (Received): 3453

This project will be awesome. I loved that pic of the contrast between the water in the chicago river and the lake.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower