daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #2581
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

finaly CHICAGO | Chicago Spire | 2000ft | 610m | 150 fl | U/C

Zefire liked this post
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #2582
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7three View Post
I'm not sure if i fully understand your question, but the Spire is supposed to be the deepest high-rise constructed, with 7 floors of underground parking, the basement will go down over 70 feet.
Thats what I read as well...they have to dig deeper than any other skyscraper ever constructed.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #2583
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Hmm how deep is it? Here in Seattle, we have a several really deep underground with some skyscrapers that are not tall as supertalls. One is under construciton right now is 9 level of underground parking garage with 33ish stories condo tower. Seattle's tallest tower, 76 stories Columbia Tower has more than 10 level of parking garaga underground (I think). Pacific Place (downtown shopping mall) has nine level of underground parking garage too. The rest of them are over a hundred feet deep. I'm wondering about Chicago Spire's underground parking garage and basement.

Last edited by CrazyAboutCities; August 6th, 2007 at 08:48 AM.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #2584
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

of course nothng is a certainty. that said, neither developers themselves or those who finance them wish to become involved with a project that turns out to be a "black hole".

i couldn't name all the possible jobs and positions of people involved with this project finanacially for whom it is a pocket book issue, not to mention an expenditure of time that would need to be fullfilled to make that time worthwhile.

why does Helmet Yawn think he knows more about the chances of the Spire getting built than do the developers, the financeers, the city of Chicago? If I were going to go for advice on how this one will advance, would I be better off talking to people intimately involved with the project or trust Yawn's "word on the street is...".

Doe this mean that if the Spire isn't built, Yawn is vindicated? No. On a two sided issue, lots of people end up being on both sides. If the experts say that the Cubs can't possibly get into the WS this year, let alone win it and my dauchshund wearing his hat with the big red "C" on it and a little Cub jersey is sure they will...if the Cubs do take it all, does that make Snickers (my pouch) a better baseball expert than the big boys?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #2585
SGMD1

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by SGMD1; September 21st, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
SGMD1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #2586
Helmet Yawn

I wish some of you didn't look at Architecture as if we were rooting for our favorite sports team to win the big game. It's nice to be passionate, but let's try to retain a little civility.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #2587
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
I wish some of you didn't look at Architecture as if we were rooting for our favorite sports team to win the big game. It's nice to be passionate, but let's try to retain a little civility.
just curious, what is your favorite building in Chicago? or top 3?
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #2588
Wikidboo

Sorry if this has already been answered but I couldnt find it anywhere.
How many condo's is this magnificent building going to contain ?

Also, do they install the caissons and then dig out the basement and lay the foundation ?

Thanks
Wikidboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #2589
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

I cant wait for this to start rising above the Seares Tower when is completeion expected to be done?
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #2590
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

From SSP
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #2591
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorhoge View Post
I cant wait for this to start rising above the Seares Tower when is completeion expected to be done?
2010 I believe....

Zefire liked this post
rogerick1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #2592
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I don't think you're making the distinction between civic pride and architectural interest. while you do raise some interesting issues, i *highly* doubt that kelleher would be building a relatively speculative building, especially if that would clear him out of the bank if it failed. incidentally, how much progress did 5 South Dearborn make before flopping? I think at one point you flipped from being realistic to being contrarian.

By the way, can someone clear something up for me? I recall reading somewhere (a while, while, while back) that 2000 ft is the tallest a building can go before it requires something special from the FAA. Is this true? Because hot damn, it would be rockin' if it were near impossible for any building to actually top the Chicago Spire in the US.
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #2593
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

If I am not mistaken, the FAA height restrictions are based on a formula based on the distance from the airport. And often times if you violate the height restriction, it is resolved by adding lights or orange flags and requires notification to the FAA in advance. Maybe there is a height restriction altogether to the FAA? (Who would have thought they would need to pass a building restriction for 2,000'!) Or maybe based on the distance from OHare or Midway, the height restriction is 2,000' for the general downtown area. Who would regulate this?
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #2594
Helmet Yawn

Not at all. I just don't like this building. It pales in comparison to the original Fordham scheme which I thought was very promising. As such, I can't get as excited by the prospect of it being built as apparently everyone else on this site can.

In my opinion - which I am entitled to - this 3rd version is not even a very good 'Calatrava'. I for one don't buy the argument that any Calatrava is a good Calatrava. This is Chicago, not Des Moines.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #2595
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikidboo View Post
Sorry if this has already been answered but I couldnt find it anywhere.
How many condo's is this magnificent building going to contain ?

Also, do they install the caissons and then dig out the basement and lay the foundation ?

Thanks
1200 units. [1] http://archrecord.construction.com/n...0calatrava.asp

and

yes.

Last edited by bnk; August 7th, 2007 at 06:14 AM.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #2596
uberalles
Boca Raton,FL (x-Chicago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
If I am not mistaken, the FAA height restrictions are based on a formula based on the distance from the airport. And often times if you violate the height restriction, it is resolved by adding lights or orange flags and requires notification to the FAA in advance. Maybe there is a height restriction altogether to the FAA? (Who would have thought they would need to pass a building restriction for 2,000'!) Or maybe based on the distance from OHare or Midway, the height restriction is 2,000' for the general downtown area. Who would regulate this?
Not sure but the FAA controls airspace at 3,000 on up. They need 1,000 foot vertical separation at low altitudes and 2000 at higher altitudes. So if they tell some one to fly at 3000 feet they can be assured they have the 1000 foot clearence over anything on the ground. If you have ground objects above 2000, you essentially cut out clearing planes at 3000 feet and then have to go to 4000. That's a lot of airspace.

You can go over 2000 but have to go through an approval process. A lot of forms and time involved. I guess then the ATC will have to put on a map this obstruction and make a special case for it. Not something the FAA wants to get into the habit of.
uberalles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #2597
uberalles
Boca Raton,FL (x-Chicago)

Quote:
Not at all. I just don't like this building. It pales in comparison to the original Fordham scheme which I thought was very promising. As such, I can't get as excited by the prospect of it being built as apparently everyone else on this site can.

In my opinion - which I am entitled to - this 3rd version is not even a very good 'Calatrava'. I for one don't buy the argument that any Calatrava is a good Calatrava. This is Chicago, not Des Moines.
Yeah, a great many of us thought the first 2 designs were the best. They weren't feasible. Meaning Kelleher wanted to make money and not lose money. The first design had only 400 units.

I wonder if more people would like this building more if they didn't see the frist 2 designs. All in all I agree that this isn't the best Calatrava. I'm sure Calatrava would also likes to build the first designs. Calatrava is under guide lines and really effects his freedom to create a better design.

Still, a twisting building is more than I can ask for. Its still a huge leap in design and may eventually be the icon we hoped for. Time will tell.
uberalles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #2598
Lusitania
Luxury and Speed

Out of curiosity what precaution's will be made to insure the building is safe? also considering the freeway/highway is so close, could that not be seen as a possible way for an individual to compromise the building in some way, I have faith that this has already been considered and in the efforts of the Chicago PD and NSA, but Im simply curious if anyone knows.
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #2599
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 74

Whats the difference between the highway and a common street?
Guess the highway is even safer than a street, due to the elevation and the more complicated possibility to drive a carbomb right in the building

Last edited by devilsadvocate; August 7th, 2007 at 01:52 PM.
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #2600
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

highway only for cars?

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower