daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #281
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder03.article

SPIRE MIRE: Gail Spreen, president of the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents, said leaders of the civic group are due to meet Thursday to consider endorsing the latest redesign of the Chicago Spire, the proposed Santiago Calatrava building near Navy Pier. She said the new version retains the roughly 1,300 units planned in a former and widely panned design. But she said it also adds some grace and a true spire that were present in Calatrava's original proposal.

That might help with the politics, but economics is this building's most formidable foe.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #282
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

I really like the new design. I would think that with the amount of publicity is creating now they should not have a problem selling the units.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #283
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 7021

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberalles View Post
No not at all. I thought Design "C" was not very good and at times really didn't care if it got built or sometimes leaned towards wishing it didn't get built. The Chicago skyline is a great skyline and want nothing that is sub standard.

You are dead on when you say
"You want them to finalize the design as quickly as possible, get it approved, and get it built"

Yep, but I know this is just opinions. I don't understand how you could like design "C" but not really going to question it. I really do love this new design. As I said, it'll probably be way more breath taking in real life than what you see in just a model.
Design "C"? Are you referring to this:
If yes, then I pick "B" out of those four, although I would like the top to continue curving inwards forming a "twisting" cone sort of thing.

But chances are it will still have a couple redesigns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoLvr83 View Post
My apologies.

Ive been a bit testy this week.
It's all good, no harm done.
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #284
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

to me C is the besets one out of all of them, i wish they could build the C one

Zefire liked this post
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #285
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

I like the way the spiral on the lower levels turns into parallel lines towards the top. How would the tower look if at the top, those parallel lines came together in a point with architectural similiarlities to the way older skyscrapers had more triangulated tops?

Visuale them coming together at the top of the building in a somewhat rounded version of the more angular roof tops of older skyscrapers.

Does that sound appealing to anybody but me?

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #286
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAKxRUSx View Post
Design "C"? Are you referring to this:
No. Those renderings were made by a forumer. The latest proposal is the 4th official version publicly shown.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #287
uberalles
Boca Raton,FL (x-Chicago)

Likes (Received): 0

xAKxRUSx,

Must be some confusion here. Here are the 4 official designs.

design "A"................................"B"................................................."C"............................................."D"
uberalles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #288
xAKxRUSx

Yes, I do believe there is confusion.

In that case I can't stand both "C" and "D"
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #289
uberalles

Quote:
Yes, I do believe there is confusion.

In that case I can't stand both "C" and "D"
I think we found some common ground here. I can't stand "C" either.
I really liked the first design we ever saw for this.

I think the first 2 designs are owned by the previous developer, but the official statement from the current developer is that the first 2 designs were not economically feasible so they weren't an option anyways. There weren't enough units in them.

I'm waiting to see renders of design "D" to get a better idea of what it will look like.
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #290
xAKxRUSx

I like the first two designs, but then again I can understand how they aren't economically feasible (being a business/econ person myself.)
Maybe "D" can be improved by making it more of a cone. But then, not as many condos will be put in... and I dunno how much they need (I don't think anyone has these stats.)

But then the artistic side of me says, well if we're just trying to make money or build something just to break even... why not just build a block or something boring. Then lose all the design, because who cares, it probably only costs more money. And for that reason I want a better design. Because its not only about making money or in this case breaking even.
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #291
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

the best would be if they added the spire from design B to the top of design D

.... ... i wish

Zefire liked this post
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #292
uberalles

Quote:
... But then, not as many condos will be put in... and I dunno how much they need (I don't think anyone has these stats.)

But then the artistic side of me says, well if we're just trying to make money or build something just to break even... why not just build a block or something boring. Then lose all the design, because who cares, it probably only costs more money. And for that reason I want a better design. Because its not only about making money or in this case breaking even.
They are planning for 1300 units. I think the first design had 400.

Since this is residential building being targeted for an international market, it's a must that this building be a piece of art that draws these people.

It's refreshing to see "less economical" buildings poping up all over Chicago. We have the Aqua, Waterview, CS coming. What a great time this is.
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #293
xAKxRUSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberalles View Post
Since this is residential building being targeted for an international market, it's a must that this building be a piece of art that draws these people.
Exactly, and that is why I feel Chicago needs something better than this last design.
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #294
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

sorry to interrupt guys, but where can i find the last part of this thread? i can only find part one..
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #295
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

I can not beleive some of you do not like this land mark. Have you seen was suround this building. West of it is taco bell color buildings. Across is Lake shore east the only thing good there is the aqua and north is that tall brown building. So let's calatrava a chance.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #296
Chi649

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
I can not beleive some of you do not like this land mark. Have you seen was suround this building. West of it is taco bell color buildings. Across is Lake shore east the only thing good there is the aqua and north is that tall brown building. So let's calatrava a chance.
We really need to wait for the new renderings, this may change some peoples minds. My first impression is that I don't like the newest design but buildings have a tendency to grow on me. Since you mentioned North Pier Apartment Tower (tall brown building), I figure I'll take this chance to say just how hideous I think this building is. I really can't believe they built such a piece of crap in this prominent of a location.
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #297
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo View Post
sorry to interrupt guys, but where can i find the last part of this thread? i can only find part one..
This is the last part of the thread. Do you mean the thread preceding this version? If so, then check the opening post of this thread.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #298
ChiPsy

[QUOTE=Chi649;11143275]http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder03.article

SPIRE MIRE: Gail Spreen, president of the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents, said leaders of the civic group are due to meet Thursday to consider endorsing the latest redesign of the Chicago Spire, the proposed Santiago Calatrava building near Navy Pier. She said the new version retains the roughly 1,300 units planned in a former and widely panned design. But she said it also adds some grace and a true spire that were present in Calatrava's original proposal.

So did SOAR meet about this or not?
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #299
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

I can't believe anyone thinks that the latest design looks LESS phallic. I hate it. I detest it. I still prefer the version just prior to this one.

Oh, and I can't believe we're trying to judge a building based on a grainy photo of a 50th-scale model.
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #300
Chi649

I took the only model of D that I have seen and tried to extrapolate the curve lines. Looks a little crappy but here it is nonetheless:

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower