daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #2981
JPmaverick

Likes (Received): 0

Below is a photo of the area surrounding the Chicago Spire site, circa 1963.

JPmaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #2982
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6826

interesting

any shots of this place from 1920-1930's?
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #2983
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 74

WQow, Chicago made a big change!
No comparison to today
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #2984
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

lol, you gotta love the LSD S-curve!
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #2985
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

dats a curve....would love to drag knee one dat bad boy
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2986
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhorizon5 View Post
Pictures from yesterday (28th), taken around 2pm:

Click here for all pics

There were visitors on the site, and I also got a terrific video of the workers taking a rebar column and dropping it into one of the caissons - I'll post the video soon after I reencode it.

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

Click here for full pic

...and videos coming soon

-eventhorizon
From SSP
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #2987
Sandeman
everything's looking up

Likes (Received): 1

Any sane local would tell a person not to jump off a Chicago River bridge. But in this specific case, given what I've learned about the Chicago River, I would say, really, don't jump into that river.

First of all, the health issue. The State of Illinois, along with such illustrious people as the Lieutenant-Governor and the Friends of the Chicago River, have sworn to "make the Chicago River swimmable by 2020." Think about this for a minute. This initiative started in 2003, which means they're expecting it to take 17 years of concerted efforts to clean up the river before anyone could safely swim in it. This gives you some idea of the state of the river's water quality.

While various points along the river are currently designed for "full immersion uses," the head of the Friends of the Chicago River says, "These stretches now have far too much bacteria."

Over the course of decades, slaughterhouses, tanneries, rolled steel plants, boat manufacturers, lumberyards, and graineries have lined the Chicago River and emptied their waste right into it. There's a photo from 1911 of a stretch of the river that ran next to the stockyards. This stretch was called "Bubbly Creek" because the stockyards used to fling their offal -- yes, that's cow parts -- into the river. As the stuff decomposed, the gases bubbled to the surface, giving it its name. But in this picture, the sewage is so thick, it's crusted over, and a chicken is even standing on top of it. Flash forward 90 years, and this is the river you're considering diving into.

Yes, it's cleaner than it used to be. The City built the Sanitary and Ship Canal, which diverted water from Lake Michigan into the Chicago River at a rate of six billion gallons per day. This huge onrush of water turned the river into the other direction, so that it emptied instead into the Mississippi River. It also flushed out the pollutants into the Mississippi, which drains into the Gulf of Mexico, and hello New Orleans! This cleaned up the river, but then in the 1930s the US government made the city build a dam to slow the river's flow, and that turned it into a sewer pit again. In the 1960s, people started cleaning up the river once more, and there's been quite a bit of progress, but there are still industrial metals trapped in the sediment and bad things in the water, as we'll see.

The Illinois EPA determines whether it's safe to swim in water by the level of fecal coliform bacteria. When it comes to swimmability, they don't test for metals or pesticides, just fecal coliform bacteria. Too much of this, and no swimming is allowed. And the Chicago River has too much. Way too much, judging by the fact that people think it will take seventeen years to get rid of the bacteria. To get technical about it, if more than 200 observations of fecal coliform bacteria are present in 100 ml of water, AND if more than 10% of the samples over a 30-day period contain more than 400 observations per 100 ml, then no swimming is allowed.

People also like to go boating and fishing on the Chicago River. This is called a secondary or recreational use. The Illinois EPA didn't test for this category of use, so I can't say whether it's safe to do that or not.

The Illinois EPA does test to see if it's safe to eat the fish you catch, and if fish can even live in the waters in the first place. These tests are called fish consumption and aquatic use tests. For these assessments, different people use various methods in different parts of the state, but basically they look at the fish to see if they're healthy or diseased, they look at the vegetation on the riverbank to see if that looks good or if it's dying, they look at the number of bugs in the river mud, and they test the water chemistry. It's in these assessments that you get records of heavy metals, pesticides, oil and grease, mining runoff, stuff like that.

They evaluate the Chicago River and Calumet Basin as one area and here's how it scored:

Aquatic Life -- Poor
This means that it would be difficult for aquatic life to survive in this environment.

Fish Consumption -- Poor
This means that for at least one species of fish, human consumption of any kind is banned.

Indigenous Aquatic Life -- Mixed good and fair
I don't trust this more lenient assessment, given that the ratings are worse in more general categories.

Primary Contact (swimming) -- Nonsupported
No swimming! Too much poo!

Specifically, evaluators found in the various branches and channels of the Chicago River excess algal growth, dissolved oxygen, ammonia, nitrogen, phosphorous, zinc, nickel, and PCBs. These things come from sewage overflows, storm and urban runoff, channelization, "municipal point sources," and "source unknown."

Still want to swim in the Chicago River?
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #2988
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPmaverick View Post

this photo is amazing, considering what the area (especially the south side of the river) looks like today.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #2989
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

that photo is cool. I had no idea that LSD was like that.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #2990
indyfan

Oh man I remember that hidious S curve well. What horrible traffic tie-ups that used to cause before they smoothed it out.
indyfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #2991
Krom

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider1983 View Post
The 60's DID rock.
Krom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #2992
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

old farts
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #2993
b1gh0u5e

Don't forget about the Dave Matthews Band "accidentally" draining their tour buses' sewage tanks into the river as they crossed over one of the bridges a few years back.
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #2994
JJC_Chicago_Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
interesting

any shots of this place from 1920-1930's?
I have two pictures.. one from the 30's.. believe it to be 1937 when the LSD bridge opened.

And just to show the change from 1963 to 1968...

JJC_Chicago_Nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #2995
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Fantastic pics, LST looked alien in that context.

Any pics from the east looking back at the city from that era?
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #2996
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Cool old pictures, looks really devoid in this area.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #2997
NoAllegiance
Allegiance Aint What I Do

Likes (Received): 9

Nostalgia

Aww, all the people from Chicago are getting nostalgic. I wouldn't be suprised if I read the phrase "Back in my day..." or " In the good ol' days..."
But seriously, great pictures. Nice contrast between the time periods. Let's focus on some current updates now.
"There are new sights in the sky. Twenty years ago, when one gazed at the heavens, one would see the stars, the moon, the sun, clouds and an occasional comet or two. Now, however, here in the streets of New York City, a few neighbors have moved in. These are made, not of gasses nor water nor dust, but of steel and stone and concrete. These neighbors are not carved by the hands of nature, but by the hands of men. These neighbors are buildings that scrape the sky." -1930's quote, author unknown.
NoAllegiance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #2998
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

great updates, seems the foundation is progressing very well
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #2999
ABQalex

Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPmaverick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider1983 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
Oh man I remember that hidious S curve well. What horrible traffic tie-ups that used to cause before they smoothed it out.
My family has many old encyclopedias from the '30s through the '60s, and I remember looking at the aerial pics of the lakefront in the articles on Chicago and being completely perturbed by that sharp corner/curve in Lake Shore Drive. I'd always wondered if people had to come to a complete stop, like at an intersection, but I see that it actually is a curve. I guess they just slowed down a lot to get through it.

The Chicago Spire is my absolute favorite building going up atm. Twisting buildings are just wonderful in my view. This building looks fabulous and I can't wait to see what it is actually going to look like in the Chicago skyline. It should be great!
ABQalex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #3000
Astropolis

It's terrible how people have to make everything sexual.
This building has the best design EVER!
Astropolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower