daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #2741
jessemh431

Likes (Received): 86

i know everyones gonna get pissed off at me, but i think it's stupid. why doesn chicago need so many buildings. also, it looks like a twizzler cus its all twisted. version F is the best. Version C looks like a Twizzler with a bite out if it thats been untwisted a little bit.
jessemh431 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #2742
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Chicago needs skyscrapers to meet up the growth needs. Chicago population is rebounding after years of lost some of its populations to the suburbs. Now people are moving back in the city. That made sense why Chicago needs build more skyscrapers to need the demand.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #2743
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
So it's a test caisson? What's the point of a test caisson?
To test/make sure it will be able to handle the weight. It will be used as an actual caisson as well.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #2744
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

more photos please!
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #2745
chukchi

Likes (Received): 17

What a good idea!!! Celebrating with champagne!!!! Shame on me that I haven't celebrated it yet. As long as I don't drink alcohol I think I will celebrate it with a glass of milk
chukchi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #2746
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
You know I can never figure out why 99% of the people on the streets of Chicago have never even heard of this project or many other buildings in site prep or U/C. I doubt that this was the case for the Aon, Hancock, or Sears before they were built. Perhaps some older foumers could enlighten us about the knowledge in the press before these were site prep and U/C compared to what we are currently experiencing, which is almost a total blackout of information shared with the general public. This lack of any public knowledge of said construction that will be the tallest in North America is rather perverse in my opinion. Mabey it is the general dumbing down of America that is finally catching up to us. I seem to think that the general public will only hear about this project until it surpasses the current tallest building in the USA the Sears Tower. Of course Chicagoans will know about it when it pokes its head above the ground in about a year and a half but the total, USA, lay public, not.

BTW along a similar theme probably 99% of Americans have never even heard of Dubai or that the tallest building in the world if currently U/C. Rather sad indeed.

I don't know about chicago, but in my area, my relatives and the people I know all are well informed about dubai (although I have to admit they care more about China's growth). but maybe they are an ecception...
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #2747
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Refresher view from the Presention to Friends of the Parks.

For those that would like a general overview of the site and park.

http://www.neweastside.org/ChicagoSpire2007.html

Last edited by bnk; September 12th, 2007 at 03:52 AM.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #2748
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3181

I hope this tower when it's built doesn't look like it's leaning too much, such as in renders. Wouldn't that be kind of lame on the Chicago skyline? Or is that taboo? I see no critcizm of this Calatrava thing for half a year now (and there was before).
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #2749
Girlyman
everything is...

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
You know I can never figure out why 99% of the people on the streets of Chicago have never even heard of this project or many other buildings in site prep or U/C. I doubt that this was the case for the Aon, Hancock, or Sears before they were built. Perhaps some older foumers could enlighten us about the knowledge in the press before these were site prep and U/C compared to what we are currently experiencing, which is almost a total blackout of information shared with the general public. This lack of any public knowledge of said construction that will be the tallest in North America is rather perverse in my opinion. Mabey it is the general dumbing down of America that is finally catching up to us. I seem to think that the general public will only hear about this project until it surpasses the current tallest building in the USA the Sears Tower. Of course Chicagoans will know about it when it pokes its head above the ground in about a year and a half but the total, USA, lay public, not.
Maybe they dont want to make too much of the fact that a building developed by an Irishman and designed by a Spaniard will be taller than the Freedom Tower.

Its bad for national morale.
Girlyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #2750
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

Anyone got a better diagram?
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #2751
igor

Likes (Received): 15493

Where here a tower Russia?
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #2752
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

That's why I asked for a better diagram.
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #2753
Jude12
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 43

CS is leaning.
Jude12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #2754
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyguy View Post
That's why I asked for a better diagram.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...71&postcount=1
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #2755
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
To test/make sure it will be able to handle the weight. It will be used as an actual caisson as well.
No kidding! Imagine having to break that thing up and remove it just after it's solidified!

Anyway, I haven't seen a photo update for a few days. Anything new? Can someone get some shots of the progress?

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #2756
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
I hope this tower when it's built doesn't look like it's leaning too much, such as in renders. Wouldn't that be kind of lame on the Chicago skyline? Or is that taboo? I see no critcizm of this Calatrava thing for half a year now (and there was before).
Am I confused, or is this the dumbest question in history? Are you suggesting that a 2000 foot skyscraper would be built leaning?
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #2757
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden View Post
Am I confused, or is this the dumbest question in history? Are you suggesting that a 2000 foot skyscraper would be built leaning?
I did have to read it a few times myself.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #2758
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlyman View Post
Maybe they dont want to make too much of the fact that a building developed by an Irishman and designed by a Spaniard will be taller than the Freedom Tower.

Are you serious? I hope not.

I just thinking the U.S. just has a hell a lot of tall buildings (Chicago included) and they are kind of numb to another one at least until it makes it presence felt.

Heck, if it were not for the plot of it sins on and the events surrounding it I don't think Freedom Tower would likely even get that much pub nationally and even among some New Yorkers.

Anything to do with patriontism or national morale? No.
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #2759
theworldshallcry
BAMMED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlyman View Post

During the last great skyscraper race in the 1920's, half our country were immigrants. It ain't so bad. Kelleher is welcome, decades after Irish immigrants became "white people."
theworldshallcry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #2760
Sandeman
everything's looking up

Likes (Received): 1

Kelleher is going to have an easy time bringing in foreign investers with the US dollar tanking as much as it is.... I just returned from Europe and felt the bite everytime I paid for something... plus I talked to British and Swiss real estate investors who are buying up everything they can because their money is worth so damn much...

Us Americans are stuck with progressively shitty money... and thousands of our kids are running around with guns in the middle east???? While at the same time foreign investors are coming over here and buying everything up for chicken scratch! This HAS to change!!!

Last edited by Sandeman; August 16th, 2007 at 01:28 AM.
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower