daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #2661
SGMD1

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by SGMD1; September 21st, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
SGMD1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #2662
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

These past few days have been dark and cloudy.

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #2663
vexxed82

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
this is amazing to me. I cant see how this can stay this way. its the highest point in the country!! and only 1 person will have access to it?? seems crazy.

a smart business man will buy the top floor and charge $15 bucks to come up.
if you were a multi-multi-millionairre would you want strangers flocking to your front door in droves of thousands every day...its all about exclusivity. I believe the owners will have their own observation deck at the top. Sucks for us, but it is a big seling point. We want this thing to sell out so we can get another right?
vexxed82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #2664
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
thanks SGMD1!!
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #2665
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

Likes (Received): 3362

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
if you were a multi-multi-millionairre would you want strangers flocking to your front door in droves of thousands every day...its all about exclusivity. I believe the owners will have their own observation deck at the top. Sucks for us, but it is a big seling point. We want this thing to sell out so we can get another right?
Well, high powered tenants in other supertalls could say the same thing- but they don't. It's not as if someone visiting a sky deck is gonna be going through the front rooms of the tenants. Look at the Sears or John Hancock, tourists go in one entrance go all they way up in one elevator, no-one on the floors between gets disturbed- everyone's happy. Anyway, sky decks can mean big money, I mean, for the first 20 years of existence the ESB got most of its profits from tourists. - Yeah I know these a a different set of circumstances, but if anything, a sky deck in North America's tallest building, and the worlds second tallest, could be highly profitable.

Last edited by PresidentBjork; August 9th, 2007 at 06:09 PM.
PresidentBjork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #2666
NoAllegiance
Allegiance Aint What I Do

Likes (Received): 9

It's All About The Dollars!

I happen to agree with PresidentBjork on this one. There are two options. Option 1: a guy who wants the world's highest apartment pays a fixed ludicrous amount of money for a room, and a bunch of tourists are upset. Option 2: You want to be on top of North America's highest building, so you pay a ludicrous entrance fee, along with a thousand of like minded folks, and one guy is upset. Repeat Option 2 for 365 days a year for so many years.
Personally, I'd like to pay the ludicrous entrance fee and get a view for a few minutes than let some rich guy have all the fun.
"There are new sights in the sky. Twenty years ago, when one gazed at the heavens, one would see the stars, the moon, the sun, clouds and an occasional comet or two. Now, however, here in the streets of New York City, a few neighbors have moved in. These are made, not of gasses nor water nor dust, but of steel and stone and concrete. These neighbors are not carved by the hands of nature, but by the hands of men. These neighbors are buildings that scrape the sky." -1930's quote, author unknown.
NoAllegiance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #2667
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Plus security would cost more money.

Zefire liked this post
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #2668
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentBjork View Post
Well, high powered tenants in other supertalls could say the same thing- but they don't. It's not as if someone visiting a sky deck is gonna be going through the front rooms of the tenants. Look at the Sears or John Hancock, tourists go in one entrance go all they way up in one elevator, no-one on the floors between gets disturbed- everyone's happy. Anyway, sky decks can mean big money, I mean, for the first 20 years of existence the ESB got most of its profits from tourists. - Yeah I know these a a different set of circumstances, but if anything, a sky deck in North America's tallest building, and the worlds second tallest, could be highly profitable.
Maybe the tallest skydeck in the world.
Can't understand, why they gonna make a skydeck at Burj Dubai only on level 124?
Y not on level 160? Can't get through this!
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #2669
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

That's true, if one were planned it could may well the worlds highest observation deck.
Maybe those floors above the 124th in the Burj Dubai would command rents that are just to good to ignore even one?

Maybe the floor plans won't be big enough to allow enough people in at one time to be profitable.
- I don't really know.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #2670
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Don't forget that the public observation deck is a HUGE profit center for a tall building owner (if it wasn't, there wouldn't be any). Just multiply the number of people whom visit the Sears and John Hancock decks in Chicago every year by their $12-13 admission fee and find out how much.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the observation deck on the pre-2001-09-11 2 WTC pulled in more money for the Port Authority than the rent charged on the rest of the building.

OTOH, I assume that the Spire's owner determined that that was still not enough to overcome the loss in sales/rent on the penthouse and lost space on each floor for the dedicated elevator shaft along with the other hassles of running such a facility.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #2671
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Yup, you're right mgk, they'd need a single elevator shaft which would need to occupy a lot of space.

Zefire liked this post
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #2672
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvesterofsorrows View Post
Yup, you're right mgk, they'd need a single elevator shaft which would need to occupy a lot of space.
Yep a dedicated shaft would consume much too much square feet. But if a deck could be arranged within the present elevator schematic plan than it would indeed turn a profit.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #2673
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

I guess thats the price we pay for the buildings small floor plan.
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #2674
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

If only it where like futurama where there was just a tube and it shot yo all the way up.

Zefire liked this post
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #2675
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

I understand the concern.

Think about it... It could turn Chicago Spires into huge profit. Let tourists in and pay the tickets that will cover homeowners's HOA monthly to go all the way to top for observation deck. Of course have separate enterance. Private enterance should only for homeowners and their guests ONLY. It would be fair to everyone!

Another option... BE FRIEND WITH CHICAGO SPIRES HOMEOWNERS so they might invite you to their units and take advantage of the views.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #2676
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
if you were a multi-multi-millionairre would you want strangers flocking to your front door in droves of thousands every day...
hell yea I would. obviously I wouldnt have it be my personal home. but it would be quite the moeny maker

Quote:
its all about exclusivity. I believe the owners will have their own observation deck at the top. Sucks for us, but it is a big seling point. We want this thing to sell out so we can get another right?

another?? sweet, lets do it
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #2677
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I understand the concern.

Another option... BE FRIEND WITH CHICAGO SPIRES HOMEOWNERS so they might invite you to their units and take advantage of the views.
hehe, stand outside the main foyer asking any passing stranger if I could be their 'friend'

...until the concierge asks me to leave because I'm making a scene

ah well, worth a try!
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #2678
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

das eney one has a blue print of the baisment or so wee can see the baisment levels ?

Zefire liked this post
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #2679
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

new update

August 7th

Aug 9th pics

Zefire liked this post
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #2680
opium
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

^Man , its almost finished . That was fast .

Zefire liked this post
opium no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower