daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:03 PM   #241
ChiPsy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase View Post
No one (except BV) that we know of has actually seen the design. Everything over there are paint and photoshop hacks by forumers.
Agreed. Let's see the design first; by all accounts from those who've actually seen it, it's very promising.
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:04 PM   #242
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

So all the ones we've seen so far are not real?

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:25 AM   #243
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

no, i seen the picture in the news paper and showing the new design. it's not fake. it's real

Zefire liked this post
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:37 AM   #244
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

The new design renders are not released to the public yet. I somehow get the feeling though that this will be the best design of them all. Occupied floors up to 2000ft, tapering effect restored, and a powerful light pointing upwards, just like I wanted.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:14 AM   #245
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

I just went to calatrava web site,and i notice that the old renders have been change to the new ones that all of us have seen. So these are real. I can't wait to see the new top of the building.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 05:58 PM   #246
headcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
I just went to calatrava web site,and i notice that the old renders have been change to the new ones that all of us have seen. So these are real. I can't wait to see the new top of the building.
The renderings posted on Calatrava's site, and that where in the paper are the generation3 design. When I last posted I was talking about the photoshop/paint hacks of the gen3 design over at SSP that are trying to capture the feel of the gen4 design. It is this gen4 design (tapererd/rounded top) that have not been show to the public.

SSDD
Old December 24th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #247
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

How quickly you all have changed your minds. Massing is, undeniably, critical in architecture... but, it's not everything. God is in the details. Remember? Shame on you all for not trusting Calatrava's genius.

This version of the tower is even better than the original - and I can't wait to see fourth generation (if it exists) - she just gets more beautiful with each rendition.
Old December 24th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #248
Chi649

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/st...810-qqqx=1.asp

Trump slams Kelleher’s plans for Chicago residential tower

24 December 2006 By Niall Stanage
Irish property developer Garrett Kelleher’s plans to build the world’s tallest residential building in Chicago have come under fire from one of America’s most famous businessmen.

Irish property developer Garrett Kelleher’s plans to build the world’s tallest residential building in Chicago have come under fire from one of America’s most famous businessmen.

Donald Trump, who seeks the media spotlight as assiduously as Kelleher avoids it, told the Chicago Tribune that the Irishman’s plans amounted to ‘‘financial suicide’’.

Trump asserted that ‘‘the Chicago market is not good.

“There are many planned projects that won’t get built, and I predict this is one of them.”

Trump, most recently seen presenting the TV show The Apprentice, was reacting to an amended design of Kelleher’s project. Now called the Chicago Spire, the design of the massive skyscraper by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava has been altered dramatically. Kelleher’s company, Shelbourne Development, announced earlier this month that the tower would have 160 storeys, an increase of more than 30 from the initial plan.

Although the building’s height (2,000 feet) remains unchanged, space that had been taken up by an actual spire will now be filled by the added residential floors. The building will also be broader and, whereas the original design had the tower appearing to ‘‘twist’’ through 360 degrees on its way to its summit, now the turn is only 270 degrees.

All of these changes mean that the Chicago Spire will have three times the capacity it had in its earliest stages. It will total about three million square feet, and will include 1,300 luxury residential apartments. An earlier plan to include a 150-bedroom hotel has been shelved.

The development company’s aim to sell the units at a price of about $1,000 per square foot has raised some eyebrows. The so-called Windy City has several other high-end buildings either constructed or under development.

Some real estate experts in the city have questioned whether there will be sufficient demand to make the Kelleher project a success.

By some estimates, the Spire will cost almost $2 billion to build.

Due to the fact that one of the other luxury buildings in which units are still for sale is a Trump Tower, Trump has a motive to denigrate the Spire.

Kelleher’s Chicago spokesman Thomas Murphy insisted that the project had sound financial foundations.

‘‘Garrett Kelleher is interested in marketing this project globally,” Murphy told the Chicago Sun-Times.

‘‘You look at the markets around the world, and you have to say that Chicago is underpriced and maybe it’s undiscovered.”

However, the new design for the Spire has not met with criticism merely from Kelleher’s business rivals.

Architectural commentators have also reacted negatively.

‘‘Calatrava’s latest design for the project, heavily tweaked to adapt to the specifications of its new developer, Garrett Kelleher, is a grim first step down the same path that took New York’s Ground Zero project towards its current state of dispiriting mediocrity,” Sun-Times architecture critic Kevin Nance wrote earlier this month.

‘‘The former Fordham Spire is now the Kelleher Calamity.”
Old December 24th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #249
ChgoLvr83

Likes (Received): 1

Why is Donald Trump important? Ugh. Okay, so he's building another mega-tower in Chicago, and? Damn. You'd think he was the first damn person to do anything in this city. WWDD

And while reading that "article", I had the strangest feeling of dejavu. Did they copy and paste from previouis ones?
Old December 24th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #250
uberalles
Boca Raton,FL (x-Chicago)

Just a hack, but the height is correct and based on the comments made, tapering like the old designs, rotating at the top to 360 and input about the bullet tip, this is best guess. If you're anything like me, I can't wait to see version "D".

Last edited by uberalles; December 25th, 2006 at 06:50 AM.
uberalles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #251
uberalles

Sharp would be better for me as well. This building is very hard to top out and make it look good. I put various tops and spires and ended up saying a flat top might be the best. Hope Calatrava comes through and surpirises us.
Old December 25th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #252
rider_of_rohan
Savior of Gondor

Likes (Received): 410

Hmm, Im not really liking that rounded edge. I dunno but it just looks strange. As for Trump who cares. If you havent noticed he is really trying to be in the limelight lately. He kicked out the beuty queen, is sueing a city in florida about being able to put up an oversized flag, and now this. Geeze that guy wants to get his bad hair in the spot light all the time. I for one am tired of him and will ignore him.
Old December 25th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #253
uberalles

There's a page that has many example of buildings that twist.
I really loved this design. It's space age.

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threa...47560_0_42_0_C

[IMG]http://i15.************/2i745yf.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 25th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #254
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

that twisting tower looks great!!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #255
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 7021

That tower was a proposal for GazpromNeft in St. Petersburg, Russia. Luckily, it was not selected, but a more elegant one was.
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #256
uberalles

Really, something more elegant than this? I'd like to see it. I'll see if I can find it on the internet.

Last edited by uberalles; December 28th, 2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #257
Chi649

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder27.article

A fistful of groups sure to warmly say goodbye to 2006

December 27, 2006
BY DAVID ROEDER Sun-Times Columnist
As we celebrate the holidays, remember the less fortunate, those who have lost their way and are suffering for their mistakes. Don't worry. I'm not going all Oprah here. In our preferred subject of real estate, a business that's kindest to those with sharp elbows, glib tongues and calculating minds, "less fortunate" means those who, often through no fault of their own, experienced a setback or a blown-up deal and need a comeback.
As 2006 winds down, here's a look at five entities who have reason to kick the old year in the pants as it heads out the door and warily embrace the new one

• • Christopher Carley and Garrett Kelleher, respectively once and present developers of the Santiago Calatrava spire on the lakefront. It's looking more like a crazy dream. You have to hand it to Carley and Kelleher for backing something that has Chicagoans talking, but the building is financially preposterous. Carley, genuinely smitten with Calatrava's drawings, got wise and exited before risking too many millions. Now Kelleher is in the deal trying to imitate Donald Trump, but without The Donald's network of back-end investors to acquire the condos.

The building is in its third design stage after the second one, swollen to some 1,300 units from the original 450, was panned by us locals. Probably the next step is to rename it the Richard M. Daley Spire at Hon. Burton F. Natarus Plaza. That would help at the zoning hearing but not in the marketplace, which will consign this building to that architectural purgatory known as Unbuilt Chicago.
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #258
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Carley, genuinely smitten with Calatrava's drawings, got wise and exited before risking too many millions.
Carley didn't exit because he thought it was too great a risk. He exited because he couldn't obtain the necessary financing. Had he been able to do so, he most assuredly would have proceeded along and assumed the risk.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #259
eon
2,000+

Good to hear that it's in another design phase. I hope it loses some condo capacity and gains back some of its lost elegance.
Old December 29th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #260
uberalles

Roeder proves to be a shill for the Sun-Times and their agenda. That statement about Carley getting wise is so untrue.

Last edited by uberalles; December 29th, 2006 at 04:07 AM.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower