daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM   #2541
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

how deap is they going o pile ?

Zefire liked this post
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM   #2542
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
Why don't they dig out the foundation first, before installing the caissons? What's the point of drilling through the ground that will be removed later anyway?

In all foundations for skyscraper construction, workers MUST reach and penetrate the bedrock in some fashion, to be able to gain solid support for the foundation as well as the building.

So either they do it with the cassions, or they use piles to reach it. Without the ground being removed first, there would be no support for the cassions - hence they would not stand up. And the cassions STILL have to be driven into the bedrock anyway in order to support the foundation.

Sometimes controlled blasting is used to make the holes for the ground support colums, as in the case of the foundation for the Freedom Tower.

Zefire liked this post
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM   #2543
Artanis
Civil Engineer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Why don't they dig out the foundation first, before installing the caissons? What's the point of drilling through the ground that will be removed later anyway?
This is a possible reason:

The machinery is only able to reach the desired locations on ground level. Due to the huge weight of such machinery it is sometimes impossible to bring it to a basement level. You have to use a ramp, or a strong crane, and in cities there is not enough space available for this. The cost will also be much higher.

Another reason can be the soil condition on the basement level. Maybe the soil is too soft to bear such a drilling machine or maybe there is too much water leakage from outside to have a comfortable way of work.

A third reason that pops up in my mind:
The caissons maybe go higher than the lowest basement level?
Artanis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM   #2544
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarooMN09 View Post
I dont understand. Why do people say that this will be topped off before NYC's WTC 1? I mean, the new wtc tower has been under construction since april of last year and it is expected to start rising in the beginning of 08. It should take a while for the foundation work of CS to finish right and plus this tower is taller and has more floors! Why do we think this will be topped off before the new WTC?
Not "topped off", but pass the tower in height :-)
Don't you like a little race?

Do they work day and night?
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM   #2545
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

chicago is challenge NYC now. great building.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:24 PM   #2546
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

it's u/c!!!

Last edited by 44p; August 2nd, 2007 at 08:41 PM.
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:28 PM   #2547
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I was wondering,

Is anyone interested in having a few glasses of champaigne on lower Lakeshore Drive this Saturday evening then catching a beer and burger at the Billy Goat?

It would be a nice way to celebrate the start of construction. It will also be a nice way to have a mini-forum meet and talk about Chicago's renaissance and future skyline in person.

Anyone up for this, say between 6:30pm and 7?
YES! My uncle Spiro works at that Billy Goat (my other uncle manages the one on Wells) either way we win ! Maybe some free cheezburgos..... PM me for the details!
What's the latest on this potential get together? Will it be worth it to make the trip from NE WI (I found out that I am in fact off this Saturday)?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM   #2548
Dave H

Likes (Received): 8

Artanis, your first two reasons are correct, and your third is possible when a building is built "top-down". At the Spire site, all of the trucks and equipment are coming and going very easily without a ramp.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #2549
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
This is a possible reason:

The machinery is only able to reach the desired locations on ground level. Due to the huge weight of such machinery it is sometimes impossible to bring it to a basement level. You have to use a ramp, or a strong crane, and in cities there is not enough space available for this. The cost will also be much higher.

Another reason can be the soil condition on the basement level. Maybe the soil is too soft to bear such a drilling machine or maybe there is too much water leakage from outside to have a comfortable way of work.

A third reason that pops up in my mind:
The caissons maybe go higher than the lowest basement level?
There's another reason: money. Why spending a lot of money on a complete excavation if it's cheaper to drill some caisons.
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM   #2550
emutiny

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:

my guess is that this tower will not have basement levels. The difference between a piling and a casing is a piling is a support that is force driven into the earth down to bed rock, or deep enough where friction will support it. A caisson is drilled and filled with concrete and rebar. I might be wrong though.
emutiny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:21 PM   #2551
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Some ground breaking. They didn't even invite Donald Trump to pick up the first shovel-full of dirt and make a speech about what a great day this is for Chicago.

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM   #2552
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Some ground breaking. They didn't even invite Donald Trump to pick up the first shovel-full of dirt and make a speech about what a great day this is for Chicago.
They did invite Trump, but he was unavailable at the time as he was shoveling something else.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #2553
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by emutiny View Post
my guess is that this tower will not have basement levels. The difference between a piling and a casing is a piling is a support that is force driven into the earth down to bed rock, or deep enough where friction will support it. A caisson is drilled and filled with concrete and rebar. I might be wrong though.
It will have 7 levels of parking underground. They drill the caissons first because getting the equipment down a 70' hole would be a nightmare and be a lot more expensive than just drilling through the 70' of mud.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:08 PM   #2554
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Say hello to Mr Smiley ( arrived yesterday ).
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The rest of the gang - Note large squat cylinders, these fit on top of the rock
grinders and are where the resulting gravel is trapped by the water circulated
with the air from the compressors.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Entire Site
image hosted on flickr

I thought the nice guys from Case were moving the other 12'x40' caisson top
out of my way for these pics, but they said it was to take delivery of more stuff.
From SSP.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:32 AM   #2555
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

vanhenrik, thanks for those great videos, history in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarooMN09 View Post
I dont understand. Why do people say that this will be topped off before NYC's WTC 1? I mean, the new wtc tower has been under construction since april of last year and it is expected to start rising in the beginning of 08. It should take a while for the foundation work of CS to finish right and plus this tower is taller and has more floors! Why do we think this will be topped off before the new WTC?
We have a potentially interesting situation here. If CS does indeed pass freedom Tower, it is possible that when Freedom Tower is complete, CS could still be under construction and taller than Freedom Tower. At this point, some will say that Freedom is the tallest tower in America, despite the fact that CS is taller, since the building is complete and CS is not.

It will be very interesting to see how it all pans out. Exciting times we live in.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM   #2556
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
They did invite Trump, but he was unavailable at the time as he was shoveling something else.
no shit?

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #2557
NoAllegiance
Allegiance Aint What I Do

Likes (Received): 9

Interesting... Yes

It is true that it will be interesting, but I'm not entirely convinced that that is relevent. The CS will be taller. The FT will be shorter. That's just the way it is. The race to completion will be fun though.
"There are new sights in the sky. Twenty years ago, when one gazed at the heavens, one would see the stars, the moon, the sun, clouds and an occasional comet or two. Now, however, here in the streets of New York City, a few neighbors have moved in. These are made, not of gasses nor water nor dust, but of steel and stone and concrete. These neighbors are not carved by the hands of nature, but by the hands of men. These neighbors are buildings that scrape the sky." -1930's quote, author unknown.
NoAllegiance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:36 PM   #2558
izmir
Izmir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
What's the latest on this potential get together? Will it be worth it to make the trip from NE WI (I found out that I am in fact off this Saturday)?

Mike
Normally I could join you guys. I have a commitment this weekend but if there is a get together planned in future (like a week or so in advance) I do my best to join.

Have a pleasant weekend everyone. And, many thanks to those who keep us posted with pictures.
izmir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM   #2559
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

any new photos??
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM   #2560
Helmet Yawn

Nice to see such a special, noteworthy project will always be "pinned" up top when we log on so we can all access the wonderful progress this project is going to make over the next 10 years..........now it's a race!!!!

....here they come spinning out of the turn...it's Waterview...now it's Chicago Spire....Waterview....Spire....Spire....SPIRE....and out of nowhere, it's 550 St. Clair by a nose!!!!!
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower